TheWilkens

How about

"Caching the Universe, One Planet at a time"

or

"Following invisible signals into strange places since 19??"

or

"Geocaching: The only WORLD sport"

and for the more amusing out there

"Geocaching: Identifying holes in walls, knots in trees, and crevices in Earth for 10 years"

Just some thoughts. JBF of Team Singchihuahua

Hmmm.... how about The sport where You are the search engine!

Kinda has a nice ring to it, don'tcha think? B)

I hate that slogan. I used a seam puller to remove it from my geocaching hat. I need to order a new hat soon 'cause my old one shrunk in the wash (!!), but I'm reluctant to because of the stupid slogan.

Hmmm.... how about The sport where You are the search engine!

Kinda has a nice ring to it, don'tcha think?  B)

I hate that slogan. I used a seam puller to remove it from my geocaching hat. I need to order a new hat soon 'cause my old one shrunk in the wash (!!), but I'm reluctant to because of the stupid slogan.

Yeah, I'm not fond of it, either. Mainly because:

a) Geocaching.com IS a search engine, and therefore the motto isn't entirely accurate,

and

B) there are so many reasons to geocache.... searching's only one of them. And many caches are only a superficial search anyway.

c) Search engine implies that someone inputs a search request and the engine goes and finds the information. In geocaching, though, it's more like someone puts information in, and the "engine" goes out to find it, all on its own.

Anyway, it's just a motto. I don't particularly like it, but hey-- I don't have to use it.

Anyway, it's just a motto. I don't particularly like it, but hey-- I don't have to use it.

Man. Talk about overanalyzing a slogan. You kind of went out on your own tangent as well. You are a biological engine and you go out and search for caches. Therefore you are the search engine. See?

BTW a motto is best defined as a guiding principle. You are the Search Engine is a slogan. Since this is off-topic anyway, come up with your best motto instead.

...BTW a motto is best defined as a guiding principle. You are the Search Engine is a slogan. Since this is off-topic anyway, come up with your best motto instead.

I like the (slightly embellished) words of Frank Turner:

Get A Life!

... Go Geocaching

getalife.gif

B)

Edited: To add the image on the back of the MiGO t-shirts

(click on the image for some background information).

Edited by sept1c_tank
What's the latin for "If you don't like it, don't look for it?' B)

What's with everyone wanting to use latin?

It's a dead language because it's hard to speak. Ever say something to a friend in latin? they look at you like you're a raving lunatic.

and it flows about as well as molasses in December.

oh, back on topic: I think the simple: Geocachers do it in the woods! works well, but nowadays I think it might have to be "Geocachers do it in parking lots"

What's that in latin?

It's a dead language because it's hard to speak. Ever say something to a friend in latin? they look at you like you're a raving lunatic.

Tinniat, tinniat, tintinnabulum

trahimur in glacie, post mulum curtum!

tinniat! tinniat! tintinnabulum!

trahimur in glacie, post mulum curtum!!

And something else to think about!!!

Gadeamus, igitur, juvenes dum summus!

Spes mea in Deo est.

(I love Latin! )

And most of my friends think I'm a raving lunatic, so it's okay!

("Lunatic" comes from the Latin word "Luna" which means "moon". So, there ya go!)

Edited by Morgan's Marauders

tinniat! tinniat! tintinnabulum!

Spes mea in Deo est. . . .

Okay, I give up. Translation pleeeeze . . . <_<

The current slogan is good enough for me. We had this discussion several years ago and came up with the one we have now.

Of course people will say that times have changed and it's time to come up with a new one. To which I ask...what do we do another 3 years from now? Do we keep changing the slogan or do we commit to one?

There are a couple of people in here that live to cause a conterversary....ignore them. They have their own agenda.

The bottom line is that "You are the search engine" is the official slogan and I'll stick with it.

El Diablo

tinniat!  tinniat!  tintinnabulum!

Spes mea in Deo est. . . .

Okay, I give up. Translation pleeeeze . . . <_<

The first is the chorus of "Jingle Bells" in latin.

The second is (misspelled) Rejoice while we are young.

The third is "I put my trust in God"

All loose translations.

I'll offer up

"Exegi monumentum aere perennius." I have erected a monument more lasting than bronze. (Horace)

"Neutiquam erro." (I am not lost.)

"Romani ite domus" (Roman go home! ---(Monty Phyton's Life of Brian))

"Fabricati diem" (Make my day)

"Prehende uxorem meam, sis!" (Take my wife, please!)

"Corripe Cervisiam" (Seize the beer!)

"Carpe Narem" (Pick your nose)

"Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare." (I think some people in togas are plotting against me.)

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes." (essentially it says, "if you can read this, you're overeducated.")

and my personal favorite:

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur" (Anything said in Latin sounds profound.)

All praise be to Google. I claim responsibility for misspellings or poor grammer.

Edit: Oh, and El Diablo, the OP says "tongue in cheek." I'll stick with the original too. I just need to translate it into latin so it sounds profound . . .

Edited by Sputnik 57
Based on this thread I'll stick with locus lingua, or a bastardized "language of location" - maybe add "speak" in there somewhere.

locus lingua is good, then again I am a fan of the "language of location" slogan - very cool.

But... "locus lingua", when run through my mind, makes me think of a considerate insectiod lover engaged in amourous activities... <_<

Based on this thread I'll stick with locus lingua, or a bastardized "language of location" - maybe add "speak" in there somewhere.

locus lingua is good, then again I am a fan of the "language of location" slogan - very cool.

But... "locus lingua", when run through my mind, makes me think of a considerate insectiod lover engaged in amourous activities... <_<

Was the bug's first name, Connie? :unsure:<_<

Edited by Snoogans