Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OccidentalErrant

Ham Radio License??

I thought ya needed a license to operate ham radio? even in the 2 meter band? I know that they require a test to get one (if so).. and is it worth it?

Just curious. My cell phone goes into roaming.. and no service most of the time when I am outside of the city limits here in the PNW.

The Tech license is reasonably easy and not very expensive (12 bucks). It is worth it if you like community service events like bike race support and storm spotting. Its fun to take the radio with me while caching.

The Tech license is reasonably easy and not very expensive (12 bucks). It is worth it if you like community service events like bike race support and storm spotting. Its fun to take the radio with me while caching.

Aahh,, Thanks.. That bears looking into then. :D

Ham Radio License??, Don't ya need one to operate even a 2M?

No, the license is optional - just as it is for hunting, fishing, driving a car, installing high-voltage electrical systems and practicing medicine.

Mind you, if you get caught its a Federal charge & conviction. Most operators elect to go through with the formality of getting a license. B)

Cheers!

C-A

No, the license is optional - just as it is for hunting, fishing, driving a car, installing high-voltage electrical systems and practicing medicine.

Wow, that was some major sarcasm there!

You do need a license and you can purchase an excellent study guide produced by the ARRL.

You can also study for the test online at www.qrz.com.

I hope this helped some.

nspectors

KI4BGY

Hmmm....yeah, I guess I could've been a little more helpful. :rolleyes:

I've found though that people who would like to get the license simply to get around a limitation in widely available consumer grade equipment don't usually bother. There has to be more of a driver there before they'll take the plunge. When cellular phones were still expensive I used to watch as some of my ham compatriots would demonstrate autopatches to non-hams who'd view it as a cheap way to get around paying for a cellphone. I'm not aware of any who bothered getting the license based on this benefit alone. I think I'd recommend arrl.org (or rac.ca in Canada) over qrz.com as a starting point though.

73 de callsign withheld :grin:

I'm sure the question pools for the exams are online somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

Arv

(UK Radio Amateur)

A license is absolutley necessary! Hams are pretty good about self-policing our frequencies. Especially here in the D/FW, Texas area. And yes, when the Feds catch up with an unlicensed operator, it has been be both a jail sentence and $$$. Go read: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2000/02/10/5/

Don't believe it when somebody tells you that a license is optional.

I have on my web site several resources to assist you in getting your ticket. I tutored a 5 year old boy in passing his tests, both the written and code. Go to:

http://kd5om.com/Get-a-Ham-Radio-License.htm

73s de kd5om, Jerry

Just go to eham.net and run through their questions for 30mins if you just want a tech. license. I did that and missed 1 on the test.

The license is legally required (of course), easy to get, and very useful for geocaching, hiking, boating and other outdoor activities. It gives you the ability to communicate, on a relatively private channel (versus say FRS), and at an appropriate level of power. It provides access to repeater service. And, talking doesn't cost money or burn up "minutes."

The self-discipline that amateur operators impose upon themselves (not simply to comply with the law) makes the bands a joy to use. It's a resource that we share, and a resource that we protect.

When skiing, for example, the FRS/GMRS bands are stuffed. But you can pick a simplex frequency on 2M or 440 and ... there's no one there all day but you and your significant other(s). You're in continuous, immediate, reliable contact with one another all day, and not being forced to listen to other people's chatter.

Personally, If you only want to use 2m, then I'd wait for the new FCC Changes to happen. It makes the test for Novice easy as pie. If you don't want to wait, Then I'd let you know that it's not a hard test.

I talk to minors on my rig all the time up here in New England. (I Could Just talk to my self lol). So if we can do it, you can.

Hope this helps

Kilo Bravo 1 Blankedy Blank Blank

Personally, If you only want to use 2m, then I'd wait for the new FCC Changes to happen. It makes the test for Novice easy as pie. If you don't want to wait, Then I'd let you know that it's not a hard test.

I talk to minors on my rig all the time up here in New England. (I Could Just talk to my self lol). So if we can do it, you can.

Hope this helps

When are these changes going to happen? I just started to study for my test.

Personally, If you only want to use 2m, then I'd wait for the new FCC Changes to happen.  It makes the test for Novice easy as pie.  If you don't want to wait, Then I'd let you know that it's not a hard test.

I talk to minors on my rig all the time up here in New England.  (I Could Just talk to my self lol).  So if we can do it, you can.

Hope this helps

When are these changes going to happen? I just started to study for my test.

Keep studying for the test. You will be grandfathered in if you already have your license and they change the test.

The big change is coming to the the General and Amateur Extra classes. Its anticipated that the FCC will drop the CW requirement for General class license and retain it for the AE (or the next iteration of the AE, what ever its called.)

I am going to wait on the written General until the FCC decision is made (whenever that is).

I'm not aware of any who bothered getting the license based on this benefit alone.

Actually, you no long can say that. I got my ticket because I wanted to be able to make calls between two cities (Livermore and Manteca). They're only 30 miles apart but were separated by two Cellular Kingdoms. Calling from one to another required expensive long distance charges and if you were on the wrong side of the line... roaming charges to boot. Auto-Patch provided free local calls into both cities.

I now enjoy working emergencies via RACES and/or ARES. I've supported bike races, various large events. I even 'worked' sitting with the 'Air Boss' during the Stockton Air Show (you can't buy seats better than that).

Q. Should a person get a license to talk on 2 meter (or any other Ham frequency)?

A. Ah, ya! That's the law. Besides, one of the many things you can do with radio's is track signals (Fox Hunting). That's Geocaching with direction finding antenna's and the cache is the transmitter (Fox). The Fox could be placed somewhere for an event or it could be some jerk without a license (Pirate) driving around. Either way, it's going to be tracked down! Talk about your FTF Prize... how about nailing the dude that's going to loose all his pirate gear, pay a large fine, pay a lawyer and then spend some time in the pokie. And you get the best seat in the house! You can't buy seats better than that. :(

Edited by Green Achers

BigRedMed,

Just something to think about: My son, who is a Tech, said the same thing you did, as far as waiting until the FCC changes the licensing rules, during a conversation one day. I told him I could understand that logic, but, two things came to mind...first, what if they don't change the rules the way you think they will, and cw is still required for General, or the written test is made considerably harder. If they do that and you don't find out for another year and a half, you have missed out on that much HF fun in the meantime. Which leads into the second thing I told him, which was why miss out on the fun you can have now, waiting for the rules to change...do it now, and have the fun now..who knows what is going to happen and you may not be in a position to even get on the air by then. The code is not that hard at 5 wpm, and you also may just find that you enjoy it...you don't know until you get on the air.

Not trying to preach or start a code/no code discussion....just presenting a hopefully different point of view. (personally, I rarely use cw... I have gotten into PSK 31 and really enjoy that particular digital mode).

Oh, my son's initial reaction was to give me the usual "yeah, dad, okay, sure, thanks" response.....then about a month later he told me he passed his cw test and his general written and was really glad he did it....and by the way, could he borrow some of my spare HF gear. Kids!!!! :rolleyes:

Hank

Ok, Hank.

To settle this in my own mind, I went onto the FCC's amateur site. There is NO mention of any attempt to change the license exam process.

I then called the FCC and got their Gaithersburg office (the operator at the 1888 number sent me there) and the woman I talked with did not know of any attempt by the FCC to change the license exam process.

This is as of 4/22/05 at 1530 CDT.

Looks like I had better start messing with the dits and the dahs again.

In general the FCC does not change the exams. The exam pools are decided upon by the group of VECs that get together. They typically change one pool each year and cycle through them. Right now with 3 levels that would mean that a pool is active for three years before it is changed.

And yes, there are several requests in front of the FCC to change the rules. They might (read that as a 'might') issue a Notice of Proposed Rule Making later this year. On the other hand, they may simply float an idea and ask for comments.

The requests are public record and you can locate them on the FCC web site.

As for the CW requirement, it might go away for some or all, or it might stay. Depends a lot on the comments the community files with the FCC. But, now that the international organization has done away with that requirement as part of the treaty, the FCC can't use that angle as a barrier.

--KG7JE, Extra Class Volunteer Examiner.

Big Red Med,

If there is any way I can help you, please let me know. I asked my son how he learned it so quickly....he said he used NuMorse and practiced on that until he had it down pat...then tried to copy some live stuff on the novice bands... when he was able to do that without being completely lost, he gave the test a shot. He only got five of the questions right, but he did get the "solid copy" requirement, so he passed.

I learned code the hard way...in the Navy....and then didn't use it for a long time (typical military B). But when I wanted to pass my code test, I found that it didn't take that long to get back up to speed on it. Right now, I could probably barely copy 7-10 words a minute, because I just don't use it, but it is sort of like riding a bike, once you learn it, it doesn't take long to bring it back.

Good luck with it, and hope to see you on HF soon.

Hank/N3ORX

KG7JE,

Yup, the way I see it, is that the FCC will issue an NPRM sometime late this year or early next...then there is the comment period for that, then the comments are published and there is a rebuttal period....then the Rule is finally enacted. I would think that this would take place sometime in 2007, judging by the way the FCC tends to do things and taking into consideration all the comment periods, etc. I do think there will be some changes, probably drop CW for General and create a new "entry level" license with a real easy test....which is fine with me, as long as it emphasizes proper operation....we can always teach the technical stuff later, but if there is going to be any downfall of HAM radio, it will be because of incompetent and improper on air operating skills.

Anyway, just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth on that. I am a VE also, and we try to match up new licensees with an "elmer" from our group, as soon as they pass the test....that way they get a proper start and have someone to teach them the good operating practices right from the start. It has worked pretty well for us, and has the added benefit of getting them immediately involved in the HAM community and not feeling like "ok, I got the license, now what?

Hank/N3ORX

Getting ready to take my Tech license exam this Sunday. Just a reminder - if you go to a hamfest - the exam is free!

My husband and son are already hooked so Momma's coming along for the ride so I can use the equipment.

The nine-year-old Marauder will, I'm sure, be next.

First of all to add to the list of comments.

I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (Ham) since 1998. I am still one of the young ones.

You do not need to study Mose Code (CW) unless you want to have HF priveleges. The Technician Class License (what I have) is based on a 35 question exam over basic operating responsibilities, band edges, Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE), Laws, rules, regulations, and some basic Electronic Theory. Most people will not pack an HF radio in for a Geo Caching event. Some will they are making them smaller these days, but you can use a simple handheld transceiver for 2 Meters or even a multiband such as my IC-W32A a 2M/70Cm radio.

Second. You ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE A LICENSE to operate on any of the Amateur Radio Bands. This is NOT A CHOICE.

Third. If you were to get caught operating without a license, if you were lucky enough to get caught by a ham. You would first be encouraged to get your license. Then you would also be welcomed into the community. But, if you were caught by the FCC (FCC commonly works with hams and local law enforcement) then it will be much harsher.

Fourth, why not? It does not cost much money and that is just to pay for the test materials, and processing of the license.

Fifth, There are many weekend classes that will give you a crash course to pass the test. Typically lasting from Friday afternoon, all day saturday, Sunday afternoon with a test in the evening.

Sixth, We would love to have you.

For more information visit:

American Radio Relay League (ARRL)

And one more thing unlike others on this forum I gladly and proudly display my callsing.

73's de KD7CAO - Eric

Pretty easy multiple-choice questions nowadays. Olf**ts like me, however took an essay-style test for our General-class licence.

My Extra-Class test came 50 years later and was much easier.

My Commercial Radiotelephone and Commercial Ratiotelegraph licenses were a bit tougher. The -graph license required 25wpm CW (flat key -- no bugs allowed), but that was pretty easy in 1950 too, because I was fresh out of the Air Force with a job that required 50wpm CW. Now? I'd probably have difficulty passing 5wpm, but it's a skill you never forget; the speed is the problem.

My Panamanian Marine Radio Officer license only required showing the U.S. Radiotelegraph ticket and paying the fee. It's useless now; I don't believe any ship requires a radio officer any longer.

My licenses have all expired due to loss of interest.

Extra Class AB5HY

Old General K5GWX and K4GMI

Edited by ValleyRat & TillyMouse

As everyone stated... you need a license for any HAM band to transmit... but! you can listen without one!

Not to get too far off topic, we got into geocaching because KG8YT encouraged us to try geocaching as it is very much like FOX HUNTING ( Radio directional finding sport) When it is our turn to hide the FOX my XYL, who is not a HAM, hides the FOX like a geocache! Gives me a chance to hunt the FOX! :angry:

We have ben trying to come up with ideas to combine the two sports where everyone can hunt... you do not need a license to hunt a FOX!

poikää es butterfly