Bad Reaction

Lbrrygrl

I am pretty new to geocaching; I've only found 2 caches so far, and I really only look at ones that are in parks or other easy to reach places because I do it with my two year old who just loves finding "treasure chests". The next one I intend to go for is the Bethel Mill cache. I grew up playing in that park, exploring its pathways and dreaming about what kind of wonderful things must be hidden just behind the next tree or hill. I asked my sister if I could take her son with me when I go. He is six and I thought it would be something that he would have a lot of fun doing, especially because he loves hearing stories about when my sisters and I were kids. Well, she said no, he couldn't go because my dad told her about this geocaching thing and said it sounds like a perfect way for terrorists to plant bombs and blow up unsuspecting hunters. :laughing: I was speechless. I still haven't been able to convince her that terrorists are not hiding bombs in caches hidden in the woods. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced such a negative reaction and how you dealt with it...

Sometimes trying to conveince people through logic simply hardens their resolve.

I would simply go caching to show that after 50 or so you haven't died. (no I don't think trying to show that you're ok after a couple more will do it).

Then say that you have checked out the cache you want to take the kid to and you know it's not a bomb.

:D I have to agree with what she has said. Though a terrorist won't focus on 1 person at a time. But what I wanted to mention in this forum, is the other day my family went caching out in the middle of absoluetly no where. It was to a waterfall that other people have found. But remember it is in no where land. I find the cach. In a place where no one would've thought to look. So I open the 50mm ammo can and look at the previous logs. Just before me was a log that a man found this cache, knows nothing of geocaching. And wrote in the log that he thought it was a bomb. Hmmm. Gotcha wondering how well we hide some of these caches even out in the middle of nowhere.
Just before me was a log that a man found this cache, knows nothing of geocaching. And wrote in the log that he thought it was a bomb.

So was he brave or foolish for opening it? :D

I just can't put geocaches high on my list of terrorist target locations.

There are many, many, many, did I say many? more locations that are a concern. Like filling my car with gas, going to McDonalds, getting the mail*.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well, I see you're too far from me for me to come show that someone with 321 finds in since my first in late 2001 hasn't been blown up yet. But you're really between a rock and a hard head, um excuse me, place. :D There's so much wrong with your dad's reasoning that I don't know where to begin. Why would a terrorist hide a bomb out in the woods that *maybe* one hunter *might* stumble across? Terrorists want the press coverage, the feeling of power, they want to spread terror (hence the name). Not gonna do it by snuffing one hunter nobody ever heard of in the woods behind Farmer McDougal's back 40. But let's even assume that a terrorist would do this. How many caches would the terrorist have to place to be sure a hunter got blown up by any of them? And what's going to trigger the bomb - that won't blow up a deer or other wildlife? See how easy it is to poke holes in the illogic?

Oh, and futurehillbillies, if the previous finder thought it was a bomb, why'd he open it? Nope - don't want to say any more 'bout that! :P

I still haven't been able to convince her that terrorists are not hiding bombs in caches hidden in the woods.  I'm curious if anyone else has experienced such a negative reaction and how you dealt with it...

She has been brainwashed by the media well. :P

:D <-- oh no!!! I terrorist icon!!!!

Edited by mrking

My EX husband was concerned when he found out that I was taking our two teenage daughters geocaching and that they'd even created their own screen name to post their finds. His reasoning was also terrorist activity. :P LOL

When I explained to him that WE were more likely to be checked for being terrorists (hmm, digital camera, gps, backpack, cell phone) all in hand he was all for the idea of us geocaching! :D

I agree with previous posts, find several caches and then let them know that they are safe and fun caches to take the kids back to. In our area we've found that there are lots of "kids" caches to choose from.

If all else fails, make some cute small caches for your yard and have the kids hunt around there. That can't be any more dangerous then looking for easter eggs.

Good luck!

--J

If CCCooperAgency hasn't found a bomb after 8266 finds, Geocaching since May 2001. Then I woul say the chances are it is not going to happen are good.

More likely you are going to have to deal withexplaining Geocaching to the police.

Why not offer to take her Geocaching with the kids so she can see how safe it is and how much they will enjoy it.

Edited by magellan315

C & J Priddy's post about placing 'caches' just for the kids is an excellent idea.

Kids don't care if it's listed on gc.com and the parents don't have to worry about all the geocaching riffraff who found it before.

It would be nice to expose them to other geocaching families. Maybe invite them to an family focused event.

Lol !! My mother-in-law said the same thing. She let the kid come when I said I'd open everything 1st. Guess getting rid of me was worth it :huh:

Honestly, people need to worry more about some idiot crack head gettting their kids at school, a drunk hitting the bus, or a lunatic capping ya while your pumping gas.

Wait a minute, poor kid will be locked away from daylight next - DON'T use my examples !

Unfortunately, some people HAVE been beaten by the terrorists already. Terror is in our minds. Some people aren't afraid and go about "daily life" even when war takes place around them. Sad, but its all in how we are able to deal with "life" .

Lets see. There have been over 200,000 caches placed since the beginning. Conservatively figure 10 finds per cache, that's 2 million finds without a single instance of a terrorist hiding a bomb in a cache. I'll take those odds. You're far more likely to die in a traffic accident on your way to the cache.

Also, what terrorist is going to go through all that trouble to maybe blow up one or two people? Are there nutcases out there who may one day booby trap a cache? Sure it can happen, but the chances are so small that it will happen to any one of us that its no even worth spending a minute worrying about.

As far as how do deal with the ignorant? That's tough. The ignorant are ignorant of their own ignorance. Maybe if you took them on a cache hunt it would help. Maybe if you quoted statistics, that will help, but some people live their lives in fear and they don't want to hear the facts.

Edited by briansnat

Check my post out from take it back.

"I work on Active Duty for the Vermont Army National Guard and sometimes search for caches while in uniform (I just cant help it). Going up to work at Camp Johnson in Colchester on Friday, I figured I would stop by and get a "find" for both the nearby BM and the cache. I drive by it every day, but just couldnt stop for one reason or another. Today was the day though. Not many cars, so I start the walk up the trails to get the BM first. While climbing up, someone was coming down the trail (at about 0800hrs).

By the way, I stumbled across the "mother-lode" of off-lable activities further up also.

I searched half-heartedly for the BM to no avail, and as I was coming back down, the gentlemen whom I saw earlier (looking just a little scared) was walking briskly back up the trail towards me. "I found something...something military. I dont know what it is, but I did not want to go near it." Dont forget I was in uniform with my GPSr and I knew at once that he found the cache and I would get credit for the easiet find ever recorded. "Show me," I said. He lead me right to it but would not go near it.

I couldnt play the game any longer so I explained to him what he found. His look went from frantic to complete embarrassment in about 2 seconds. He actually thought it was a Al-Queda bomb plot and I was in the woods looking to uncover the ammo can. Uh no, sounds good, but not the case. He thanked me for all the hard work we in uniform do, quickly, and I mean quickly left and drove away. I recovered the cache (might want to move it). TNLNSL."

I've gotten that goofy misconception a couple of times. Fears of boxes in the woods... the fact is, ya have to educate folks the nature and psychology of terrorism in order to have a clue.

Their intent is to cause terror in the most visible places possible. They want the media attention. They ESPECIALLY want to hurt lots of folks at once in a manner guaranteed to be broadcasted all over the world.

Splatting one or two geocachers out in some hidden nook somewhere does not exactly accomplish anything resembling that kinda deal for your average terrorist. Which is exactly why they would not waste their time on it.

Reciently on a news report they were interviewing some exspert on nuclear terorisum and alqada. He said the terorest have a specific death tole the want to reach some hugely insane number. He said it would take like 200 something would trade center attacts or 5 nuclear atacks on major citys to hit this number. I hardly think there gona waste the time on geocachers droping us 2 at a time man that would be alot of risk for very little reward. Sory for the vaugeness I was half asleep when watching the show.

Pyro

Yeah yeah yeah  ammo can in the woods, poking your eye out with a stick, catching pnuemonia, and breaking your neck. the new things for your mother to warn you about.

Has anybody ever seen an ammo can or tupperware with rabies?

My mother makes me put on clean underwear before I go caching.

By far, the most dangerous part of caching, is driving your car.

Crazy people can get you no mater what you do.

So stop caching, stop all activities outside of your home. If you do that, your home is your prison and the terrorists have won! Do you have any idea how likely it is to get hurt at home?!

Read the book "Sea Kayaker, Deep Trouble". It may seem very much off topic, but it could also be a good non-confrontational way to think about risk analysis.

It seems to me that people rarely worry about the everyday things that they know will hurt them, and obsess about the unknown.

I think the most dangerous thing about caching is climbing up a cliff. I did one in MO called Royal Pain , that took me up 60 feet on a vertical wall. One slip is all it would take. CLICK TO SEE ---->ROYAL PAIN

Then I own a cache that takes you up about 20 feet and into a small cave. SEE -----> A Rockey Hideaway And I would feel bad if anyone fell or got hurt or killed on my cache, and I think all other hiders of these types of dangerous caches share the same thought.

POINT IS - If you wanted to kill or hurt other cachers you would not have to booby trap it. It canbe done all with Location. That is why we have the Difficulty/Terrain rating system so we can have an idea of what to expect - A very good system by the way.

Edited by rockey_f_squirrell
Lets see. There have been over 200,000 caches placed since the beginning. Conservatively figure 10 finds per cache, that's 2 million finds without a single instance of a terrorist hiding a bomb in a cache.  I'll take those odds. You're far more likely to die in a traffic accident on your way to the cache. 

I'll take those odds too!!!