Graveyard Caches

Malarky

I personally love cemetaries, and loved touring them waaay before I ever discovered geocaching. My family is religious, and we have respect for the dead....that's why we want to REMEMBER people instead of ignoring their graves because it might make US feel uncomfortable. In fact, when thinking about geocaching in other areas, I seek out cemetary caches in hopes that I will find a REAL TREASURE...which would be the grave of somebody famous, or somebody interesting, or anything else.

I have oodles of pictures of the cemetary on Key West...I hope there's a cache there, so that when I go back I can log a cache. I also love Hollywood Cemetary in Richmond...we did 2 cemetary trips during a great caching experience in Charlotte and found some awesome graves with tons of historical value.

So my opinion is...people who are afraid of how cemetaries make them feel should avoid cemetaries. Those of us who face our mortality and pay our TRUE respects by reflecting on lives that we might not have known about without caching....we are obviously in this game for the right reasons..to learn and experience our environment, whether it's a great woodland area or a historical cemetary.

"This was almost a DNF. One last look and I found it. I was there for so long that I attracted the attention of a groundskeeper. I had my truck between me and him so when I went back to rehide the cache I also cleaned up the grave of Mary Stearns who was born in 1918 and died in 1922. Nobody has been to her grave in a LONG time. It was totally covered. I pulled the vines off, pulled the grass back, cleaned the dirt off, etc. The groundskeeper drives by real slow looks and then leaves, satisfied that I am there for Mary. At first I was thinking "I shouldn't do this" but then I thought, if this was my grave I would be glad that someone, anyone, was making it look nice. When I finished cleaning it up as best I could I said a prayer for young mary and wished her well. I might start picking an unkempt grave at every cemetary an cleaning it up. Thanks for the cache and the enlightenment."

Very Cool and a great idea. Kinda goes along the line of CITO.

Thanks for the idea. I think I'll start doing the same. Maybe this will catch on.

X :P

Your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it, but at least get your facts straight.  Geocaches ARE allowed in many State Parks.....

I'm SO thankful you are allowing me to have an opinion. There are also many State Parks where they DON'T allow Geocaching, and there are getting to be more of them all the time. In Nebraska they now say they don't even allow vitural caches. Don't know how they manage that. In my opinion (I'm having another opinion here, hope that's OK) caches SHOULD be allowed in both National and State Parks. I would also agree virtuals in Cemeterys would be OK to call attention to places of special interest, but I don't go along with playing hide and seek games in what should be sacred places.

I'm SO thankful you are allowing me to have an opinion. There are also many State Parks where they DON'T allow Geocaching, and there are getting to be more of them all the time. In Nebraska they now say they don't even allow vitural caches. Don't know how they manage that. In my opinion (I'm having another opinion here, hope that's OK) caches SHOULD be allowed in both National and State Parks. I would also agree virtuals in Cemeterys would be OK to call attention to places of special interest, but I don't go along with playing hide and seek games in what should be sacred places.

See this link for a clarification of Nebraska State parks policies.

I have done 4 cemetary caches and all were quite respectful. I don't have any problem with them as long as they are generally respectful and use common sense.

I would also agree virtuals in Cemeterys would be OK to call attention to places of special interest, but I don't go along with playing hide and seek games in what should be sacred places.

Cemeteries are only sacred to the living. The dead don't care. ALL of these folks are talking about respectful decent caches AWAY from the graves. I respect your opinion also but like someone in this thread said a lot of these places don't get visited except by us.

The Nebraska State Parks seem like they are meeting halfway on caching, good for them.

Edited by Clan X-Man

My cache - Lost Cemetery (So Sadly Misted) - is a multi in a cemetery with a single final physical location. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d8-ae0a764ed8c5 I've had nothing but positive responses. We have a large number in one cemetery here, a virtual at the gravesite of Marie Laveau (voodoo queen), and a couple in the Greenwood cemetery. Some are more intrusively near or on top of the grave sites than others, but I consider none disrespectful. I tend to be more concerned about what muggles think about us doing this, but just because I don't want us to be mis-branded as vandals.

I tend to be more concerned about what muggles think about us doing this, but just because I don't want us to be mis-branded as vandals.

I agree with your concern and would suggest avoiding caching at night in graveyards.

You can also easily turn a potential negative into a positive by encouraging others to upright fallen flags, replacing weathered flags, and disposing of trash and dead vegitation that may have accumulated. If the cemetery has no visitors then the site is by default doomed to neglect.

I have a Virtual cache is a very historical Cemetary. When you visit my cache you learn about the history of my home town...History Lesson My other cache is right outside the same Cemetary Isle of Marsh. They are quite enjoyable as is the Cemetary itself. The caretaker has been a friend of the family for years and he has met so many cachers that have visited. It is a great place to ride bikes and walk as many townies do on a daily basis. I think they are great if they are planned correctly. Another great cache in a Cemetary has some great history to learn and a neat multi.... it is done by good friends of mine B & BJ Calamity Cache

I think they are great , and all of these are snow friendly if you in the area!

Speedy38