Graveyard Caches

Malarky

I'm not sure this has been discussed or not; I rarely use these forums. However I was reading about the ignore lists and a user brought up a point how he loves the new tool. He went on to say what types of caches he "ignored," one of which was graveyard caches. I have done a virtual graveyard cache and I didn't feel to bad about it. However, a few months ago I found a micro cache hidden in a tree above a few graves. I felt terrible going into a graveyard to find a cache and not really thinking about what sacred ground it was. From then on I made a point not to ever find a graveyard cache again.

The whole idea of it just seems wrong to me. Am I wrong to think that? Not to mention on the one I found...the hint was terrible, almost mocking toward the deceased. There are restrictions to hiding caches, why can't a graveyard be one of them? Virtuals are not as bad because people usually learn something from them. But actual caches...?

-Malarky

Edited by Malarky
There are restrictions to hiding caches, why can't a graveyard be one of them? Virtuals are not as bad because people usually learn something from them. But actual caches...?

-Malarky

That's pretty harsh because of one bad experince, don't you think?

Who says you can't learn from an actual cache in a graveyard as well?

There are a LOT of threads on this topic.

Use the search feature in the top right corner and look up "cemetery" and "cemetary" - you'll get lots of reading material.

Don't let one bad cache spoil the entire type for you (i.e. graveyard caches).

I think the caretakers and loved ones would be the ones who may object. Dead people wouldn't. I think if the dead knew what you were doing they'd be cool with it. If living people are cool with Geocaching, then dead people would be too. I really think if the long dead would be fascinated with the GPS when they used sextants and magic rocks.

Edited by Elmer Fishpaw

I have no problem with it. Graveyard caches are great.

Disrespecting a burial ground--well, of course not. But de-stigmatizing death so it isn't that-which-must-not-be-named and making it a part of living and the things we enjoy in life, I'm all for it.

I do respect your concern, but I think it reflects your personal feelings about death and the deceased. The variety of personal and cultural views of death is tremendous, and I think a blanket rule for everyone (short of "thou shalt not vandalize or desecrate" of course) would be a mistake.

Thanks for raising the topic though. Interesting

I own caches in 2 graveyards, one being a federal cemetary. I get some logs where people shake their virtual finger at me with the "not doing any more graveyard caches" or "disrespect" yadda yadda yadda.

In my description the first few lines state that the cache is in a graveyard, so I think it's stupid to knowingly GO to the cache, then complain about it later. If you KNOW it's in a graveyard before you even get in the car & don't want to go, THEN DON'T GO.

As far as the disrespect thing goes, tell me WHY it's disrespectful. The caches aren't on a grave and the cachers aren't making a mess or anything. The veterans cemetary is deserted for the most part and the graves deserve some visitors.

I guess what it all comes down to is personal prefrence. I like cemetaries and I show respect while I'm there. I don't step on graves & go out of my way NOT to step on one, but more often than not I see people walking all over them.

What bothers me the most is people who feel the need to discourage other cachers from visiting my cache. If you didn't like it, that's fine. There's no reason to ruin it for others by making derogatory remarks & try to make others feel as if they're doing something wrong.

On another note...have you guys seen those green boxes people hide for caches...those are terrible!! they are the hardest to open, and those container that say "ziplock" on them, man Ijust don't know...your thoughts?

Sorry if I freakin' made people feel bad, geez. I wanted people's opinions, I got them, I am happy... HAVE A NICE FLIPPIN' DAY, GAH!!

One of the local graveyard caches that I've visited actually introduced me to a very nice graveyard/park. It looks horrible and ugly from the nearby highway, but once you're down inside of it, its quite beautiful. A nice place to go for walks and reflect on life amongst the dead.

Respect is entirely in the mind and actions of the person visiting. Will the forgotten dead really complain about something as innocent as a geocache, espescially if it brings people to read their headstones?

Now, on a less serious note: how about a multicache in which you have coordinates engraved on your own headstone? You don't have to be dead first, iirc if you reserve a cemetary plot you can actually have your headstone placed prior to being interned.

We do not do cemetary caches.  We have more respect than that for people's relligious beliefs, and respect for the dead.

Implying a lack of respect? I feel you're looking at it the wrong way, and in addition insulting the rest of us.

I have found quite a few cemetery caches. You want to see lack of respect? Most of those caches were placed in or near cemeteries which have been long since forgotten. That's lack of respect.

Geocaching on the other hand, has brought me and a few other interested people to these places where the family no longer cares enough to visit or maintain.

Here's a local cemetery cache:

5f744c31-b6b4-46ca-af76-54f80a2583de.jpg

Inside that wall is full of trash, the graves are fallen over and broken. To me it would be disrespectful to ignore the place.

Here's a night cemetery cache I did:

2f636959-a350-4fed-b2f3-85761bd94d92.jpg

As you can see, the graves are in disrepair. Obviously nobody is repecting the residents here. I, on the other hand, spent probably 30 minutes walking about reading the names and dates on the markers.

fc786414-2b8a-4bbc-9d88-911fe1dc9f2f.jpg

This is a fence surrounding a tiny cemetery in the woods. Based on my observations, I bet nobody but geocachers have visited this graveyard in many, many years.

And one more:

68e92b30-1c36-47b3-861d-f86927825d6d.jpg

This headstone is in a cemetery right behind a church, yet nobody in the church cares enough to fix it.

I found a cache near this cemetery:

b3872202-33bb-48fe-9a44-7e27eb994584.jpg

I wondered why Charles Tyree was never placed here, or why his date of death wasn't reported. He and I have the same birthday.

Going to a cemetery is not disrespectful. In fact, it is quite the opposite.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Several cemeteries near me have picnic tables scattered among the grave sites. I've used them many times to sit and eat my lunch during a day of caching.

It's also nice to sit and relax at one of those tables while I sign the log and trade stuff.

Edit to add a link to a great picture of people enjoying a cemetery.

Edited by Hemlock
I wondered why Charles Tyree was never placed here, or why his date of death wasn't reported. He and I have the same birthday.

You're 119 years old?!?! <_<

<_<

But seriously, I poked around quickly and couldn't come up with his date of death, but I did find a record of that grave:

http://userdb.rootsweb.com/cemeteries/cgi-...e&fname=Charles

Edited by Mr. Snazz

I have found quite a few cemetery caches. You want to see lack of respect? Most of those caches were placed in or near cemeteries which have been long since forgotten. That's lack of respect.

Very good point there... And in some places these could actually benefit from cachers practicing CITO...

If you really want to see a sad lack of respect try Bachelor's Grove... http://www.graveyards.com/bachelors/

I went there once a few years ago and aside from the understandable overgrowth and wear (since it is no longer being used or kept up) I also saw broken up and knocked over gravestones, shallow holes dug over graves, tons of beer cans/bottle strewn around, etc...

You know what's interesting about these threads?

Man can excavate the entire Great Serpent Mound in the name of history. Man can cut off King Tutankhamun's finger to display the jewelry he was buried in and put it in a museum in the name of history.

But get ten feet near dead Aunt Martha with a shovel and all hell breaks loose.

Put a film can within 40 feet of a headstone and we have a topic about how disrespectful and horrible we are as cachers to place caches there.

I have four cemetary caches.

The first one is in tribute to my great-grandmother because she was the most important person in my life and I wanted to share that with someone. She knew everybody and everybody knew her and I know she'd like the company.

The second one is a historical tour of the confederate circle here in nashville. The third one is a tour of the clergy of a catholic cemetary. The fourth one goes to two people I don't know because I think their headstones are cool because they're written partially in some asian language.

Notice a trend in those? All four were placed out of respect for the history/culture/etc of the people that are there.

If you guys have an old cemetary near you, place a cache there - respect the locations and don't let them become forgotten.

We have a nine year old daughter who used to be terrified of cemeteries but after going to a few caches , reading headstones, thinking about life she now knows that these are not terrible places with ghosts and goublins. She knows these were just normal people with normal lives . She is very respectful and does cito with us. I think it is a good learning experience.

Mike

When I first started caching I too thought there was something wrong with cemetary caches, but after finding a few and really looking around the cemetaries in my area I have changed my mind. I spent the first 50 years of my life in southern California and have moved to the south and am enjoying seeing historical places. Seeing graves of people involved in the very foundation of our country and reading what is on them is fascinating to me and often leads to internet searches to find out more about these people. I am in the process of putting out a cache in a cemetary, near the gravesite of a man who was very important in our area and has much history behind him. I am making this a learning type cache and hoping to inspire those who seek it to learn more about this man and his part in the history of this area. I intend to have seekers answer a few questions about this man as well.

I think in some places cemetary caches can not only show respect but teach.

This is a post from a log for a cemetary cache in my area, a cache which I have not found yet, but at a cemetary where my mother is buried. I think this shows quite a lot more respect than staying away... and I'm sure my mother, or any other person buried there, would agree.

"This was almost a DNF. One last look and I found it. I was there for so long that I attracted the attention of a groundskeeper. I had my truck between me and him so when I went back to rehide the cache I also cleaned up the grave of Mary Stearns who was born in 1918 and died in 1922. Nobody has been to her grave in a LONG time. It was totally covered. I pulled the vines off, pulled the grass back, cleaned the dirt off, etc. The groundskeeper drives by real slow looks and then leaves, satisfied that I am there for Mary. At first I was thinking "I shouldn't do this" but then I thought, if this was my grave I would be glad that someone, anyone, was making it look nice. When I finished cleaning it up as best I could I said a prayer for young mary and wished her well. I might start picking an unkempt grave at every cemetary an cleaning it up. Thanks for the cache and the enlightenment."

There is certainly a way for cemetery caches to become tasteless quickly. However, if you're careful about your hide, there shouldn't be anything I worry about. Some large cemeteries have big, wooded spaces that don't feel any different that a hike in a park. I have adopted one of those, you and can't see any headstone from the cache at all. Another cemetery cache that I own is at an town run burial ground that has not been used in 100 years. Not many people stop there anymore, so the geocache brings some attention. It's away from graves, and an ammo box, so there is room for trading.

We do not do cemetary caches.  We have more respect than that for people's religious beliefs, and respect for the dead.

Implying a lack of respect? I feel you're looking at it the wrong way, and in addition insulting the rest of us.

I suppose that you are entitled to interpret that which ever way you want, whether it was intended or not.

There is an expression on the AT: HYOH. Hike Your Own Hike. If you want to tromp through cemeteries, that is your prerogative. That is not the way I was brought up. Yes, for me it is a lack of respect. For you to say that I have insulted you is also a lack of respect. We each have our proclivities. Mine are mine. Yours are yours. Hike your own hike. Me, I have more respect for the dead than that.

I'm a geocacher, a genealogist, and I know a bit about local history. I enjoy sharing stories, both telling and hearing. My kids have tromped through cow pastures to have their pictures taken next to their Revolutionary War ancestor's headstone. They've even had the chance to climb aboard the actual Conestoga Wagon that another ancestor came to East Tennessee in...by way of Pennsylvania and Virginia. One of my first cache hides leads folks to the crumbling foundation stones of a church that was built more than 200 years ago...and is now the boundary of a family cemetery plot. Should we ignore it? That church has relocated a couple miles away and is now one of the largest Presbyterian congregations in America. I've already had church members tell me they never knew how their church got started...or they knew but had never visited the original site.

Cemeteries hold so much historical value...why do we try so hard to ignore them? I believe we can learn from them, while at the same time preserve them for future generations to learn from.

Yes, there is sadness..and grief...and even aversion to being in cemeteries. BUT...there is also much we can learn! Yes, there are tacky ways of putting caches in cemeteries, but there are appropriate methods as well. Spend a little time doing the research, tell people a story to go along with their cache experience, and look for non-offensive ways to hide the cache.

If you can't come up with a good way of hiding the cache, move on to another site. I'll bet...100 years from now...your great-great-granddaughter will find a good way of hiding a cache in YOUR cemetery! I just hope that MY great-great-grandson will be FTF!

Cemeteries hold so much historical value...why do we try so hard to ignore them? I believe we can learn from them, while at the same time preserve them for future generations to learn from.

Yes, there is sadness..and grief...and even aversion to being in cemeteries. BUT...there is also much we can learn! Yes, there are tacky ways of putting caches in cemeteries, but there are appropriate methods as well. Spend a little time doing the research, tell people a story to go along with their cache experience, and look for non-offensive ways to hide the cache.

You made my point exactly. I lived most of my life in Southern California where cemetaries are huge perfectly manicured parks for the most part and caching there would not be appropriate in all likelihood. I moved to southeast TN a few years ago and find the cemetaries here to be very different and loaded with American history. There are a lot of cemetary caches in our area and I was uncomfortable at first but after visiting a few I just don't see how it is disrespectful when it causes people to stop and look and read the headstones. These small cemetaries are just loaded with American history. I am in the process of placing one near the gravesite of the first Cherokee Indian Agent in this area and there is a geneological website that tells the family history. I am adding 5 questions to be answered that take visitors to that page to read about this man and his family and their importance to this area. Personally I think that shows a lot of respect and imagine his family would approve.

I personally don't have a problem with cemetery caches. I have one myself, Gone But Not Forgotten I found a lone grave site in the woods for a 19 year old. I researched Pat King (the deceased) on the Internet and the only thing I can find is on a genealogy site that lists this grave site as the Scotty Creek Cemetery. It mentions that Pat died at the age of 18 or 19 due to a freight accident. I was able to bring this lonely grave site to the attention of other who did not know it existed. I created a cache, a 6"x18" tube for cachers to leave behind something that reminded them of a loved one who is "Gone But Not Forgotten". Read the comments....not one bad comment...only good ones. As far as the "holy ground" issue. I am a minister and my beliefs are a cemetery is not "holy ground". We the living have made it that way for our own "good feeling". I enjoy reading the headstones and seeing the comments left in regards to the person. I really enjoyed going through cemeteries in England and seeing headstones with the dates in the 1700's.

68042_200.jpg

Pat King's personal cemetery located off the original Hwy 97 over Blewett Pass in Central Washington.

Metal plaque on the front of the fence reads...

Gone But Not Forgotten

Installed by

Gary Ronning

Robert Vargas

David Starr

Peter Christofferson

Seattle 6-7-59

68042_300.jpg

Pat King's head stone made of wood.

I can't let this go without adding my opinion. I am a PK which stands for Preachers Kid. My mom married our priest when I was 11. There were many times my parents took us kids to cemetary's to run around and play and read the head stones. It is not always a sad place. A lot of these people are in a better place now then they were before. Cemetary's are for the living not the dead. The dead are just that, dead. My parents believed the dead would have loved to have children running around enjoying the area. My father baried a lot of people in his time, before becomming a priest he ran his family's buisness which was a funeral buisness. I'm not saying yell and scream while someone is visiting a loved one have respect for the living people who visit the area. I am saying enjoy the area. If that means walking around reading headstones while watching your GPS so be it. I am from Southern California as well and thoes cematary's are not as fun as some of the old forgotten ones in the South. Here in South Carolina they are all over, some with just a few graves, some on resadentil streets, lots of them next to churches, a TON of history here. I will go find your caches in a cematary and I will bring my kids to run around while I do it :D Thumperness

Besides being a geocacher, I make my living as a writer, and travel fulltime in an RV. We love history and have visited many old cemeteries from coast to coast. In them I have discovered some wonderful stories I would have never known or been able to share with our readers.

A few examples are the graves of Belle Boyd, in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. Belle was a spy for the South during the Civil War and had several adventures that would have made the basis for a book. She was captured, escaped, captured again, married the officer assigned to guard her.... quite an interesting story.

In rural West Virgina, down a narrow mountain road, we found the grave of Zona Hester Shue, the Greenbriar Ghost. Internet research revealed that she was murdered by her husband, who almost got away with the crime. But her mother claimed that the murder victim's ghost came to her in a dream and revealed exactly how she was killed. The mother managed to get the authorities to exhume the body and do an examination that brought evidence to light that ended up in the conviction of the murderer. A nearby historical marker says that it was the only time in American legal history that a criminal was convicted due to evidence revealed by a ghost.

On Washington state's Olympic Penninsula we found the grave of John Tornow, the "Wild Man of the Wynoochee." A social outcast and hermit, Tornow was accused (very possibly falsely) of murdering his two teenage nephews and disappreared into the dense forest to hide. Several manhunts failed to find him, and in the meantime he was blamed for every missing lumberjack, poached deer, and burglarized cabin in the region. Parents used to warn unruly children that "John Tornow will get you if you don't behave!". Finally lawmen tracked the fugitive down and he was killed in a bloody shootout.

Yet another interesting Washington grave we came across was that of Willie Keil, a young man who dreamed of going west with a wagon train from his home back in Bethel, Missouri. But Willie became sick and died before his family set out on the Oregon Trail. So his father put his body in a vat of alcohol to preserve it and brought him along on the trip! It is said that while several other wagon trains were attacked by Indians in the same period, the wagon train Willie was a part of was avoided because the superstitious Indians were afraid of it.

Stories like this are an important part of our past and should be preserved. Visiting old cemeteries helps us do so, and geocaching will introduce us to many more along the way. We enjoy reading the headstones and learning about the people who rest there, and we come away feeling respectful and appreciative for the lives they led and the hardships they endured.

I wish it was easier to get virtuals approved to share stories like this. Since we are on the road fulltime, maintaining a regular or micro cache is impossible.

Love 'em!

We have LOTS of them in Alabama - one is a series of 20-something cemetaries in one county.

We love to do them at night; a local preacher and his youth minister recently brought a bus-load of his youth to an abandoned civil-war cemetary way out in the middle of nowhere at 10 p.m.

I had gotten wind of it and went in early, set up some howling noisemakers and ran a trip-wire to the cache so that when it was moved it set off 250 sky-rockets located in a nearby clearing.

Some of the moms had the same idea and showed up early to hide around the cemetary and jump out at the kids - we had a blast!

Most of our cemetary hides are outside the perimeter of the cemetary itself, but some are inside. My Rambler's Only Micro is just outside the fence of an old cemetary 2 blocks from my house and always gets good reviews.

So far none has garnered a single complaint...and we have at least five clergymen of different stripe in our group.

Ed

As a teen in upstate NY the local cemetary was our favorite playground.We played baseball and football on the large open field areas adjacent to the memorials and gravesites. What a great place it was for hide n' seek. The hilly open areas were great for winter sleigh riding and the pond was perfect for ice skating. I learned to drive stick shift on the hilly winding roads where there was little traffic other than the caretakers.It never occurred to us as kids that someone would object to us being there or think we were being disrespectful. All our parents knew where we played and knew where to find us. We had ancestors there and they kept an eye on us and we were comforted by that presence.No one was afraid of the place and had no problem staying as late as we were allowed to be out after dark on the weekends, etc. If I still lived in my hometown I would love to have a cache there.

If I were on a Cemetery board ( and I have been) I would vote to not allow Geocaches in the Cemetery. If they are not allowed in National and State Parks, they certainly shouldn't be allowed in Cemeterys.

MY opinion.

Your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it, but at least get your facts straight. Geocaches ARE allowed in many State Parks.....

In my opinion, a cemetary cache can be fine, others....well, I've one I didn't care for, and I'm sure it's not alone. It was a small container, painted with that granite "fleck" type paint, and stuck in a crack between the headstone and it's base.......poorly done in my opinion. Now, a cache away from actual graves or a stage of a multi that just uses information from markers in a cemetary to get you to the next stage would be fine...

I just went to my first graveyard cache (PINnacle Gardens ). The cache was next to an old cemetery deep in the woods. Most grave "markers" were simply large rocks, with no writing. There were a few with hand-scratched names. After finding the cache, I spent a long time walking around the graves, thinking about the people buried there and their lives. If it hadn't been for the cache, I never would have visited this area.

Like many things in life, the appropriateness has a lot to do with the attitude we bring with us.

I think that graveyard caches are wrong.

Why ?

Headstones are placed in graveyards as memorials. So that the person that has passed from this world will not be forgotten . If no one ever visits the grave yard it defeats the purpose don't you think ?

When I visit graveyard caches , I often find myself reading the stones and reflecting on the type of life that people may have had . Especially the old historic stones of the veterans of many various wars. For me it gives me a chance to show my respects even though I may not have known these people.

I don't think the dead mind having visitors from time to time. I personally think they probably quite enjoy it . But then again that is just my take on this subject.

Star

Here is what I am getting from this:

A majority of you fine people discuss caches in graveyards with some significance. You discuss historical values that should be known to be added to your caches....I like it.

Some of you do not like the idea of caches in cemetaries in general. You think they are just wrong or they need to be compared to the illegality of caches in national and certain state parks. This holds some truth.

Examples of cemetaries on the west coast have shown that they are too well-kept and (new maybe?) to be proper for cache hiding while the "south" cemetaries tend to be older and of more historical value.

As and example, the Arlington Cemetary has a great deal of history in it. I wonder if a cache could be approved in it?

In conclusion, there are many types of cemetaries out there. Some you drive by every day and some like Pat King, in the middle of the woods, that hardly ever get visited. I have asked many other people besides cachers about this and they generally are OK with it. Just plan it out, have them learn a thing or two...gain knowledge from the beauty of the lost. Have a nice day.

-Malarky