The Longest You've Gone With No Geocaching

Back in about July 2001, my vehicle was stolen and my GPS was on the front seat. I didn't get a replacement until January 02, although I attempted one cache in December. So that's about five months without geocaching.

This past summer I took a two month trip to China. I had every cache in China loaded into my GPS, and we came within about 2km of one, but I never had a chance to look for any. When I got home, I had another several weeks before I had regular computer access, so no caches for almost three months there.

And I think there have been various one-month hiatuses (I checked, hiatuses is correct) from geocaching for various reasons, including disinterest.

Jamie

By far my longest stretch without finding a cache is 2 months and 11 days. It was between my 2nd and 3rd cache finds, and i didnt have a GPS at the time. Also i was away at college where the caching situation isnt very good.

Right now i havent found one since January 20th. I'm back at college again, and i have no real mode of transportation. I had a DNF for a cache in Montreal that i looked for this past weekend. Probably wont find one until mid march when i get back home, but i'm looking forward to really caching in then!

Wow, this topic is ironically timely for me!

Today, I was lured back into caching after a 6 month drought since my last find.

Did some cache maintenance twice in September, and had a DNF/Is it gone in early Nov - so, really 3 months but . . . . .

A recent new hide was .3 miles from where I grew up, near my moms house (Still only 1.3 from home!) This new hide was also a perfect fit for a TB I had shamefully been sitting on since my drought began. Saw the listing, and decided it was time to make time to get out and cache.

The cache today was in one of my favorite parks, and in an area of the woods I knew like the back of my hand from riding the bike trails for many years - so I Had to go get it, and drop the bug.

Another new hide by the same cacher is only .6 miles from home, so I been planning on hitting that one too, so I guess Im officially back on the wagon. . . (Or did I just fall off it?)

Well, I started back when it all began. I ended after finding my first cache on geocaching.com. Don't remember why, but it might have been because the only cache I could find was over an hour drive. I was talking about it for some reason a little while ago, with my girlfriend. She said that it sounded cool. So we went and did a 1/1 cache that was 2 miles for her place that night. So I guess 4 years since I was geocaching. We went out for a 4 cache hike weekend before last and will be continuing it for a while. I think I'm going to let her use my old eMap and get a GPSMAP 60C. :D

Edited by sacherjj

The only type of caching I have made time for lately is events and posting locationless caches on terracaching.com. (Where I have the highest measure of cache excellence in the world. Back, meet pat.)

Working the midnight shift SUCKS. I don't seem to have time for ANYTHING anymore.

I have some vacation time coming up for the Texas Challenge and I'll do a few DFW caches while I'm there.

I'm planning on caching AT LEAST 7 states on the way to and from GeoWoodstock III, including going wayyyyyy outta my way to do Tube Torcher if there's time.

I plan on visiting the original stash and TerraCotta (the original terracache) on my summer vacation and hope to pick up an earthcache or two and hopefully and active APE cache while adding at least 6 more states and MAYBE Canada to my find list.

My caching activity seems to have completely migrated to vacation time and almost NOTHING in between besides events. Events are the BEST part of geocaching anyway. I never miss one of those if I can help it.

Just started back last month after a 19 month hiatus. Work and family committments gave me little time on the weekends. Just got back in, had a 6-cache day last Saturday, and am planning to start attending my state geocaching assn. mtg.

Started way back in May 2001. Needless to say, things have changed a lot in just four years! There are SOOOOO many caches available now. When I started, you used to have to drive 50 miles to get from one cache to the next.

Last summer, my car got a little boo boo that left me with a fractured vertebrae and a damaged disc. Due to the pain and a bad attitude, I didn't go caching for about five months or so.

I've worked on my attitude and am getting back into the game. I'm much more thankful for the easier caches now that I am not as mobile as before.

Looking at my finds, it is not uncommon for me to take off time from the game in the summer. Summers in the south are just two hot and humid for this New Yorker.

edited because I forgot to mention that its also way too buggy in the summer.

Edited by sbell111
We logged our first cache since April 2003. We moved from Idaho to New Mexico and then I started graduate school at NMSU.

when I left El Paso this past November the caches were a tad few and far between.....although there are some good ones in that area. hopefully it'll pick up for you soon. BTW....I moved from El Paso to Boise Idaho.

I went 3 weeks without caching, because I was away at camp. They are very strict, no going off the sidewalk without supervision...it's really unfortunate. Anyway, I did a 5 or 6 cache day in the city of the camp the day before I checked in. That took me to 98 caches found. Then I had to wait for those 3 weeks until 100...agony! :(

9 months. I logged 5 caches in 2004 total: three were at the end of December, and the previous two were Feb. 11 and March 8th. At the end of March, I started training for a fundraising marathon, which I completed on October 3rd, with a sprained foot and tendonitis, and it took another 2 months to recover from the injuries.

But it's nice to see that I've really picked up since then. 12 caches in February alone, plus my first hide!

I just scrolled all the way back to the beginning of my 2-1/2 years of cacheing to answer this one. It seems that even in the beginning it was never more than 2 weeks between adventures.

The main behavioral change came at the beginning of last year, when instead of just going out for an hour or two for a few caches, I began enjoying all day (and night) hunts with friends. It still is never more than two weeks between outings, but now I mix up the occasional afternoon, or on the way home hunt, with an expedition. :ph34r:

Its been about 3 weeks. But for those that have a baby, Geocaching is still possible. My little girl goes with us all the time. She just turned 11 mo. We started geocaching when she was just 8 months but have been taking her hiking since she was 2 weeks old. Get one of those child packs that you can wear on your back our little one usual falls asleep during the walk. She loves it. You can get them at places like target or walmart. Or you can get fancy and buy one of those Kelty Kid Packs. Take them and teach them the outdoors early.

2000 and before my family did a few caches a month, then some time in 2000 we just stopped... i started highschool. Now i am a senior about to graduate and a bunch of my friends just found out what geo caching was. Since i had expierence i took them all out on a coulple caches and now were planning on doing them alot and creating a bunch! so i went like 4 years :P and the name symbolizes the fact that were all kinda retarded inside

When I started geocaching on June 27, 2001, there was a whopping ten caches within 50 miles from my home. Within 5 days I found 8 of them. The other two were like a mile hike (!) which I felt at the time was beyond my abilities.

So I was done. Game over. ;)

I kept an eye on the website for a week or two, but no new caches appeared, and I didn't want to hide one. After that I pretty much forgot about geocaching.

Finally eleven months later, something reminded me about the sport and I looked at the website and there were hundreds of caches within just a few miles. I haven't stopped since ;)

Started November 2001 and only show one calendar month since then on my Excel spreadsheet where no caches were found. During that time there have been only 30 caches placed by others in our home area.

Only three times have we made single day cache trips. All other trips have involved at least one overnight and that is why our motto is "Need Cache – Will Travel".