Right/wrong Cache Placement

rockey_f_squirrell

After pulling strings to place a cache in a Nature Preserve in IL, Emails, Phone calls, personal visits, I get a story that surprised me. This upsets me worst then Muggle thiefs.

For Cache hiders in IL, you may have noticed some difficulty in getting permission for a cache placement. I tried to get permission to place a cache in a very scenic ravine in southern IL, but also happenst to be a Nature Preserve.

At first the site supervisor was interested, but as soon as I mentioned Nature Preserve her face dropped. She said that something like that would have to be submitted to springfield, and lots of waiting.

She told me that someone placed one near a lake (the lake area would not have been a problem) but they placed it in a waterfowl rest area. The IDNR staff see these people going into the waterfowl rest area daily, and wonder whats up so they investigate and find the cache.

Since then it has been very difficult to get approval in IL. Any other examples like this, or anyone experience trouble getting permission like a state park???

Are there other states that are very strict, or some states that are very easy??

Visit the Site Supervisor. That is what I did, here in Randolph County Conservation. Most cases they can handle it locally. I got approval real quick in the area, she worked in, but because the other was a Nature Preserve, that is an exception.

So if you are within question, visit the site supervisor, but please do not repeat wht the other person did at Baldwin lake. The reason I want this ravine cache so bad is it is extremely rare scenery for IL, a deep ravine that would make you think you are in Missouri, plus there are indian petroglyphs there.

that is also the reason why they are picky about that one. If approved and I will mention this I will make it a MEMBER ONLY Cache, and that might help too to mention about MEMBER ONLY Options about keeping an area extra protected.

I am doing all this to help the Geocaching community for the Future. but dumb mistakes can hurt us greatly

I've been in contact with the IDNR people since I started working as the Illinois reviewer in May of 2003. IDNR state parks usually have no problem, once they're educated on the benefits of Geocaching. I was even able to get one of their central contacts that deals with education to send out a special notice last summer to all site supervisors.

The IDNR requirements for placing Geocaches are on their site - so the site supervisors should know about Geocaching (but some obviously don't). When meeting with the site supervisor to plan a cache, be sure to take a print out of their own guidelines and a printed topographical map of the area.

Every time I've had someone work with the IDNR supervisors for the state parks, they've been very helpful and encouraging of Geocaches. The only time they aren't so hot on it is when the proposed location is a danger to potential hikers or may endanger a rare species.

About twice-per-month, I see a cache listed in a state park without permission. I know this because the IDNR has specific guidelines about what MUST be on the cache page if it's approved. If I don't see the wording, it's not been done with permission.

Since I've been a reviewer, I've only had ONE (that's right, ONE!) instance where the site supervisor initially said flat out "NO GEOCACHES" and closed the door in the face of the cacher (figuratively). Every other site supervisor has been encouraging of the sport, and I believe our state parks need more really good caches out there. BTW - that one "NO" is what prompted the educational announcement. :D

Illinois Nature Preserves are a different story. While they are administered by the IDNR, they are a VERY different charge than state parks. Their first duty is to protect and preserve that portion of land designated as a preserve. The problem is that these sites can be in state parks, county forest preserves, private property or anywhere - and since some are on private property, they don't publish a comprehensive list of these special locations. Always check out if it your potential hiding area is specifically listed as an Illinois Nature Preserve.

The best procedure is to work with the local IDNR site supervisor. If they seem unwilling to even listen, e-mail me at IllinoisGeocacher@yahoo.com and I'll see if I can work some educational magic from the central office for ecology - but above all, whether or not to allow a Geocache at a specific location is up to the local supervisor. If s/he says no, accept it, but also counter with the question, "Is there another spot that might be better that you could suggest?" These people know their parks pretty well, and might have some hidden out of the way wonder that most people never get to see.