Which Gps Phone?

Hi fellow cachers,

I am thinking of selling my Legend and combining my GPS with my phone. I'm after a PDA phone with bluetooth (for the GPS bit!), that has decent software for road-mapping (with sounds "TURN LEFT", "TURN RIGHT" etc), and that can still put me in the right spot for my caches!

Am I asking too much, or does someone have that very solution?

Not too worried about price (within reason) as it's an all-in-one solution so I appreciate that it might cost a bit more... But hopefully a saving with a decent phone contract!

Thanks

Richard

I use an xda2 for my phone and geocaching and bought new on ebay for £279 but had to unlock it and found the unlock code on the net.

Put tom tom on it and mem map and works well with the garmin etrex vista.

You can buy the connecting cables from mem map also but will cost about £40 but may get on ebay cheaper.

But you still have to use seperate gps,not sure about pda/gps/phone,not seen any of these yet,but there was an article i saw a while ago that there was someone in the uae developing one.

Edited by davy boy

Yes still connected to the etrex via cable but the xda is bluetooth just have not got around to it yet and it uses more battery power.

When i bought it,it was supposed to be unlocked so found the unlock program on a xda phone forum and hey presto it worked!As for the contract i use orange and have also 3mb of download on my contract per month which i use in the field sometimes if i need to check a cache.

There is also an xda2s out now with extra features from o2.

I have not yet tried a PDA with GPS built in but did use a Jornada 928 with phone built in. I found it too inconvenient to use as a phone and reverted to separate phone and PDA (Ipaq 2210) both with bluetooth. Now I use the bluetooth with a Fortuna Clip-on GPSr which has two separate receivers, one high sensitivity and one low battery consumption. I find the latter is more responsive than my Garmin 60cs.

I can with this run Memory Map, TomTom or GPSDash which has recently been upgraded and which I look forward to using in the field as it is beginning to look rather good.

Sounds like this is what I'll be getting then. I've seen some e-bay XDA IIs 's for about £250, which is tempting, because I have Pay-as-you-go, and I really don't want to change my number again!

Ho-hum. All this gadget talk, and I still have to convince the wife!

Going back to what I said before about the iMate Jam. This is actually branded the MDA compact in the UK and is a small version of the XDAII. It's about the same size as a Sony Ericsson T610.

You can actually get it free on contract from http://www.ukphoneshop.com/860_T-Mobile_Pa...%20Compact.html

The cheapest would work out at £240. Bargain. Get it unlocked (unless you use T-Mobile PAYG) and chuck your PAYG sim card in instead. You could still use the free minutes of course.

What I said on an early post that sounded as a wish list, Is real. A pda with Tomtom Nav, Phone, camera, Slots for cards. Bluetooth or cable attached GPS. Its a XA 02 ? well thats what my pal said that has one. ( I have seen it) I shall now go and search to find out more.

This could be a 'must have'

Got it the wrong way round. It is a 02 XDA2

Edited by McDehack