What Would You Like To See...

SilverLynx

After testing a number of Geocaching/Waypoint management apps, I've decided to code my own contribution (actually, I have been working on it for a little while now). My original intention was to create a cross between GSAK and USA Photomaps, but since I going to release this as freeware or open source, I wanted to know what others would like to see. More like Gsak?, more like USA photomaps? What kind kind of features are you looking for? Please be aware that this is still in development stage and I'm trying to keep it simple for when I release for beta (gonna be a while), and afterwards more features will be added, when its stable.

Thanks,

Team Silver Lynx

id like to see it simple to use

all id like is a software like easygps

but where you can down load the loc files edit them in your program

and upload them to the gps.

then when I change the symbol to cache found id like to download that into

your program and then click on the waypoint and go to the cache website

and log my find without having to find the cache page on gc.com it will go there from within the program

also what would be cool is if I double click on a cache I want to go to.

I can copy and paste notes or hits and clues to the cache and then

print out that info for the cache so I can take it with me instead of printing all the colors and stuff from the gc.com cache page make a simple template for printing black and white and name it at the top the name of the waypoint

so it's organized

maybe you can call it geocache manager v1.0 or gc manager

hope this helps thanks ill be your beta tester

Edited by igsonline
If you're going for something like USA photomaps, I'd like to see a "calibrated park map" option like ExpertGPS has. It's totally cool and very useful.

Also, what operating systems are you targeting? A Mac waypoint management app would be very cool.

--Marky

It's going to be writtien in MS Visual Basic under the .NET framework, using MSTerraserver's webservice API, so I'm not sure it can be ported over to something like CodeWarrior for the Mac, I could be wrong though, so if anyone wants to try porting it over to Mac, they can have a shot at it.

Please describe what the "calibrated park map" does, because I have no clue.

Thanx,

Lynx

It's going to be writtien in MS Visual Basic under the .NET framework, using MSTerraserver's webservice API, so I'm not sure it can be ported over to something like CodeWarrior for the Mac, I could be wrong though, so if anyone wants to try porting it over to Mac, they can have a shot at it.

Probably no chance at all. Too bad. It would take quite a bit of functionality to tear me away from GSAK's power if this is going to be a windows only solution. Maybe I should just work with Clyde to add mapping. B)

This is where you scan in a park map as a .jpg file, and then 'calibrate' it by clicking on the map and giving the coordinates of where you clicked. With three or four points calibrated, it is easy to be able to display cache icons on top of it. This helps when trying to determine trail selection to a cache in a park you are unfamiliar with.

--Marky

This is where you scan in a park map as a .jpg file, and then 'calibrate' it by clicking on the map and giving the coordinates of where you clicked. With three or four points calibrated, it is easy to be able to display cache icons on top of it. This helps when trying to determine trail selection to a cache in a park you are unfamiliar with.

--Marky

Doesn't sound too hard, just figuring out the distance each pixel equals and then plotting out specific points. I can do that! (famous last words....) I'll try and implement it when the times comes.

Thanks for your input,

Lynx

If you build this in C#, make sure to create proper objects in .cs files. There is almost no difference between Java and C# for basic objects. Cache object, that is inherited for all the types of caches, etc. If this is seperate from the Windows Forms code, then it could easily be ported to Mac with a new Java front end for display.

Also, I would suggest using some of the other programs, just to get an idea of what they do. This is generally my first step when trying to work out requirements for a program or project: Looks at what other solutions incorporate.

Edited by sacherjj
I've never used EasyGPS, so I'm not sure how it looks/works.

You definitely need to take a look at it as it's still very popular, even with all the competition from newer 'offerings' like GSAK.

Also, since you said you'd be perhaps writing something that's a cross between GSAK and USA PhotoMaps, you should also take a look at ExpertGPS. EasyGPS is the free version of ExpertGPS. ExpertGPS has the same wapoint management as EasyGPS but also ads terra server mapping and the ability to view waypoints on the maps. Although you have to pay for it, they have a fully functional 30 day version, so give it a look.

Edited by Jeeters

If you have your own map, perhaps scanned in on a scanner, or downloaded as a PDF, or whatever. And that map has on it at least three points with known coordinates, then you can 'import' that map image into ExpertGPS. After you import the map in, you view the map in ExpertGPS and click on each of the three known points and tell ExpertGPS the coordinates of those points. Once it knows all three coordinates, it can then compute the coordinates of any other location on the map. I believe OziExplorer also does this (actually, I believe OziExplorer *only* works this way with maps since it doesn't have terraserver access like ExpertGPS does).

Like somebody else said, this is a great feature. My state (Pennsylvania) offers PDF maps of all its State Gamelands and most of these maps have coordinate markings on them allowing me to import them into ExpertGPS. These state maps are often more useful than the terraserver USGS maps (although they lack the terrain contour of the USGS maps), because they have a lot more extra detail on them: extra roads and trails, old mine locations, old railroad bed locations, etc.

Edited by Jeeters

If you want to reinvent the wheel, have at it. I use both GSAK and USAPhotomaps, and don't see much need for another entry, but if you get it working let us know, and I'll be happy to take a look at it. Both GSAK and USAPhotomaps are rather mature products, though, and they work pretty well, so you'll have to do some serious coding to come close to either.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, been slammed with work....

Thanks for all the great Ideas, and I'll definitely look into the suggested software.

The point really isn't re-invent the wheel, just to simplify. GSAK is great, the author is very responsive and the software is constantly updated. You really couldn't ask for more. But it has 10,000 functions I'll never use and note sure what they do. USAPhoto Maps is also a great piece of work, but could use work on the waypoints, and be a bit more geo-cache friendly.

When I started, my idea was the base USAPhoto Maps UI with a modified navigation, with the ease of GSAK's waypoint/cache editing simplified. It was never meant to compete or take the place of either GSAK or USAPhoto Maps (couldn't even if that was my original intention).