Wenatchee Cache Machine

travisl

Note about "Don't sit under the apple tree":

Please park by the road, do not drive onto the canal. The cache is a short walk from the road. There are no tresspassing signs, but you can walk on the canal, but definately not drive.

How do you know you can't drive? Does it say "No Vehicle Access" or just "No Trespassing"?.....Maybe No Trespassing means something different in E.WA!.....:lol:

I'm not up to driving in thre snow. I'm calling the trip off. Work has been crazy this week and they need me for he whole day tomorrow so I wouldn't be able to drive in the daytime. But I will definitely visit your neck of thre woods sometiem this spring. Been on mylist for a long, long time.

Edited by evergreenhiker!
I'm not up to driving in thre snow. I'm calling the trip off. Work has been crazy this week and they need me for he whole day tomorrow so I wouldn't be able to drive in the daytime. But I will definitely visit your neck of thre woods sometiem this spring. Been on mylist for a long, long time.

Hey, I didn't want to hear that EGH! I was looking forward to talking about fishing and hiking over a beer or two. You'll be missed.

I'm not up to driving in thre snow. I'm calling the trip off.  Work has been crazy this week and they need me for he whole day tomorrow so I wouldn't be able to drive in the daytime. But I will definitely visit  your neck of thre woods sometiem this spring.  Been on mylist for a long, long time.

Hey, I didn't want to hear that EGH! I was looking forward to talking about fishing and hiking over a beer or two. You'll be missed.

Yeah me too! But I wouldn't be able to get out until hte morning now anyway thanks to work.

Just checking out the free wireless internet access here at the Red Lion in beautiful downtown north Wenatchee. Took way longer than expected to get here. Had to spend nearly five hours at the Chevy dealer in urban Wapato getting a new transfer case module installed and reprogramed. Didn't get to nearly as many caches as I wanted to. But tomorrow is another day. Plan to hit a few around the area. Coming in today it was in the mid 50s with high overcast and clouds. Should be a great weekend. See you all tomorrow at the dinner. The Red Lion isn't bad but no fridge in the room. Oh well, for 46 bucks a night you can't have everything. Internet works well, not broadband but OK.

Can we get a last minute/late night update/summary of what/where/when?

ie:

Friday dinner coords

Sat dinner coords

Just so I don't have to wade back and extrapolate with all the changes...

Thanks,

B

This is what I have:

Friday dinner: Abby's Pizza N47° 24.340' W120° 16.733'

Saturday dinner: El Abuelo N47° 25.004' W120° 18.388'

On the cache page, but repeated here NOTE CHANGE FOR FRIDAY DINNER IN THE LOG SECTION

Abby's Pizza

702 Grant Rd

East Wenatchee, 98802

N 47° 24.340', W 120° 16.733'

at 7:00 Friday night, where we'll mingle and discuss last minute changes.

Dinner on Saturday will be at El Abuelo,

601 S Mission St.,

N 47° 24.996 W 120° 18.386,

at 7:15 p.m. Dinner is $12.50, plus drinks.

Edited by andrewrj

I read at KING5.com that Peshastin Pinnacles State Park is finally open again. I'm assuming that this means we'll be able to hunt for Cache Mirror, and if not, it'll still be a neat spot to go check out.

Talked to the Ranger today he checked out the cache and said it is okay except for a little bit of melting and singeing. Contents okay. He approved the location and will be issueing a permit for us for the cache. The trail should be finished tomorrow so all is a go. As he read the logs he noted that someone found the cache 4 days before the fire went through. :D The park was closed at that time because of the danger of the fire. We as cachers need to be sure and obey the rules. The State Parks are working with us I hope we don't ruin it all by not following the rules. :lol:

We might buy some chains just in case and we'll probably be leaving at 5ish.

Buy them from Les Schwab and don't use them...you can get a full refund when you return them.

GeoRoo... AndrewRJ maybe staying in my driveway. Are you still game for the back yard now that EGH dumped you? Let me know.

If there are any other homeless cachers please let me know.

-R-

GeoRoo... AndrewRJ maybe staying in my driveway. Are you still game for the back yard now that EGH dumped you? Let me know.

If there are any other homeless cachers please let me know.

-R-

I'm all packed and ready to roll in the morning, so I'll see what the weather looks like and where I'm at tomorrow. Can you send me your phone number and cords. if you didn't already. I'm always a last minute camper.....:lol:

Is it snowing? My friend just went over Blewett this afternoon, and said it was bare and dry. :lol:

Note about "Don't sit under the apple tree": 

Please park by the road, do not drive onto the canal.  The cache is a short walk from the road.  There are no tresspassing signs, but you can walk on the canal, but definately not drive.

How do you know you can't drive? Does it say "No Vehicle Access" or just "No Trespassing"?.....Maybe No Trespassing means something different in E.WA!.....:lol:

Trust me on this. :D

sumteast.jpg

Cool. That's where I'll be in about six hours.

And yes, the information in Moun10Bike and AndrewRJ's posts is correct.

(Both sets of coordinates are from eyeballing a map, so may be off a little bit, but if you can't find it from there... you get a DNF for the event :mad:;) )

Hi all,

I am in sunny and breezy Wenatchee. The drive over was a snap. Went Snoqualmie/Blewett and the roads were clear and damp. It was raining in a few places but that was the worst of it.

Looking forward to meeting some of you at Abby Pizza tonight.

later

:lol:

I cannot believe it is over. What an experience! Travis, you rock dude. I have heard this was the largest cache machine to date. If I were to name those I remember, I would inevitably leave someone out. So I wont other than to say, thank you for coming and I am so happy to have met you all. I mean that from my heart, and that’s not the margaritas talking. I had a blast answering calls, watching you with your heads down in concentration oblivious to how ridiculous you looked, and even breaking the law trying to park. I do however have something to say that has been eating me up. This is IN NO WAY meant to be a self-serving post, and I hesitate to post it for fear it may be. But if it is, that’s your problem. This is merely to point out a belief that I try to live by and can only hope that others may glean some insight.

This is in regards to Saturday’s (tonight’s) dinner. Wenatchee is a small town. Unless you have lived in a small town, you may have a hard time understanding how hard it is to find a place to seat 75-100 people for dinner for a decent price. Take in consideration the fees that accompany a large crowd. If you are unfamiliar this feat, try booking an event without paying extra for the room, the servers or having only 2 choices of overcooked mass-produced food. The only other venue capable of handling a group our size was the Convention Center. Did I mention Wenatchee was a small town? You get what you get here. This is not Seattle. Large venues are just not available. Per the cache page and the thread, I had 95 people saying they would come. Between those who did not show up, and those who did that had not reserved, it washed out to 93 cachers for dinner. No problem since I had food for 100 ordered. Yes, those plates were big and people took a lot of food and we ran out. But, the chef made more and that too was eaten (believe it or not, they did not make it for free). Did I refund your money? Yes. Did I cover the drinks that people forgot to pay for? Yes. Did I cover the extra food the chef made? Yes. Did I get to eat? No. However, that was my choice and I would do it again because I wanted to make you feel welcome and enjoy your time in our small town. After I refunded this person’s money and he left in a huff, had he turned around, he would have seen someone who was in tears, crushed by his anger. He made all the work that had been done seem pointless. The point of my post? Please look beyond yourself and take the actions of others in mind. YOU may have been unhappy because of some disappointment, but if you really open your eyes and look beyond yourself, you might realize the world does not revolve around your happiness. By doing that, you in turn will be a happier person. It’s best summed up by the Rotary Club, “Service above self”.

Let me reiterate, I am not seeking praise. I had a great time, laughed a lot, learned a lot and met some new friends. Any of those individually is payment enough, but combined it’s priceless.

Now you all can LOSE my cell phone number! (preferably NOT in a public bathroom)

This was a fantastic Cache Machine. We met up with some really great people. Travisl, once again, hats off to you for putting this together.

Robin, we really appreciate everything you did. Dinner was great, but so were all the other little touches that weren't expected. The kids thought the table decorations were great (confetti, little gums, and play dough). That was definately unexpected, it really gave the kids something to do while the adults got a chance to talk and wind down. The little gift bags at the pre-dinner were great too! In fact, just you passing out your phone number to everyone Friday was amazing. (Thankfully we didn't have to use that life-line!) Dinner was excellent after being on the road since 5:00am. When we went down to pay our tab, we told the woman what a wonderful job we thought they were doing. She seemed to appreciate the comments.

Thanks to everyone. We all had a wonderful time.

I also need to express my gratitude for everything the Wenatchee cachers did to make us feel welcome. Robinego, I've planned my share of events for 100+ people and there a HUGE amount of work for a few short hours. I for one truely appreciated all the work you put into setting everything up for us.

We had a great time this weekend thanks for everything!!!!!!

p.s. The final uturn count was 9 for the weekend + 1 quick trip the wrong way down a one way street. But it was all the GPS's fault, we were only doing what it said.

uturn1.jpg

Edited by Wander Lost
I also need to express my gratitude for everything the Wenatchee cachers did to make us feel welcome.  Robinego, I've planned my share of events for 100+ people and there a HUGE amount of work for a few short hours.  I for one truely appreciated all the work you put into setting everything up for us. 

We had a great time this weekend thanks for everything!!!!!!

p.s.  The final uturn count was 9 for the weekend + 1 quick trip the wrong way down a one way street.  But it was all the GPS's fault, we were only doing what it said.

Ummm, you realize that "Make a U-Turn" is just PC-speak for "You're Lost!".

But of course, you're alway Lost (capital L). :rolleyes:

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Originally, I wasn't sure I wanted to do a Cache Machine, but with assurances from McLaughlin's Marauders and urging from LittleBlue I decided to test the waters. All I can say is WOW. What an experience. Almost non-stop, pre-sunrise to post-sundown caching (with only a short stop for lunch).

What a ride. Started off the day by arriving at #1 early only to find others there already looking. Signed that one and off to #2...and so on, and so on...

Laptop in the backseat with McLaughlin's Marauder Jr connected to the GPSr, me in the passenger seat reading cache pages and checking off the finds and few DNFs, and McLaughlin's Marauder himself driving, we mowed 'em down and kept going until we shattered the McLaughlin's Marauders previous 'one day find' record of 30-something, and passed their 300th cache find. Going until we were too pooped to pop.

I/we Teamed up and split-up with a few other groups throughout the day, but no matter who we were with, everyone, as far as I could tell, had a great time and everyone contributed to finding the caches.

I met and cached with a lot of other cachers I did not yet know (among them, Cruiser Guy, Xwarrior, RecDiver, the4Grays, Greenthumb and Tweetie, the Riddlers, and Trevor & Kate) in addition to other friends (LittleBlue, Phil&Cathy, GeoRoo, K7-Wave, NSUE, Ray, and Runhills) I've met since starting this sport in October of '04.

Thanks for all your hard work Travis. I hope to attend more of these in the future.

I also met, and would like to thank for all their hard work, the 'local cachers' I had the pleasure of meeting...XY, Patudles, and robinego...as well as all the cache 'placers', without whom we wouldn't have had such a wonderful time.

Again, WOW.

Cheers,

Brian aka Allanon

After I refunded this person’s money and he left in a huff, had he turned around, he would have seen someone who was in tears, crushed by his anger. He made all the work that had been done seem pointless.

Robinego, even though I didn't come to the cache machine, your big heart is very appreciated, and for that yokel that couldn't display a little compassion or patience, well that's their loss. I can't imagine it would be anybody I know. Most of the folks I hang with understand what a huge undertaking you took on. It just goes to show you can't please everybody, but it sounds like you pleased 99% of them and that's a durn good record in my book. :lol:

Cheers!

TL

This is in regards to Saturday’s (tonight’s) dinner. Wenatchee is a small town. Unless you have lived in a small town, you may have a hard time understanding how hard it is to find a place to seat 75-100 people for dinner for a decent price.

Did I mention Wenatchee was a small town? You get what you get here.

A small town? I was thinking how big a city it was when we got there. Guess it depends on your point of view. :P

Sorry you had a bad experience with someone Robinego. I thought Wenatchee did an awesome job of hosting this cache machine and want to make sure that all of you know how appreciated y'alls efforts were. That dinner was the best setup we've had in the 6 ( :lol: ) cache machines I've been to. We weren't overcrowded, didn't have to spend 45 minutes waiting for food, and everyone got to sit in the same room.

Thanks TravisL for the machine, I haven't counted my caches yet. Actually haven't even gotten home yet. B) But wanted to make a quick post to tell Robinego and the rest of the Wenatchee crew thanks.

Robinego, we're so sorry you went away feeling upset about the dinner. We have nothing but admiration and gratitude toward your immense hospitality and all the work you put into the dinner. As we walked out of the restaurant, we commented to each other about how welcoming you and the other Wenatchee cachers were. We were VERY impressed with the gift bags on Friday night, and even though we didn't need to use it, the phone-a-friend option was an outstanding addition!

This was our 4th cache machine and hands down the best. Great hosts, great route, great caches (unless you hate micro's :lol: ) great people and a great dinner! Thanks to all.

Wow, what a blast! Robinego, Patudles, and XY- you guys rock! I loved every minute of the CM. And the dinners Fri and Sat night were great! I didn't see a drop of unhappiness there- sorry you were on the receving end of some. B) I wonder a bit about the tab thing- when I went down to pay for my one beer I had forgotten the little ticket from upstairs. They told me no problem and I paid. I told them my name and thought they would write it down so they'd know it had been paid at the end of the night, but she just smiled and nodded. I wonder if I wasn't the only one to pay this way and these were some of the 'leftovers'? Ack! :lol:

Glad I got to meet you, Robinego and you guys did a wonderful job hosting an event of that size and craziness. I can't say enough good things about ya'll! And glad I got to meet you at the 'car in the toilet' cache! [:P] Hope ya'll had a good time up on the ridge!

Now there has to be a story here... Do tell!

Hee hee! Well, we had just returned from doing the Earthcache and were at the Vernita Oasis cache when who should we see but Robinego and Patudles drive up B) . We chatted (Robinego trying to get me to pick her date in the pool again... :P and found the cache together. Then us girls headed over to the 'rest stop' proper before they headed off to the Earthcache and us homeward. There was a woman and two young kids in the big stall and we hear 'How are we going to get your car out of the toilet?! Go get your mom!' Apparently he had dropped it in :lol: Next thing you know they're peeling out of the parking lot with the car still sitting in the toilet. We had to laugh when the next woman came in and went in that stall. She didn't say a word! B)

I heartily concur with the other posters: GREAT EVENT! Thanks to TravisL, as always, for all the work putting it together (gotta start using another map routing program, tho, dude). The additional files by Mr Gigabyte are always invaluable, as well.

This was the best CM of the 3 I've done, largely due to the efforts of the locals - Robinego, Patudles, xy,xx,etc. - you rock! The 'phone a friend' handout was priceless (used it Sunday morning; thanks, Robinego! :o), and the dinners both nights were wonderful.

About the Saturday dinner - Robinego, you should be proud. Having put on such dinners myself for similar clubs, I know it's no easy feat - and I'm impressed the actual numbers were so close to your reserved number. Trying arranging/prepaying for a dinner for 150 and having only 32 come. My club had to eat $1000. Having a reserved room, all decorated, with a bar and food we didn't have to order and wait for - excellent! My only teeny suggestion to my fellow cachers for future dinners is that not everyone eats meat. One of the cachers in my group is a vegetarian, so the only thing she could eat was the rice and tortillas (even refried beans have animal fat in them). However, unlike the angry fellow you mention, she paid $12.50 without complaint for her bit of rice and tortilla - so I guess she subsidized someone else's super-sized meal. And about the drinks - I tried to pay for mine when I got it, but they waved me off because they weren't set up for payment (which was fine) and said they'd run a tab, but didn't take my name. When I tried to pay later downstairs, they just looked at me blankly.

Thanks to all - it was my first time in Wenatchee and Apple Country, and it was memorable!

Abby