Wenatchee Cache Machine

travisl

Allanon Posted: Mar 27 2005, 04:43 PM 

Just a random thought/wish...I don't suppose someone has created (and wants to share) a GPX file with the caches/route? Don't make me do all that work...   

I have a current GPX file for the cache machine but don't have web space to share on. The GPX file was extracted from GSAK and even contains the stop number in the user data column. If you would like a copy e-mail me and I will send you a copy.

It has been mentioned before that Sharing GPX files violates the Terms of Service of GC.COM.

That being said.... many do it anyway.

I have been caching in Wenatchee once, and I believe there are more No Trespassing signs per capita than any other town on Earth. As I was looking at stop # 23 Don't sit under the apple tree, I had a feeling that I had tried to find a way in to that cache and gave up.

I think it would be handy if we could get some advice from locals on some of the navigation gotchas in this town and parking spots for some of the caches. Driving around in circles and turning around repeatedly stops being fun after the first few, and pretty much ruins the cache machine experience for some of us after doing it all day long.

A related navigation question is the one of terrain ratings that vary with the ground clearance of the vehicles being used. Some of us won't be doing any extensive hiking on Saturday and would like to know how far various types of vehicles can park from such caches as #16 Under the Saddle, and #17 King Granite.

I have been caching in Wenatchee once, and I believe there are more No Trespassing signs per capita than any other town on Earth. As I was looking at stop # 23 Don't sit under the apple tree, I had a feeling that I had tried to find a way in to that cache and gave up.

I think it would be handy if we could get some advice from locals on some of the navigation gotchas in this town and parking spots for some of the caches. Driving around in circles and turning around repeatedly stops being fun after the first few, and pretty much ruins the cache machine experience for some of us after doing it all day long.

A related navigation question is the one of terrain ratings that vary with the ground clearance of the vehicles being used. Some of us won't be doing any extensive hiking on Saturday and would like to know how far various types of vehicles can park from such caches as #16 Under the Saddle, and #17 King Granite.

For the cache Jude's Oasis I would recommend parking accross the street in the parking lot and taking the cross walk to the cache. I wouldn't advise parking along the busy road there.

Hopefully this will help. Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree is hidden along the irrigation canal. It it posted No Trespassing, this is meant for vehicles. You need to park along the rd and walk to cache. Our canal system is a popular walking, jogging and dog excersize place. Just take great care when parking as it is in an orchard area. Cache #21 "Sweet Music" shows a road going to cache. This is a private road. The best way to access this cache is to park in the nearby parking lot of the Exercise Club and hoof it to the cache. The cache is on a popular and public trail system. Nice view from cache. Again #16 & #17 are in popular and public hiking trail systems. Parking is at entrance to trail system there and no problem.

All caches on the CM are navigatable by any car. There might be a dirt road or two but they all are good roads. If it is rainy could be a might muddy in a place or two.

Are we still on for Abby's on Friday night?

Yes, but...

!Location change!

You snooze, you lose. I waited too long to call, and Abby's in Wenatchee is booked up for Friday. Some kind of baby shower or bridal shower.

But, Abby's in East Wenatchee is happy to have us. So, Friday dinner will be at:

Abby's Pizza

702 Grant Rd

East Wenatchee, 98802

N 47° 24.340', W 120° 16.733'

Please adjust your notes accordingly.

I'll be updating the cache page.

So do any of the locals know of a good lunch bathroom stop around the middle of the day? Close to the caches at that time of day? Or are we out in the mountains at lunch time?

By lunch time it is hard to say where you will be as you will probably be strung out by then. You will be visiting many of our parks any one of them would do for a lunch break. I am listing several places that have public bathrooms. I'm sure I have missed a few but this should help.

• #20 Washington Park -bathroom near cache
  • #30 Autumn Leaves, bathroom a short ways away
  • #33 Itty Bitty Island, bathroom near where you park to find cache
  • #41 Cash Mirror, bathrooms if park is open
  • #44 Portage, Outhouses I think
  • #71 River Walk, nearby bathrooms.

Hope this helps

So do any of the locals know of a good lunch bathroom stop around the middle of the day?  Close to the caches at that time of day?  Or are we out in the mountains at lunch time?

I got an e-mail from the state parks department today; in spite of what it says on the parks' web site, the park is open.

My schedule is showing Indian Lore at noon (if it's not buried under construction), and I'm fairly certain that there's restrooms at I Hid It On My Birthday, a DNF from two years ago that I really need to remedy. That's where we'll be at lunchtime, give or take 90 minutes.

So do any of the locals know of a good lunch bathroom stop around the middle of the day?  Close to the caches at that time of day?  Or are we out in the mountains at lunch time?

By lunch time it is hard to say where you will be as you will probably be strung out by then. You will be visiting many of our parks any one of them would do for a lunch break. I am listing several places that have public bathrooms. I'm sure I have missed a few but this should help.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for this information. With a full car load, I have highlighted the places and will be glad to have this planned stops. Now how about a good, high octane coffee place open at 5am. near the first cache?

With the questionable/possible snow issues on the way over to the event, especially over US2, I want to see if anyone is interested in carpooling over with me.

See, I like to drive in the snow and I'm not afraid of it, but I know some are. Soooo....

I'm leaving early on Friday (let's say 7:00am from Monroe) to cache my way over to Wenatchee. If anyone (up to 3) are interested in hitching a ride, I'd be more than happy to take you along.

I'll be leaving early-mid morning (9:00am latest) on Sunday to come back.

If you're interested, let me know.

Is Indian Lore still there?

We went out today and checked on a few caches.

Indian Lore is perfectly fine, no problems there. There is some construction nearby, but it is not affecting the cache at all.

We went by Cache-Mirror cause we were in the area, and they're in the middle of reconstructing trails. At the moment, the trail to the cache is closed, even though the rest of the park is open. I talked to the workers, and they said that they will be done by Friday. They are slated to be there until Sunday, though, so we'll see. Hopefully they will keep to their schedule. Otherwise, the park looks very good for having had a recent fire.

I see several on my first go through on the list. #4 Apple Capital Recreation Loop Trail and #8 Judes Oasis with possible problems. I've done #43 Arco Edie and it's not a stroll in the park, but doable with some scrambling. Might not be up to most though. Parking is best going W on 2 and off the road by the orchard. Go under the US 2 bridge. If someone does this in 6 mins they have a jet pack or wings!.......:laughing:

•  

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for this information. With a full car load, I have highlighted the places and will be glad to have this planned stops. Now how about a good, high octane coffee place open at 5am. near the first cache?

Sorry, don't drink the stuff so don't know what is available. There are several drive-by coffee shacks in town but what time they open I have no clue.

Back to the bathrooms, just checked on #44 "Portage" today. The portapots are not set out yet, so you'll have to remember to use #41's

I'm closest to US2, so that's the way I'm going.

True, 90 does have more lanes going over...but you are then going to have to go over Swauk which if I remember is only 2 lanes...just like US2...unless you do as you say and go farther and back track.

I think 90/Swauk is probably less elevation than US2 though.

Six of one, half a dozen of your mother...shrug...

I have been concerned about this too. I'm inclined to try US2 and cache my way there, nice and slow. Pass conditions on Friday morning will ultimately affect my decision. If they are requiring chains early in the morning hopefully it will warm up enough to improve a little later. This morning both Snoqualmie and Stevens were snow packed and had the same requirements (Traction tires/chains if over 10K lbs gross wt). Now it's just "traction tires advised" and you can see the blacktop.

This is a little troubling. I have a 04' Honda CRV (4-wheel when it wants to) with the tires that came with it, not what I'd call "traction tires". Am I going to have to break down and buy a set of chains "just in case"? I'm not uncomfortable driving in snow, I'm more worried about the other guy and ice.

I plan to leave noonish on Friday and had thought to take I-90 since I'm leaving from work in Bellevue. I'll take the longer route through Quincy if I have to.

Any thoughts?

We are taking the "wait and see" approach. Our plan is to leave after school (a requirement from Mrs. Marauder) and take the best route available at the time.

MapPoint shows the routes from Issaquah:

US2 (133 Miles)

I-90 to 97 (134 Miles)

I-90 to the river and up (181 miles)

Leaving after school, and anticipating a 3 hour drive (worst case), I doubt that we'll have time to cache much on the way, and make the dinner at Alfy's.

If anyone is leaving the Greater Seattle area in the neighborhood of 3-4PM, and wishes to caravan over, drop us a line, and we can exchange cell phone numbers. Otherwise, we'll be monitoring FRS Ch2.

McLaughlin's Marauder

Am I going to have to break down and buy a set of chains "just in case"?

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I bought my chains from Les Schwab last year, you could return them for a full refund following the snow season if you didn't use them.

So you could buy them, throw them in your car, and then return them next week if you don't end up needing them.

Pass route recommendation:

No question, I-90 to Blewett is the way to go if the weather looks the least bit dicey. We go to Leavenworth fairly frequently. Even coming from Carnation, which is a little bit less distance going over Hwy. 2, the drive is typically less time and waaaayyyy more comfortable going over Snoqualmie. Even though Blewett is 2-lane, it is way easier to drive than Stevens Pass. I never drive west on Hwy. 2 if I can help it at all, scares the hell out me coming down that steep sweeper.

My qualifications:

Ski instructor since 1989, drive up to Snoq. and other areas three days a week in the winter (OK, not this year). Carry chains and am not afraid to use them (personal best, both front wheels on my old Accord wagon in eight minutes flat). I haven't had to chain up yet in my '03 CRV, through all last season and last weeks trip over US-50 to Lake Tahoe (max elev. over 8,000') in a snowstorm.

Good hunting, sorry I can't join y'all

paul2tele

Now how about a good, high octane coffee place open at 5am.  near the first cache?

Closest place I could find open at 5 am is a coffee hut located where you will need to park to do Jude's Oasis. They open at 5 a.m. and Jude's oasis is stop # 8 hope that will do.

As for the passes. It depends on where it is snowing. Sometimes one is worse than the other but generally I prefer Blewitt over Hwy 2 in Winter conditions. Unless it is a snow front going thru the afternoon generally should be pretty dry.

I checked on Beehive area and as of last Sunday the road is not open yet to traffic so all the caches up that way will need to be gotten at the campout. That's so you'all can come back again. Sorry Georoo, no camping up that way yet. I haven't made it up Icicle River, with all this snow it is likely to be cold and snowy up there.

Edit: Oooops

Edited by Patudles

I'm sure I'll find someplace to camp. I'm going to head over tomorrow, so I'll poke around and see what I can find. I remember a nice spot near Navs Spanish Castle cache on the river. I don't remember seeing any No Camping signs.

It's not looking like any major cold spell is forcast, so I wouldn't worry too much about any of the passes unless you go very early in the morn. What snow we get will be slushy and melting on the roads by late morning. Snoqualmie is usually the best way to go if snowing. Stevens is reopening for skiing this weekend, so the road will be sanded well. This late in the year compact snow won't last long on any of the passes. I have my studded snow tires on. You're suppose to have them off by April 1st, but with the recent snow I would bet they are going to extend that date. Has anyone heard anything?

I have my studded snow tires on. You're suppose to have them off by April 1st, but with the recent snow I would bet they are going to extend that date. Has anyone heard anything?

The news last night said the deadline had been extended. I'm not sure of the exact date, but I seem to remember April 12.

In regards to - Cash Mirror

Ambrosia and I went to check it out yesterday to see if it survived the fire. As Ambrosia said the path to it is not finished being worked on. There was a lot of erosion. Hopefully it will be finished by Saturday. The work crew is pulling out Friday finished or not.

I spoke to the Ranger Manager today of the State Parks in this area. This is the only cache within a State Park in this area. He did not know it was there but is quite interested in the caching concept. He does not mind that the cache is there and will issue a permit for it if it is in an acceptable spot. He is concerned about cachers safety though. I told him about the cache machine coming throught on Saturday. So tomorrow a ranger and I are going to go check out the cache together. We will see if it survived and if it is in an accepable location, also if the path will be safe or not by Saturday. If needed we will replace the cache container. If he feels it is not in a good location or the path is unsafe we will find another location and put a cache there. I will email the new coords to Travis if this happens.

Soooo, it looks like there will be a cache somewhere there. Now this is a state park so you might want to carpool with someone who has a pass for the state parks for this cache. The Ranger is very kind and wants to promote caching in state parks in this area so we also want to follow the rules.

Edit: Ooops

Edited by Patudles

Per a fellow night nurse who lives in Cle Elum and drives to Wenatchee (she's nuts), I asked her about the pass (Blewett) on the way over last night...it was bare and dry. She called me a few minutes ago when she got home and it hasn't changed this morning.

Saturday night dinner:

Carne Asade

Chicken Carnitas

Shrimp w/garlic butter

Tortillas

Pico de Gallo

Guacamole

beans & rice

Vegetarians... you can order off the menu if you would like

Please be prepared to pay for dinner "at the door" so I don't have to charge 90 meals at $12.50 each (and end up getting stiffed) on my charge card.

Libations are extra and our "personal server" will be able to take care of that at dinner.

Am very excited to meet you all and put the rumours with the correct faces. Pepper and Lucy surely cannot own all of them. Questions or comments are welcome, smart a** responses are free.

-R-

I asked my husband about the passes.

He felt that out of the two passes, Blewett and Stevens, Blewett is usually the easier in snowy conditions. He said to check the pass report, though, before you head out to make sure, because every situation is different.

As Recdiver mentioned, if the passes are very bad, going through Quincy is ideal. It is a little longer, but this is the route that my husband prefers on his trips to Yakima, especially when the weather is bad, because of the lower elevation.

Hmm... I'm at 924 finds, and there's 76 75 caches on the route. Guess I'd better find a few on the way there.

One of those 75 "caches" is the restaurant as mentioned above. Come on, Travis you can't count that. You have to have at least a LITTLE integrity in your cache count. <_<