Wenatchee Cache Machine

travisl

I enjoy the E.WA caches and look forward to meeting all those famous Wenatchee cachers I've heard so much about.......:lol:

Ha! :( Famous in who's eyes? We are a bunch of misfits who constantly call each other enough times our families are getting suspicious. "Yes honey, that was Xy, but he was asking about a cache...really!" or better yet, "mom, "that woman" is on the phone again". We know each other's work schedule so we know when we can skunk the others on FTF's. (assuming Xy would actually stay at work and do some) :lol: Can't tell you how excited we are to have you all come over here.

Hmmmm, after reading some of the reviews of the Wenatchee motels I'd want to bring a shotgun along to ward off the creepy crawlers!...... All I really need is a mountaintop chalet with a fireplace and a hot tub. Nothing special. I see all those spanish style villas on the hill tops surrounding Wenatchee is that too much to ask for!.......

I am scheduled to work that Friday night but have a back yard you are more than welcome to pitch a tent in. It's not a Spanish style, but you can't beat the view and there is a firepit. And as a bonus, the bar isn't too far! Course, the dog may take a liking to you and you would have to use the kids bathroom downstairs, but heck, you're used to wild and dangerous animals right? (i'm talking kids, not dog here) :rolleyes: You'd be gone by the time I get home so I wouldn't be waking you up.

I enjoy the E.WA caches and look forward to meeting all those famous Wenatchee cachers I've heard so much about.......:lol:

Ha! :( Famous in who's eyes? We are a bunch of misfits who constantly call each other enough times our families are getting suspicious. "Yes honey, that was Xy, but he was asking about a cache...really!" or better yet, "mom, "that woman" is on the phone again". We know each other's work schedule so we know when we can skunk the others on FTF's. (assuming Xy would actually stay at work and do some) :lol: Can't tell you how excited we are to have you all come over here.

Hmmmm, after reading some of the reviews of the Wenatchee motels I'd want to bring a shotgun along to ward off the creepy crawlers!...... All I really need is a mountaintop chalet with a fireplace and a hot tub. Nothing special. I see all those spanish style villas on the hill tops surrounding Wenatchee is that too much to ask for!.......

I am scheduled to work that Friday night but have a back yard you are more than welcome to pitch a tent in. It's not a Spanish style, but you can't beat the view and there is a firepit. And as a bonus, the bar isn't too far! Course, the dog may take a liking to you and you would have to use the kids bathroom downstairs, but heck, you're used to wild and dangerous animals right? (i'm talking kids, not dog here) :rolleyes: You'd be gone by the time I get home so I wouldn't be waking you up.

I am scheduled to work that Friday night

Ok, you just wrecked my view of all you famous geocachers. You all work? I had this image of you all sitting in your spanish villa overlooks looking down on Wenatchee. Ralph are there any new caches we can get? Fire up the Rolls lets go.....:D Backyard sounds fine. I might even head over early and find a place up by Beehive or there abouts. With the zero snow we have this year it would be nice to have a campfire and camp out.

I had this image of you all sitting in your spanish villa overlooks looking down on Wenatchee.

Robinego is the only geocacher I know of that sits in her Spanish Villa looking down on Wenatchee. The rest of us live in the valley or in the canyons. Sometimes we wonder about her, but you know, there's less oxygen at the higher levels. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Navigatorz
I had this image of you all sitting in your spanish villa overlooks looking down on Wenatchee.

Robinego is the only geocacher I know of that sits in her Spanish Villa looking down on Wenatchee. The rest of us live in the valley or in the canyons. Sometimes we wonder about her, but you know, there's less oxygen at the higher levels. :P

<Thwap> :) Look buddy, I know where you live. Patudles has a great park in front of her house, wonder if her neighbors would mind? You know, I've come to the conclusion, If one comes, why not more. The geo-ignorant spouse would be THRILLED :lol: with me lending our patch o'grass to all of you, but hey, we cachers are a bit impetuous. Forgot to mention, I have WiFi as does my neighbor! And I'm trying like heck to get the night off.

Ok, got the night off so consider this an invitation to camp on my lawn. You wont be "in town" but it's cheap, you got WiFi, a bathroom (scary as it might be), a firepit and a view! It's up Burch Mtn Road REAL close to several caches. If you have the tendency to go au' naturel, :P the neighbors may have a fit and you'll have some 'splainin to do (to them, not me). Nights are into the 40's right now, days, 65.

-R-

Ok, got the night off so consider this an invitation to camp on my lawn. You wont be "in town" but it's cheap, you got WiFi, a bathroom (scary as it might be), a firepit and a view! It's up Burch Mtn Road REAL close to several caches. If you have the tendency to go au' naturel, ohmy.gif the neighbors may have a fit and you'll have some 'splainin to do (to them, not me). Nights are into the 40's right now, days, 65.

Dang...if I wasn't already spending $70 a night for a nice comfy motel room I'd consider it...if for no other reason than to flash the neighbors... :):lol::P

Ok, got the night off so consider this an invitation to camp on my lawn. You wont be "in town" but it's cheap, you got WiFi, a bathroom (scary as it might be), a firepit and a view! It's up Burch Mtn Road REAL close to several caches. If you have the tendency to go au' naturel, :rolleyes: the neighbors may have a fit and you'll have some 'splainin to do (to them, not me). Nights are into the 40's right now, days, 65.

-R-

NO!....I'm not the naked cacher from the westside, so get those scarey ideas out of your head. Hey if you have a firepit I can bring some firewood and we can have a all night fire. After looking at the start time I think I'll just stay up all night. Do people really function at that time of the morning?.......:lol: Awful nice of you to offer your backyard to someone you don't even know. I have a laptop that I can tap into your WiFi. Now that we all have a camp out spot who else will be there?.....

Travis, I was visiting with Red Bear this past weekend and he mentioned he ask you to take Oh Me Oh My off of the list. Would you please do so, so it doesn't have to be archieved for awhile. I don't think this particular cache supports a cache machine. Thank you for doing so.

Red Bear this past weekend ... mentioned he ask you to take Oh Me Oh My off of the list.

Absolutely -- it was an oversight on my part that it got left on draft 2. I'd taken it off of draft 2, then my map file got corrupted, so I went in a second time and (frustrated and just wanting to get it done) just did it from memory. I'd intended to remove it, but missed it the second time around.

Sharp88 had sent me a great e-mail with great detail (e.g., "GCJ0GD Brown and Cole was a DNF last in July"), but I didn't review it on my second map attempt. His comments will definitely make it into the final.

Sharp88 had sent me a great e-mail with great detail (e.g., "GCJ0GD Brown and Cole was a DNF last in July"), but I didn't review it on my second map attempt. His comments will definitely make it into the final.

Looks like xy, etc. found Brown and Cole yesterday?

So far I have 60 counted for dinner on Saturday night, (incl. some locals). Some who have responded here on the thread have not on the cache page, so I may have missed you. If you said "we" or "our", I have counted you as 2 people. I only have 4 teams as 4 people (4grays, Ambrosia, Xy, Riddlers) everyone else is a 1 or 2. Please let me know if I need to update your #s.

For dinner on Friday night, I suggest you all trade cell phone #s and figure out where the majority of you all are at a given time and grab something informal together.

Had a brain storm... I have 16 and 17yr old daughters who would be willing to babysit youngin's if needed. The 16 yr old needs to support her gas tank habit since mom and dad will not. Let me know.

We have 1 taker for back yard camping, more the merrier.

And as before, locals are available for navigation.

One last thought (and usually the most painful), I was wondering if I should notify our 15 page newspaper about the CM coming. (the news may get bumped if something huge happens, like 4 apples fell off a tree simultaneoulsy). Do we want this a secret, do we want lots of publicity?

-R-

So far I have 60 counted for dinner on Saturday night, (incl. some locals).  Some who have responded here on the thread have not on the cache page, so I may have missed you. If you said "we" or "our", I have counted you as 2 people. I only have 4 teams as 4 people (4grays, Ambrosia, Xy, Riddlers) everyone else is a 1 or 2. Please let me know if I need to update your #s.

We posted on the cache page but not on here, I think! There will be two of us.

I keep thinking about contacting the guy that does the your sports column for The World. I think it'd be really cool if there were an article about Geocaching prior to the CM and announce that the CM will be happening and how to find out about it.

I completely agree, xy! :(

As an out of towner that has down one cache machine...

I would suggest no coverage before, but coverage during, to be posted after. The reasoning is that I was shocked when driving into a town and seeing a cache machine going on. Car caravans doing lawbreaking and, one accident causing incident. I thought how do the locals feel when all these (mostly Seattle ) folk hit their town in hordes and cause traffic jam ups and indiscrestions. Locals do not know the excitement and reasoning behind our actions. How do neightborhoods feel when 20 plus cars whip in, hordes of people get out of said vehicles and converge enmass to their relativley quite family/kid parks. It is kind of ominous from their view point, sometimes blocking their driveways. My real concern tho' is coverage before may expose hides when people put the article together with why people in hordes are hitting their neighborhoods. Coverage afterwards just explains it. One would want to create goodwill in the communities I would think. I hope you all convey this as you are on your great cache machine event. Have a blast, we'll be thinking of you and the last machine we semi pseudo did with you!

I did some digging and found these motel rates

Avenue Motel 55 nite

Ceder Inn 63 nite

Comfort Inn 81

Economy Inn 65 Nite

Holiday Lodge 50 night

Super 8= 74

Ramada=90

Redlion = 85 (priceline 46)

Welcome Inn 75

Travel Lodge 76

All of these are a night, hopefully it helps

Hey wenatchee folks, i wasnt able to see pics of the Welcome in, Holiday Lodge, or Ceder in. Can i get some feedback on these? It might resort to us staying at redlion possibly....

~Derek

Does the icicle river still have some nice camping spots along it? I was last up there 15years ago. I might just crash at such a spot and do some fishing as well as hitting a million caches with you all.

Icicle is our favorite camping area. The lower campsites should be open. There are a few caches up that way. One is a very nice multi-cache walk on both sides of the river. I will try to get up that way and check it out for you.

Can i get some feedback on these? It might resort to us staying at redlion possibly....

Cedar Inn looks like a nice place to stay. Holiday Lodge, La Quinta, are the newest ones in town. Cedar Inn is fairly new but the others are all older motels. Been around many, many years. Who knows, they may be nice and updated inside, never been in any of them.

Does the icicle river still have some nice camping spots along it? I was last up there 15years ago.  I might just crash at such a spot and do some fishing as well as hitting  a million caches with you all.

Hey EGH where you going to camp? Robinego offered her back yard, but a mountain spot would be much preferred. Last I heard the road was closed at Eight Mile campground, but by April may be open if this summer weather holds. I haven't camped anywhere around there for about 20 years. Just too much of a zoo for me in the summer, but April could be ok. I know there is some camping at Beehive Resevoir up the road to Mission Ridge. Anyone want to comment on that area? Count on me for dinner Sat. night. I'm planning on heading over early Friday or maybe even Thursday, so I'll hook up with anyone if they want to cache on Friday or a get together Friday night. I have my "I Heart Wenatchee" bumper sticker all ready to go. RWW would you like to buy a treking pole?.....I'll bring yours along.......:lol:

Does the icicle river still have some nice camping spots along it? I was last up there 15years ago.  I might just crash at such a spot and do some fishing as well as hitting  a million caches with you all.

Hey EGH where you going to camp? Robinego offered her back yard, but a mountain spot would be much preferred. Last I heard the road was closed at Eight Mile campground, but by April may be open if this summer weather holds. I haven't camped anywhere around there for about 20 years. Just too much of a zoo for me in the summer, but April could be ok. I know there is some camping at Beehive Resevoir up the road to Mission Ridge. Anyone want to comment on that area? Count on me for dinner Sat. night. I'm planning on heading over early Friday or maybe even Thursday, so I'll hook up with anyone if they want to cache on Friday or a get together Friday night. I have my "I Heart Wenatchee" bumper sticker all ready to go. RWW would you like to buy a treking pole?.....I'll bring yours along.......:ninja:

welll I dont have any concrete ideas yet. I just remember there being some free spots along the icicle years ago. I might try to come down early Friday as well. long shot is thursday, but more likely friday.

As an out of towner that has down one cache machine...

I would suggest no coverage before, but coverage during, to be posted after.

I agree, have the news cover the event but not report until after. It can have some uninvited muggles tagging along and perhaps hitting cars while hunters bail to look for a cache. It would be fine to have a report afterwards showing the hordes running to a cache or digging through blackberries with a caption that said, thanks for a great time in your town.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday for food...where ever it is... B)

Saturday's confirmed at El Abuelo (thanks, Robinego!). We've got reservations for 75 people, at $12.50 each, plus drinks.

El Abuelo is at 601 S Mission St (47.41658, -120.30644), and I'll have it on the third draft of the route, which I plan to post tonight.

Friday night, unless someone has a really good objection, will be at Abby's Pizza, 509 N Western Ave (47.42973, -120.34592).

My husband just had a dinner business program at el abuelo last night, in the upstairs room. It has a nice view of the sunset. They just gave us a pre-prescribed section of the menu that we could choose from for ordering, all for the same price per person. Maybe that is what is scheduled for our caching group? It worked great for us.

By the way, thanks for the heads up, Robin. We had no idea that el abuelo had that room, it's great to have for our business!

Saturday's confirmed at El Abuelo (thanks, Robinego!).  We've got reservations for 75 people, at $12.50 each, plus drinks.

Any idea whether there are any vegetarian options at El Abuelo? It appeared that there are chicken, beef, and seafood options... can't seem to Google the answer to this one.

Thanks for the heads up on Rivers Edge. I'll check its status just before I post the final route (March 27).

On the draft route, if a cache has an icon that's not a typical traditional cache icon, multi cache icon, or unknown icon, it's a cache that I'll be taking a close look at before the final.

For example, a red cross (King Granite, Jude's Oasis, Flustrations) is a note to myself that the cache may be missing or badly damaged. A black-and-yellow frown (Blue on Blue) means that the cache is disabled. A do-not-enter means that the cache must stay off the route for some reason.

The red moon indicates a night cache, Kiss Youth Goodbye. The boat means the cache is accessible by boat only. The car indicates parking coordinates for the nearby cache (Cash Mirror - I hope this one gets opened in time!).