Wenatchee Cache Machine

travisl

Wow! :P I had no idea. Maybe they treated my husband so well was because he was there for so long and they needed to impress him for future business purposes. I will surely let him AND Red Lion management know about these ratings and my displeasure. I just had dinner with the manager last Thursday too and even spoke to him about the cache machine coming through... B)

We are leaning towards the LaQuinta. My daughter doesn't want to do the cache machine and wants to crash by the pool with some friends. I keep telling her we have camping gear and there are alot of campgrounds in the area. Not the thing to tell a 16 year old who has been waiting for warm weather! During the Tri-Cities Machine, we did the hill country on Friday. This enabled us to complete most of the cache machine (we are horrible at time management) on Saturday. Sunday, we did the supplemental along the river and into Oregon and then went home. Unfortunately, getting off work and then dashing to Wenatchee will get us in town well after dark.

Just about everywhere I'm looking to stay ends up at around $120 for two nights. Red Lion, Travelodge, La Quinta, Super 8...

MapPoint is showing a handful of motels that sound like they could be on the sleazy side, but I'll toss them out there -- which ones of these should we avoid at all costs?

East Wenatchee Motor Inn

Mickey O'Reilly's Inn at the River

Economy Inn

Avenue Motel

Lyles Motel

Orchard Inn

Starlite Motel

Mickey O'Reilly's Inn as well as sports bar and grill were shut down by the tax man several months ago. The Orcard inn is now a Super 8. The others on your list, while I don't know about the sleaze factor are all older, room door opens to the outside kinds of places. The Cedars Inn in East Wenatchee is new within the last 10 years and has a pool. Dee Generator cache is practically in their parking lot. Jude's Oasis, Between the Bridges, and The River's edge are just across the Street and within 0.2 miles.

I told Misguided One the other day that we couldn't justify this cache machine with me out of work. He was disappointed, but agreed that I was right. I got a job offer yesterday that I gladly accepted so it looks like we'll be able to make it!!!!!!

No details yet, but after skimming the thread I think we'll try for resevations at the LaQuinta and will likely arrive late Friday night. No skipping out early from work in my first month.

Not a plug, but we usually stay at the Travelodge which is a little cheaper. Our caching requires lots of motel nights <_< Both T-Lodge and Best Western across the street have free high speed computers in their lobbys (for the laptop deprived). K&A

Travel lodge sucks big time

I've tried them in Portland and also when I moved back over here while3 I was apt hunting.

Don't go to that chain.

We also got the La Quinta at $62 per night.  Now I just have to find a new cheap dial up internet service.  Any suggestions?

I use Netzero for 9.95$ a month. It's been good for me the past 11 months i've had it. They also advertize the FREE netzero 10 hour thingy. Just a suggestion, even though i know your online more than 10 hours a MONTH!!!!

~D

P.S. I would really reccommend NOT! staying at the Red Lion Inn, I have stayed at that one, and Was VERY VERY unhappy, but i guess you really get what you pay for. I'd sleep in my car before i ever stayed there again!

Edited by Tenniskid
We also got the La Quinta at $62 per night.  Now I just have to find a new cheap dial up internet service.  Any suggestions?

I use Netzero for 9.95$ a month. It's been good for me the past 11 months i've had it. They also advertize the FREE netzero 10 hour thingy. Just a suggestion, even though i know your online more than 10 hours a MONTH!!!!

~D

Yep I'm just looking for something to use every now and then while we are traveling. We have cable internet at home and Comcast doens't offer the dial-up service that AT&T did.

Back on topic, we'll likely be bringing the mini-van so we'll have room for two more adults comfortably.

Wander Lost Posted on Mar 2 2005, 11:30 PM

We also got the La Quinta at $62 per night. Now I just have to find a new cheap dial up internet service. Any suggestions? 

nocharge.com, but I'm not sure if they have local numbers in Wenatchee.

that only works for Western Washington, nothing on the east side of the Mtns.

~D

~D

Yep I'm just looking for something to use every now and then while we are traveling. We have cable internet at home and Comcast doens't offer the dial-up service that AT&T did.

Back on topic, we'll likely be bringing the mini-van so we'll have room for two more adults comfortably.

Heck, if you are just going to use it when traveling then use the free one. They have access numbers for almost everywhere! I've used it on 3 cache machines. It's a free download also on Netzero.com or u can get a CD at Bestbuy

~D

Are there any really close campgrounds because we're hoping to come.

Tent or trailor, Anon? ;)

It's around 40 degrees right now(tonight), but who knows if it will be colder or warmer by then.

If you want a trailor type option, there's a state park at the north end of town, Confluence. I think you might be able to tent, too. I don't know if it is open right now or not?

A bunch of things:

1) The second draft of the route is posted. Poke away!

2) I've got a bookmark list set up with all the caches, but I'm not sure how to share it. Does this link work?

3) The pre-event dinner was scheduled to be at Mickey O'Reilley's Sports Bar, but xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy says it's been shut down. Any other suggestions?

4) The post-event dinner is now tentatively scheduled at a tiny Red Robin, which is unlikely to be able to seat all of us. Any other suggestions? (Help, Robinego! :ph34r: )

5) I've deleted a few of the more time consuming caches that some of you pointed out (View from the Castle, Old Paint). I removed Non Rolling Log (wrong hours). I deleted Kiaya (missing) and Snapdragon (boat only, safely). I added "Kiss Youth Goodbye" as a post dinner night cache, for anyone interested.

3) The pre-event dinner was scheduled to be at Mickey O'Reilley's Sports Bar, but xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy says it's been shut down.  Any other suggestions?

4) The post-event dinner is now tentatively scheduled at a tiny Red Robin, which is unlikely to be able to seat all of us.  Any other suggestions? (Help, Robinego!  :o )

Basically we need 2 nights for meals right? Approximate numbers for Friday and Saturday night are needed. I've been watching the cache page and counting, but I have no idea for what night. Maybe if everyone responds here and lets me know or even e-mails me, I could firm up that number. Also, are there children involved?

I've been giving the town a few go rounds. Mexican seems to be the front runner only because these seem to have the room. I have one place (El Abuelo...the grandfather) that has an upstairs room that can seat up to 100 people. We would have our own server and a buffet style serving of 3 items, chicken, beef and seafood, along with the standard sides. Approximate cost per person, $12.50, libations not included. The food is good (tested it myself the other night) and the owner is anxious to have us.

I also have a line on Garlini's which is an Italian restaurant and a local favorite for the other night.

Let me know what you all think. I can also talk to the Red Robin manager (who needs to make up to me big time for the stinging letter I wrote to corporate about him and his staff). Improvements have been made, but I have no compunction to point out that I have my eye on them. (once a waitress always a waitress).

Travis, you've done a huge amount of work on this so I don't want you to stress over the mundane. Consider the meals taken care of. :( -R-

robinego Posted on Mar 7 2005, 09:39 AM

QUOTE (travisl @ Mar 6 2005, 10:53 PM)

3) The pre-event dinner was scheduled to be at Mickey O'Reilley's Sports Bar, but xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy says it's been shut down.  Any other suggestions?

4) The post-event dinner is now tentatively scheduled at a tiny Red Robin, which is unlikely to be able to seat all of us.  Any other suggestions? (Help, Robinego!  )

Basically we need 2 nights for meals right? Approximate numbers for Friday and Saturday night are needed. I've been watching the cache page and counting, but I have no idea for what night. Maybe if everyone responds here and lets me know or even e-mails me, I could firm up that number. Also, are there children involved?

I've been giving the town a few go rounds. Mexican seems to be the front runner only because these seem to have the room. I have one place (El Abuelo...the grandfather) that has an upstairs room that can seat up to 100 people. We would have our own server and a buffet style serving of 3 items, chicken, beef and seafood, along with the standard sides. Approximate cost per person, $12.50, libations not included. The food is good (tested it myself the other night) and the owner is anxious to have us.

I also have a line on Garlini's which is an Italian restaurant and a local favorite for the other night.

Let me know what you all think. I can also talk to the Red Robin manager (who needs to make up to me big time for the stinging letter I wrote to corporate about him and his staff). Improvements have been made, but I have no compunction to point out that I have my eye on them. (once a waitress always a waitress).

Travis, you've done a huge amount of work on this so I don't want you to stress over the mundane. Consider the meals taken care of.  -R- 

Isn't there a Kings Table buffett style restaraunt just off Hwy 2 as you are coming into Wenatchee? Probably not the most classy place in town but those type of places usually have a banquet room that can handle good sized groups.

FYI,

2 for sure Saturday night but not sure about Friday. We are staying w/ friends and they may want to do something Friday.

Numbers are always the problem. In Gig Harbor, I predicted 24, and we got something like 60. In SnOlympia, I predicted 35, and got about 25.

For this one, counting "maybes" as ½ person, I'm counting 46 confirmed. So, I'd predict 50. Not everyone will make both meals, but locals show up, too, so 50 sounds like a reasonable number. Of course, this could be way off, and I wouldn't guarantee any number to a restaurant, which just makes it more difficult for them to staff.

If Red Robin is as small as you've indicated, I'd like to go somewhere else. Mexican buffet is fine; italian is fine. Heck, King's Table is OK, too, but if it's the same cost as El Abuelo, I'll go with gramps.

But wherever it is, while it doesn't have to be kid-oriented, it needs to at least allow them.

Thanks for taking the lead on this for me, Robin.

(BTW: I'm taking my chances with the Red Lion. $46 on Priceline worked; $44 did not.)

I would shy away from something as formal as a 'catered' buffet. Especially for Friday night. Friday tends to have people straggling in so something casual where we all take care of our own needs is best, IMHO. For Saturday I don't mind a buffet type deal with a seperate room. We'll be so tired any food will taste good.

I like the idea of a buffet-style dinner with a separate room on Saturday night. Don't have to sit around waiting for a waiter to take our order while there's DNFs to correct.

I thought Carls Jr. worked really well for Friday night in the Tri-Cities. Very casual and no worries about head count at fast food joints.

I'd like to try and make this one. This would be my first cache machine. Is there anyone camping? I just got back from a 4 day camping/fishing/geocaching trip over your way by George, so any cold isn't a bother. Motels give me the heebee geebies, so any backyard or patch of grass is fine. Not into camping in pay campgrounds with someone 20 ft. away. I suppose this time of year they won't be too busy. I've done some of the outskirt caches around Wenatchee, but the inner city ones would all be new. Anyone need a navigator or cache partner? Any kind of food is fine as long as it doesn't make me sick.......:rolleyes:

I'd love to join everyone for dinner Friday night (I like Stump's suggestion for a casual Carl's, Jr.-type dinner, as that seemed to work well last time), but runhills and I are heading up to Chelan to do a little hiking and I can't guarantee that we'd be back in time. So, I would put me down as a "maybe" for Friday and a definite for Saturday.

THere is an Abby's Pizza at 5th and Western in Wenatchee that has a huge dining room. being that Softball season isn't going on yet, I'd bet they'd be able to acommodate us. No Carl's Jr. here in Wenatchee. Fast food here is limited to BK , Taco Bell and Mc D's none of which I would call big. You can have beer and wine or salad bar at Abby's too.

I'd like to try and make this one. This would be my first cache machine. Is there anyone camping? I just got back from a 4 day camping/fishing/geocaching trip over your way by George, so any cold isn't a bother. Motels give me the heebee geebies, so any backyard or patch of grass is fine. Not into camping in pay campgrounds with someone 20 ft. away. I suppose this time of year they won't be too busy. I've done some of the outskirt caches around Wenatchee, but the inner city ones would all be new. Anyone need a navigator or cache partner? Any kind of food is fine as long as it doesn't make me sick.......:lol:

You sure you cant bend on the hotel, my cache partner cant make it this weekend and I already booked the room. It's got two queen beds :lol: If not we could carpool and I could just drop you off somewhere and pick up in the morning :rolleyes:

Anyone need a navigator or cache partner?

I'm still looking for someone to team with. I can either drive or ride.

Sounds good, drop me an e-mail. I should probably read back through the pages of posts and see what is going on. I'm a cache machine newbie, so I don't have a clue how these things work. I really have been hesitant to do a CM because I didn't really think that was a legitimate way to do caches, but I enjoy the E.WA caches and look forward to meeting all those famous Wenatchee cachers I've heard so much about.......:rolleyes:

I'd like to try and make this one.  This would be my first cache machine.  Is there anyone camping?  I just got back from a 4 day camping/fishing/geocaching trip over your way by George, so any cold isn't a bother.  Motels give me the heebee geebies, so any backyard or patch of grass is fine.  Not into camping in pay campgrounds with someone 20 ft. away.  I suppose this time of year they won't be too busy.  I've done some of the outskirt caches around Wenatchee, but the inner city ones would all be new.  Anyone need a navigator or cache partner?  Any kind of food is fine as long as it doesn't make me sick.......:(

You sure you cant bend on the hotel, my cache partner cant make it this weekend and I already booked the room. It's got two queen beds :D If not we could carpool and I could just drop you off somewhere and pick up in the morning :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, after reading some of the reviews of the Wenatchee motels I'd want to bring a shotgun along to ward off the creepy crawlers!......:lol: All I really need is a mountaintop chalet with a fireplace and a hot tub. Nothing special. I see all those spanish style villas on the hill tops surrounding Wenatchee is that too much to ask for!.......:lol: