Garmin Gps And Gillson External Antenna

mrking

I ordered a Gillson antenna from GPSGeek.com for my map60C and just got it today. WOW, is all I have to say, what a HUGE difference in reception. Without it I get five or six satallite locks and an accuracy of 6 to 9 meters. With it I get a consistant 4 meters accuracy and all but two satallite locks.

Now to test it in the bush.

I am just shocked at how such a small external antenna gets so much signal.

Just thought I would share this.

Cool...I was just looking at those last night online and wondered if the antenna you have is compatible for my GPSMAP60.  Which antenna did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I got the second one on THIS page. The Amplified GPS MCX / OSX antenna.

From the description it looks like it is compatible with the GPSMap60. GPSGeek has great service. Give them a call to make sure.

Oh, and for $20 it is a great deal.

EDIT: Oh, one of the best things is that it has a magnet on it so you can slap it on the roof of your vehicle if need be. I bent a small piece of thin metal onto my backpak and will just "stick" it to that piece and off I go. No need for brackets. Great stuff!!!!

Edited by mrking

I've been using one with the 16' cord with my map60c at work to track where the boat is on the Mississippi. I'm almost never over a 20" accuracy circle using the external antenna. There will be a second one soon, with a windshield bracket and a 3" cord for car use. I also use the 16" model for National Map position information; just set the antenna on the fence at a cell tower--- :surprise: They're great!

Tom

I picked one up for my 76cs from GPSgeek and had the same results: big boost in signal from all the birds, steady lock even in the house, much better performance under tree cover, and fewer multipath errors in my truck while travelling in town. The only disadvantages are the cable (likes to get caught on things while stumbling through the woods) and a slightly shorter run time from NiMH batteries. For the money this is a great product. :D

I used my 60cs with the Garmin antenna this past weekend on a full day of heavy cover caching. This was the first opportunity I've had to use my newly designed Clear Creek geocaching vest with an antenna holder on the shoulder. It has a cable feed under the vest exiting via a grommet near the "D" hook where the 60cs is attached, thus keeping it from snarling on outside objects . I had solid reception for the 8+ hours I was under the cover and only had reception problems when I occasionally disconnected the antenna to check out the difference.

I also just picked up a Gillson for my 76CS and wow! Also, it helps when in extreme tree canopy, at least until a total block of the sky occurs.

I would love to know of a way to wear this Gillson. I read of the vest and the idea of a hat mount. Seems like there has got to be some sort of hiking accessorty that caters to GPS hikers that would already have an antenna "pocket" or velcro. I wonder if there is something like that out there?

I'm new in all of this, so apologies for bringing up old issues. I did do a SEARCH on the board, but this one is kinda difficult to nail down.

Seems like there has got to be some sort of hiking accessorty that caters to GPS hikers that would already have an antenna "pocket" or velcro. I wonder if there is something like that out there?

I'm new in all of this, so apologies for bringing up old issues. I did do a SEARCH on the board, but this one is kinda difficult to nail down.

Tilly hats have a little pocket in the top. Also Trimble makes a cap with a pocket specifically made for a GPS external antenna:

http://www.trimblestore.com/mapping/

I just took a small piece of stretchy fabric and sewed it inside the top of a cap I already had. Only took a few minutes and it holds the Gilsson antenna very securely.

I also just picked up a Gillson for my 76CS and wow! Also, it helps when in extreme tree canopy, at least until a total block of the sky occurs.

I would love to know of a way to wear this Gillson. I read of the vest and the idea of a hat mount. Seems like there has got to be some sort of hiking accessorty that caters to GPS hikers that would already have an antenna "pocket" or velcro. I wonder if there is something like that out there?

I took a 4 inch piece of flexible metal strap material and wrapped it around the shoulder strap of my backpack, so that it sits right on top of my right shoulder. I have a 9' cord, mostly coiled in my backpack, and usually wear my 60C on a belt clip when I hike. The magnet on the Gilsson holds it to the strap with no slipping, and my GPSr never loses signal, even in the woods.

Is this the same one that they originally were selling for $20 or has something changed?

What changed is that they used to sell primarily directly with gpsgeek being the sales outlet name of Gilsson. Now they are switching to selling at wholesale to assorted dealers. The dealers probably didn't like being undercut on price by gpsgeek.

AFAIK the antennas themselves are unchanged.

I'd be willing to shell out an extra $20 if they had this built in to begin with...wouldn't you?

No. I'm happy with the Gilsson antenna I've had for over a year, but I also get good reception with the antennas that came with my Garmin receivers (eMaps, III+, 12, V). The big benefit I see with the Gilsson is that I can position it for an optimum skyview and keep the receiver in the most convenient position for viewing or carrying.

Yes, the gain seems to be turned up higher on the Gilsson, but that's somewhat of a mixed blessing. It can be a benefit where some of the signals are being absorbed, but it can also make the unit more susceptible to multipath errors by letting it see weak reflected signals. Presumably Garmin looked at this tradeoff when deciding how much gain to include in their receiver preamp stage.

OTOH, there do appear to be some receiver samples that have significantly worse sensitivity than normal. Better quality control would certainly be desirable.