Dpm?

WYlostinMA

Planning.

Know the hider, Know the area the cache is in, and know that you are going to need to do more planning the more specific your requirements for a non DPM cache are.

Some people don't want to plan, and don't want to try to have more fun, but then that's their own fault. Not mine for having placed a cache that someone will enjoy, even if not them.

Thanks for enlightening me to the notion of planning. Part of planning, I guess would be to search through previous logs to see what others have said about the caches. I would definitely put a cache on ignore if I had seen others had left notes about this being a "crappy", "lame", or "DPM" cache.

--RuffRidr

If you think a log only micro , hidden in a Wal Mart parking lot is a gift to geocaching, you have low standards. When new geocachers visit caches like this, they read the positive logs written my power cachers. They falsely assume that lame caches are ok to hide because no one writes critical online logs.

MEDIOCRITY BREEDS MORE MEDIOCRITY

I couldn't agree more!

I'll also add that caches like you mention are only gifts to other geocachers who are playing this game for numbers.

For me, I like to hike and explore neat places when geocaching. I also am seeing less and less new opportunities to do that in this hobby. Why is it that those of us who raise these concerns are labled elitists?

Salvelinus

If you think a log only micro , hidden in a Wal Mart parking lot is a gift to geocaching, you have low standards. When new geocachers visit caches like this, they read the positive logs written my power cachers. They falsely assume that lame caches are ok to hide because no one writes critical online logs.

I couldn't agree more!

I'll also add that caches like you mention are only gifts to other geocachers who are playing this game for numbers.

For me, I like to hike and explore neat places when geocaching. I also am seeing less and less new opportunities to do that in this hobby. Why is it that those of us who raise these concerns are labled elitists?

Salvelinus

I'll echo and amplify every word of the above post (including the quoted post within).

-Dave R.

Dave's Opinions on Geocache Hiding

Someday not too distant, we will have instant cache notifications that will be triggered when I press the button to list each new cache.

It'd be cool to have checkboxes on that log:

__ Notify members of the he-man micro haters club. This is a cache with a hike.

__ Notify members of the numbers-hungry cache baggers club. This is a park 'n grab.

__ Notify everyone. This is an event cache where geocachers get together to say how much fun they're all having.

...if you put out a WALLY WORLD cache expect it to be lame...

Ok, just for that, I'm going to have to go place a wally world cache and have people giving rave reviews about it. Just to prove it can be done.

If your going to quote me PLEASE give the whole quote. GO RE-READ MY POST.

cheers

I couldn't agree more!

Salvelinus

I'll echo and amplify every word of the above post (including the quoted post within).

-Dave R.

Dave's Opinions on Geocache Hiding

I won't.

They are not making more rivers, caves and canyons. There are only so many 'great spots' and there are only so many 'crap' spots.

Caches can exist in them all.

If you take the time to check when I started geocaching, and my find count, you'll see I'm not into the numbers (as long as they are correct :laughing: ).

Some of us cache with a simple goal ... to hunt and to find. That pretty much says it all. Luckily, I have not gotten to the point where I expect more out of a cache hide than the hide itself.

I have found a couple lampost micros. The last one was in a shopping center parking lot. When my GPS was telling me to turn into the parking lot, one thing did not cross my mind ... "Hmmm, wonder if this is a shortcut to the woods." It is possible to stop the hunt before finding what you know you won't like.

I didn't stop ... I like 'em ... a cachin' foole or a foole cachin' :laughing:

There are only so many 'great spots' and there are only so many 'crap' spots.

Caches can exist in them all.

Yeah, but you don't have to use the crap spots first.

But you can't tell me what's crap and what's not with anything close to a good answer. The reason you can't tell me is that you only know what spots work for you, and vice versa.

But you can't tell me what's crap and what's not with anything close to a good answer.

Yes, I can.

A dumpster behind a gas station is a crap location.

Any place that is serving as an unofficial garbage dump is a crap location.

A nice view over a lake is not a crap location.

I think you get the picture.

At least he's hiding caches.

It looks to me like CoyoteRed and Sissy have hidden 28 caches.

:D

--RuffRidr

I stand corrected. It, however, doesn't change the fact that the phrase lame is a matter of personal taste.

Handicapped people may find caches that involve longs walks lame while finding a drive up micro in a Walmart parking lot awesome.

People who cant swim may have an aversion to underwater caches while others may love them.

Ive seen numerous threads all about how people dislike cemetery caches.

Its absolutely impossible to please everyone with a cache hide so why even try. If we all stopped hiding caches because some elitist snob calls it lame, there might as well be no more caches hidden anywhere. No matter how clever or scenic the hide, there will always be someone who has something negative to say about it.

Just because you can't do a cache or that you don't prefer that particular cache doesn't make it lame.

I can't do a SCUBA cache, but I wouldn't call it lame. I can't swim to a cache, but I wouldn't call it lame. Even if there is something negative to say about a cache, that doesn't make it lame.

*steps up on soapbox* So I see that this topic has gone way off into a tirade by a few to define what is lame ONCE AGAIN ! It is sad , very very sad that some people feel they just have to bash on anothers fun. What is lame to one person is NOT lame to another and far be it for me to decide what is FUN to someone else.

I like MICRO's , I like them a lot . Finding a micro in a walmart parking lot may be the only chance I get to find a cache in a particular area or state depending on where I might be traveling , and the timeline I may have to get there. So a stop and grab is great .

Sometimes the coolness of finding a cache may not dawn on us until we get home and read the logs of people that had to Log a DNF , but we found it ! That in itself adds to the coolness of the experience.

On the other hand instead of placing a Virtual , we are almost encouraged to place a micro . Why because getting a Virtual approved is almost impossible , I suspect mostly because of other people trying to define what is lame and what is "wrong" with Virtuals once upon a time .

We cannot place a moving cache no longer, no locationless, and virtually no Virtuals anymore . So are you few going to stay on that soapbox about what is lame untill you manage to get EVERYTHING you consider LAME banned ? SHAME ON YOU ! Why oh Why ruin the fun for everybody , just because a cache does not meet your Standards! I maintain its a free world if you do not want to do a particular type of cache , then don't hunt it ! Its your right . But please oh please stop trying to ruin someone elses fun , just because by YOUR standards it was Lame .

Live and let live , cache and be happy . Hunt what you like and just simply don't hunt that which you call "LAME" .

*steps off soapbox*

Star

At first your attitude was this:

You know, instead of getting po'ed at the person that left the note, maybe you should re-examine your hide.

Many thanks to TPTB for the ignore list! Best thing since PQs, hands down!

Now, if we could just get the abilty to proclaim a cache too lame to block a nearby cache that might actually be worthwhile.

Then you made this wonderfully sensitive comment:

I'm sorry that your wife can't get around very well, but using that as an excuse for lame caches is pretty lame in itself. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd be a bit miffed that my contemporaries aren't considerate enough to place decent caches for her to enjoy. Are Walmart parking lot caches the best you can do for her?

Think about it.

All of a sudden your position changes to this:

Just because you can't do a cache or that you don't prefer that particular cache doesn't make it lame.

I'm confused. Perhaps you could explain why you say throughout the thread how lame and crappy the hide is and now you change on a dime.

How can you make an argument when your point of view changes faster than the weather in New England.

Edited by WH
I'm confused. Perhaps you could explain why you say throughout the thread how lame and crappy the hide is and now you change on a dime.

How can you make an argument when your point of view changes faster than the weather in New England.

I think CR has been pretty consistent. I do agree that every cache appeals to someone. Personally, when I have to make my way through a garbage strewn lot and search for a cache among the feces left by the inhabitants of a nearby homeless encampment, carefully making my way around used hypodermic needles and empty wine bottles to find a moldy, soaked logbook in a cracked Gladware container hidden under a rotting piece of plywood, its lame. I realize however that some people actually like caches like this. To each his own. Call a cache like that a gift to the community if you like, but at least allow me to express my disgust in my log if I so choose. Call me an elitist.

Edited by briansnat

My position has never changed. Maybe I made a typo or mis-spoke. Ever think of that? What, you going to criticize my spelling next?

But, I'll clear this up for up for you...

A type of cache, like urban micro or SCUBA, doesn't make it lame. What makes it lame is the complete lack of thought or care for your fellow cacher beyond the "gift" of the increment of a find count.

Speaking of "gift," this is something I've been seeing more often when it relates to lame caches. Here, here's a "gift." A gift of what? Crap? Well, most of the time it is. No, it's not a "gift," it's junk.

I wonder just how different the landscape would be if you couldn't give feedback and you couldn't track your finds on the site. I'd bet a lot of folks would drop out because the numbers associated with their accounts is what makes them feel important. I'd also bet that a vast majority of the junk caches would never have been placed. Of the ones placed, I'd bet most of those wouldn't get hunted because then there would be no reward beyond self satisfaction. Would that be enough to keep you going? Really?

I think we could pretty much divide folks into two camps; ones that would drop out if there was no convenient feedback and find count tallies and those that would stay.

Which camp are you in?

I realize however that some people actually like caches like this. To each his own. But at least allow me to express my disgust in my log if I so choose. Call me an elitist.

Brian said very well how I feel.

Whenever I find some micro hidden in a parking lot, or a keyholder stuck to a guardrail, I just can't understand that some people enjoy this type of hide, and that someone saw this place and thought it was a good spot for a geocache.

Unfortunately, that's fairly common. And I'm surprised that many of the logs of those caches say things like "Thanks for the cache" or "Fun one." I wonder if those people are being truthful or just patronizing.

I've hunted all kinds of different hides, and if I think the person didn't put much thought into the hide, I don't mind indicating my experience in my log. I've never used DPM though. On the same coin, if a cache appears well thought out, I won't hesitate to go on and on about the joy I had finding it.

Jamie

true and now their note it gone

Way to preserve the cache history. Why let it effect you so much. In my opinion the person was being nice. His log doesn't change how the next person feels about the cache or how other finders felt about it. Let it roll off you back dude. There are more important things to get all worked up about.

Which camp are you in?

I'm in the camp that welcomes caches of all sizes, shapes and descriptions. Every cache whether it be located overlooking a canyon and waterfall or stuck under a dumpster behind the local supermarket has its own charm and meaning to some.

I personally don't care for the Walmart micro, that however does not give me the right to tell someone else that the cache is lame and shouldn't be there. Everyone caches for their own reasons. I have mine and you have yours. Just because your reasons for caching may differ from mine, doesn't make them any less valid.

Different point of views, techniques, tastes and styles are part of what makes caching so much fun. Theres something for everyone.

Some are in it for the stats. Some are in it for the exercise. Some are in it for the cache trinkets. Some prefer TB's. I could go on and on and on.

You have a right to your personal tastes. Don't deny others the right to theirs.

A type of cache, like urban micro or SCUBA, doesn't make it lame.  What makes it lame is the complete lack of thought or care for your fellow cacher beyond the "gift" of the increment of a find count.

Speaking of "gift," this is something I've been seeing more often when it relates to lame caches.  Here, here's a "gift."  A gift of what?  Crap?  Well, most of the time it is.  No, it's not a "gift," it's junk.

I wonder just how different the landscape would be if you couldn't give feedback and you couldn't track your finds on the site.  I'd bet a lot of folks would drop out because the numbers associated with their accounts is what makes them feel important.  I'd also bet that a vast majority of the junk caches would never have been placed.  Of the ones placed, I'd bet most of those wouldn't get hunted because then there would be no reward beyond self satisfaction.  Would that be enough to keep you going?  Really?

I think we could pretty much divide folks into two camps; ones that would drop out if there was no convenient feedback and find count tallies and those that would stay.

Which camp are you in?

And that is ENTIRELY YOUR opinion , and everyone has one ... Why ruin it for everyone just because of it ?

BTW I would stay because I find Caching FUN ...

Star

Edited by Team Tigger International

In the earlier days of Geocaching, the popular description of one was to take you to an interesting place that you would have otherwise not visited. To me that was out in the country away from developement. As we publicized the activity, it was bound to be populated with people having different ideas of what a fun cache experience was. I was strongly opposed to our approver letting what I considered a spamming or dozens of small caches in a so called series which were predominately in an urban area. It ran contrary to what I believed was a quality caching experience.

Well the acceptance was very positive and I ate crow over it. More caches contrary to what I deemed good were popping up and people seemingly were enjoying them. No longer was my search page clean for fifty miles around me. My hobby became influenced by many others.

Last spring, I had surgery to correct damage done to my foot. I litterally wore my heel out from the many miles of geocaching. Now, on a good day I might do several miles. On a bad day, I look for the * and * which may be in the Walmart lot and am thankful that there are some that I can still find. Yeah, I actually have a pocket query for those!

If you don't like the simple ones or think one is just plain nasty for some reason, many times you can tell that from the logs or the area that it is located in. Use the new ignore feature and look for something else more promising to satisfy your expectations. If you do a cache that is a stinker in your opinion, find some decent way of expressing your opinion in the log.

Personally, when I have to make my way through a garbage strewn lot and search for a cache among the feces left by the inhabitants of a nearby homeless encampment, carefully making my way around used hypodermic needles and empty wine bottles to find a moldy, soaked logbook in a cracked Gladware container hidden under a rotting piece of plywood, its lame. I realize however that some people actually like caches like this. To each his own. But at least allow me to express my disgust in my log if I so choose. Call me an elitist.

I agree.

WYLostinMA- You won't be able to please everyone. Some people will like it, some people won't. Some people won't care either way - it's a cache, there for the "hunting." I did one of yours, my first lamp pole micro.... It wasn't thrilling, but it also wasn't the WORST Wal-Mart cache I have done (that was the next day, in Vermont of all places). But, you should know, there aren't, relatively speaking, a lot of micros in New England - and there's a reason for that - many people in these parts don't like them.

But, you are welcome to place them. Just be able to accept negative feedback, no matter what you place - it's part of the game. I placed a cache not too long ago that just didn't seem to "do it" for most of the locals - low visits, lackluster posts - even though I thought the area was very cool. But that was just it - the AREA was cool, but the hide was lame. So, it's disabled until I can make it better.

And, BTW, park and grabs can be cool, at least to some degree. I have one that very clearly states that it is a quickie, but it has some history info at the sight and the hide is kinda neat. I have had some of the best comments about this cache, even though it's small and takes about two minutes - it can be done.

Good luck. Don't take things so persoanlly - it'll only make you crazy.

If you do a cache that is a stinker in your opinion, find some decent way of expressing your opinion in the log.

I think "DPM", however cryptic it may be to those who might not have read about it in the Forums, gets the job done quite effectively. It beats "I thought your cache sucked", doesn't it?

And isn't that where this thread started?

-Dave R.

I realize however that some people actually like caches like this. To each his own. But at least allow me to express my disgust in my log if I so choose. Call me an elitist.

Brian said very well how I feel.

Whenever I find some micro hidden in a parking lot, or a keyholder stuck to a guardrail, I just can't understand that some people enjoy this type of hide, and that someone saw this place and thought it was a good spot for a geocache.

Unfortunately, that's fairly common. And I'm surprised that many of the logs of those caches say things like "Thanks for the cache" or "Fun one." I wonder if those people are being truthful or just patronizing.

I've hunted all kinds of different hides, and if I think the person didn't put much thought into the hide, I don't mind indicating my experience in my log. I've never used DPM though. On the same coin, if a cache appears well thought out, I won't hesitate to go on and on about the joy I had finding it.

Jamie

Very well said, both of you. This is where I stand on the issue as well. I couldn't have said it better than you two.

--RuffRidr

The tenor of this thread makes me appreciate the new ignore option all the more. Frankly, I think some of the posters should probably look into that option further. If you think lampost micros are not worth your time, then just ignore them. I find that I have little enough time to do the things I enjoy that I don't want to waste it slamming a person's cache placement. I don't feel the need to lambaste someone by posting a note to their cache page. If I don't like someone's hides, I just don't do them anymore. I find life in general more enjoyable when I don't get worked up over the insignificant details.

My position has never changed. Maybe I made a typo or mis-spoke. Ever think of that? What, you going to criticize my spelling next?

But, I'll clear this up for up for you...

A type of cache, like urban micro or SCUBA, doesn't make it lame. What makes it lame is the complete lack of thought or care for your fellow cacher beyond the "gift" of the increment of a find count.

Speaking of "gift," this is something I've been seeing more often when it relates to lame caches. Here, here's a "gift." A gift of what? Crap? Well, most of the time it is. No, it's not a "gift," it's junk.

I wonder just how different the landscape would be if you couldn't give feedback and you couldn't track your finds on the site. I'd bet a lot of folks would drop out because the numbers associated with their accounts is what makes them feel important. I'd also bet that a vast majority of the junk caches would never have been placed. Of the ones placed, I'd bet most of those wouldn't get hunted because then there would be no reward beyond self satisfaction. Would that be enough to keep you going? Really?

Which camp are you in?

Nope not one spelling error maybe a few grammatical ones but I'll let that pass.

Sorry. Had to. :D

Thanks, now I will delete their post! If they didn't like the cache, they could keep it to themselves....

I really hope you didn't follow through with that.

People are allowed to not like your cache, the logs are for people to discuss their adventure, be it good or bad. Its part of the history of your cache.

In the earlier days of Geocaching, the popular description of one was to take you to an interesting place that you would have otherwise not visited.

Well, about the only time I go to a Wally World is if there is a cache there, We do not have one close to my home, so you could say Wally World is a place I would not normally go to.

You could also say Wally World is interesting because there are so many people working there for very little money with no real health benefits.

I find it amazing how many people get bent out of shape because some places a cache under a light post. So what, get over it and grow up. Like others have said, if someone does not them ignore them, just don’t do any caches that are rated 1X1. There are those that for one reason or another may not be able to do a cache the requires a long hike. I have met geocachers that for one reason or another are limited to only being able to do 1X1s. I found myself in this position last spring and I am now able to do a short hike on easy terrain and there are lots of cache on my list that I just can not do for now.

When I find these easy caches including the ones under light post, I do sign the log TFTC. And I mean it, at least someone has hid one.

As another person stated, Locationless caches are banned, traveling caches are band and virtual are virtually banned.

This is the only activity I have seen that at times seams to be trying to ban itself.

I would rather find a cache under a light post than one in a homless camp guarded by a pit bull or one in a trash pile, both of which are cache locations I have come accross. (I avoided the one with the pit bull)

And yet in my world it's better than behind the chainsaw art bear in front of the store where you are exposed to mass muggles, but I still got to see the huge bear collection walking back there.

Cool things in those old dumps. I happen to like old bottles, and insulators. The only way to find them is to happen across old garbage dumps out in the middle of nowhere. I also like homeless camp caches which tend to be modern garbage dumps.

Not if I have to kick aside the used condoms and duck the bullets from the idiot shooting across the road as I drive by. 528' over might be nicer. Both of these I've encountered in 'scenic' caches.

The point you miss, continue to miss, and won't ever get, is that it's relative. Your standards are your own. They are not shared by me, or anyone else. They can't be. Your view is unique to you. It's not universal. For every location that you call crap is someone who would enjoy the hunt.

If you ever win your cruisade you will have restricted my freedom to place caches as I see fit. That is not acceptable in any way.

Ive found many a cache that i thought was in a crappy area or crappily hidden (lame). I might express a concern in my log if i think there is a safety issue, but i see no reason to criticize someone's cache hide because its not to my liking. On the same note, its pretty easy to tell whether ive enjoyed a particular cache or not. The log will be short and to the point if i think it was lame. But, you will also find that in almost all of my logs, i say "Thank You" or "Thanks for the cache". It doesnt hurt a thing be courteous... :D

We like caches best out in the country with nice hikes...BUT sometimes when we take our 9 year old daughter and her friends they think a 1/1 is really cool. They enjoy the hunt. I just don't know how you can go find a 1/1 cache named wally world then bitch about it. What did you expect??? Why go find caches that you think are too "lame" for your taste. The other people that have found it seemed to appreciate it. If you post a DPM message and that was my cache I would reply GFY. Pardon MY french.

Mike

If you ever win your cruisade you will have restricted my freedom to place caches as I see fit. That is not acceptable in any way.

What you fail to understand is if you don't limit yourself someone else will do it for you. Remember virtuals? Remember code-word caches? It's not that those types of caches are bad, it's was the irresponsible cachers abusing them.

You can see a pattern developing in that folks in some areas seem to only want to place micros in places that are less and less appealing. The only goal is to get it placed with little thought in the placement. When will the backlash happen? I don't know, but when it does it will be as hard to get a micro approved as it is a virt. Apparently, this is what some folks can't see.

What I do understand is junk caches aren't just micros, they aren't even 1/1, they aren't even park-n-grabs. They are the ones with no interest beyond signing the log. They are the ones that serve only to increment a find count. They are the ones that leave one wondering, "just what is the purpose of this?"

They are the ones with no interest beyond signing the log. They are the ones that serve only to increment a find count. They are the ones that leave one wondering, "just what is the purpose of this?"

Im not a big numbers fan but it is an apect of the game the alot of others enjoy. Just because you or I don't enjoy it doesnt mean that we should stop others from enjoying as well.

If you ever win your cruisade you will have restricted my freedom to place caches as I see fit.  That is not acceptable in any way.

What you fail to understand is if you don't limit yourself someone else will do it for you. Remember virtuals? Remember code-word caches? It's not that those types of caches are bad, it's was the irresponsible cachers abusing them.

You can see a pattern developing in that folks in some areas seem to only want to place micros in places that are less and less appealing. The only goal is to get it placed with little thought in the placement. When will the backlash happen? I don't know, but when it does it will be as hard to get a micro approved as it is a virt. Apparently, this is what some folks can't see.

What I do understand is junk caches aren't just micros, they aren't even 1/1, they aren't even park-n-grabs. They are the ones with no interest beyond signing the log. They are the ones that serve only to increment a find count. They are the ones that leave one wondering, "just what is the purpose of this?"

Once again , as I see it that is Entirely YOUR OPINION , and we all know we all have them . Just like ... well nevermind that it was a bit rude ...

If you get your way you will succeed in hurting this sport/game.

Is that your goal ? Add more rules , get different types of caches banned .. Just because YOU as an individual don't like them ?

RK you state things very well , and I am with you !

Star