Pills In Cache!?

Enspyer

I was @ a cache today with pills in it. They were white at one end and various colors at the other. There were like 20. Would anyone really take pills or pill look-alikes from a cache?! And should they be removed or reported in any way? I'm going back near there soon for another cache next week. icon_confused.gif

icon_cool.gif

~Enspyer~

quote:
Originally posted by GatoRx:

Get them out of the cache as quick as you can. And don't just throw them away, flush them. Garbage cans/bags are still accessible to other people and animals, which means there's a chance for poisoning.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

But what about the gators in the sewers? icon_wink.gif

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Enspyer:

I was @ a cache today with pills in it. They were white at one end and various colors at the other. There were like 20. Would anyone really take pills or pill look-alikes from a cache?! And should they be removed or reported in any way? I'm going back near there soon for another cache next week. icon_confused.gif

icon_cool.gif

~Enspyer~

Oh man, those are the GOOD ones... Give you 5 bucks a piece. icon_smile.gif

I consider pills an even bigger no-no than food for putting into a cache. I would remove them. And don't just throw them on the ground behind a tree either. Trouble there is that squirrels tend to pick them up. Next thing you know, you have stoned squirrels that have a tendancy to play with their nuts instead of storing them away for the winter.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:

Get them out of the cache as quick as you can. And don't just throw them away, flush them. Garbage cans/bags are still accessible to other people and animals, which means there's a chance for poisoning.

----

What ever you do, DO NOT FLUSH THESE PILLS.. I just read an article in the paper about the millions of old perscription drugs being flushed down toilets. Think about it!!! These drugs are getting into our water supply slowly but surely. The article states that you should return old perscription drugs to the pharmicist for disposal. Now granted you have no idea what these drugs are and I would be very leary in returning these. I would call the police ( park district or city) either way...

GEOCACHING CHANGED MY LIFE - Laugh everyday. Life's too short. But if you have to get mad then that's OK too.

Get a PDR or go to your local Library and Get a Look if your that interested.

Its amazing how many pills that are out there and even more amazing that some don't know where the flush goes.

If you live near a big city chances are you have water treatment plants so its okay to flush them.

Pee on the person that left them as a trade item in a geocache.

~Radio talks, GPSr's walk the talk.

quote:
The article states that you should return old perscription drugs to the pharmicist for disposal

And what do you think the pharmacist does with them? We (pharmacists) don't throw them out because people root around in the garbage looking for pills (potential lawsuit), so we flush them or dissolve them down the drain.

Call your local poison control if you want to know what the pills are. They have a book that describes each pill for identification purposes in overdosing.

quote:

----

cool sig

God makes geocaching possible!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

And what do you think the pharmacist does with them? We (pharmacists) don't throw them out because people root around in the garbage looking for pills (potential lawsuit), so we flush them or dissolve them down the drain.

Call your local poison control if you want to know what the pills are. They have a book that describes each pill for identification purposes in overdosing.

Exactly. I've flushed or recommended flushing medications many times. I'm more worried about someone ingesting something they shouldn't have than trace concentrations in the sewers.

Here in Florida though, Poison Control won't ID meds - they'll refer you to a Drug Info center. And the DI center won't ID medications that you found somewhere. You're better off flushing them.

Thanks fly-tier. Its always seemed geo-appropriate to me. icon_smile.gif

----

Drugs are baaad, mkay? I definately agree with removing any harmful substances from cache's too. I'd also be careful about handling any pills you find with your bare hands. You'd be surprised the amounts of drugs out there that can get into your system via physical contact or permeation through the skin alone. God forbid someone would put LSD blotter paper into a cache and some unwitting kid handling it not knowing what it was. My advice, pack a pair of latex gloves with you and don't let your kids examine the contents of a cache first if you are geocaching with them.

There is a website where you can enter the description of the pill, and they can id the pill for you. http://www.drugs.com/xq/cfm/pageID_1151/pid_1/qx/index.htm

I used it when I found a prescription bottle of something in my daughter's bedroom with the label peeled off, and couldn't remember what she might be taking. Turned out, it was her Allegra! I forgot about it, and didn't know what it looked like. Oh, well.... better to know what it was!

Malia

There is no safe to dispose of the pills so you should just ingest them. Ingest them all... Let your liver sort out what's good and what's bad...

Then at least you know you are not introducing something dangerous into the environment. Its the only way to be sure...

The above was a JOKE and if you take it seriously and hurt yourself, I don't wanna hear about it!

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Enspyer:

I thought the Rush Limbaugh Cache had been archived. icon_wink.gif

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by cutsandbruises:

Here is a copy a link that will explain why drugs should not be flushed. Wether you agree with it or not is your choice.

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,56913,00.html

Wired is one of the worst magazines I've ever seen when it comes to science reporting.

Look at the second sentence of the article: "At least one researcher suspects that they do not, and that serotonin and other drugs commonly disposed of through sewage systems might be harmful to aquatic life and even humans."

You can find "at least one researcher" who will "suspect" anything.

What's worse is that the article says: "When people flush expired drugs or excrete them, chemicals enter sewage systems"...excuse me? I can't even go to the bathroom anymore?

"Wired" is a waste of money.

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

Wired is one of the worst magazines I've ever seen when it comes to science reporting.

Look at the second sentence of the article: "At least one researcher suspects that they do not, and that serotonin and other drugs commonly disposed of through sewage systems might be harmful to aquatic life and even humans."

You can find "at least one researcher" who will "suspect" anything.

What's worse is that the article says: "When people flush expired drugs or excrete them, chemicals enter sewage systems"...excuse me? I can't even go to the bathroom anymore?

"Wired" is a waste of money.

George

I had to go the link to check that second sentence for myself. Someone who would write such thing did not do their research. I don't know of any antidepressants that contain serotonin; and if I remember correctly, the serotonin molecule is quickly degraded in the stomach. Such wonderful 'scientific' writing...

----

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

Exactly. Not everyone wants to brush with rat poison.

Actually that would be Coumadin (warfarin)

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors are a class of antidepressant. Think Prozac. I guess that's what he meant by fish getting a boost of serotonin.

Bad science.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Sorry for opening a big can of worms. Just thought you people would get a kick out of the article.

As for Crest containing sodium flouride, thats true I just checked my tube of it upstairs. It contains exactly 0.243% sodium flouride. Sure thats gonna kill us all for sure....

Hey I just got a great idea!!! Small tubes of toothpaste in caches as trade items.

GEOCACHING CHANGED MY LIFE - Laugh everyday. Life's too short. But if you have to get mad then that's OK too.

quote:
Originally posted by cutsandbruises:

Sorry for opening a big can of worms. Just thought you people would get a kick out of the article.

No problem. I'd imagine that Tsegi Mike would agree when I say that pharmacists like to try to keep medication-related information as truthful as possible, or at least put it all in perspective.

----

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

quote:
The article states that you should return old perscription drugs to the pharmicist for disposal

Here in the UK a pharmasist has to put them all in a container, called a DOOP bucket if I remember correctly, which is collected every week for disposal. They have a similar bucket for used syringes which is collected at the same time.

Definately not flushed down the toilet here.

Sarah

--

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

There is no safe to dispose of the pills so you should just ingest them. Ingest them all... Let your liver sort out what's good and what's bad...

Then at least you know you are not introducing something dangerous into the environment. Its the only way to be sure...

The above was a JOKE and if you take it seriously and hurt yourself, I don't wanna hear about it!

Free your mind and the rest will follow http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/30296_400.gif

This is NOT a good way to dispose of pills! Speaking from experience here, I tried this method in the late 70's and I thought I was the son of Batman and Mary Poppins for almost a year! Very bad, very, very bad!

Here in the UK a pharmasist has to put them all in a container, called a DOOP bucket if I remember correctly, which is collected every week for disposal. They have a similar bucket for used syringes which is collected at the same time.

Definately not flushed down the toilet here.

Sarah

--

Thank You Sarah... I'm glad to see Canada is a more responsible nation than the USA when it comes to used drugs.

Since I'm new to caching I have yet to find drugs in a cache. If I do I will wrap them up and send them to a Canadian pharmicist. But that opens another cache of worms. Can I legally mail drugs of unknown origin or use across the border.

Somehow I think the original post of this thread was started as a joke, and now look at it. It has turned into serious problem for some of us and and another joke for others.

I guess I just have to take the good medicine with the bad.