Rubbermaid And Paint

WeightMan

Has anyone tried to camo paint one of the Rubbermaid blue top boxes? We are putting together some caches for a special meeting and would like to camo them if possible. I did a search of the forum for Rubbermaid paint and found nothing in the 30 days and older time period. Any help would be appreciated. We are trying to introduce geocaching to attendees at a computers in education conference coming up next month.

Has anyone tried to camo paint one of the Rubbermaid blue top boxes?

Yes, I've got one that's been in the field for five months.

I used Fusion black and matte brown in a leaf pattern (by spritzing over a leaf). It looked fantastic at first, but it hasn't held up to the cold weather. It's flaking to the touch, big time. I'm going to try a sand and repaint in the Spring (I didn't sand before, just washed it down with ammonia).

It's held up really well otherwise, though. Tight and waterproof.

The paint on the lid will chip off first. The lid flexes too much during opening and closing for the paint to stick well, even after sanding and using the Kylon Fusion. The clear part will hold the paint just fine. Camo tape on the lid is a good idea.

Edited by Stunod
Camo tape will work but get a tap that does not have a glossy finish if you can, I have found caches in which glossy camo tape was used and the reflection off the tape made the cache easy to spot.

Cloth camo tape is great for this. I give it a coat with a spray sealer and that seems to help it weather the weather better. Cloth tape is a bit on the expensive side though. A small roll is about $5.

Also the duct tape in mossy oak camo is pretty good. No need to add a sealer to duct tape and its cheaper than cloth tape.