Heading To San Fran

kage tsuki

This is my first post on this forum because I am fairly new to the geocaching world. But after my first 50 finds I am obsessed!!! I have two friends coming from Portland OR and I wanted to introduce them to the wonders of geocaching in San Francisco. I hear there are some amazing caches in the area. Any suggestions?

This is my first post on this forum because I am fairly new to the geocaching world. But after my first 50 finds I am obsessed!!! I have two friends coming from Portland OR and I wanted to introduce them to the wonders of geocaching in San Francisco. I hear there are some amazing caches in the area. Any suggestions?

Probably get better recs in the California forum.

Depends on if you have a car when you're there....

If no, the choices are pretty simple. Anything you can walk to.

If yes, then here's my short list.

The first five are a great combo

Backbend

The Great Lobos

Lincoln Park

The Gate Promenade

Sounds of the Bay

-- Lincoln park is my all-time favorite.

Randall Junior Museum

Nanny Goat Hill (cache is hard to find though)

How Succulent (if you like plants & gardens)

Columba

I personally enjoy the logs I receive for Union Square.

These are ones I would suggest making explicit trips to go visit. There are plenty of other worthwhile caches, but I would advise just picking up ones in areas you already intend to be visiting.

Edited by WalruZ

Rather than mention caches, I'll offer a route strategy. YMMV, depending upon your interests.

Park early for free at Marina Green; there's a wonderful view of the Golden Gate and Alcatraz from there. BTW, drive to Sounds either before this or at the end of the day. Walk to YABA at the garden in Fort Mason, find the back stairs down to Hilaire if the museum is open, do Laughing Sal and any close, catch either the Mason or the Hyde cable car mid-morning before the wait gets too long.

Do Union Square (it's not where you'd first guess). Grab a Market Street old fashion F trolley when you can; if they're full hop on a regular bus. Get on and off along the Embarcadero where you care to; you can easily walk the distance from the Ferry Bldg to Fisherman's Wharf. Grab some sourdough and dungeness. Walk or cab back to Marina Green. Do Sounds of the Bay if you didn't earlier.

Enjoy the City by the Bay.