Wild Animal Pics

mufasa1023

I looked but could not find a topic concerned with pics taken of wild animals (not pets) that we were lucky enough to have our cameras at ready to take. I for one have seen deer, hawks, Heron, turtles, turkeys, and various other small animals but mostly did not get a good picture. I'd like to see some real pic's of our 'other' geocaching partners. I include also those tripped sensor pictures from cameras left in the woods. As for my contrib:

9be727c2-d1b8-4a1d-87c2-cbfdd8f6ec7f.jpg

bb884222-04d2-4264-a79c-f3fabd0fa6f1.jpg

Okay how do you post a picture in a thread???? sorry I am so inept to ask this.

cheers

You ain't the only one thats stumped on getting a pic in here.

What spins me out is all the tall trees in the pics, there isn't many tall trees around here and they curtainly aren't that green, you could say I'm 'pining' for some nice forested areas again. :surprise:

We've made a bunch of attempts, but the critters always seem to run away before we get a clear shot. Here are two that were obliging enough to pose for pictures (both on the same day, on the way to the Ramblin River cache):

Butterfly in irises:

c9cd9da6-d2e5-421e-9d77-339b934669ca.jpg

Snake sunning itself on the remnants of an old mill building:

33628479-4ad8-4d90-9951-8ab4efe9e79a.jpg

And here's a not-all-that-great pic of a deer we saw at Return to Sender:

c1d4c72b-efcd-4bc7-af06-13798ae0289d.jpg

Actually, this picture that we took at that same cache is much more interesting to me, partly because I have no idea what it is. It's plant, not animal, but it looks like an alien creature with weird magenta eyeball-stalks:

543e466c-acc6-4731-b1a7-9bba63665759.jpg

My little cache-pals make so much noise on the trail that I rarely see anything more wild than cows. They talk about looking for deer and mountain lions, but those smart critters are long gone before we get close.

One time however, we were searching for a cache in some scrub. As we widened he radius, my younger son (8 at the time) ducked into a big shrubbery. Moments later he ran out yelling "Wild Animal, Wild Animal! I carefully poked into the bush with my stick to find a rabbit curled-up in some grass. Using my best Monty-Python voice, I told everyone else. "It's not a wild animal, it's a little bunny." It went downhill from there "It's a vicious beast..."

Actually, this picture that we took at that same cache is much more interesting to me, partly because I have no idea what it is.  It's plant, not animal, but it looks like an alien creature with weird magenta eyeball-stalks:

543e466c-acc6-4731-b1a7-9bba63665759.jpg

It's baneberry, also known as "Doll's eyes," one of the few poisonous berries which grow up here in Alaska, so we've taught the junior ladybugs to recognize it and stay away.

Here's a link with a little more information: Baneberry

and here's a link with a photo much like yours: Baneberry Photo.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
At the Chepiwanoxet Cache in Rhode Island, I found this rabbit, and another brown rabbit, wandering near the parking area to the cache. They wouldn't approach me, but they weren't intimidated by me, either.

that is the oddest looking coat i have ever seen on a bunny....the ones i see in MI are either solid or brownish....it looks like someone tried to spray paint it like a tiger...

That'd be because it's a domesticated rabbit - probably a pet that someone lost, or let out because they got sick of having a bunny....

It's baneberry, also known as "Doll's eyes," one of the few poisonous berries which grow up here in Alaska, so we've taught the junior ladybugs to recognize it and stay away.

Here's a link with a little more information: Baneberry 

and here's a link with a photo much like yours:  Baneberry Photo.

Thanks for the link, Ladybugs! Interestingly, that link also showed another type of baneberry (with bright red berries) -- we had taken a picture of that same kind at the same cache where we found the Doll's eyes one, and had posted both pictures in the same cache log, asking if anyone knew what either of them was. Now we know!

Poisonous, not surprising... as I was crouching down on the ground inches away from it to get the picture, I kept envisioning the Star Trek episode where alien plants shoot evil spores in the faces of people who get too close. Click, click, run away...

(I like this line from one of your links: 'To me, eyeballs on a stalk say "crab".' Maybe that explains why I found it so intriguing!)

that is the oddest looking coat i have ever seen on a bunny....the ones i see in MI are either solid or brownish....it looks like someone tried to spray paint it like a tiger...

That'd be because it's a domesticated rabbit - probably a pet that someone lost, or let out because they got sick of having a bunny....

Yes, I believe this one was a domesticated rabbit released into the wild. Still, it is an odd coloring. The other rabbit which was nearby was brown and looked more like the wild rabbits I see all over New England. Do domesticated rabbits mingle with wild rabbits if they have the opportunity? B)

Poisonous, not surprising... as I was crouching down on the ground inches away from it to get the picture, I kept envisioning the Star Trek episode where alien plants shoot evil spores in the faces of people who get too close.  Click, click, run away...

(I like this line from one of your links: 'To me, eyeballs on a stalk say "crab".'  Maybe that explains why I found it so intriguing!)

Once we told the junior ladybugs (both girls under 5) the alternate "Doll's eyes" name, they had no problem staying away from the berries B).

There were several information sites about baneberry, but I thought you'd like to reference to crab eyes B).

Note to self for list of why I geocache: I learn botany and get up close to alien plants.

Yes, I believe this one was a domesticated rabbit released into the wild. Still, it is an odd coloring. The other rabbit which was nearby was brown and looked more like the wild rabbits I see all over New England. Do domesticated rabbits mingle with wild rabbits if they have the opportunity?  <_<

It does look like a domestic rabbit. The color/pattern is called Harlequin Magpie.

I wouldn't be surprised if they mix with wild rabbits... I know of at least two places near my neighborhood with a bunch of domestic-type rabbits living in the 'wild' (wild in quotations because one is next to a parking lot, the other outside a high school!) A friend of mine caught an albino rabbit near the parking lot which was obviously NOT a wild breed, and I know people who have seen black and white patched and other colors of rabbits near the high school.

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew

723987b8-2f6b-4ee5-8f74-7a58865cdf55.jpg

CAN YOU IDENTIFY??

?? 2 crane-type birds. Either American Bittern or Great blue Heron. I do not know.

Yesterday my mini-van came to a screetching hault as I saw these 2 magnificant birds over the Housatonic River, CT. Further up, I stopped again with hopes to get a closer view of a BALD EAGLE~he flew up & away~still a moving sight. I only had my digital (4.0 mx); if I had my 35, I would have had a much better shot.

;) Leslie

I looked but could not find a topic concerned with pics taken of wild animals (not pets) that we were lucky enough to have our cameras at ready to take.  I for one have seen deer, hawks, Heron, turtles, turkeys, and various other small animals but mostly did not get a good picture.  I'd like to see some real pic's of our 'other' geocaching partners.  I include also those tripped sensor pictures from cameras left in the woods.  As for my contrib:

Does this count??

e95f369b-735e-4cc1-9c33-7824409af00e.jpg

Edited by wonswm

Here are a few that we have encountered while out caching!

New born fawn at Debt Ratio cache.

cd01423d-7c15-4e64-bd64-d51935ecf4c3.jpg

Coral snake at Livingston Island cache.

f5815155-5b41-4bce-adeb-3c67546bcb4d.jpg

Armadillo while looking for Clayjar's Loch Lock Locker cache.

403267_200.jpg

This average sized 6 footer watched me put out a cache about 20 feet away yesterday.

1c65a90c-a3e7-475e-a34c-e406928eec2c.jpg

Found this Hawk nest while scoping out a potential hide area.

Kept hearing the "squeee squeee" call and looked up just in time to see it fly into the nest.

I waited a while to see if it would come back out, so I could grab a pic, but it never did.

So, I just snapped the nest.

You can't really tell here but the nest was about 3ft across.

D-man :ph34r:

DSCN1921.jpg

When I find wildlife, it is usually dead. I found this delightful scene yesterday. It is the carcasses of 4-5 deer blown ashore at a pond where the ice has recently melted.

d45fc972-7ec8-47dd-b2d6-30f3e8d9f0b2.jpg

Here is a dead mink, found near another cache last winter.

ecdea6b0-8f57-4903-b640-3131db52cc1b.jpg

Edited by reveritt

Yeah, we find a lot of dead things too. After the fires here in Southern California we found this poor Bobcat who we think was overtaken by the fires.

CACHE11.jpg

The live things are usually too fast for me to grab my camera and snap.

Ohgr

Yeah, we find a lot of dead things too. After the fires here in Southern California we found this poor Bobcat who we think was overtaken by the fires.

CACHE11.jpg

The live things are usually too fast for me to grab my camera and snap.

Ohgr

I think I have a recipe just for this one.