Skipsp Picking On Myself And My Friends

Voncachstein

for some reason the note i posted won't show up for me. I put :

Skipsp, I didn't think you had this in you. You seemed like a nice guy, someone that wouldn't pick a fight with kids half your age. I wasn't even insulting to you, you know this could have been a better hide. Also, i spell concur, "concurr" to add emphasis and make it like it is said in the movie "The Matrix." If you want to pick at our spelling, at least spell "The Feild where Christy played" correctly. I'm just in high school yet, but I'm not going to let an oversized bully pick on me and my friends. If you want to make fun of us, do it somewhere besides this website. This is a family sport and I'm sure you don't want people making fun of Taryn and Lauryn, the "best daughters in the world" on here. I pass your TBs along, and I don't make it personal, like you have. You even said in your first log, "I think I found a nice hobby for the family." As to what Nashbash posted, someone on the street could definately find that cache and its true. Gcas wasn't advertising my cache either. He was saying that if people are sick of lamp post micros (which this cache is), then you should try a micro that doesn't stink such as "All Micros Don't Stink" or "Electric City Overlook." Since you think its fun to post our misspellings, here are some that you have posted:

1st National Cache of Wyoming County - "Suquehanna River"

Taztoken #2 - "emergency ponco"

Little Rock "E" - "The feild where Christy Played" (picture)

There would be more, but your average post is either 2 sentences or 10 words, whatever you reach first. I think you should apologize to us, or if you want, we will be the bigger men and stop it, even though we didn't start the name calling.

A couple of observations:

1. It's pretty important to stay on good terms with people in your local caching community. The game isn't very fun if you spend your energy arguing instead of finding and hiding caches.

2. Cache pages are best used for "found it" logs, DNF logs, and owner notes. E-mail works just fine for dialogues unrelated to finding a cache.

3. Starting a forum thread about a local conflict between geocachers rarely does very much to resolve the situation.

I think everyone is being petty and rude in the cache logs.

Why be rude?? "Could have done better"?? What's up with that?!? Just post a find and leave it be for crying out loud!

The forums and the cache logs are not the place to air your complaints about each other...take it offline.

Ed

*I* found the cache enjoyable, not because I like looking for micros but because I learned about a local hero that I never knew about.

Good job skipsp, I liked it and I'm sure other cachers in Northeastern Pennsylvania will enjoy learning about this forgotten hero.

- EagleSpirit/JD

Edited by eaglespirit0

JD, if you weren't the FTF you would have said it was lame as well. How about you try being unbiased. Also, you don't need to insult me on the forums, you can use the phone or meet me in person.

Edited out the flaming since he already did in his post.

Edited by Voncachstein
JD, your a such an idiot. If you weren't the FTF you would have said it was lame as well. How about you try being unbiased. Also, you don't need to insult me on the forums, you can use the phone or meet me in person. So how about you grow up and get a life.

Oh, boy. Where's the ouchie stick?

From the Forum Guidelines linked at the top left corner of the page:

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

JD, your a such an idiot. If you weren't the FTF you would have said it was lame as well. How about you try being unbiased. Also, you don't need to insult me on the forums, you can use the phone or meet me in person. So how about you grow up and get a life.

reported

My friends and i did a lamppost micro in Scranton the other day, and the author didn't like our constructive criticism. So he posted a note making fun of each of us. Go read all about it at - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4e-e946decc639f - or waypoint GCMW3E .

I posted a reply note. Guys like this shouldn't be allowed to make anymore caches.

That's because it wasn't constructive criticism it was an editorial.

I've found a cache in a playground that I personally thought shouldn't exist. The problem was that others enjoyed it. So I guess one person's viewpoint doesn't speak for everyone.

Here's my two log on that cache

November 17, 2004 by BlueDeuce (138 found)

Pretty difficult to be discrete on this one. Could just barely reach the container and couldn't reach in far enough to cover it back up. Perhaps the owner would like to cover it better. I recommend waiting until the kids are in school before attempting this cache.

November 15, 2004 by BlueDeuce (138 found)

Kind of a muggle visible area. I sneaked out from work to find this one, but the guy sitting in the parking lot smoking a joint was watching me pretty closely so it wasn't a good time for a retrieval.

As you can see I stuck to the facts, and at no time did I insult the hider.

If cache meets all guidelines I think you should keep your opinions to yourself. If you didn't like it, stating in the forums that the hider shouldn't be allowed to place more caches really isn't constructive or helpful.

Edited by BlueDeuce
My friends and i did a lamppost micro in Scranton the other day, and the author didn't like our constructive criticism. So he posted a note making fun of each of us. Go read all about it at - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4e-e946decc639f - or waypoint GCMW3E .

I posted a reply note. Guys like this shouldn't be allowed to make anymore caches.

As you can see I stuck to the facts, and at no time did I insult the hider.

If cache meets all guidelines I think you should keep your opinions to yourself. If you didn't like it, stating in the forums that the hider shouldn't be allowed to place more caches really isn't constructive or helpful.

Brave Blue Deuce, bravo

The log as it is now written (was it changed?) wasn't that bad. I've seen far worse criticism out there. Sure it could have been worded more tactfully, but if the owner took exception to that log, he has pretty thin skin and probably should consider leaving the cache hiding to others.

The rest of the stuff must have been deleted, becuause there is nothing to see.

I'm with Keystone on this. Its a good idea to play nice with the locals. Things could get ugly and I've seen petty arguments like this turn into log deletion wars and even cache theft. Have fun finding and hiding caches and don't start any wars. Be critical in your log if necessary, but be constructive, not mean. (I'm not saying you were mean).

Edited by briansnat

Restraint in all things people.

I admit I might take action if someone posted something disparaging about me on a cache page. However I would not use the forums to correct the situation. Email a moderator and ask them to correct the situation, I am sure it will happen. Despite the rumors that Moderators and Approvers have no human blood running through their veins I am sure this is not true.

As far as forums are concerned, ignore a problem and it will go away, dropping off the bottom of the page. Readers will recognize who the unreasonable party in a posting war is. Unless of course, both posters are dopes.

And off topic. We need a spell check feature on the forums.

The reason i posted this in the first place is because my friends and i did no harm and got flamed AT. His post so you know was this:

Hey gcas2006, great way to advertise your buddy's cache, put it in the comments of another cache. You came up with that yourself and you are only a Juior in High School. I don't know what a Juior is, but that is what you have on your profile page. I looked at your profile page, and I think it could have been done much better. Wouldn't you concur Voncachstein? For you NashBaSh88 I made it easy. You forget, I've seen you and Voncashstein out there geocaching. Easy is better.

He deleted it after he found out that I can take action. I just wanted everyone aware that there are mean people out there even though 99.9 percent are nice. And the reason i flamed eaglespirit (which i shouldn't have) is because he flamed me first AND HE DELETED IT ALREADY. Now he got me riled up and deleted what he said so that you think im just making fun of him. Eaglespirit had said "Go get a diaper and baba cachstein" and stuff along those lines. I don't feel i crossed the line first and although what i said was wrong, he did so as well and should be reported. I don't know why everyone thinks im a bad guy now, this all started with me defending my friends from a middle-aged bully.

Cache postings are really no different than the forums, they just aren't monitored so closely.

If someone does things like namecalling. etc, it should be reported to an approver or even a forum moderator.

You don't need community backing, gc.com will help you out.

Have fun.

I think, Voncachestein, that you may be underestimating the impact of your comments.

Indulge me for a few stereotypes. Teens act out (ie extreme dress, skateboarding in public areas, blaring stereos) and many people just shake their heads and write it off as kids stuff. Teens often aren't taken seriously, so they sometimes say things in abrasive and uncouth ways because 1--they want to be heard over the indifference or 2--who cares, nobody's listening anyway.

A big difference here is that age doesn't matter. You're a cacher. Period. What you say has just as much weight the comments of the next cacher. In short, the fee pass of youthful indulgence just doesn't fly here. There are norms that apply regardless. One is that cache logs are not used to criticize a cache. When you say "it could be better", it's not some reckless teen making an illadvised comment that should just be ignored. It's a cacher violating the unwritten rules of the game.

Of course, the reciprocation of the cache owner wasn't too hot either. For what it's worth, email and other non-cache-log methods of communication would be more appropriate methods for communicating your feelings about the cache. Having a cacher state in a public setting (the cache page) that all the effort of another cacher is lame is not easy to take.

Just my .02 . I hope this doesn't come across as preachy as it looks.

And off topic. We need a spell check feature on the forums.

I still maintain that caching is a family sport.

<off topic>

The Shortcomings of Spellcheck

I would like to apply fore a job as an editor of your paper. I halve a computer, and it has spellcheck, and it wood seam that this is awl I really knead.

I had originally intended too dew this last weak, but then I happened to reed my horoscope in The Times, and it said: "Put on the reigns before you lose control of everything. Of coarse, once I red this, I gnu it wood be better to weight four a more auspicious thyme.

Aye thought at first that maybe I should caul, but then I decided it mite be better to right. I truly believe that I would be a grate editor--know matter watt--rein or shine. Eye wood make accuracy inn spelling the mane ingredient of my editorial rain. Just to prove my hart is in the rite place, I maid sure this letter was perfect--I ran it threw Spellcheck.

I really due wont this job, and I no I could bee a reel asset, butt if yew don't higher mi, I won't whale.

:)

Gotta add, I'm not addressing all the subsequent exchange that went on after the opening salvo. I don't know enough about it to make any comments. I am not taking sides on this since I don't know enough about either side to even begin to make an informed decision.

Is that politically evasive enough?

And this is slightly off topic, but I have to add it. I want to thank the moderators for allowing this topic to run. Some of the dialog has been productive and informative. I'm sure it was a bit of a delicate decision.

edit: dialogue

Edited by Toron
The log as it is now written (was it changed?) wasn't that bad. I've seen far worse criticism out there. Sure it could have been worded more tactfully, but if the owner took exception to that log, he has pretty thin skin and probably should consider leaving the cache hiding to others.

The rest of the stuff must have been deleted, becuause there is nothing to see.

I'm with Keystone on this. Its a good idea to play nice with the locals. Things could get ugly and I've seen petty arguments like this turn into log deletion wars and even cache theft. Have fun finding and hiding caches and don't start any wars. Be critical in your log if necessary, but be constructive, not mean. (I'm not saying you were mean).

Apparently, the cache owner has exercised his right to delete logs, and removed Voncachestein's note log which has been quoted in this thread. He also deleted his own note. The "found it" logs from the three young gentlemen remain on the cache page.

I did not see anything actionable in either of the deleted logs. Please only contact the website or a site volunteer if there's something that violates the terms of service. We're not the log police; the cache owner moderates their own page. It looks like that happened here, and perhaps the cache page as it now stands is an appropriate resolution of this issue.