Converting Tracks To Routes

Erskine

Does your GPS have this function built in? In mine, I simply bring up the menu, select tracks, choose whichever track I'm interested in (e.g., the current track, but any saved track will do), click on it....which brings up another menu. One of the selections is "Save to route". Click on that, give it a name, and voila! Done.

Most tracks have too many points to make a good route. Also, many tracks points could be far off especially if your tracking under foliage and losing the sats.

One way of doing it display the track in Mapsourse on your PC. Then just create a route using the route tool. Don't over do the quantity. Click at the key turns.

Another way is with National Geographic Topo which has a feature that lets you creat the route automaticcally. You set how many route points you want ( ie. 10, 50 30, etc.) and it will automatically select the route poitns and the key turns, or evenly space, etc.

I'm sure they're other ways out there too.

Thanks for all of your answers. Sounds like the safest way is to stay within City Select and redraw using the route tool. This way I'll get the turn by turn road names when exporting into my 60CS. You would think there would be an easier way. I noted the earlier post re the option within the GPS firmware. Will check into this... but the other comments about trackes consisting of too many waypoints seems correct... Over a 75 mile motorcycle trip, there must be well over 300 waypoints or "points" on the track. That kind of route reporting would be annoying!!

Yes I'm aware of that, but my fear in reducing the points, it will be less exact in interpretation, for example, quick turns onto short roads won't show up, but will just be direction changes. Would work for my hiking and moutaineering, but not for motorcycling, especially on twisty windy tracks.

But you're right, in slower moving modes (hiking), when turns onto different road names is not important, that's a good tip.

Thanks for all of your answers. Sounds like the safest way is to stay within City Select and redraw using the route tool. This way I'll get the turn by turn road names when exporting into my 60CS.

Why would you want to create a route on a road trip from a past track. That seems like something to do on the trail. Wouldn't it be easier to just use auto-routing?