Muggles

I don't normally rant much but this one has bugged me for some time now.

The use of the non-word "MUGGLE" with respect to the general population that doesn't Geocache is lacking creativity

As Geocachers we place caches and come up with really creative ideas for our hobby.

So why are we blatantly ripping off an expression from "Harry Potter" to describe people that are not Geocachers?

I think we can do better than this, and come up with our own name for these people.

Any suggestions, remarks, snipes are welcome.

<_< The Blue Quasar

Awhile ago I came up with the name CLAMS. Cache iLlliterate And unaware Members of Society. I thought it was good, but it never caught on. The term "muggles" is already too firmly entrenched..

Someone else came up with the term Auslander, which is German for outsider (literally out lander). I thought that was pretty good, but it doesn't work when you say your cache has been "Auslandered". I guess if you use CLAMS, you can say your cache was "raked".

Someone else came up with Chainik which I like a lot, but I just can't see that one "caching on".

Edited by briansnat
Well now...first you actually have to propose a new word, then get it to catch on to the point it replaces muggle.

I haven't seen anything better come along. I have seen it suggested and the guy even came up with a word and then dissapeared.

Not to mention...not many months ago, this was one of the most heated topics on here........ <_<

While I am well aware of MOPAR's feelings on poor searching.... I entered "MUGGLE" and selected 180 days or newer as the "Search Titles Only" and got no specific hits other than topics like 'how to deal wtih muggles' and similar.

I agree that "Muggle" is the accepted term, I was merely making a statement. I usually agree that 'if you are bringing a problem to the table, bring a solution too' is best but figuring that it might be presumptuous to actually say "Here is my neat name to replace Muggle" I decided to see what others came up with. I have no interest in forcing my choices on others.

I also agree that the term is too-accepted now to be replaced. I think it's sad that some pop-culture expression was usurped and people are trying to make it part of the accepted language.

I made the effort to not repeat a current thread, and what I really needed was a smart-a** reply about MOPAR (and not even from MOPAR I might add, nice to see some people looking forward to his reply. Would I refer to you as CRABBE or GOYLE? Not implying that MOPAR would be MALFOY, just that those giggling about what he will say resemble them!)

I made the effort to not repeat a current thread, and what I really needed was a smart-a** reply about MOPAR (and not even from MOPAR I might add, nice to see some people looking forward to his reply. Would I refer to you as CRABBE or GOYLE? Not implying that MOPAR would be MALFOY, just that those giggling about what he will say resemble them!)

:lol: The Blue Quasar

Hey.....you asked for it...... <_<

How many times have you put on a Curad and not called it a Bandaid? Or reached for a Puffs instead of a Kleenex? After a while, the most popular, best-selling, and/or most widely-used name tends to become synonomous with a product or action, similar to how "googled" can be unofficially defined by having used a search engine.

But hey.... gave a few of you "Geo-Snipers" out there something to comment on!

I particularly liked the link to a thread that was closed 9 months ago.

Good luck in politics!

In fairness, thanks to those few that cut me some slack and actually added some intellectual content.

Some people have class! Some are lame in expressing their dissatistfaction, so if it bored you... keep it to yourself or actually provide feedback that is less juvenile than an 'involuntary lack of oxygen response'

Must be tough dealing with mortals!

<_< The Blue Quasar

I don't normally rant much but this one has bugged me for some time now.

The use of the non-word "MUGGLE" with respect to the general population that doesn't Geocache is lacking creativity

As Geocachers we place caches and come up with really creative ideas for our hobby.

So why are we blatantly ripping off an expression from "Harry Potter" to describe people that are not Geocachers?

I think we can do better than this, and come up with our own name for these people.

<_< The Blue Quasar

according to an oxford english dictionary i purchased in 1978, way before harry potter. a muggle is an alleged kentish word for tail. "muggling" is a tailed man. doesn't look like a non-word to me.

But hey.... gave a few of you "Geo-Snipers" out there something to comment on!

I particularly liked the link to a thread that was closed 9 months ago.

Good luck in politics!

In fairness, thanks to those few that cut me some slack and actually added some intellectual content.

Some people have class!  Some are lame in expressing their dissatistfaction, so if it bored you... keep it to yourself or actually provide feedback that is less juvenile than an 'involuntary lack of oxygen response'

Must be tough dealing with mortals!

<_<  The Blue Quasar

Wow......I must say your posting style seems really familiar......

once again.....you asked for it....now you are asking for slack.....

The Blue Quasar

Edited by woof n lulu

Thanks for the info about the origin of "Muggle".

As it appears, I am not good at searching forums and/or Google. I also tried www.dictionary.com to no avail.

I am going to close the thread, I didn't mean to stir up people. I was just commenting.

I guess in a way I did ask for it, but where I come from "Snipes" are when someone makes a mistake, the mistake is pointed out and corrected without being offensive.

My mistake.

As for my style of posting seeming familiar, I have been posting outside of the Canada forum for only about a month, so that too might explain why I didn't know about the topic being very over-done. I think you might be asking if I am some other cacher using a different account or maybe a sock puppet. I could try to tell you that I'm not, but it wouldn't make any difference. I am who I am, and this is all that I am.

Thanks for a fun last 30 minutes or so. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

<_< The Blue Quasar