Lowrance Ifinder Hunt

triangleman29

Lowrance really was the original GPS maker, but then, when GPS started becoming really popular, they didn't invest enough into the whole thing, and so they lost alot of business to Garmin and Magellan, who quickly acceled to the top, leaving Lowrance way back.

Quite frankly, I don't own one, but I used one once as a loner, and I didn't have any problems with it...

I had a plain Lowrance iFinder until it broke. It lasted a little over a year (all geocaching stressed included). I dropped on the floor and the display system busted.

Anyway, the display is much bigger than my new Garmin Legend's. There is an easy menu and an advanced menu. I find the advanced one was best for geocaching. There aren't as many fancy graphics but it works very well for finding caches.

I did alot of reasearch before I got the gps I really wanted one I can check the altitude and all that stuff because I do alot of hunting and hiking up in the mountains here in Colorado. I also thought about getting into geocatching. I was stuck betwwen the Lowrance ifinder hunt and the garmin etrek vista.

I hope some ifinder hunt owners will reply also and tell me there thoughts

I have an Ifinder H20 and from what I can tell it differs from the Hunt version in the icons you can place on the screen and I believe the Hunt has a barometer. I think the Hunt version will function similar to my H20. I have had the H20 since October and I love it. I have used Lowrance/Eagle products since the mid 1980s and whenever I have had problems, Lowrance solved them right away. I received Mapcreate 6.3 Topo for Christmas and had to upgrade the firmware that came with the cardreader. After that... no problems. No doubt about it... Garmins and Magellans are more popular than Lowrance, in fact when a friend asks me for a recommendation I suggest Garmin simply because it will be easier for them to get help in places like Geocaching.com.

If you have any specific questions, email me.

Roy

I've got the iFinder Pro, which I think is quite similar except the Hunt has the additional compass & altimeter. The Pro has been a great unit & I wouldn't hesitate recommending it or one of the other models.

It's pretty easy to get started with it, as there is an "easy/advanced" mode switch. Keep it in easy mode to get started & you'll be out the door using it the first day. Switch to advanced mode once you're comfortable with it :)