Wanted: Gps For Family

octavia

Hi all.

We are VERY new to geocaching, as a matter of fact, we have never done it! :lol: (yet!)

I have read all the faq and recommendations on purchasing a starter unit, we have around 100 dollars to spend, and here is my problem. My husband. <_<

The more research we do, the more my husband wants a gps with some more features. It only makes sense he says. I know he is right, but we still only have around 100 bucks. So, I thought I'd see if anyone was upgrading and had a used one for sale? We would like to geocache as a family and I'm going nuts to get one so we can go!! I've been lurking on the boards here for a couple of weeks and its killing me!!! LOL

desperate to cache in Oregon,

Octavia

your husband is right you will want to upgrade if you get the basic gps now.

for the money you have right now you can get a garmin etrex yellow. it's a very easy to use very easy to understand and you will master it in one day and love it.

your husband should know that if you do get a better gps now the next step up would be the etrex legend it's blue and will cost you around $150 but here is the catch you still have to buy maps if you want to do what it was made for.

i say it's not worth buying street detail for the legend because you cant auto route with it.

but it's worth it if your going to just use topo then you don't need auto routing.

if you would like turn by turn directions with your gps both of the above units will not work. you would need minimum garmin's new legend c or what I like better is the gpsmap 60c or cs that will cost about $350 to $400 not including street detail mapping or topo mapping so it can cost allot to get into this but if all you want is geocaching then the yellow will work if you want mapping and want trail maps on your gps but not turn by turn directions get the garmin etrex legend or I think they have a new one called gpsmap 60

has biger screen the the etrex famley check the internet for prices i have bought from gpsnow.com and i here getfeetwet.com is good gpscity.com is good

good luck

Jason

Boys and there toys, LOL. Okay I ama a man and I got a midrange GPSr, a garmin gpsmap 76. Now I wish I had spent less then i would not fell guility when I wanted a differant GPS toy etc.... For a starter get a Etrax Yellow or a Geko 201 all under 100 dollars. I have a Geko 201 I would sell if you interested it has all the cables etc...

email me if you want.

cheers

if you would like turn by turn directions with your gps both of the above units will not work. you would need minimum garmin's new legend c or what I like better is the gpsmap 60c or cs that will cost about $350 to $400 not including street detail mapping or topo mapping so it can cost allot to get

You could also get 'turn by turn' from a garmin GPS V. The deluxe version, which DOES include the map CD can be had for less than $250. Perhaps less if you shop around, or stock ebay for a used one.

Which reminds me, to get turn by turn that will go right to your door, if thats what you want??, you need two things. An autoroute capable gps (gps V, vista C, map 60C, etc) and detailed mapping with turn by turn data (like city select, Version 6 is newest I think). Metroguide and topo will not autoroute, but you can look at them to plot the route yourself :surprise: . You can autoroute from just the basemap, but it will only know major roads/interstates. So it will take you the close point and turn you to turn off the road!

I started with the Legend and I still think it's a great little unit. It's only slightly more than your $100 budget if you order through Amazon.com (around $130 I think). You can always get the maps for it later on.

Auto-routing is definitely a nice feature, but something you can live without if you are on a tight budget. The Legend at least gives you base map data to start from. It also comes with the download cable, which the eTrex yellow does not. By the time you order the cable separately, you might as well have bought the Legend.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I know WAY to much about GPS for a person who has yet to hold one. :laughing:

We think we want to go with a legend. It will give my hubby some more "features" and let us get out there and go!!! Yesterday Walmart had it for 131 but today they want 138? Irritating.

I'm gonna check amazon and shop around a little...

hopefully, I'll be posting soon with our first find!! :laughing:

remember if you dont want to wait to get out there for shipping...and you will not have to pay shipping..lol and to get a little even with ol' wallyworld there store policy is to price match if the store is less than 40 miles from them....my local wal mart says on line is definatly closer than 40 miles away and they will match there on line price...take a print out of the price and make sure they can see it is a current price and they should match the printed add and your out the same day....and leaving with a smile...lol