novel geo-caching ideas

Guest dkruz

I'm looking for a unique way to leave a geo-cache. Something other than simply leaving the coordinates of the cache and having people find that spot.

Have you done something different? Like leaving clues/hints as to where the actual cache is. Or, using triangulation or giving degrees of the compass where people would have calculate or use the gps to find the actual cache.

Any ideas?

Guest swangner

The kind of thing you're talking about wouldn't strictly be geocaching, it'd be a hybrid between geocaching, and orienteering. I'm not saying it's a bad idea (I think it's actually quite interesting, and could be a lot of fun), but it doesn't fall completely within the bounds of geocaching. You need a lot more know-how to find something based on compass readings and maps than you do trying to find it using GPS coordinates.

You may wish to check the "Great Falls Walkabout", waypoint GC269 in the database. It's actually a series of three caches, each of which contains part of the coordinates to a fourth GeoCache. By retrieving the first three "clue caches", you assemble the information you need to locate the main stash.

Though I haven't actually gone out looking for any caches yet (GPS unit arrives tomorrow afternoon), some friends and I already have that one on our list of "caches to seek". (No caches yet, and I've already got two people hooked and dreaming up cache ideas -- how's that for efficiency?)

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Guest Buxley

One of my upcoming caches will be a variant on the offset cache idea. The published coordinates given for the cache will lead the player to a historical marker. A number from that plaque (probably the last two digits of the year the plaque commemorates) will be part of the coordinates of the nearby cache's true location. For example, the player will know that the cache is at N 37.123 W 122.xx4 but they will need to go to the plaque in order to figure out what 'xx' is. The plaque and the cache will be within walking/hiking distance of each other.