Magellan Platinum Accuracy Problems

BillyBean

We have to Meridians, a Platinum & Gold. It seems like the Gold is always more accurate and gets to the caches quicker (seems like it) Every so often, the Platinum goes crazy. Today for example, we were looking for a cache, the Gold said 5ft and the Platinum was about 180ft. It varied from 30-180 ft without moving. Another cacher came along with a 72c and his was almost identical to the Gold. On 3 different caches today the Platinum was 120-180 ft off. I recalibrated the compass (properly) and the datum is set correctly, the batteries were over 1/2 full. The other thing that gets me, the 1st cache of the day, we were both right on. I didn't drop it or anything, but when we came to the 2nd about .70 miles away, it was totally messed up. I am running the latest firmware (for the last 6 months). So there has been nothing changed recently. Does anyone have any suggestions, or could it possibly be broken. :laughing:

Thanks

Double check to see if the connections for your batteries are snug. The little coils sometimes get compressed and don't make good contact. Using a pair of small screwdrivers, hold the base of the coil with one and stretch out the coil with the other, should this be the case. I had similar problems with my MeriGreen once, and it showed me at over 78,000 feet, and moving...

You install as if upgrading. In the process, the old [existing] firmware is deleted, and the new [incoming] firmware is installed. It's the same deal even if you're dwongrading (that's why I qualify the terms "old" and "new").

Be sure when installing new firmware to clear memory all the times it is directed. I even throw in an extra one for good luck at the end. <_<

It might help to do a quick search here on problems with accuracy. I have a Magellan Platinum, and was having the same problems. Click here to be taken to that topic. I started posting about the problem about a month ago, and seem to have corrected it.

Lots of helpful hints in there. And, if none of those help, you can do what seems to have fixed mine. It's near the end of the topic. I had to ask Magellan for some help, and they gave me a very good test to perform. Good luck.

Pittfan