Nasty Rumor

Tickbait

It's a rumor. The government can already turn on SA any time they want. They can also jam signals in any given area.

Even if SA turned back on tomorrow this game would go on.

Yep, back to orthos and geosense. If it did ever happen it may reduce the number of new geocachers, but it may encourage some retired geocachers to start again....

Plus there would be a big issue with GM and all of their vehicles that have the OnStar system.

I dunno. If you can't find that Denali in the ditch if you're within a couple of hundred feet of it then maybe it's time for some (stronger) glasses.

If SA, or some form of same, were turned on probably what would happen is folks would be forced to provide meaningful hints, you'd be talked in like with letterbox-styles instructions, and the folks who like those numbers runs will have a harder time figuring out which lampost the cache is hidden in.

Of course, there would be more angst about whether your cache is really within 528' of that other cache, the buffers for railroad property would probably be pushed way back, and the approvers jobs would become nightmares trying to figure out if the cache owner's coords are accurate enough to tell which side of the interstate the cache is on.

This is nothing more than a menal exercise, but I would think geocaching would become much closer to letterboxing, newblood would fall off, the geewhiz factor would taper off, and Jeremy would have a hard time with costs and eventually move on to something he could actually make a living at.

That's not to mention that this would most likely never happen because the new systems can distrupt accuracy based on region and not efffect the rest of the world. If it does happen here, I think most of us would probably be more worried about if that attack helicopter had US markings on it or not. :(

Plus there would be a big issue with GM and all of their vehicles that have the OnStar system.

I dunno. If you can't find that Denali in the ditch if you're within a couple of hundred feet of it then maybe it's time for some (stronger) glasses.

If SA, or some form of same, were turned on probably what would happen is folks would be forced to provide meaningful hints, you'd be talked in like with letterbox-styles instructions, and the folks who like those numbers runs will have a harder time figuring out which lampost the cache is hidden in.

Of course, there would be more angst about whether your cache is really within 528' of that other cache, the buffers for railroad property would probably be pushed way back, and the approvers jobs would become nightmares trying to figure out if the cache owner's coords are accurate enough to tell which side of the interstate the cache is on.

This is nothing more than a menal exercise, but I would think geocaching would become much closer to letterboxing, newblood would fall off, the geewhiz factor would taper off, and Jeremy would have a hard time with costs and eventually move on to something he could actually make a living at.

That's not to mention that this would most likely never happen because the new systems can distrupt accuracy based on region and not efffect the rest of the world. If it does happen here, I think most of us would probably be more worried about if that attack helicopter had US markings on it or not. :(

Attack helicopter? Where?

Thanks for all the comebacks, even the smart-aleck ones :( . Actually, I got the notion from a political cartoon. Good to have solid information on it. Though I've been caching for three years now, I'd never perused these forums before a couple days ago or I'd probably have been better informed.

Hey I am still waiting for Bill Gates to send my check for the emails. :)

---->

Hello everybody,

My name is Bill Gates. I have just written up an e-mail tracing program that traces everyone to whom this message is forwarded to. I am experimenting with this and I need your help. Forward this to everyone you know and if it reaches 1000 people everyone on the list will receive $1000 at my expense. Enjoy.

Your friend,

Bill Gates

:):(:(

You would be surprised at how easy you can miss a car that has rolled on its side wheels facing toward you in the dark and snowing. Not always as obvious as it sounds.

When fire trucks are racing towards a house on fire everybody and their brother are out there waving and pointing like lunatics at the burning house, like some how the fire fighters are going to miss all the flames and smoke, but you go on a hard to find medical call and everyone stands there with their hands in their pockets like statues watching you drive by.

<back on topic>

I think I would do about as good caching if the SA was turned on, as with it off :(

Thanks for all the comebacks, even the smart-aleck ones :laughing: . Actually, I got the notion from a political cartoon. Good to have solid information on it. Though I've been caching for three years now, I'd never perused these forums before a couple days ago or I'd probably have been better informed.

I'd rate this: "...before a couple days ago or I'd probably have been better informed." as moderately to highly unlikely.

So this would mean there could only be one cache per quadrant only if there was no railroad in that quad. LOL

cheers

There are some commercial applications of GPS tech that would suffer if SA was reinstituted. Given them and (as already mentioned) localized jamming/SA, full SA will probably never be used again.

Yeah, I'm trying to get my head around the idea of the government mandating GPS location technology in all cell phones (E911), then making the technology useless. On the other hand, I never thought I'd see a male prostitute in the White House press room, either. But that's a subject for a different forum.

I never thought I'd see a male prostitute in the White House press room, either. But that's a subject for a different forum.

If a female prostitute can be "rehabilitated" and become a multimillionaire author/actress/dress designer, why can't a male prostitute become a journalist?

But the difference is, "Jeff" was still soliciting via the internet at the same time he was in the White House press room.

Multi-tasking! :)

But like I said, that's a subject for a different forum.

Thanks for all the comebacks, even the smart-aleck ones :) . Actually, I got the notion from a political cartoon. Good to have solid information on it. Though I've been caching for three years now, I'd never perused these forums before a couple days ago or I'd probably have been better informed.

It's good to see you in the forums. Maybe the next time I'm up in Rapid City I'll host an event cache.