Log Page Reloading

E = Mc2

I haven't noticed it mentioned anywhere else, so forgive me and send a Markwell my way if it has. I actually went caching the other day and have just now sat down to log my finds.

Problem: On the "Post a New Log" page, when I click the tab to selectt the type of log (ie, Found, Not found, Write note, etc), the page reloads. This may not be a bother to those with high-speed connections, but on dial-up, it is pretty annoying. Is anyone else having this problem, and could it be related to the site design changes?

Thanks for the reply.

I understand why those mentioned above need to reload (to remove the date option), but why does it also reload on "Found" and "Write note"? Since the top three are the most commonly used though, wouldn't it save time and bandwidth (ie:money) all around to have them not reload the page? With 82192 logs in the last week, that translates into 165824 page views for those logs, not including any edits... :(

It now reloads because certain log types (e.g. Needs Archived, Archive, Enable, Disable) will always post "Today" and you can't change the date.

Ah, now there's a problem: I've just re-enabled a cache, and yes it only allowed the option "today".:( Unfortunately I'm not in a continental USA timezone. My today is 20 Feb, while the enable log shows 19 Feb. If the site is going to force "today", can it be the timezone set in the user profile, or go back to allowing a date override?

Thanks.

:laughing: I am having the same problem. everytime I do the FOUND. the page blinks out and reloads, If you type fast, you lose your entry. This seems like a waste of time to me.

QUESTION: Why must the Found and Write a note page, reload before being able to enter your data?

I logged 21 caches last night and had the same issue. Took the first few to realize I just had to wait a sec, even then it caught me a few times. With any change comes a learning curve, so if it can't be fixed, we'll have to be patient for the page to reload, which was pretty quick given the server errors I had gotten half an hour before.

The changes to the site are great, even with this minor "issue" so I can live with it. :laughing:

This is happening when logging bugs also...

But wait. This last time I logged, my typing didn't get wiped out, the page just re-loaded !! Thats a real relief for someone who can't remember what was just typed.... who can't remember what was just typed... oh I said that already !! <_<

I noticed this as well. Dialup just *is*. Would prefer to see the reload problem fixed.

The 'today' issue is also a major one for me. There are plenty of times I do a weekend or longer cache run, and I don't get to log until I return home. Forcing to 'today' will force, say, 100 finds on one day when it is actually 20/day. Not to mention the cache logs will not be listed on the same day as the site.

Other than the reloads and now the today problem, I really like the looks of the website changes. Thanks guys!

The 'today' issue is also a major one for me. There are plenty of times I do a weekend or longer cache run, and I don't get to log until I return home. Forcing to 'today' will force, say, 100 finds on one day when it is actually 20/day. Not to mention the cache logs will not be listed on the same day as the site.

I believe the set "Today" date is only for certain "drastic" cache maitenance type logs. (see post above by Hemlock) You will still be able to log finds with a flexible date for the very scenario you described.

I understand the desire for the "locked" dates for certain types of maintenance activities - but if that can be implemented in a way that doesn't force the page reload for all the "common", date-flexible activities, that would be optimal. Of course, Jeremy already said he was planning on removing it - so I guess I'm preachin' to the choir. :D

Thanks again for the redeisgn - overall, I'm a big fan.

Thank you, Mssr Iryshe, for your response in this matter. I must agree with SnoWake and Yar?Yar! in that the design changes are wonderful. Now when are we going to be able to recommend pics for the home page? :D

With the question answered and a fix on the way, I am closing this thread.

However, the date of the log will still be the system date for any changes (enable, disable, archive, unarchive, etc). For those logs the difference between US Time and Europe time doesn't matter.

I'll provide you with a small example just to show you that it does matter (maybe not for you, but for the users):

1. A find gets logged (Saturday, 1800 UTC)

2. A DNF gets logged (Saturday, 1900 UTC)

3. The owner checks his cache, finds the container lost and disables the cache (Sunday, 07.00 UTC)

4. The "Disabling log" shows up on the same day the cache was found and not found.

5. The next cachers don't know whom to trust: was the DNF logged despite the box being there and the Cache disabled without having been checked, as the Found log will be "after" (higher on the page than) the DNF log (and probably also after the disabling log!)?!?

If you really need a fixed (server) date, I'd recommend to set it to one day after the server date!

BS/2

Edit: typos

Edited by BalkanSabranje