Cache Ideal, To Evil Or Not Evil Enough?

There used to be a cache called Iron to the Island where you walked an iron beam to get to the cache. The beam is gone and the island stands alone now. If I put a cache on the island It would be more of a challenge now.

The river here is swift, there is no boat ramp you would have to carry in a raft and solve the problem of not being able to paddle upstream. Maybe some people could paddle upstream. A rope with a grapple hook would work. The river is only 20' wide here. That's one way. A life jacket would be mandatory. The river would probably bounce you off a few rocks before it smoothed out again should you fall in. I bounced this idea off of my wife who didn't appreciate the challenge. She's all for caches in parks with a short hike and an easy find.

Back to the drawing board. Then I realized that I could use gorilla glue and put metal plates on a Decon paint it camo colors and also glow in the dark, then leave it in the open on the island. Now you can use a fishing pole with a magnet on the end to cast the 30' and try to snag the cache. Once you catch the cache you just toss it back on the island when it's done. Or you can get that raft and grappling hook. My wife still wasn't impressed. The more I thought about it though, the more I like the idea to keep our local power cachers busy for a day or two.

The caches ultimate fate is that sooner or later someone will miss the return toss. But it will be marked geocache and a waypoint number put in it so they will know what they found.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

There used to be a cache called Iron to the Island where you walked an iron beam to get to the cache.  The beam is gone and the island stands alone now.  If I put a cache on the island It would be more of a challenge now.

The river here is swift, there is no boat ramp you would have to carry in a raft and solve the problem of not being able to paddle upstream.  Maybe some people could paddle upstream.  A rope with a grapple hook would work.  The river is only 20' wide here.  That's one way.  A life jacket would be mandatory. The river would probably bounce you off a few rocks before it smoothed out again should you fall in.  I bounced this idea off of my wife who didn't appreciate the challenge.  She's all for caches in parks with a short hike and an easy find.

Back to the drawing  board.  Then I realized that I could use gorilla glue and put metal plates on a Decon paint it camo colors and also glow in the dark, then leave it in the open on the island.  Now you can use a fishing pole with a magnet on the end to cast the 30' and try to snag the cache.  Once you catch the cache you just toss it back on the island when it's done.  Or you can get that raft and grappling hook.  My wife still wasn't impressed.  The more I thought about it though, the more I like the idea to keep our local power cachers busy for a day or two.

The caches ultimate fate is that sooner or later someone will miss the return toss.  But it will be marked geocache and a waypoint number put in it so they will know what they found.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Sending the cache over by casting it with a fishing rod - you are dreaming with the best of them. Try this yourself before you put it into action. Tell me how you expect them to remove the magnet after casting it over?

If the river is swift are you ok with living with the guilt if some eager cacher drowns while trying to get your cache?

I am all for challenging caches, however there are always good solutions to them as well. Sounds like your's is a crap shoot at best, since you are not even sure how to do it.

IMO

Edited by mrking

Your retrieve the cache with a fishing pole. You toss it back. The return toss is what gives the cache it's limited life span.

Not being the person who looses the cache is part of the challenge.

Safety is always up to the seeker. I'd warn about the river here, suggest the fishing pole solution and then it would be up to the seeker.

mrking: there is a crapshoot aspect. I'm not sure how good I am with a pole it would take more than a few tries to get the magnet to snag the cache.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Your retrieve the cache with a fishing pole.  You toss it back.  The return toss is what gives the cache it's limited life span.

Not being the person who looses the cache is part of the challenge.

Safety is always up to the seeker.  I'd warn about the river here, suggest the fishing pole solution and then it would be up to the seeker.

mrking: there is a crapshoot aspect.  I'm not sure how good I am with a pole it would take more than a few tries to get the magnet to snag the cache.

Then I would say go for! Especially since there is the extra responsibility of not losing the cache. Imagine if you had to log that? hehehe :huh:

Edited by mrking

I like the idea. Is the island flat enough in the area the cache will be in so that missing the cache with the first or subsequent casts will not get the fishing line tangled in underbrush, trees, rocks, etc., and either be unretrievable or break when being reeled back in for another try? How heavy of a magnet will be needed? Will you have a fishing pole (the telescoping kind, perhaps?) available? Maybe you could use finding the fishing pole as the first stage of a multi? That would be evil, having the cache on the island in full view, and the pole hidden well as the first stage. Just some thoughts.

Hank