Tivo Sdk?

Jeremy

Wow. I had no idea:

http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/

I'm trying to think of some ideas for geocaching. Maybe when we finish the new cache notification feature we can have the TiVo let you know.

The problem is, at least from what I can tell, everything with the HME is passive. You need to go to "Music, Photos & More", then select your "Geocaching" application to see what's listed.

I was hoping there was some sort of way to have a more active notification, so that whenever you are watching TiVo, it could send a message to the TiVo.

I haven't gone through the SDK extensively though, but I don't think it's there.

Considering the market, might it not be better to figure out a way to notify folks of new caches via IM or text messaging on cellphones.

You are right, I doubt it would create more revenue for gc.com, but the geek factor is high. Besides, not everything has to make a ton of money, why not just do it because you can, and it would be cool...

Considering the market, might it not be better to figure out a way to notify folks of new caches via IM or text messaging on cellphones.

Sorry. I'll think back inside the box now.

No, I'm sorry. I apologize. I didn't know there was tons of developement time and monies to work on stuff that would benefit a tiny portion of your users.

Let's see a show of hands that want to see new caches pop up on their TiVO.

Let's see a show of hands that want to be able to get on the friggin website and not have to sit and wait or see time-out error messages.

Let's see a show of hands that want to be able to get on the friggin website and not have to sit and wait or see time-out error messages.

No problems here. Maybe the Premium Member Web Site Priority was implemented. Great that someone thought outside of the box for that. ;);)

No problems here. Maybe the Premium Member Web Site Priority was implemented. Great that someone thought outside of the box for that. :D:D

I'm not just a Premium Member, but also a Charter Member. I'm only logged in as CoyoteRed on the forums. :huh:

From the threads over the weekend I see I wasn't the only one. :lol:

No, I'm sorry. I apologize. I didn't know there was tons of developement time and monies to work on stuff that would benefit a tiny portion of your users.

I cant figure out if you are asking for a pony or you want a dead horse?? :D

My hand is up!

I've been thinking about this and was planning on writing something to access my pocket queries from my TiVo, which would enable me to show new caches. I'd rather have an api into geocaching.com, because I'd need to parse the html that came back from the pocket queries.

Bad! Bad, Jeremy! Get back in your box!

For crying out loud, CR, what's the problem with this? I'm sure if Groundspeak had a corporate vision, somewhere near the top there's probably something about keeping the site operating as efficiently as possible. Yeah, there's slow periods every now and then, but you make it sound as if you never can get on. Maybe the problem's at your end...

Somewhere farther down that vision, I hope, is something about innovation. Yeah, having new caches pop up on your Tivo would only benefit a few people, but it's cool, and in the process of figuring how to make it work, you learn new techniques and spawn new ideas that could be used elsewhere on the site that would benefit everyone.

Yeah, we all want to see 100% uptime on GC.com, but I don't want to see the site become stagnant. Everyone criticized TPTB in the past because they never let us know what features they were working on until they were launched. Now Jeremy is bouncing new ideas off the community, and people still complain.

(Although Jeremy, the IM/text messaging thing is a good idea... maybe strike up a deal with Verizon? We could even get the repairman guy to do the ads: "Can you find me now?")

Oh, come on, folks. All I'm asking is some innovation that would benefit more folks. How many here don't have a cell phone? How many here don't use IM? Compare that with how many don't have a TiVo.

I don't personally know anyone with a TiVo and my best friend installs home satellite systems including TiVos!

Eh, let's just say you have a cell and a TiVo. Which are you more likely to have in your proximity on any one given moment? The TiVo? Really? Wow, you have your TiVo on you in the car, at work, in the woods, while you're getting you hair cut, or in the store? I thought the main goal was to get you information right now.

You're probably missing the subtle point that there is a difference between a ) thinking about stuff and b ) doing stuff. Sometimes thinking about stuff results in doing better stuff. But now I'm just sounding concescending so I'll stop.

You're probably missing the subtle point that there is a difference between a ) thinking about stuff and b ) doing stuff. Sometimes thinking about stuff results in doing better stuff. But now I'm just sounding concescending so I'll stop.

Keep thinking. Learning is not always a linear process. Just like finding a cache, the direct route may be the shortest, but it is not always the best way to get there.

Wow. I had no idea:

http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/

I'm trying to think of some ideas for geocaching. Maybe when we finish the new cache notification feature we can have the TiVo let you know.

This should be inherent in the new feature...I'd imagine this new cache notification feature would be an email to you conatining details of a new cache. Nearly all cell phones, pagers, IM services already have email addresses associated with them..e.g. you can send an ICQ to anyone via email using ICQNUMBER@pager.icq.com .

Ideally this notification would let you specify more than one address.. voila! instant cache notification if you set one of the emails as your cellphone / pager / IM service.

Nearly all cell phones, pagers, IM services already have email addresses associated with them..e.g. you can send an ICQ to anyone via email using ICQNUMBER@pager.icq.com .

Ideally this notification would let you specify more than one address.. voila! instant cache notification if you set one of the emails as your cellphone / pager / IM service.

This is a good point. Actually the idea around TiVo that I found intriguing was access to RSS feeds, which would kill many birds with one stone. One of the features in the near future will be to provide custom RSS feeds, which could be used by both standard readers and RSS readers on a TiVo. And of course the cache notification feature will allow you to send the notification to an address other than your primary account's.

Well, considering the last few replies, anyone know how to get a TiVo without having to pay the monthly fees? Every place I see that sells them says $x monthly fee applies. I just need one touch recording and possibily recording on a timer. I don't need a TV guide service or be able to record using the schedule.

I've looked on eBay and the Series 1 units seem to go for too much money and I can never find one in the pawn shops. I guess they are too easy to hack and folks snatch them up.

i only pay $4.99/mo for TWO boxes ($4.99 total, not each) with DirecTV. not sure how you would hack them but i'm sure it's been done.

as for the original topic, might be kind of cool but if i'm in the middle of a show, don't know that i'm hitting pause to go out and find it.... unless it's close enough and i can get back within the 30 min buffer :ph34r:

edit: i also have wireless internet in my house and using my laptop i can check caches "whenever". someone on dialup might appreciate the service though.

Edited by robert

Actually, Tivo is in a bit of trouble. While they had a terrific product and have come out with some neat hacks of their own for it, they are starting to get beat by cable companies providing their own DVR solutions. As folks move to HD and digital set top boxes, the current Tivo solution starts to run into issues. If they had HD support and a cablecard solution and provided dual tuners like the current cable company DVRs, they might have a chance, but they are struggling due to the lack of those.

As for RSS feeds, here's one related to Geocaching I started to put together using an open source CMS (blog type) solution. Any blog today provides RSS feeds and I'm really shocked gc.com hasn't done something in this area yet. If you're interested in seeing what the RSS feed is about, visit CachingCentral and the info there is available with via RSS with a link on the bottom of the right navigation.

One of the issues the industry will have with RSS feeds is the ability for information to be viewed by an individual without all the "marketing" associated with the individual going to the actual web site. Granted, a RSS feed could provide ads, etc but typically they don't. As an example, if you go to http://www.geocaching.com you'd see no less then six advertisements (internal and external links). If the information on that page was viewed by me in a RSS feed, would the hit counts for those advertisements go down? Absolutely. I can relate it to the SlickDeals.net RSS feed which since I've been using the RSS feed, I don't visit the site any more, so if there's advertising on the site, I'm not viewing it any longer (not that I clicked on it before anyway).

Well, considering the last few replies, anyone know how to get a TiVo without having to pay the monthly fees? Every place I see that sells them says $x monthly fee applies. I just need one touch recording and possibily recording on a timer. I don't need a TV guide service or be able to record using the schedule.

Put together a MythTV box (google the term) or buy a Tivo and pay for the lifetime membership. Considering the amount of time most people sit in front of the TV you're saving yourself hours of commercial time and frankly the cost is more than worth it.

Yes, TiVo has been listed on the death watch for many web sites. Rumors abound that they may be acquired by companies such as Comcast and Apple. I don't expect them to go away, and if they do, expect many hacks to keep your machines functioning. And did I mention that TiVo runs on Linux? But now I'm gushing.

Yes, TiVo has been listed on the death watch for many web sites. Rumors abound that they may be acquired by companies such as Comcast and Apple. I don't expect them to go away, and if they do, expect many hacks to keep your machines functioning. And did I mention that TiVo runs on Linux? But now I'm gushing.

I'd love to see them snatched up by Apple. While rumors of their death have been greatly exaggerated for years, competition has heated up more recently as people started to understand what a DVR is all about.

Back to the original topic, this feature would be most useful only if it could notify you while you're watching a program rather than a passive approach which I think is all (?) that's supported now.

[ did I mention my original caching name was TiVoTim? But I was a ChileHead before I was a TiVoHolic, so I took that name instead ]

I just need one touch recording and possibily recording on a timer.  I don't need a TV guide service or be able to record using the schedule.

That's the other problem with TiVo: people like CR (sorry, but you're handy) dismiss it because all they know is a VCR. They have no idea what the fuss is about, and won't spend the $$$ to find out (that's understandable). Just like my Mom, they'd go nuts over it if they tried it, but... :(

I have a cell phone (Treo) and a TiVo, and I'd rather see caches pop up on my cell phone. Though the geek factor for having a new cache note show up on the TiVo is thru the roof. :o

And yes, I've had that signature line for a couple of years now. :(

Edited by martinp13

I hadn't noticed HME before this. Interesting.

Stepping out of character, I'll have to admit I do see the appeal in this for some folks. The FTF hounds and the "power cachers" are unlikely to find it arousing, but the casual family cacher could probably get some mlieage from the idea. Tivo Wishlists and cache notifications really aren't that far apart - esp. if you stir in the attribute stuff to really focus interest in a way kind of like Tivo's Suggestions. You could have multiple profiles in a home (Mom sees new historical caches while skimming The View, Dad sees the available hikes for the weekend with the evening news and Junior gets to plea for a stop at that new "kid friendly" cache in his favorite park.)

It's an intriguing idea. I don't know that there's money to be made at it, but there's probably some interesting stuff that could be done with it.

Signed,

Original Series 1 owner that's been contemplating DirecTivo/Series 2 upgrades if not for having to re-buy that lifetime sub.

What's TV?

Ever notice people that don't have/watch TV go out of their way to tell everyone that they don't have/watch TV? Fine you're superior. I watch TV and own TiVo.

Anyway, I love the idea, Jeremy. It'd be another reason to love TiVo. I only hope that the DirecTV/TiVo will allow these functions. They are finally, supposedly turning on the home media extensions for the DirecTV Tivo units, so there is hope.

Edited by Bull Moose
They are finally, supposedly turning on the home media extensions for the DirecTV Tivo units, so there is hope.

Are they? I know the newer R10 Direct tivo's have the folder functionality that was added in the same sw release, and people have verified some USB functionality is in place, but I thought Directv was still anal about enabling this due to concern of "theft" or some such nonsense.

I've been thinking about playing with the wap.geocaching.com interface and using that to the TiVo.

The only thing missing would be the ability to run pocket queries though.

They are finally, supposedly turning on the home media extensions for the DirecTV Tivo units, so there is hope.

Are they? I know the newer R10 Direct tivo's have the folder functionality that was added in the same sw release, and people have verified some USB functionality is in place, but I thought Directv was still anal about enabling this due to concern of "theft" or some such nonsense.

Hmm... I swear I read that somewhere, but now I can't find the source.

Perhaps I just misread something in the 6.2 upgrade release.

How am I supposed to carry on without the possibility of getting new cache alerts on TV?

:unsure: