You Know You've Been Geocaching Too Long...

LeoGeo

I spent the morning finding a couple of caches near Dallas. Then I went to the Dallas Museum of Art to see the "Forbidden City" exhibit of Qing-dynasty art, Grant Hill's collection of contemporary African American art, their super-duper collection of Indonesian art, a big Robert Smithson retrospective (the guy who made "Spiral Jetty," perhaps the biggest virtual geocache in history!), etc. So I'm passing through the modern American paintings department and come across this Georgia O'Keefe painting of "Tree Trunks in Snow," and my first reaction is, "Hey, that'd be a great place to put a Geocache!"

I think my finding "Old Fishing Bridge" yesterday and "'Eli' at Apollo" today influenced my thinking....

By the way, the Forbidden City exhibit included some information about what was perhaps the first and only Geocache in history that influenced a royal succession. In the early 1700s, the Manchu emperor decided to avoid all arguments about royal succession by writing the name of his chosen successor on a piece of paper and putting it into a box, which he told everyone he was going to hide behind a plaque on the wall in a certain room. After his death, they were to open it and find out whom he'd chosen. So, when he died, they did, and Prince Bao, whom he'd named, became the Qianlong Emperor (who came to power around the time George Washington was born and died the same year Washington did). That geocache prevented a possible civil war over the throne! And some people say this is a silly hobby, heh!

This has not happened yet, but I can see myself telling my brother to go to "Tool Time" and turn right, when you are beside GCxxxx take the next left, once you pass "Lost in Cobb County" turn right at the light. Go north until GCxxxx is directly to your west. The resturant is on your right. See you there tonight for dinner.

If I used real landmarks, he would navigate to exactly where I wanted to meet.

My lunch bunch at work thinks I'm crazy. As we're headed out to lunch, I say, "There's one in there.... oh, and there's one over there... there's a great little cache over there..."

They have gotten to where they just roll their eyes, but I'm going to wear them down one day and convince them to go with us. Then they'll have the fever too. Mwahahahaha :(

From the pages of Today's Cacher:

TOP 10 SIGNS OF A SERIOUS GEOCACHING ADDICTION

10. You name your youngest child, "Micro."

9. Your boss takes you aside and asks about the smell of DEET when you come back from a long lunch. You lie and claim it's cheap gin.

8. Your significant other calls you to dinner through the forums.

7. The clerk at the Army/Navy surplus store meets you out back with your ammo cans in a plain, brown wrapper.

6. You've ever used a caching buddy as a job reference.

5. There's a picture of the new Magellan on your bedroom ceiling.

4. The clerks at McDonald's are getting suspicious.

3. You tried to claim beef jerky expenses on your taxes.

2. The DEA agents follow you home after another of your massive ZipLoc shopping runs.

1. You call out, "Found it!" in moments of passion.

Those are great! is it weird that I fit every description??? Ha Ha J/K I don't think Geocaching would be half the fun without the addictions... I'm not quite sure why it's so addicting but i can't stop... over 200 find in just 5 months.... then winter hit and there are no more caches in my area so i have to travel alot.... hope the spring brings a big BOOM!!! haha

From the pages of Today's Cacher:

TOP 10 SIGNS OF A SERIOUS GEOCACHING ADDICTION

10. You name your youngest child, "Micro."

9. Your boss takes you aside and asks about the smell of DEET when you come back from a long lunch. You lie and claim it's cheap gin.

8. Your significant other calls you to dinner through the forums.

7. The clerk at the Army/Navy surplus store meets you out back with your ammo cans in a plain, brown wrapper.

6. You've ever used a caching buddy as a job reference.

5. There's a picture of the new Magellan on your bedroom ceiling.

4. The clerks at McDonald's are getting suspicious.

3. You tried to claim beef jerky expenses on your taxes.

2. The DEA agents follow you home after another of your massive ZipLoc shopping runs.

1. You call out, "Found it!" in moments of passion.

From my cache

TOP 25 SIGNS YOU'VE BEEN CACHING TOO LONG

1. Have you missed classes or work because of geocaching?

2. Do you have trouble refusing geocaching?

3. Do you need geocaching in order to have fun at a party?

4. Do you use geocaching to build up your self-confidence

5. Do you use geocaching to help you relax?

6. Have you tried to give up geocaching and failed?

7. Do you crave geocaching as soon as you wake up?

8. Do you get into trouble because of geocaching?

9. Do you crave geocaching at a definite time daily?

10. Do you lie to others about how often you partake in Geocaching?

11. Have you gotten into financial difficulties because of geocaching?

12. Do you often wish people would just mind their own business about you and geocaching?

13. When you are in a store, you look at every hollow object as a potential cache container.

14. You spend most of your time in a dollar store looking for swag.

15. Everywhere you go, you are always looking for a hiding spot.

16. You get really excited when you find a new park.

17. Do you check geocaching.com web site more than once a day?

18. Has your GPSr ever been confiscated "for your own good"?

19.You no longer visualize/think of the city in terms of streets and addresses but rather cache locations.

20. When you start giving out coordinates instead of map directions to a particular location (like your house).

21. You’ve had more “conversations” on your Garmin than on your REAL cell phone.

22. Your wedding invitation features a Difficulty / Terrain rating.

23. You realize you can now read the hints without clicking “Decrypt”or looking at the key.

24. You get distracted watching movies because you keep scanning the background scenery, thinking, “That’d be a GREAT place for a cache!”

25. Everyone else puts a quarter in the coffee fund jar in the office break room. You TAKE a quarter, leave a Travel Bug, and cover the jar with pine straw.

Sorry, couldn't resist :laughing::huh:

Some of those are pretty good, I might add them to my cache page

Edited by camo-crazed

Had one happen to me on Friday.

When you're going down the highway, you slam on the breaks, swerve onto the shoulder and park. When your wife asks you why, you tell her that you've been trying to aquire this WAAS bird to download the almanac, and it finally locked on. If you move, you'll lose the signal.