Microcache

carpet123

I am thinking about putting a microcache out somewhere urban. I am going to give the microcache an interesting twist, as many Goecachers complain about them being boring, and thet the owner is just lazy.

However, that is not the point. I have never found any urban caches so do not know what sort of places they are best hid. I guess it is very important that it is well hidden, being where lots of people are. Other than that, I don't know of any clever or interesting places to hide one.

Could you guys tell me of any cool places you've found or hidden urban caches.

Thankyou, Carpet123

I hesitate to say this because there is a good chance that you will take it the wrong way. Please don't.

The best way to know what is a cool way to hide caches is to find some. Find the urban micros in your area. You will notice that some are really great and that others just plain stink.

Next, take a walk around your downtown. Pay attention to the neat places and try to think of how you could hide a small container in these interesting places.

Edited by sbell111

Anything out of the ordinary is interesting to me. The world one step left of the one we all live in.

The only guide you really have is youself. What you find interesting, is what you should do for caches. I really don't like feeling exposed with tons of people watching while I look for a cache. My caches tend not to end up where you are exposed. Others like the challenge.

In the urban environment normally any one cache won't block another one that isn't very close to being the same. One side of a parking lot looks about like the other. Around back though might be some landscaping that nobody ever gets to see that's actually rather nice.

That's a ramble. Follow your muse.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Be very very careful. The one thing I hate about urban micros is that they are hard to find and the clue is useless. The problem is you're searching for a tiny cache in a public area where people are watching you. It is very awkward and in my opinion not much fun knowing that the cops are going to be called because of some suspicious looking person that has been in the area to long.

My best suggestion is that in the hint, tell right where to find it so that someone can just grab it after searching for a bit.

I did one of these yesterday and ended up having to bail because I had no luck. I was smack dab in the middle of a busy intersection with cars right next to me while they waited for the light, not cool. So there were cars everywhere and business lined the street, there was no way of being discrete on this one.

This game certainly creates a ton of enthusiasm. Eventually that tempers with some experience. I was very anxious to do this do that start something etc.

I took the advice of some experienced folks and now have a decent handle on what the game is about.. and what it is about for me. That is important. Find as many different caches with different levels of ability that you can handle.

I now know that I enjoy multi and puzzle caches.. so my caches I will be placing will be of that sort.

I dont mind micro caches that are thought out. Give you a reason or at least a hint of a reason for the cache to be there. Parking lot and light pole caches.. simply are a bore.

So picking the place is as important as the type of cache. Give me a reason why I would like to do that micro or any other.

I looked for three micros today and logged a DNF on each of them. :o

When I got back home and looked one of them up, it turned out that since I downloaded the info into my Palm, both the hint and the cache container had been changed. :huh:

On the second one, a person who found it said the coordinates were off by 30 feet. When looking for a micro, out in a field with clear satellite reception, that discrepancy sure makes a difference. There was someone sitting in their car in the parking lot a little distance away, so after looking around near where my GPSr zeroed out, I gave up before my presence started to look suspicious.

In the third case, there are huge boulders used as riprap next to a water course. A medium-sized ammo can could be hidden VERY well in many spots, but the container is the size of ONE cigar. I looked for a long time, but in that situation, a micro seemed a little TOO difficult. :o

I'm not the only person who has had trouble with these three . . . so I guess it wasn't just my inexperience. After today I might just avoid Micros in an Urban environment. :D At least I did find one ammo can cache, and I will log my first virtual as soon as I get the go ahead from the cache owner. :D

I have to agree. There is a certain cache in Seattle that is in the busiest place imaginable. The sat reception is almost non-existant, the container is micro, and you have to search in suspicious places in front of large panels of glass with people working. Not really appropriate I think. :huh:

I hesitate to say this because there is a good chance that you will take it the wrong way. Please don't.

The best way to know what is a cool way to hide caches is to find some. Find the urban micros in your area. You will notice that some are really great and that others just plain stink.

Next, take a walk around your downtown. Pay attention to the neat places and try to think of how you could hide a small container in these interesting places.

I think your input was valuable and gently expressed. I see no likelihood of offense being taken.

As a newby, I look for info like this from the more experienced players. Thanks!

As a newbie and a person who doesn't like to attract attention, I also do not like the urban micros that you have to search around for, looking suspicious. The kind I do find more enjoyable are the ones that tell you almost exactly where to look, and then you just have to do a Tom Clancy novel type swipe to get. Such as sitting at a picnic table and searching underneath for a magnetic. In that situation, there could be dozens of people around, and you could just act like your eating lunch or something.

I really don't like the urban micro where the coordinates put you in the neighborhood of 30 feet, and then no clue as to where or what you're looking for. Mind you, I don't go searching and then complain in the logs; rather, I just tend to avoid them altogether and not worry about the low number after my name.

The ONLY complaint I have about urban micros is when they are placed between nearby buildings where the signals seem to be reflected in all directions and there are myriad targets - we look suspicious enough, we at least need a clear signal to help us reduce the number of targets.

One might/should determine a target to place one & check to see how well it can be found, perhaps in different weather situations.

As for busy areas, I find early Saturday AM and Sunday PM are perfect for urban micros . . . cities can be ghost towns and I have never felt watched.

If you want to do an urban cache instead of a micro you might want to do a multi cache. A Walkabout Town in Leesburg, Virginia is the best multi cache I have found yet. This cache takes you to historic markers and gives you formulas based on the dates in the markers. This gives you the location of the next marker. The final cache is located in a small park.

If you still want to go with the urban micro idea I have two recommendations. First, place the cache in a small out of the was park in your downtown area. I know of at least six such small parks in my hometown of Frederick, MD. Second, place the cache on top of a building. This can be much easier that you would think, if you can find the right building.

...My best suggestion is that in the hint, tell right where to find it so that someone can just grab it after searching for a bit....

I'll second that. When exposed to muggles I don't want to spend a lot of time looking and go for the hint quicker than a non urban cache.

I agree DON'T make it impssible to find and make it so if you want someone to search then put it in a very low volume area. If not then someone watching may take it. Also make it interesting a nice view a unique downtown location a monument etc... I do urban micro instead of virturals as you can get one easily approved.

cheers

We found a micro cache that was in fake dog poop under a bush. Pretty hard to find at first. The poop was hollowed out underneath and it had a tiny tin inside (smaller than an altoid box).

In my opinion, it isn't the cache itself, but finding it that's fun. I'm a novice though, so maybe I'll be ready for bigger and better ones soon.