waypoint for forest cache

Guest Buzbon

Guest Buzbon

I hid a cache in a park today with large redwood trees. I had a very difficult time trying to get an accurate waypoint reading from my eTrek. What is your best solution to marking the cache location when the satellite signal is weak due to the trees overhead? Thanks.

Guest cache_ninja

1.hide it somewhere else (maybe reception will never be good there)

2.come back later, maybe reception will be better at the different time of day etc.

3.goto a spot nearby, where reception is good, take a waypoint. then think of a creative way through hints and clues and such to direct people to the right area where the cache actually is..

Guest logscaler

put your cache where you want and them shoot compass bearings back to a spot where your reception is good. Then mark your good spot as the cache with a compass bearing offset; I.E. 270 feet at 200 degrees or something along that line. TTFN

Guest brokenwing

If there are other places in the park where you can get accurate readings, consider moving it. If this is not an option but you still can get good signals in areas around the cache, you could try taking several (5-10) readings roughly the same distance away from the cache and average them. Another method would be to take a reading at the actual cache, leave and return, get a new reading, and continue to do this until you have sufficient readings to average. You have to walk away to trick the GPS into thinking it's in a different place. My final suggestion is to get a better GPS! icon_wink.gif

brokenwing

Guest brokenwing

If there are other places in the park where you can get accurate readings, consider moving it. If this is not an option but you still can get good signals in areas around the cache, you could try taking several (5-10) readings roughly the same distance away from the cache and average them. Another method would be to take a reading at the actual cache, leave and return, get a new reading, and continue to do this until you have sufficient readings to average. You have to walk away to trick the GPS into thinking it's in a different place. My final suggestion is to get a better GPS! icon_wink.gif

brokenwing