Logging Vituals

Jake39

What constitutes a good virtual, where one is deemed to be acceptable over another?

If it is informative and or educational, is it less of a ?challenge? then some of the hideous caches where a 35mm or other container is hidden in absolutely unwarranted locations, locations that are not of any value except to give someone a quick log.

*(According to the rules one is supposed to say (quote) WOW.*:mad:

Edited by Jake39

Well, the site expresses a preference for hunting a physical container as the basis for the geocaching activity. If you can put a container nearby then you won't be able to do a virtual. Unfortunately for some, this means that some pretty average physical caches get listed while some pretty interesting spots get denied as virtual caches.

Me, I like a pretty interesting (virt-worthy) spot that somehow manages to incorporate an appropriate physical container (i.e., a nicely-placed nearby micro with a dry logsheet, not a soggy pulp inside a film canister), or if the interesting spot is incorporated into a multi or puzzle cache.

As for pure virtuals, I have several listed on my all-time favorites list. Assuming that a physical cache can't be hidden nearby, I like a virtual that shows me something I would not likely have visited if not for geocaching. And yes, I say "wow" when I get there.

Hopefully the inherent tension between cool spots and physical cache containers will resolve itself when the new game for replacing virtuals/locationless is up and running. Geocaches will then be caches and points of interest will then be points of interest.

I would classify myself as a relative neophyte at this game. I should hit 300 caches this weekend. :huh:

I understand the concept of 'finding a logbook' at a cache. I also understand the concept of 'the hunt'. I enjoy both. I enjoy a Virtual that takes me to someplace interesting and/or exciting. Primarily to somewhere that I would not ordinarily have gone otherwise, or that I would have missed if it weren't pointed out to me. That being said, I've been to some very lame Virtuals. (Okay, I've been to some very lame physical caches as well...) The point of the hair salon last weekend was competely beyond me. Maybe I missed something? (Though I doubt it.) It was not even worth the smiley. (Okay, I logged the smiley...) But I do wonder why I bothered.

My stab at it.

It's the hunt, it's the find. Finding a word on a sign isn't fun. But if the sign is on a wall where they first tested nukes and you can still see where the sand turned to glass... That's the right idea.

If the sign is on the road where you turn to get to this site 22 miles away in the forum of one of those roadside information signs...That's not as nice.

The 'Virtual' was a monument of an early 'Engineer' that bushwacked his way across and surveyed the county and established sections and roads and had a township named after him.etc.

The questions had been along the lines of: Year, where born how long it took early settlers to traverse that particular road and how many acres they were rewarded with, at the end of their trek......

This wasn't acceptable.. 'Quote ..because there was no 'WOW' invoved..

.. Now if you had asked the same questions about Lewis and Clark (being more famous) would it have been rejected? I doubt it. :huh:

This topic is a little unclear - Logging Vituals. Is it related to vittle, slang for food. If it is then I could say I like to comsume and relish a excellent virtual. Since I have a few good virtuals, and prefer a virtual that will take me to a neat place that is historical, informative and poignant. From my own experiences creating a good virtual is a difficult and time consuming task that will just get disapproved. I will just make it part of a multi and put the treasure box at the end for those that are totally infatuated with a simple container full of trinkets.