Garmin 60 C And City Select And Topo

GeoSar

I have heard others say that you can have both Topo and City select loaded at the same time but I don't know how to do it, I would like to have them both loaded so I can switch between one and the other for the area that I live in, can someone please tell me how to do this, when I load a map set on it always says erasing previous maps??

Thanks

GeoSar

Edited by GeoSar

This came from the Garmin GPSMap 60cs Thread and it was posted by bunkerdave...I just copied and pasted it because I didn't know how to link you to it...dm

Ok, someone has already asked me about uploading from multiple map suites, so here goes.

1) Open up your Mapsource Topo AND your CitySelect software on your desktop.

2) Select the Topo maps you want, and copy them (CTRL+C)

3) Go into CitySelect (The two Mapping suites use the same browser)

4) Select the maps you want in City Select (There are a lot less of them than there are in Topo.)

5) Right click in the area where you now see the names of the CitySelect maps you are uploading, and click PASTE. This adds all the TOPO maps you copied to the CitySelect maps you just selected.

6) Upload as usual.

Essentially, what you are doing is taking the map/database data from TOPO and merging it with CitySelect. It just occurred to me that this might work, had I read the instructions more thoroughly, I am sure it would have talked about this.

It is quite nice, and switching from Topo to CitySelect doesn't seem to be a big deal. You have databases in each that are not in the other, and all the data for both software suites are displayed in the FIND menu together. Obviously you will not be able to carry as large an area as you could if you just loaded one or the other. I loaded all of Utah, plus about 50 miles around the perimeter, and had plenty of room to spare. You can also have SOME of the Topos and SOME of the CitySelect displayed on the map screen, but I have found that displaying the CItySelect gives more data around town.

Another difference is that TOPO shows considerable more of the backroads and streams (which makes sense) and CitySelect does not have these data at all.

Anyway, There you have it. Hopefully my instructions are coherent enough to make sense to everyone. If not, feel free to e-mail me or just post here with any questions.

Maybe the newer versions of Mapsource are different, but in my older version, there's no need to cut & paste -- you just select maps from one mapset, then click on the drop-down menu to change to another mapset and you can select the maps from there, too. They all go onto a list of what you'll upload when you finally click on the upload button.

On my 60cs, I have City Navigator maps, 24k East maps, US Topo Maps, and marine tide point maps, all overlapping. I didn't have to do any cutting and pasting or run more than one instance of Mapsource to get them uploaded. HTH!