Locationless (reverse) Cache

Whostops

As there are so few caches around, I would like to suggest that you also have a look at the Locationless (Reverse) caches.

Now I know some of the purists will "poo poo" the idea.....but...

(1) It is a way of getting your numbers up.

(2) You will start looking around and noticing things in a different way.

(3) There is no better way to get a conversation started, about geocaching, than by having your picture take in public while holding a GPS aloft !!!! :laughing:

I have had a lot of fun myself looking for new "Locationless" by reviewing other Geocacher's profiles and then going out to find them myself.

If you need some ideas then have a look at my profile.

Have Fun !!!!

:P:P:lol:

I agree that locationless caches have been seen as "not the real thing", but after looking at a few of them, I nowadays look at all the places I am driving past a bit differently. I have noticed old stone bridges, not so square buildings, mural art on buildings, etc. Not that I always have a camera and gps with me to log these caches. :laughing: OK, I know a real cacher should never travel without these items, but sometimes we just forget.

From my own opinion, I would like to think that I would like to visit those locationless caches that really attract my interest (waterfalls, and a few in and around my own "dorp".

How about a few South Africa specific locationless caches? One that comes to mind are for Blockhouses, where two current caches are located in any case, Randvaal and Stilfontein (actual Springfontein). It would be nice to know where all these blockhouses are. Maybe own of those cache owners can start such a locationless cache.

I intend creating a locationless cache for South Africa (the first one???), but is awaiting the collection of travel bug "Castle Draft". I will then visit the SAB museum in downtown Johannesburg and use this as the start of the locationless cache " Beers from around the world", allowing only one log per different type of beer. So start thinking of your porpular brand so long.

How about a few South Africa specific locationless caches?

I intend creating a locationless cache for South Africa (the first one???),

There's a moratorium on the cache type... so good luck

It does make one notice things that one hasn't noticed before... some of them are a bit mindless though.

You may also want to use the Locationless Cache analyser before logging one as it may already have been logged.

Personally I log em when I find them by accident while doing another cache.

It seems like there ain't no moritorium thingy no more. Check out the guidelines for placing a cache. It explains everything and says nothing about a moritorium thingy. The guidelines are often updated.

You'll notice that when trying to create a cache there is no option to create a locationless (reverse) cache anymore.

If you read the Guidelines you'll find the following:-

Reverse Virtual (Locationless Caches)

Locationless caches are a variation of virtual caches, but with no specific location to visit. Instead, the cache hunter is instructed to search for an object that meets certain criteria and report its coordinates. Many times the seeker is also asked to provide an original photograph of the location to provide proof of visitation.

In the future these will have their own section, but currently there is a moratorium on new locationless caches.

AND

Locationless Caches

There is currently a moratorium on locationless caches. No caches will be posted until functionality is available to better serve this unique category.

Virtual is listed, but I think they are very strict in allowing these to be placed. The last I heard, they were still not approving these.

Edited by GlobalRat

Hi All

During June 2003 I placed 3 Virtual Caches and two of these took about a month's worth of e-mails back and forth to get approved. These were the last in South Africa and probably the last worldwide. (I've had very positive feedback from local as well as overseas cachers on all of them.)

Blockhouses.

I've posted a bit of history on Randvaal as I was planning to place a cache there. Unfortunately zTHUNDERz beat me to it......

There are still 48 blockhouses out there. If I can trace them all I will publish the details in SA Forum.

There are quite a few caches waiting for my body to get mobile again - in the mean time : Have Fun!

:lol:

Edited by Metro Nomad

When i first saw these locationless caches, i also thought, "Whoopee, I can get my numbers up", and almost claimed a fairly arbitrary one of me finding a phone booth in thailand. However, my high morals got the better of me, and i decided i am a stuck up purist who doesn't approve of such caches. ( No disrespect to those who do approve though :-)

However, If they are well thought out ones, such as the "sisters" locationless cache which i have done, and the 'Whats in a name" cache, (still to do) I do indeed approve of them.

I think that if all the locationless caches were extremely interesting, and only of rare items, i would be in favour, but a huge amount of them seem to be pretty arbitrary to me, although doubless not to the placer.

Each unto his own of course.

I think this happens in all sports. I know of some guys who won't stoop so low as to play a "Cheap" golf course. Only the best for them

As I mentioned, I personally have had a lot of fun with the Locationless.

Some were easy...."Botannical garden", "My name", "radio KAOS"

I had to do some research for "Vasco da Gama" .

I agree some are really "DOFF" like the "Cell phone tower" & "Water Tower"

but try and find an unusual "Post Box" or a "Mural" or a "Tank" (I know of 3 unclaimed)...

.................now that will keep you looking for a long time.

Anway, to all of you, enjoy your Geocaching !!!!

I think that if all the locationless caches were extremely interesting, and only of rare items, i would be in favour, but a huge amount of them seem to be pretty arbitrary to me, although doubless not to the placer.

I agree. After reading the posts here I logged three finds for locationless caches, all in my area. Some took about five minutes to get to, take the readings and pics, and return home. Also, some cache logs I read were obviously logs that should be deleted. For example, one cache asks for logs of animals, and many animals have been logged at least five times, without the proper information that the listing requires. To me, this does bring down the credability of the whole thing. Still, I want to try log all the locationless caches, because that in itself is a challenge and like Discombob said, there are some very good ones.

Edited by AE_Rodney