Women And Geocaching

flask

not to start a flame war or anything, but i'm not sure why there's so much interest in women in caching, women's safety while caching, or women's caching events.

not from everybody, mind you. some folks seem overly uh, invested in the topic.

i'm going to go stand over there now. then i'm going to get edited, moderated, and i'm going to close the topic real quick.

The Flies and the Honey-Pot

A number of Flies were attracted to a jar of honey which had been overturned in a housekeeper's room, and placing their feet in it, ate greedily. Their feet, however, became so smeared with the honey that they could not use their wings, nor release themselves, and were suffocated. Just as they were expiring, they exclaimed, "O foolish creatures that we are, for the sake of a little pleasure we have destroyed ourselves."

not to start a flame war or anything, but i'm not sure why there's so much interest in women in caching, women's safety while caching, or women's caching events.

i'm going to go stand over there now. then i'm going to get edited, moderated, and i'm going to close the topic real quick.

Its ok to come out of the corner, you are ok.

i'm not sure why there's so much interest in women in caching,

I'm very interested in women and caching, they are two of my favorite things. :laughing:

Add some booze and I'm in!! :P

sounds like the geobash in july! :P

In Ohio? :)

UMC, you were aware that a large Cheers contingent is attending that weren't you?

I am sure you will be welcome to visit the traveling Cheers gang offical camp site! :lol:

I'm very interested in women and caching, they are two of my favorite things. :P

Add some booze and I'm in!! :lol:

Ewww, three of my favorite things.

Sorry, not you donuts, but the booze. :laughing:

Actually, if you throw in some donuts I'm in too.

I'm very interested in women and caching, they are two of my favorite things. :P

Add some booze and I'm in!! :)

sounds like the geobash in july! :laughing:

In Ohio? :)

UMC, you were aware that a large Cheers contingent is attending that weren't you?

I am sure you will be welcome to visit the traveling Cheers gang offical camp site! :lol:

Nah, I haven't been paying attention since there are about a bazillion events between now and that one. Once it gets closer I'll take a better look. There is a good chance I'm camping very near that group as I'm staying at a cheers members site. :P

I've met some of them in the past, scary bunch I tell ya. :D

Because we're a small enough group as it is; losing the females would be a huge loss.

Because having women involved means it's more likely the men will be allowed to buy more GPS toys. :-)

Because we are interested in the safety and happiness of all humans.

Because women involved in any outdoor pursuit are in the minority. Women backpackers, women hunters, women fisher(wo)men, even women skiers.... Anyone involved in these sports find that women are in the overwheliming minority.

Because there is a general lack of interest among women in these activities some people take an "invested" interest in encouraging their participation.

To illustrate this, there are dozens, if not hundreds of threads by guys who complain that their wives don't geocache, but not a lot where the reverse is true.

I guess if this was a shopping website's forum, there might some threads taking an overly invested interest in "'metrosexual" males.

Edited by briansnat

I have almost as many female geocaching buddies as male. I take women from college age to 60+ with me frequently - something like 2-3 times a week I will have a woman with me.

My wife rarely caches, and over the years we have developed a deep and abiding trust. When I travel to events out-of-state I often share a hotel room with my geocaching friends, be they male or female. I camp out and share a tent with women on a fairly regular basis.

Some are single, some married, all love geocaching, and all are quite comfortable with me...as are their husbands and S.O.'s

These women know I am very happily married, would never hit on them, don't tell them the cruder jokes, drink, or make insinuations - I treat them, in other words, like a fellow geocacher.

As I look back on almost 1100 caches I just realized that I had one or more women with me at at least 50% of those!

I have women tell me regularly that they wish they were as comfortable with other men, that they'd go more often or to more places.

Many times just having a male along has given them the security to go places and do things they would not have tried on their own or with another woman.

I think that if you want more women involved in the game we have to act towards them as geocachers, not women, not targets.

Try it - you might find a whole new world of friends and enable more women to geocache.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I disagree flask, I don't think it's the cacheing that is keeping you single.

I think it's the catching. :D

PS I like women, I like one woman a whole lot, I just wish she liked caching a little more. I also like booze and donuts, but not together. Oh and I like caching a lot too.