Anyone Watching Survivor??

Czarniecki314

I've never watched an entire episode of that show. In fact, the longest continuous stretch I've seen might be five minutes. But anyway, why not throw the people on the island, leave, come back in a week with cameras. Repeat.

The current method is only a soap opera, and far from anything to do with surviving. But I guess it's what makes the money. I can't argue with that.

Jamie

I watched it, and am getting tired of the tropical locales. I know that skin sells, which is the reason for the warmer climes. But after about three weeks, thats some sorry looking skin to look at. I wish they'd do a Survivor Siberia or Khamchatka or even go to a desert setting again.

Though I will still watch Survivor, the Amazing Race is more interesting. Had they not changed the rules that need 4 people per team, we would've applied to be on it. Its basically a 'round the world multi-cache anyway.

My penny (unemployed so cannot give out two cents this time 'round)

I saw the ammo box and instantly told my wife that there would be a topic here. I thought it was kind of funny. Now that it is late, did anyone notice how they opened and closed the lid? I have considered some of the reward containers for caches where a large box could be used, especially the "fire" one.

This topic is going to be tough to keep related to geocaching. If it continues tangenting off to what TV show you think is better it might get voted off of this forum and into Off Topic.

I like both shows, but The Amazing Race is more akin to geocaching.

In fact, I am assembling and will host a blatant rip-off of that show called The Amazing GeoRace, tentatively scheduled for May 14-15th, wherein teams of geocachers will race from Huntsville to Mobile Alabama.

The race will begin in Huntsville at 9 a.m. Saturday and end in Mobile at 3 p.m. Sunday (~350 miles), with racers having geocaching-related tasks, detours and pit-stops along the way.

See this AGA forum topic for planning.

All geocachers are invited to attend; watch the May 14th geocaching.com calander for an event page to be put up!

See you there!

Ed

I watched it, and am getting tired of the tropical locales. I know that skin sells, which is the reason for the warmer climes. But after about three weeks, thats some sorry looking skin to look at. I wish they'd do a Survivor Siberia or Khamchatka or even go to a desert setting again.

Though I will still watch Survivor, the Amazing Race is more interesting. Had they not changed the rules that need 4 people per team, we would've applied to be on it. Its basically a 'round the world multi-cache anyway.

i've thought the same thing... put it in antarctica or something where they really have to survive... and mix it up a bit. :laughing:

They did sort of do this on:

Pioneer Quest - A Year in the Real West

It was inspired by the Survivor shows but with a "regional" angle.

It was gripping and at times really hard to watch.

edit:

I bet they wish ammo cans were available at the time so they could store some of their more valuable stuff more securely.

Edited by davwil

Could be the reason it's in warmer climates also is the liability of contestants losing fingers and toes to frostbite. Sure, the show is contrived, but if watched Survivor: Australia you got to see how the camera crews got to live when Mike(?) burned his hands--not much better than the contestants themselves though I'm sure they had food to eat. It's not as if they went back to the hotel at night.

As far as going back and finding fire, Rupert found a lost spearhead with only a vague notion of where it lost. Granted he had a swim mask, but this box is much larger and more likely to be seen from the surface. The question is breath control. A rope would be helpful.

I'd absolutely love to explore that island. Every time they show scenes of the war relics I'm reminded of the short story of the air crew from Heavy Metal: The Movie."

As for the T&A, it's what sells. Someone mentioned there's nothing to look at after a few days. Actually, my observation is it's amazing that some ladies actually get better looking natural. Almost every show has one though they usually are the quite ones and don't get much camera time. This illustrates there actually were good looking ladies before makeup was invented. Last series saw the tribes with a bit of help, though it wasn't ever mentioned, but few lost much weight. I understand this time around, they get no help.

I think Burnett is going to really shake things up this time. He already has given a couple of good twists with two voted off right off the bat (ouch!) and letting the tribes mingle first.

As for the geocaching aspect, Survivor: Panama saw a pirate's theme and they collected clues for finding a booty. Every one of the series that I can think of involved reading crude maps to find camp and (semi)potable water.

EDIT: fix some tags.

Edited by CoyoteRed

I am a complete Survivor addict! In all the seasons, I've only missed two shows.

I met Heidi last year. She was one of the girls that took their clothes off for chocolate and peanut butter. I met Rupert a couple weeks ago at a car show and will be going to another show to meet Scout Cloud Lee on the 26th of this month. My husband had the chance to meet Twila up where he hunts during deer season but didn't go talk to her. He's not the Survivor fan like me.

http://www.news-leader.com/today/20050206-...estmixesce.html

20050206-AutoFestmixesce_1.jpg

Edited by PandyBat
...or, you could always do SURVIVOR: SOUTH CENTRAL or SURVIVOR: COMPTON, and throw them into the hood and see how they do... :P

I have inadvetantly tried that, took a wrong turn in a rent a wreck on holidays... it's amazing that an Australian accent and saying G'Day alot after a Crocodile Dundee has just been released can save your life! :laughing:

I've never watched an entire episode of that show. In fact, the longest continuous stretch I've seen might be five minutes. But anyway, why not throw the people on the island, leave, come back in a week with cameras. Repeat.

Make it really interesting. Give each a knife, one canteen of water, and tell them the money is hidden in a bag on the island.

See how civilized they really are.

The current method is only a soap opera, and far from anything to do with surviving. But I guess it's what makes the money. I can't argue with that.

Jamie

It's about surviving the game, not particular survivor skills.

The creator, Mark Burnett says that it's not reality, he calls it "unscripted drama". Throw a bunch of people into an uncomfortable situation where they have to get along on the surface while scheming with and against each other then turn on the cameras and watch what happens.

BTW, when the canoe capsized and dropped it's cargo, I immediately thought, PUSH THE MOB BUTTON! (Man Overboard, from my GPSMap 225).

"I've thought the same thing... put it in Antarctica or something where they really have to survive... and mix it up a bit."

How about on Portage and Main in Winnipeg in the winter, or maybe just my back yard. THAT would be survival............uuuh.......If they did do it on the prairies in the winter (or summer) they could give the contestants a Magellan with landmarks programed in for the different competition sites.

QUOTE (PandyBat @ Feb 18 2005, 03:45 AM)

I am a complete Survivor addict! In all the seasons, I've only missed two shows.

I've never missed one!

I have a record, I have never seen any part of any show! But I always put $10 in the pot at work. I got Angie this season. Sounds like she just hung on on the first show. I guess she will probably not last long.

I missed the first show, but doesn't look like anything else on I like, so maybe I can catch some of it this season.