Safety While Caching For The Women

Madness522

My wife brought up a good point about safety while on a hunt. She asked would someone set up a cache deep in the woods with the hopes of luring people back there with the intent of harming them. (Yes she likes to watch horror movies). This question got me to thinking about geocaching from a safety standpoint. Being a man with a concealed carry permit and former IPSC shooter I will go just about anyplace with little worry about what might happen.

How do you women here plan for safety when out caching. This applies even to local parks where you do have to go off the beaten path. There are caches in some of the most populated parks around in my area and some of the caches placed are far away from most of the people in the park.

Do you always have a partner with you.

Do you keep aware of your surroundings and not just focus on the GPSr screen.

Do you file a flight plan with someone. (Let someone else know where you are going and about how long you plan to be there)

I really don't want to need answers to these questions posted here I just wanted to give you something to think about....your SAFETY!

From the front page of the website:

There are 143484 active caches in 213 countries.

From a thorough familiarity with the history of the forums:

There are 0 reported cases of caches being set up to trap unsuspecting finders into a criminal situation.

There are, however, criminals out there, and they are a far greater risk than a bogus geocache. This is true regardless of whether you're geocaching, hiking or walking your dog. And from personal experience, the risk is not limited to women.

I'd recommend having your wife read the other active thread a bit further down the page.

The most dangerous animal in the wild for humans is called Homo sapiens.

F.i.: in the USA they have the habit to go around with shotguns or, and that are the more dangerous types, they have hidden weapons (Those have a so-called concealed carry permit). But do not count on that; many walk around in - what they consider as their territory - with deadly weapons without permit.

Never try to get nearer to male members of this species when they are protecting their mate and offspring.

My advice: do not thrust the beasties, shoot them on sight!

Edited by Prof. Y. Lupardi
F.i.: in the USA they have the habit to go around with shotguns or, and that are the more dangerous types, they have hidden weapons (Those have a so-called concealed carry permit). But do not count on that; many walk around in - what they consider as their territory - with deadly weapons without permit.

Yeah. Whew. Good thing nobody ever gets shot where you come from. Unless, of course, they do something really REALLY horrible like...make a film or something.