Gsak Geocacheing Swiss Army Knife

GSAK was developed in Australia. First work up your pocket query from the geocaching.com site. Unzip it to your desktop then do File/Open and point it to the GPX file you have on your desktop. Then the fun begins you can do so much with this wonderful program. Since we live close you can give me a call this evening or most other evenings and I can walk you through it. Just email me and we can set up a time. We met at a local event some time ago

Edited by horsegeeks

You have to run a pocket query and be sure you opt for the GPX file output. Once you have the file, open it with GSAK and all the caches included in the query will be listed. Be sure to put your home zip code in the query page so you get the 500 caches nearest to you.

:ph34r:

I just downloaded GSAK.  Now how do I link it to geocaching.com?  How do I get the files from GC.com to the GSAK page.  How do I get this program to center on MY home.    Why are the only caches I can see on GSAK all in Austrailia?

I need help.

:P

SGTABN82

There is a comprehensive help file supplied with GSAK. It can be accessed by hitting the F1 key or via the help/contents pull down menu.

The help file can also be accessed on-line HERE

My question is Not answered on the page linked to.

When I click on a GPX file to open it, It loads that file plus the previous file used.

What do I need to change so it clears the database when I close GSAK?

It is irritating when you open a file by double clicking on it and get 2 different files loaded.

I can clear all waypoints by doing several moves, but that seems to be the hard way to do things.

John

You are should not be opening the GPX or ZIP file outside of GSAK as I think you implied in your last posting, but rather just drag the file into the GSAK window or click on the open file icon in GSAK and point it toward wherever you saved the GPX file you got from your Pocket Query. GSAK will do the rest with the file. You might want to create a new database to use for your download just so that you still have the Auatralia database to still play with jsut in case you can't get your GPX/ZIP file to load properly you still can experience what GSAK has to offer toward working within a database. Then follow nightpilots advise and don't clear your previous database as you get/build up more info on caches if you let them merge rather than replace.

You have to run a pocket query and be sure you opt for the GPX file output.

GSAK can open ZIP files directly - there is no need to opt for the GPX download.

I think that means GPX as opposed to LOC. They can either be zipped or not zipped, but I can't see any reason not to zip them.

Brian

John, why do you want to clear the database?  The new file will be merged with the current caches, and you'll get more logs that way.  I don't understand the need to clear the database each time.

I'm using GSAK for benchmarks and to keep the size manageable and for the area we will be in. Some counties out here have over 2,000 benchmarks, so to keep load time and size manageable I would prefer not to merge and end up with 20,000+ records in 3 states.

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

I can see separate databases for caches and benchmarks, since they aren't the same thing. But it seems more efficient to load all the benchmarks into one database, and then use filters to select the ones you want, either by county, or import date, or whatever you like. The filters in GSAK are very powerful, and can easily be saved for frequent use. But it's your system, so whatever works for you..........

I just loaded the benchmarks for Maricpa Co (3400+ marks) and it took over 35 minutes to load that one file.

I've just started using GSAK so I have very little to go on as to how to use the program. Have been reading the help file, but I seem to come up short quite often. It seems as though they expect you to know what you're doing before you even start the program.

John

35 minutes to load a file? What are you using for a computer, an IBM XT? Something is wrong, because it shouldn't take 35 seconds, much less 35 minutes! :(:(

I agree!

I've just loaded a 60Mb+ GPX file containing my complete dB which consists of 5400+ caches, including all the logs/user notes/corrected coords etc from my main dB into my 2nd PC (an AMD 1GHz 256M RAM) and it took around 3mins 30 secs to complete!

Here's what I did. I downloaded the county list of benchmarks from the NGS for Maricopa Co AZ. I then dragged the saved file onto BMGPX and it produced a GPX file (19.3MB) for all the benchmarks in that county. I then opened GSAK and selected that GPX file to open. IT took over 35 min for GSAK to load it!!!

I looked at the link that was posted and there is nothing there to tell me to do something different. Our computer has a 2+ GHz processor, so that is not the problem! I tried on 2 different computers and it took almost the same time on both computers.

John

John, why do you want to clear the database? The new file will be merged with the current caches, and you'll get more logs that way. I don't understand the need to clear the database each time.

us beginners haven't yet figured out the filtering protocol

this seems to be a very complicated program

my first reaction is to filter at the query, and then have just THAT data.......but from reading some posts, I get the impression that with GSAK, gather ALL data into the tool, and then start the work of filtering

lots of reading to do

GSAK is can do a lot, but it's good to start with the core functions of importing gpx waypoint files and exporting to the places you want to use them.

Setting up your pocket queries to screen out caches in which you have no interest makes sense. But think of the PQ as a preliminary filter for a pool of potential candidates, and GSAK as the final filter for your caches of immediate interest. For example, you may get a PQ for the 500 caches for your zip code. If you plan an outing focusing on caches to your west, you might set a centerpoint for 10 miles to the west, filter for Distance < 10 miles, and download that information to your GPSr and PDA.

Here's what I did. I downloaded the county list of benchmarks from the NGS for Maricopa Co AZ. I then dragged the saved file onto BMGPX and it produced a GPX file (19.3MB) for all the benchmarks in that county. I then opened GSAK and selected that GPX file to open. IT took over 35 min for GSAK to load it!!!

I looked at the link that was posted and there is nothing there to tell me to do something different. Our computer has a 2+ GHz processor, so that is not the problem! I tried on 2 different computers and it took almost the same time on both computers.

John

John, I downloaded the same file and processed it...took my computer 24.5 minutes to get through the import (Athlon 2200, 1GB RAM). I took look at Task Manager while it was working, and it seemed to be churning away: GSAK had 99& of the clock cycles, and the Read and Write I/O were cranking. One interesting thing was that the progress bar did the first 25% in 1.5 minutes, but at 3 minutes it was only up to 37%. It slowed more as it went further along.

Clyde would have to offer the authoritative explanation, but I suspect that the size of the file--possibly in combination with the content of BM dat source files--is pushing GSAK beyond it's usual workspace needs. I can process files of 500 BM's well under a minute, so I don't think it's benchmarks per se. Motley Crew's report of a quick process for a 60MB gpx file is cache data, so that difference may be significant.

Once you've got them loaded, I would hope that you're over the time hurdle and you can use the data without problem. But I don't think there's anything wrong with your machine or setup. Until I tried to process this county file, I regarded my machine as working properly (and I still do).. It's just a be-e-eeg file.

John

I'd like to try this for interest purposes.

Can you provide a link to the site from which you are downloading the data?

I wonder if there might be considerably more info included in the download than is provided in a cache data GPX file.

Fron the NGS site, Maricopa County.

Click Arizona>get counties archives>Maricopa - Since I on cable I use unzipped (Don't think it really matters though.). Save it to my BMGPX folder & Drag and Drop on the Icon. The file is 19.3 MB.

There is considerable more info to parse than with a PQ file.

Is there i limit to the number of individual Databases that can be saved in GSAK? I have been loading each county and saving it as it's own database.

I apreciate your help.

John

Embra - I have a Pentium 4 / 1.90 GHz with 512MB of ram. The less ram may be why my load time is longer.

John

Yeah, I would guess that the RAM makes the difference between us.

I don't think there's any limit to the number of databases...not one we're likely to encounter, anyway. And I seem to remember Clyde saying there was a humongous capacity for records, too, within each database.

Fron the NGS site, Maricopa County.

Click Arizona>get counties archives>Maricopa - Since I on cable I use unzipped (Don't think it really matters though.). Save it to my BMGPX folder & Drag and Drop on the Icon. The file is 19.3 MB.

There is considerable more info to parse than with a PQ file.

Is there i limit to the number of individual Databases that can be saved in GSAK? I have been loading each county and saving it as it's own database.

I apreciate your help.

John

Embra - I have a Pentium 4 / 1.90 GHz with 512MB of ram. The less ram may be why my load time is longer.

John

Ok thanks for the info. I've dowwloaded the *.dat and converted it with bmgpx.exe.

The resultant file 'az013.gpx' file is 19.3Mb and it does indeed take an absolute age to load <_< .

Looking at the 'source' GPX file i see a hell of lot of ...

"</td></tr><tr><td>"

and ...

"><tr><td>" amongst others ... entries.

Now I wonder if this is causing the delay in processing? GSAK 'normally' would not have quite so many of these to process and produce 'readable' results.

(note: 15 mins have passed and GSAK has processed 75% of the file. Nearly all background processes I normally have running have been halted.)

Sounds like I NEED (Honey, are you listening? (not you, the wife!)) a new Pentium 4 hyper-threaded 4GHz processor with about 2 gig of ram.  <_<  Or just some patience, maybe.

Thanks for your time and help.

John

I don't think so.

It took about 27 minutes to load this file on my system, much the same as you found. I have to say that GSAK was amazingly accurate in it 'end time' predictions!

I still think there might be a problem with processing all those ampersand thingies! I don't know what they are but my gut feeling is that is what is causing the excessive load time.

Over to you Clyde ...

us beginners haven't yet figured out the filtering protocol

this seems to be a very complicated program

I would say that it is not complicated but very feature rich. It allows you to do an awful lot. I have not needed to use much more that a few of the filter settings on the general page.

Start simple - you can filter on just about anything in the data base. Clyde has decent built in help and more help on-line at his web site. Just click Help/About and then use one of the links there.

Clyde is VERY responsive when I send him e-mail questions. You should also be able to get good help here in the form also if you need it.

I get general full PQ's and do the filtering in GSAK. I have several saved filters - one of which is "For GPS" which lists all the unfound (and filtered) caches as well as my own caches for dowloading into my GPS.

I think once you get used to it you will love it. If so I hope you will support Clyde who is now working full time to support this product.

Sounds like I NEED (Honey, are you listening? (not you, the wife!)) a new Pentium 4 hyper-threaded 4GHz processor with about 2 gig of ram.  :huh:  Or just some patience, maybe.

John

I don't think so.

It took about 27 minutes to load this file on my system, much the same as you found. I have to say that GSAK was amazingly accurate in it 'end time' predictions!

I still think there might be a problem with processing all those ampersand thingies! I don't know what they are but my gut feeling is that is what is causing the excessive load time.

Over to you Clyde ...

Hi Keith,

Can you FTP that file (please zip up first) to the debug area of the GSAK web site so I can take a look and see why this is so slow.

Thx

Sounds like I NEED (Honey, are you listening? (not you, the wife!)) a new Pentium 4 hyper-threaded 4GHz processor with about 2 gig of ram.  :huh:  Or just some patience, maybe.

John

I don't think so.

Over to you Clyde ...

Hi Keith,

Can you FTP that file (please zip up first) to the debug area of the GSAK web site so I can take a look and see why this is so slow.

Thx

Hi Clyde

I've sent you the file as an attachment to an email cos I can't find the debug area at the moment and it's time for work :-(

Cheers

Keith

GixxerUT, the filters just don't seem that difficult to me, you just check the boxes for the ones you want to use. There are lots of choices, true, but most of them won't apply anyway. If you just want the caches that were updated in the latest pocket query, that just takes one check in one box in the filter dialog. I don't think it's a hard program to use, but like any program that does many different things, it can take some time to discover and learn all of them. I don't use anywhere near all the features, I just use what I need and ignore the rest.

I downloaded the Maricopa County file and converted it to .gpx. I then renamed it .xml, which it really is, and opened it with Excel. It took about 50 seconds to load it. I then told GSAK to open it, and after about 7 or 8 minutes, with it indicating about 43% finished but not moving very fast, I ended the program. When I reloaded GSAK, it had loaded 1587 benchmarks into the database, compared to ~3475 in the original file, so the loaded percentage is approximately correct. It does appear that GSAK chokes on these files, but I have no idea why. I uploaded the .gpx file in zipped format to Clyde's debug ftp site, so he can take a look at it.

Edit: typos.

Edited by NightPilot
GixxerUT, the filters just don't seem that difficult to me, you just check the boxes for the ones you want to use. There are lots of choices, true, but most of them won't apply anyway. If you just want the caches that were updated in the latest pocket query, that just takes one check in one box in the filter dialog. I don't think it's a hard program to use, but like any program that does many different things, it can take some time to discover and learn all of them. I don't use anywhere near all the features, I just use what I need and ignore the rest.

well, it is becoming easier and more familiar the more I 'play' with it

something I would like to figure out a simple way of accomplishing;

saving data compiled in a database to a .gpx file for backup (just in case)

when I write reports using WORD, I "save" at almost every paragraph, cuz I hate losing work when something goes awry.....all it takes is a simple click on a button

On the Tools/Options page, you can set GSAK to automatically backup your database(s) as frequently as you wish when you exit the program. I think the default is every 5th time. You can also create a backup with the File/Backup menu choice.

If you want a GPX file backup, select File/Export/GPX/LOC file and set your parameters.

On the Tools/Options page, you can set GSAK to automatically backup your database(s) as frequently as you wish when you exit the program. I think the default is every 5th time. You can also create a backup with the File/Backup menu choice.

If you want a GPX file backup, select File/Export/GPX/LOC file and set your parameters.

thanks, I am liking it more and more

for .gpx, I found the easy shortcut; Ctrl + G

and the arc filter......WOW...can't wait to get proficient with that, for trips

seems pretty straight-forward

Hi Clyde

I've sent you the file as an attachment to an email cos I can't find the debug area at the moment and it's time for work :-(

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I loaded the file on my system (which I thought was quite decent) and sure enough it took 25 minutes - Ouch :huh:

Amazing what some tweaking will do. After a bit of debugging I found the bottleneck and this file now loads into my database in under 20 seconds :huh:

This has nothing to do with the new 5.1 release (its been like this for ages) and this bottleneck actually would apply to all large files that don't have any logs.

I have sent the fix link to those concerned in this thread and am waiting to see if you all get similar dramatic increase in speed of loading these large benchmark files.

On the Tools/Options page, you can set GSAK to automatically backup your database(s) as frequently as you wish when you exit the program.  I think the default is every 5th time.  You can also create a backup with the File/Backup menu choice.

thanks, I am liking it more and more

for .gpx, I found the easy shortcut; Ctrl + G

If you find this something you do often, then I suggest you set up a macro (you only need a one statement macro) then add this macro as a button on the tool bar.

When you do it this way, it is not only one mouse click away, but macros do not bring up the dialogs or any messages. That means you click on the button and the whole export is done with out any prompting or interruption.

Edited by ClydeE
Hi Clyde

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I loaded the file on my system (which I thought was quite decent) and sure enough it took 25 minutes - Ouch :huh:

Amazing what some tweaking will do. After a bit of debugging I found the bottleneck and this file now loads into my database in under 20 seconds :huh:

This has nothing to do with the new 5.1 release (its been like this for ages) and this bottleneck actually would apply to all large files that don't have any logs.

I have sent the fix link to those concerned in this thread and am waiting to see if you all get similar dramatic increase in speed of loading these large benchmark files.

24 seconds - much better :( .

Wow, what great service!  :)  It loaded in under 30 seconds. Glad to know it wasn't me screwing things up.

Thanks for the great work.

John

Bang goes the "new Pentium 4 hyper-threaded 4GHz processor with about 2 gig of ram" then. :ph34r: I suppose you could just keep quiet about this fix .... :)