GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I have been using GSAK for awhile, and a couple of days ago something very unusual happened. For some reason, GSAK started showing 1 too many finds in my find count in the bottom right corner (highlighted in yellow). When I filter my database for found caches, I get the correct number, but the find count at the bottom still shows 1 too many. I have tried the repair/defrag option, but it didn't correct the discrepancy. I have also completely updated my database with a full set of PQ's, but this didn't fix it either. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. What happened is that an old find log on one of my found caches was deleted by the cache owner in error. I then had to repost my find after corresponding with the owner. My next PQ picked up the new find log and GSAK is now counting it as a second find for the same cache, since GSAK still shows my original log (which no longer appears online) in addition to the new log (on the same date). Now my question is, can I somehow delete the original find log in my database so that GSAK only counts one find for this cache?

Edited by Geo Leo

I'm on Version 5.1.2 Build 18, but I've experienced this problem since I started using GSAK several months ago. Maybe the solution is "don't do it," but every time I open the "filter" dialog with a filter already active, I can't seem to make the dialog close. Sometimes, the program stops responding, requiring ending the task and repairing/defragging the database.

What I'm really looking to do is have the ability to re-open the filter dialog in order to modify the filter, but at times I'd like to just close the dialog leaving the original filter active. It seems as though the "cancel" button should accomplish that, or perhaps the close button. But I can't figure out how to do much of anything on that dialog except lock the application up.

I'm a bit surprised it hasn't come up here before, though I suppose I could have missed it. I'd appreciate any ideas anyone might have... other than "Don't open the filter dialog when a filter is active."

Steve

I'm on Version 5.1.2 Build 18, but I've experienced this problem since I started using GSAK several months ago. Maybe the solution is "don't do it," but every time I open the "filter" dialog with a filter already active, I can't seem to make the dialog close. Sometimes, the program stops responding, requiring ending the task and repairing/defragging the database.

What I'm really looking to do is have the ability to re-open the filter dialog in order to modify the filter, but at times I'd like to just close the dialog leaving the original filter active. It seems as though the "cancel" button should accomplish that, or perhaps the close button. But I can't figure out how to do much of anything on that dialog except lock the application up.

I'm a bit surprised it hasn't come up here before, though I suppose I could have missed it. I'd appreciate any ideas anyone might have... other than "Don't open the filter dialog when a filter is active."

Steve

Hmm, I can't get this to happen on any of the computers I have here, nor have I had reports of this exact problem.

What operating system are you running?

I have had a couple of issues of late with old versions of virus scanners that offer "real time protection"

I would ask that you disable your virus scanner just for a while to see if the problem goes away.

I would also recommend that you at least always disable scanning of gsak.ini and gsak.exe and preferably the whole installation folder of GSAK

I have been using GSAK for awhile, and a couple of days ago something very unusual happened.  For some reason, GSAK started showing 1 too many finds in my find count in the bottom right corner (highlighted in yellow).  When I filter my database for found caches, I get the correct number, but the find count at the bottom still shows 1 too many.  I have tried the repair/defrag option, but it didn't correct the discrepancy.  I have also completely updated my database with a full set of PQ's, but this didn't fix it either.  Anyone have any ideas?

Edit:  Nevermind, I figured it out.  What happened is that an old find log on one of my found caches was deleted by the cache owner in error.  I then had to repost my find after corresponding with the owner.  My next PQ picked up the new find log and GSAK is now counting it as a second find for the same cache, since GSAK still shows my original log (which no longer appears online) in addition to the new log (on the same date).  Now my question is, can I somehow delete the original find log in my database so that GSAK only counts one find for this cache?

In a future version of GSAK I will allow for individual deletion of selected logs.

However, for the moment the work around is to use the Database=>Purge logs option (set a filter on just that one cache first) then load back in the most recent GPX file.

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde, I just downloaded the latest update, and now the info at the very bottom; "subset: filter", "3943 shown.....", "center poiint = home", and "Counts:....." are too spread out, so that all of the 'counts' aren't shown.

Is there anyway to compress them to the left?

...every time I open the "filter" dialog with a filter already active, I can't seem to make the dialog close....

Hmm, I can't get this to happen on any of the computers I have here, nor have I had reports of this exact problem.

What operating system are you running?

XP, but it's moot.

I have had a couple of  issues of late with old versions of virus scanners that offer "real time protection"

I would ask that you disable your virus scanner just for a while to see if the problem goes away.

I would also recommend that you at least always disable scanning of gsak.ini and gsak.exe and preferably the whole installation folder of GSAK

Well, I'll be! ;)

Turned off real-time scanning of the GSAK install folder and turned off the problem at the same time. :mad:

I'd read that advice in the past, but I never really paid attention to it because I wasn't having any of the symptoms being described. I'd like to suggest all users disable scanning the GSAK install folder whether you're having problems or not.

Thanks for the help, Clyde.

Steve

OK, I'm using GSAKK and it is obviously capable of doing much more then I am able to do with it. Heck, I don't even understand some of the questions that have been posted here, much less the answers ;) But it does take care of my current needs, and perhaps with time I will be able to grow into it.

Right now, however, I am trying to figure out how to update my database. I can delete it and load a new one, but something tells me there's a simpler way to just overwrite the current records. I have read and reread the GSAK help files and cannot seem to find an answer. Can someone here please help me?

I hope this is an ok place to post this. I am pretty new to caching and extremly computer stupid. I have a garmin legend and have downloaded gsak. I have successfully loaded one cache into gsak, but when I try to send to my gps I keep getting an error that says it "can't init com 2. I have double checked and I am hooked to com 2, and my control panel says it's working normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Advtrskr

Clyde, I just downloaded the latest update, and now the info at the very bottom; "subset: filter", "3943 shown.....", "center poiint = home", and "Counts:....." are too spread out, so that all of the 'counts' aren't shown.

mine are on the far right and I"d like them back in the middle -

according to the message I got from Clyde it won't happen for me but if you can't see the info that is really a different story -

I have successfully loaded one cache into gsak, but when I try to send to my gps I keep getting an error that says it "can't init com 2. I have double checked and I am hooked to com 2, and my control panel says it's working normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Advtrskr

Have you got a PDA sync program that may have grabbed the port at startup?

OK, I'm using GSAKK and it is obviously capable of doing much more then I am able to do with it. Heck, I don't even understand some of the questions that have been posted here, much less the answers ;) But it does take care of my current needs, and perhaps with time I will be able to grow into it.

Right now, however, I am trying to figure out how to update my database. I can delete it and load a new one, but something tells me there's a simpler way to just overwrite the current records. I have read and reread the GSAK help files and cannot seem to find an answer. Can someone here please help me?

Bring up your database. Then under file select open and open the file that contains some or all your updated waypoints. It will merge the two into the database that is open. When done, it will tell you how many were added and how many were updated. That is all there is to it. The new database will have the updated data.

I hope this is an ok place to post this. I am pretty new to caching and extremly computer stupid. I have a garmin legend and have downloaded gsak. I have successfully loaded one cache into gsak, but when I try to send to my gps I keep getting an error that says it "can't init com 2. I have double checked and I am hooked to com 2, and my control panel says it's working normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Advtrskr

Com ports are spooky things. I am running XP. I have a USB Garmin (60cs) and a serial Garmin (GPS III) which I connect via a serial to USB adapter. At first I had to go to the GPS tab in the GSAK program and select ports one by one and attempt a transfer. When I got to com4, IT WORKED. There are probably a thousand explanations out there as to why it is this way but I didn't need a technical explanation, I needed a working transfer. Try changing the com port and then sent the waypoint again, if that doesn't work, change it to the next one and so on and so on. Good luck.

OK, I'm using GSAKK and it is obviously capable of doing much more then I am able to do with it. Heck, I don't even understand some of the questions that have been posted here, much less the answers  ;)  But it does take care of my current needs, and perhaps with time I will be able to grow into it.

Bring up your database. Then under file select open and open the file that contains some or all your updated waypoints. It will merge the two into the database that is open. When done, it will tell you how many were added and how many were updated. That is all there is to it. The new database will have the updated data.

Note that there are some options within the File>Open dialog. These are described in the GSAK help or online here. Click on each option in the help screen to get a full explanation of what each does!

I've got a couple of suggestions and a question. First the suggestions....

1. How about adding a display field of how many times a cache has been found for those (granted, there aren't that many) that allow multiple finds or those that let you claim a new find because it has been moved or changed.

2. When restoring a file from backups and selecting which backup to restore from, it would be very helpful if the date/time stamp of the backup files were also listed. It would make it much easier in deciding which backup file to use.

OK, now the question.......

I'm hoping someone has an idea how to do this. First, I export all my found caches to MapSend where I keep a map of all my finds. OK, no big deal there, especially with the macro I use. So here's the deal. We have a moving cache here. You log a find each time you find it after it has been moved. GSAK does see each find, but are there any ideas on how I can log these in GSAK or change my export so each new found location will show in my MapSend?

Thanks!

I hope this is an ok place to post this.  I am pretty new to caching and extremly computer stupid.  I have a garmin legend and have downloaded gsak.  I have successfully loaded one cache into gsak, but when I try to send to my gps I keep getting an error that says it "can't init com 2.  I have double checked and I am hooked to com 2, and my control panel says it's working normally.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Advtrskr

Com ports are spooky things. I am running XP. I have a USB Garmin (60cs) and a serial Garmin (GPS III) which I connect via a serial to USB adapter. At first I had to go to the GPS tab in the GSAK program and select ports one by one and attempt a transfer. When I got to com4, IT WORKED. There are probably a thousand explanations out there as to why it is this way but I didn't need a technical explanation, I needed a working transfer. Try changing the com port and then sent the waypoint again, if that doesn't work, change it to the next one and so on and so on. Good luck.

Two logical (COM) ports are assigned to one physical plug, i.e. COM1 and COM3 are the same physical plug; COM2 and COM4 are the same physical plug. If there's a conflict between software programs attempting to use the same computer resources (interrupts and memory locaitons), switching the software setting from COM2 to COM4 may resolve the conflict, even though it's still the same physical jack that you plug into.

Are you sure you have the very latest version (5.1.2 - click on Help=>About)

Version 5.1.2 was changed to correct this very problem. That is, it shouldn't matter what your screen width or resolution is, all your counts should be visible in the bottom right of the screen.

If you are sure you have 5.1.2 could you please email me a screen shot.

I've got a couple of suggestions and a question.  First the suggestions....

2.  When restoring a file from backups and selecting which backup to restore from, it would be very helpful if the date/time stamp of the backup files were also listed.  It would make it much easier in deciding which backup file to use.

If you're using the default file, each back-up overwrites the previous one (i.e. there's only one defaultbak file to select). If you're uniquely naming your backups, why not include a date and time in the back up file name, e.g. "GSAK 20050305 2034" for a file saved on March 5, 2005 at 8:34 pm?

OK, now the question.......

I'm hoping someone has an idea how to do this.  First, I export all my found caches to MapSend where I keep a map of all my finds.  OK, no big deal there, especially with the macro I use.  So here's the deal.  We have a moving cache here.  You log a find each time you find it after it has been moved.  GSAK does see each find, but are there any ideas on how I can log these in GSAK or change my export so each new found location will show in my MapSend? 

Thanks!

Since the coordinates change each time the cache is moved, I think you'd have to clone the waypoint each time it's logged and then enter the "corrected" coordinates. Right click the waypoint in grid view and choose "add". Increment the waypoint code (e.g. add a letter or number to the end of the GC code) and enter the new coordinates, check the "found" box, then click OK.

Edited by Kai Team
1. How about adding a display field of how many times a cache has been found for those (granted, there aren't that many) that allow multiple finds or those that let you claim a new find because it has been moved or changed.

I will add this to "the list", but when you say "cache has been found" I assume you mean "found by you" and not just by anybody?

2. When restoring a file from backups and selecting which backup to restore from, it would be very helpful if the date/time stamp of the backup files were also listed. It would make it much easier in deciding which backup file to use.

GSAK already does this. When you open a valid GSAK backup file it will display the date/time stamp and if the backup file contains databases, settings, or both. This information is just below the backup file name you have opened.

I'm hoping someone has an idea how to do this. First, I export all my found caches to MapSend where I keep a map of all my finds. OK, no big deal there, especially with the macro I use. So here's the deal. We have a moving cache here. You log a find each time you find it after it has been moved. GSAK does see each find, but are there any ideas on how I can log these in GSAK or change my export so each new found location will show in my MapSend?

Someone else may come up with a more creative idea, but the way I see to get around this is to add a new waypoint each time it moves. Right click on the cache, slect add, then click on the "clone" button. That way GSAK will put in all the information and you will only have to change what is required. Perhaps changing the waypoint code to the same as the GC one but appending a number or something.

I've got a couple of suggestions and a question.  First the suggestions....

2.  When restoring a file from backups and selecting which backup to restore from, it would be very helpful if the date/time stamp of the backup files were also listed.  It would make it much easier in deciding which backup file to use.

If you're using the default file, each back-up overwrites the previous one (i.e. there's only one defaultbak file to select). If you're uniquely naming your backups, why not include a date and time in the back up file name, e.g. "GSAK 20050305 2034" for a file saved on March 5, 2005 at 8:34 pm?

To clarify - If you are using the auto backups feature, GSAK rolls through 5 versions of backups instead of overlaying a single backup file repeatedly, thereby providing different point-in-time snapshopts. If you are doing a large amount of work on your databases, opening and closing GSAK in the process, and decide a restore is in order, having the date/time stamp displayed for these 5 versions would help in deciding which of these backups will get you back to as close to your desired point of restore as possible without having to go look at the file proprties manually. Thanks.

I will add this to "the list", but when you say "cache has been found" I assume you mean "found by you" and not just by anybody?

GSAK already does this. When you open a valid GSAK backup file it will display the date/time stamp and if the backup file contains databases, settings, or both. This information is just below the backup file name you have opened.

Someone else may come up with a more creative idea, but the way I see to get around this is to add a new waypoint each time it moves. Right click on the cache, slect add, then click on the "clone" button. That way GSAK will put in all the information and you will only have to change what is required. Perhaps changing the waypoint code to the same as the GC one but appending a number or something.

Thanks, ClydE.

Yes, I meant 'Found by me'. I was thinking of just displaying the number of finds (maybe instead of just a checkbox in the found column if there is more than 1) and have the 'found by me date' show the latest date found.

Sorry, didn't see that info on the backups. I'll have to pay closer attention next time ;)

Didn't know about the 'clone' feature either. Cool stuff. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks!

"Can't init Com x" is a generic error message, and could mean lots of things. First, make sure your Garmin is set to Garmin interface. Then make sure the cable is connected correctly and securely on both ends. I find that the connector on the GPS doesn't always connect completely, and sometimes resetting it helps.

What are you using on the PC? Is it a real com port, or are you using a USB-Serial adapter plugged into a USB port? If the latter, some adapters simply don't work with Garmins. The drivers are flaky and it's impossible to make them work. A serial Palm can hog the serial port, and you may have to disable the hotsync manager temporarily. PPCs may do this also, but I don't use one.

Hi, I have a quick question.

When viewing a cache page there are sometimes spoiler pic to help you find the cache when reception is not that great. In the past all I had to do was to make sure I had the pluker set to the right depth and I would get them but, now when I create my HTML files with GSAK I don't get the links for the pics.

How can I add the spoiler pics when creating my html files?

Armando

Clyde,

I'm trying to export all caches in my region to Mapsource, using custom icons for the caches. I have the GarminOther.txt file set up with "Custom 0" up "Custom 63" (I have a Quest, with 64 custom waypoints) and the export is using them in the way I want. I export to mapsource version 6, but Mapsource 6.5 is complaining that the file is not a valid Mapsource file...

I guess the export is somehow not producing a valid file when custom waypoints are used... probably because the MPS file format doesn't support them. Is it possible to support the GDB file format and thus the custom waypoints?

(yes, I know the custom waypoints get scr*wed up when transferring them from mapsource to my Quest... and I know I can use other symbols and do a multi-edit, but then I need to use a conversion table and I don;t like that)

Edited by elsinga
I'm trying to export all caches in my region to Mapsource, using custom icons for the caches. I have the GarminOther.txt file set up with "Custom 0" up "Custom 63" (I have a Quest, with 64 custom waypoints) and the export is using them in the way I want. I export to mapsource version 6, but Mapsource 6.5 is complaining that the file is not a valid Mapsource file...

I guess the export is somehow not producing a valid file when custom waypoints are used... probably because the MPS file format doesn't support them. Is it possible to support the GDB file format and thus the custom waypoints?

(yes, I know the custom waypoints get scr*wed up when transferring them from mapsource to my Quest... and I know I can use other symbols and do a multi-edit, but then I need to use a conversion table and I don;t like that)

For the reason whey the GDB format is not supported please see This post

However, MapSource 6.5 does support GPX files. So to get around this problem set up your icons how you would like using the "GPS=>Send waypoints"

Now Generate a GPX file and remember to tick the box "Make symbols same as last GPS send"

Now load this generated GPX file into MapSource 6.5

Edited by ClydeE
For the reason whey the GDB format is not supported please see This post

However, MapSource 6.5 does support GPX files. So to get around this problem set up your icons how you would like using the "GPS=>Send waypoints"

Now Generate a GPX file and remember to tick the box "Make symbols same as last GPS send"

Now load this generated GPX file into MapSource 6.5

the GarTrax program seems to load the GDB file... IIRC. Maybe mailing the author will help?

And: the "make symbols same as last GPS send" does not appear to be a feature of the GPX export screen in 5.0.4. Now downloading 5.1.2 to see if it is in there. :D Yep, it is... Going to test it! Thanks!

Tested and working. :D One minor bug: exporting does not use the priority setting for found/placed/archived. Mine is set to placed prio 1, found 2, archived 3 and the rest as 4, but the exported symbol for a found and archived cache is the archived symbol... not the found symbol. :D

Now if only GSAK would show the xImage bitmaps for the custom icons, or 9as suggested earlier) could use a description for the custom icons. :D

Edited by elsinga

Okay, I use Cachemate on the our. There, I export my founds via

>>from Smittyware.com

CM2GPX

This program is used to convert CacheMate backup or import PDB files to equivalent GPX files. Extensions specific to Geocaching.com and CacheMate are automatically used as needed. Filter options are available, to selectively convert waypoints.

>>

Result: I have a GPX File of the caches I found. I want to get those caches in that GPX file marked as found in my main default GSAK Database, with the date of today.

Is there an easy way to achieve this?

Because on cache runs with 40 to 100 founds per day, it is much work :D to mark these caches as found by hand in order not to hunt a previously found cache again the next days.

As I use GSAK to plan the cacheroutes for the next day via MS Street&Trips, I need this information to not export the already found caches.

I found a bug in 5.1.2: I cannot get the export GPX/LOC icon to go into the Speedbar. In my setup it isn;t there and dragging it from the Customize Speedbar window will not move it, I get a forbidden icon instead. And no, the button isn;t already there. Checked again (brainwave...)... and found it *under* another icon... hmmm.... maybe you could avoid that? :D

Edited by elsinga

I've looked through the archives and the help and I don't see the feature I'm looking for. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.

I want to store the ZIP files that I get from GC.com in a folder. Every time I launch GSAK, I want it to look at the ZIP files in that folder, determine if it has loaded them or not (based on timestamp, not name) and automatically load them. This will keep me from having to load multiple ZIP files separately.

Is this already available and I'm just using the wrong keywords?

I've looked through the archives and the help and I don't see the feature I'm looking for. Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.

I want to store the ZIP files that I get from GC.com in a folder. Every time I launch GSAK, I want it to look at the ZIP files in that folder, determine if it has loaded them or not (based on timestamp, not name) and automatically load them. This will keep me from having to load multiple ZIP files separately.

Is this already available and I'm just using the wrong keywords?

Yes you can do this.

Try Tools/Options/Advanced.

Here you will see an option to 'run a macro on startup'. I suggest creating a macro that opens ZIP files and deletes them after loading them into GSAK (select the delete files loaded option). You will need to give your settings a name and save them at the File/Open GPX/LOC file window.

For help on automating GSAK & creating macros look at GSAK on-line help pages - particularly this section. which pretty much detials exactly how to do what you wish.

HTH

Edited to add the 2nd URL.

Edited by Motley Crew

RUNPGM:

Is there a way to make this wait for the program you run to complete?

I launch GPX2Maplet and then MightySync (I'm glad I found out about this - it has made a lot of steps I used to do manually a whole lot easier) in my macro after exporting my hitlist.

I don't have it set to automatic, because I found that it seems to want to put the GPX files files on the PDA right as GSAK starts importing them at the beginning of the script (because I start GSAK right afte I detach the messages from my email, and this isn't enough time for MightySync to do it's thing in between), so I decided to launch MightySync at the end, but then I noticed they both launch even though the first hasn't exited. It hasn't caused any conflicts, but it seems to make more sense use a wait option to avoid a potential conflict.

RUNPGM:

I launch GPX2Maplet and then MightySync (I'm glad I found out about this - it has made a lot of steps I used to do manually a whole lot easier) in my macro after exporting my hitlist.

I don't have it set to automatic, because I found that it seems to want to put the GPX files files on the PDA right as GSAK starts importing them at the beginning of the script (because I start GSAK right afte I detach the messages from my email, and this isn't enough time for MightySync to do it's thing in between), so I decided to launch MightySync at the end, but then I noticed they both launch even though the first hasn't exited. It hasn't caused any conflicts, but it seems to make more sense use a wait option to avoid a potential conflict.

The only thing I can think of would be to put a "PAUSE" statement after your first RUNPGM. This would require that you click to get the macro to continue (i.e. the macro would not restart on its own), but it would allow you to pause the macro until after the first program runs.

For help on automating GSAK & creating macros look at GSAK on-line help pages - particularly this section. which pretty much detials exactly how to do what you wish.

HTH

Perfect. Thanks for the pointers.

This may not be the most elegant solution, but it beats dragging and dropping 15 ZIP files onto GSAK individually.

I have two batch files. One called LaunchGSAK.bat with

cd c:\gps

del /Q c:\gps\launch.txt

for %%i in (*.zip) do CALL C:\GPS\ENUMZIPS.BAT %%i

ECHO EXIT >> c:\gps\launch.txt

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\GSAK\GSAK.EXE" /RUN c:\gps\launch.txt

DEL *.ZIP

del /Q c:\gps\launch.txt

The other is a one liner called ENUMZIPS.BAT with

ECHO LOAD FILE=C:\GPS\%1 >> c:\gps\launch.txt

There is supposed to be a way to do the call statement with a label to the current batch file, but that never worked for me. If I could, I wouldn't need the second batch file.

This may not be the most elegant solution, but it beats dragging and dropping 15 ZIP files onto GSAK individually.

I don't know if you are aware but GSAK can 'Open' a folder of files.

If you select File/Open GPX/Loc you will see 2 radio buttons at the top of the window; one is for 'load a single file' and the other for 'load a folder of files'.

These options can be 'saved' and used in your macros (see the settings/save section at the lower part of the Open GPX/Loc file window).

clyde,

I'm a new user and would like to export waypoints to Delorme SA2005. When the dialog box opens in GSAK, it suggests one use SA export as if you use that program to create a file in GSAK to export to SA? Am I misinterpreting this?

Lastly, which tags to you use to export both the waypoint code (GCXXXX) and it's name without the name of the individual who placed the cache?

Thanx, R Henry (SJClimber)

Okay, I use Cachemate on the our. There, I export my founds via

>>from Smittyware.com

CM2GPX

This program is used to convert CacheMate backup or import PDB files to equivalent GPX files. Extensions specific to Geocaching.com and CacheMate are automatically used as needed. Filter options are available, to selectively convert waypoints.

>>

Result: I have a GPX File of the caches I found. I want to get those caches in that GPX file marked as found in my main default GSAK Database, with the date of today.

Is there an easy way to achieve this?

Because on cache runs with 40 to 100 founds per day, it is much work  :D to mark these caches as found by hand in order not to hunt a previously found cache again the next days.

As I use GSAK to plan the cacheroutes for the next day via MS Street&Trips, I need this information to not export the already found caches.

Could you please email me one of these CM2GPX generated GPX files that has these founds - I will add support for this in a future release.

However I have a work around for you now. Not flash, but I think you should find it easier that updating 40 or so finds at a time manually.

1. Load the CM2GPX generated GPX file (just your founds) into GSAK using the settings shown in the picture below

2. Set a filter on User flag = set

3. Do a Global replace (Database=>Global Replace) replacing the "Found Status" to "found"

If this is something you do often then I suggest you combine these 3 steps into a macro then add as a macro button to the tool bar - then it is all just one mouse click away.

load1.png

Edited by ClydeE
RUNPGM:

I don't have it set to automatic, because I found that it seems to want to put the GPX files files on the PDA right as GSAK starts importing them at the beginning of the script (because I start GSAK right afte I detach the messages from my email, and this isn't enough time for MightySync to do it's thing in between), so I decided to launch MightySync at the end, but then I noticed they both launch even though the first hasn't exited.  It hasn't caused any conflicts, but it seems to make more sense use a wait option to avoid a potential conflict.

The only thing I can think of would be to put a "PAUSE" statement after your first RUNPGM. This would require that you click to get the macro to continue (i.e. the macro would not restart on its own), but it would allow you to pause the macro until after the first program runs.

Yes, this would be the best work around for the moment.

In a future version I will allow an option for the RUNPGM to wait until it has finished by adding a token something like:

[<Wait=No|Yes>]

clyde,

I'm a new user and would like to export waypoints to Delorme SA2005. When the dialog box opens in GSAK, it suggests one use SA export as if you use that program to create a file in GSAK to export to SA? Am I misinterpreting this?

Lastly, which tags to you use to export both the waypoint code (GCXXXX) and it's name without the name of the individual who placed the cache?

Thanx, R Henry (SJClimber)

No, for SA2005 you can use the Delorme Export. Only use the Street Atlas export if you have SA version 9

One of the reasons for confusion here is the support for custom icons. SA 2004/2005 does not support custom icons (only the plus). This just means you can't use the "custom icons" for this export. However, you can still use any of the shipped icons when doing this export.

I don't know if you are aware but GSAK can 'Open' a folder of files.

If you select File/Open GPX/Loc you will see 2 radio buttons at the top of the window; one is for 'load a single file' and the other for 'load a folder of files'.

These options can be 'saved' and used in your macros (see the settings/save section at the lower part of the Open GPX/Loc file window).

Doh! I never noticed that. I get into patterns and I develop a kind of tunnel vision.

Thanks again.

Hey all, Clyde..great program! I used it for a while, and finally registered recently as we got more involved with caching in our region.

I have an interesting situation here...I use GeoToad to grab caches in my region nightly. GeoToad produces a .gpx file. I import these into GSAK, but some elements of data don't appear to import.

When I (lightly) compare the .gpx output file vs the sample.gpx file included in the gsak package, the files *look* similar, but certain data (container, last found, last log..etc) don't import - even though they appear to be properly wrapped with the appropriate xml tag.

Any thoughts? I can provide you with my output files if need be.

Again, awesome program! Thanks!

PS - Apologies to all if this was discussed before, I searched for a few hours and couldn't find anything - a direct to the appropriate thread would be appreciated.

Brad Grier

brat&testy (on GC.com)

http://bratandtesty.blogspot.com

I have an interesting situation here...I use GeoToad to grab caches in my region nightly. GeoToad produces a .gpx file. I import these into GSAK, but some elements of data don't appear to import.

When I (lightly) compare the .gpx output file vs the sample.gpx file included in the gsak package, the files *look* similar, but certain data (container, last found, last log..etc) don't import - even though they appear to be properly wrapped with the appropriate xml tag.

Any thoughts? I can provide you with my output files if need be.

Again, awesome program! Thanks!

PS - Apologies to all if this was discussed before, I searched for a few hours and couldn't find anything - a direct to the appropriate thread would be appreciated.

Hmm, I haven't looked at the Goetoad files for a while so something might have changed.

Could you please email me one of these files so I can interrogate. Thx.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions. I got it to load tonight. I am not sure what the problem was for sure, but who cares, it works! Now I just need to study some more and learn how to change names and all that stuff.

Advtrskr

Hi,

In a previous version of GSAK (prior to 5.1.2 - not sure how old) when I exported the database as HTML (File>Export>HTML Files...) or CTL-H, all the cache pages had a URL containing the GCxxxx code as part of the URL (eg .../GCABCD.HTML). This seems to have been replaced by a number unrelated to the cache code (eg. .../42.HTML). This is not very useful to me because I used to be able to go from one cache to the next by just over-typing the new GC code in the URL. Now I always have to go to the next cache page via the "Waypoint Code" in the "Master Index". This is MUCH slower and quite annoying to have to do.

Am I missing an option somewhere? How do I change the generated HTML to create URLs with GCxxx.html instead of nnn.html?

This can be pasted into Tools..options...HTML to allow you to view the waypoint by Google maps (stil in Beta but I plain like their look).. i think this works OK, will switch to a fully zoomed view.

Google maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat%2C%lon&&hl=en&spn=0.005,0.005

This can be pasted into Tools..options...HTML to allow you to view the waypoint by Google maps (stil in Beta but I plain like their look).. i think this works OK, will switch to a fully zoomed view.

Google maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat%2C%lon&&hl=en&spn=0.005,0.005

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for UK locations :o . Maybe that will come with time.

This can be pasted into Tools..options...HTML  to allow you to view the waypoint by Google maps (stil in Beta but I plain like their look).. i think this works OK, will switch to a fully zoomed view.

Maingray -

I tried it (in the USA) and it took me to the correct map for the area, but did not display any marker for the cache. I used a few caches with known locations and they would be at the center of the map when it first appears, but it's hard to keep track of where the cache would be when you pan or zoom.

Is this normal behavior for this site or should it be showing a marker for the waypoint?