GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

However, within the last month or so - I seem to have "lost" a find:  My gc.com count exceeds my GSAK count by 1, and I just can't seem to track it down.  Silly, I know -- but annoying, as well.

I've had the same thing happen - tracked it down to a cache I'd logged twice - gc.com will count it twice, GSAK once. I believe that this will still happen when the coordinates and name of the cache have been changed - as long as the cache ID # is the same GSAK will only see it as one find.

No, GSAK should take care of multiple found logs on the same cache.

However, this will only work if:

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

2. You tell GSAK correctly how to match your found logs.

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden and found" caches filled out correctly. For more information see the help file or view this section online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Hey

Im trying to do some benchmarking and with caches I can use the geocaching eBook and my GPS to find the site. With benchmarking I'm having to have my laptop running in the car to get the site specific data. The only option I can find is to view each offline page seperately, save to a plain html file, and then I Can copy it to my pocket pc for use without the laptop, security, power usage and weight being big issues to me.

Please tell me there is a way I Can export the offline data in the way I Can view on my pocket pc. A bulk html export, ebook builder, anything.

Cheers

Mark

Hey

Im trying to do some benchmarking and with caches I can use the geocaching eBook and my GPS to find the site. With benchmarking I'm having to have my laptop running in the car to get the site specific data. The only option I can find is to view each offline page seperately, save to a plain html file, and then I Can copy it to my pocket pc for use without the laptop, security, power usage and weight being big issues to me.

Please tell me there is a way I Can export the offline data in the way I Can view on my pocket pc. A bulk html export, ebook builder, anything.

Cheers

Mark

Mark, take a look at this link for information on how to obtain county-wide archives of datasheets from the NGS site. The link will tell you how to convert that data to a gpx format that can be imported into GSAK, from whence you can handle it as you do your caches. (as you follow directions, once you have the gpx file just go to GSAK and forget the rest).

If you search the archives in the benchmark forum, there are some threads discussing how we try to adapt GSAK to BM data.

I don't think that is quite correct.

GSAK will indeed count double logs. The problem comes about with the logs in GSAK. You can kill the log on GC and it decrements the count but you still have to kill the find in the GSAK log. This log won't get updated in a PQ until the cache page itself gets updated by someone logging it. I found I could log a note - then go back and delete the note. This caused the page to update and GSAK balanced with GC. You can also edit the GSAK log. You have to do a search for your cache name until you find it - then delete it.

I have had to fix this problem a couple times.

It can be fixed if you take take your time. The easies way to find the double is searching the PQ for your cache name - finding it 2 times on the same cache. Or see my posting below -

/cc\

Edited by CompuCash
However, within the last month or so - I seem to have "lost" a find:  My gc.com count exceeds my GSAK count by 1, and I just can't seem to track it down.  Silly, I know -- but annoying, as well.

I've had the same thing happen - tracked it down to a cache I'd logged twice - gc.com will count it twice, GSAK once. I believe that this will still happen when the coordinates and name of the cache have been changed - as long as the cache ID # is the same GSAK will only see it as one find.

1. Your GSAK database is being updated with GPX files from gc.com (not loc files)

To get item 2 correct make sure you have the "method for matching hidden and found" caches filled out correctly. For more information see the help file or view this section online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Clyde -

maybe I am reading it wrong - but your post seems to contradict what you wrote to me before - and what I wrote above -

Hi Dave,

GSAK allows for multiple finds on the one cache (which is allowed on some

caches) What this means is indeed you have a cache where there is more than one

found log by you (or whatever you have used to match your found caches)

You can easily find this by using the log filter.

See the examples in the help on log filters how to do this or let me know

if you can't work it out.

Regards

Clyde

Clyde -

maybe I am reading it wrong - but your post seems to contradict what you wrote to me before - and what I wrote above -

Hi Dave,

GSAK allows for multiple finds on the one cache (which is allowed on some

caches) What this means is indeed you have a cache where there is more than one

found log by you (or whatever you have used to match your found caches)

You can easily find this by using the log filter.

See the examples in the help on log filters how to do this or let me know

if you can't work it out.

Regards

Clyde

Sorry, I don't see the contradiction.

In the first quote "Hard Oiler" is saying that GSAK will only count multiple finds once - which is incorrect. I am stating here in my reply that providing you have set up GSAK correctly for matching who you are, then GSAK will count multiple finds correctly.

The second quote is just re affirming this. However, in the second quote we are looking at a situation when we have multiple found logs that perhaps we don't want and therefor will need to find the incorrect logs to delete them so your found count will match gc.com

Edited by ClydeE

How do I change waypoint icons so that they upload to the GPS unit as desired? "Markwell"?

I tried some searches and came up zero. I did it once, to change the default GSAK "Aerial", to the "Small City" icon, to better pintpoint the loc. The small city icon ends up being hidden under the big arrow on close searches before I go to "the numbers". For most searches, I prefer the Meridian Crossed square, or whatever else, and wish to designate other types of icons as well, like Home, etc. I know, tell me to get a Garmin... ;) I've looked it up in Help and get this , but can't find how to get there. I've only been enjoying this luxury of GSAK for a week or so, I'm sure even a newbie to GSAK could help guide me. Sorry 'bout the dumb question, but I'm sure to have more. :unsure:

Thanks - KF6JML

Feature request: Currently one can select an action when double-clicking on a waypoint. I'd like to specify different actions for shift-doubleclick and ctrl-doubleclick as well, so that I can double-click for offline, shift-doubleclick for online and ctrl-doubleclick for mappoint. Catch my drift, Clyde?

Feature request:  Currently one can select an action when double-clicking on a waypoint.  I'd like to specify different actions for shift-doubleclick and ctrl-doubleclick as well, so that I can double-click for offline, shift-doubleclick for online and ctrl-doubleclick for mappoint.  Catch my drift, Clyde?

Yep. I will add it "to the list". Though you can work around this by adding macro buttons for each of these.

edit: Added work around.

Edited by ClydeE

Need to change gears & topic so I could ask a question which was on another thread pertaining to the 60CS. It seems that the resolution could be found here on the GSAK thread.

:) I currently have a Garmin 60CS with the latest version updates and even the XImage patch. I also am a Registered user of GSAK (which I think is incredible), however, with the 60CS the user has the option to use the special Geocache feature. My question is as follows:

Now that I have created my custom icons through XImage, when I try to employ the new "Traditional Cache" box icon instead of the default "treasure" box icon the 60cs does not reconize the waypoints any longer in the "geocache" feature. Being so that I am downloading about 500 waypoints at a clip it is nearly impossible to manually change each waypoint to the "Traditional cache box" symbol under the "Find Waypoint" screen so the "Find Geocache" screen will recognize them.

Is there a way through GSAK to change the symbol to a custom symbol for the 60cs?

When I select "GPS" - "Send Waypoints" from the tool bar on GSAK, I am then given the option to "Change" each waypoint icon individually but am not allowed to select a "Custom" waypoint option. I am currently using the "Traditional = Geocache" (which defaults to the closed Treasure Box). I realize that in Parenthesis it says "Not all symbols are supported on all GPSs" but you know we're always looking for a way to get what we can't have so I was wondering if their was a way to make the default "Treasure Box" icon my custom "Traditional Cache" icon.

I hope this was fairly clear and thank you for any help.

Need to change gears & topic so I could ask a question which was on another thread pertaining to the 60CS. It seems that the resolution could be found here on the GSAK thread.

:laughing: I currently have a Garmin 60CS with the latest version updates and even the XImage patch. I also am a Registered user of GSAK (which I think is incredible), however, with the 60CS the user has the option to use the special Geocache feature. My question is as follows:

Now that I have created my custom icons through XImage, when I try to employ the new "Traditional Cache" box icon instead of the default "treasure" box icon the 60cs does not reconize the waypoints any longer in the "geocache" feature. Being so that I am downloading about 500 waypoints at a clip it is nearly impossible to manually change each waypoint to the "Traditional cache box" symbol under the "Find Waypoint" screen so the "Find Geocache" screen will recognize them.

Is there a way through GSAK to change the symbol to a custom symbol for the 60cs?

When I select "GPS" - "Send Waypoints" from the tool bar on GSAK, I am then given the option to "Change" each waypoint icon individually but am not allowed to select a "Custom" waypoint option. I am currently using the "Traditional = Geocache" (which defaults to the closed Treasure Box). I realize that in Parenthesis it says "Not all symbols are supported on all GPSs" but you know we're always looking for a way to get what we can't have so I was wondering if their was a way to make the default "Treasure Box" icon my custom "Traditional Cache" icon.

Custom icons for the 60cs are supported in GSAK by adding the custom icons to the "GarminOther.txt" file.

For more information please see the example in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs32540.htm

Probably doing something wrong :laughing: ...I thought I would try the feature to EXPORT to GPX file using the "make symbols same as last GPS send" check box on. I had assumed that all the icons for the non-geocache waypoints downloaded from the GPS would be Exported to the GPX file with the same sysmbol that was downloaded.... But every waypoint in the EXPORTED file has <sym>Geocache</sym>

<type>Geocache|Other</type> ???? Or did I mis-understand the EXPORT option???? GREAT SOFTWARE! BTW :unsure:

ClydeE Posted on Apr 19 2005, 03:52 PM

QUOTE (MDChecker @ Apr 20 2005, 02:51 AM)

I currently have a Garmin 60CS with the latest version updates and even the XImage patch. I also am a Registered user of GSAK (which I think is incredible), however, with the 60CS the user has the option to use the special Geocache feature. My question is as follows:

Custom icons for the 60cs are supported in GSAK by adding the custom icons to the "GarminOther.txt" file.

For more information please see the example in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs32540.htm 

ClydeE you my man are a pure GENIUS. :laughing: It took me a minute to figure out the number correlation between the symbols and I have no computer savy but if you can walk me through it then anyone can do it. It worked like a charm! I was even able to find my Garmin.Txt file and understand it. I am purely delighted right now. I say it again...

Anyone who hasn't purchased your product is a fool !!!

I can't thank you enough for the work you have done and standing behind it - especially here in the middle of the night on the east coast.

Please keep up the good work!

Thanks Again.

ClydeE Posted on Apr 19 2005, 03:52 PM

QUOTE (MDChecker @ Apr 20 2005, 02:51 AM)

I currently have a Garmin 60CS with the latest version updates and even the XImage patch. I also am a Registered user of GSAK (which I think is incredible), however, with the 60CS the user has the option to use the special Geocache feature. My question is as follows:

ClydeE you my man are a pure GENIUS. :laughing: It took me a minute to figure out the number correlation between the symbols and I have no computer savy but if you can walk me through it then anyone can do it. It worked like a charm! I was even able to find my Garmin.Txt file and understand it. I am purely delighted right now. I say it again...

Anyone who hasn't purchased your product is a fool !!!

I can't thank you enough for the work you have done and standing behind it - especially here in the middle of the night on the east coast.

Please keep up the good work!

Thanks Again.

well, sort of --- a little rought though

I was just sitting here looking for some caches - double click white square for unfound - click distance - and nicely arranged -

Says to my wife - says I "Gawd this is easy to use!"

thanks Clyde -

Probably doing something wrong :laughing: ...I thought I would try the feature to EXPORT to GPX file using the "make symbols same as last GPS send" check box on. I had assumed that all the icons for the non-geocache waypoints downloaded from the GPS would be Exported to  the GPX file with the same sysmbol that was downloaded.... But every waypoint in the EXPORTED file has <sym>Geocache</sym>

<type>Geocache|Other</type> ???? Or did I mis-understand the EXPORT option???? GREAT SOFTWARE! BTW  :unsure:

This option generates the same symbols as your last GPSr send

You are refering to waypoints downloaded from your GPS. Unfortunately when waypoints are downloaded from your GPSr, GPSBabel and hence GSAK has no way of knowing that xyz icon is a Multi, Traditional cache or whatever. When you download waypoints from your GPS they will allways get the cache type of "other".

Edited by ClydeE
Is there some "light" (and free) version of GSAK around? I don't need most of the advanced features - I'm just looking for a few functionalities of the type "select waypoints with a certain area".

(I downloaded the full version but don't like the nag screens)

No, Somthing like watcher may be better suited to your purposes.

I downloaded GSAK a few months ago but haven't used it. All I did was transfer the waypoints from my GPSr.

How can I delete all of the waypoints so I can start all over?

I want to be able to create groups of caches found, not found and the "Base" waypoints that aren't geocaching related.

Yes, I have. I feel GSAK does the job of managing waypoints better, but maybe I'm only basing this on good criticism from geocachers...

Then show support for the one that created, and maintains, the program you like, and buy it! Some programs don't require support since they don't continue to grow and respond to us users like Clyde/Mr GSAK does. I don't think laying out $20 for a program that makes it easier to use a $100 - $400+ GPSr is an outrageous expenditure. If you don't feel that way, stick with EasyGPS. As they say, you get what you pay for. I found GSAK made my geocaching experience so much more enjoyable, I purchased a second subscription!

I downloaded GSAK a few months ago but haven't used it. All I did was transfer the waypoints from my GPSr.

How can I delete all of the waypoints so I can start all over?

I want to be able to create groups of caches found, not found and the "Base" waypoints that aren't geocaching related.

If I understand your quetion that is what the 'database' tab is for on the top line in GSAK. Start GSAK and select 'database' menu, then select 'new'. Put in the name you like and click 'ok'. You will then have a blank database and in essence, be starting over. The nice thing is your old database will still be around (probably called default) for when you need it in the future. Believe me, it is nice to have older or original databases of waypoints.

I'm just looking for a few functionalities of the type "select waypoints with a certain area".

GSAK will do this for you.

I started off using GSAK some time ago and have found myself slowly using more of the 'advanced' features as I become more confident and got more 'used' to the program. Hell, I've even written a couple of macros too and what a satisfying feeling that was. :laughing:

Give it a go, persevere and try to walk before you run :laughing:

Probably doing something wrong :laughing: ...I thought I would try the feature to EXPORT to GPX file using the "make symbols same as last GPS send" check box on. I had assumed that all the icons for the non-geocache waypoints downloaded from the GPS would be Exported to  the GPX file with the same sysmbol that was downloaded.... But every waypoint in the EXPORTED file has <sym>Geocache</sym>

<type>Geocache|Other</type> ???? Or did I mis-understand the EXPORT option???? GREAT SOFTWARE! BTW  :laughing:

This option generates the same symbols as your last GPSr send

You are refering to waypoints downloaded from your GPS. Unfortunately when waypoints are downloaded from your GPSr, GPSBabel and hence GSAK has no way of knowing that xyz icon is a Multi, Traditional cache or whatever. When you download waypoints from your GPS they will allways get the cache type of "other".

Gotcha... Thanks! :rolleyes:

Yes, I have. I feel GSAK does the job of managing waypoints better, but maybe I'm only basing this on good criticism from geocachers...

Then show support for the one that created, and maintains, the program you like, and buy it! Some programs don't require support since they don't continue to grow and respond to us users like Clyde/Mr GSAK does. I don't think laying out $20 for a program that makes it easier to use a $100 - $400+ GPSr is an outrageous expenditure. If you don't feel that way, stick with EasyGPS. As they say, you get what you pay for. I found GSAK made my geocaching experience so much more enjoyable, I purchased a second subscription!

I have to second what wornout said. You ask Clyde to recommend a competing product, and when he and others graciously do, you whine that you like GSAK better.

Either pay the $20 to support Clyde's outstanding work (an amazing bargain), live with the GSAK nag screens, or use free software with less functionality. But please don't insult Clyde and clutter up this thread with requests for free GSAK functionality - Clyde has to make a living, and GSAK is an incredible bargain!

Has anyone run into problems with running GSAK on PC using the AMD 64 Athlon chipset using XP-Pro for and OS. The splash page loads and then become unresponsive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank.

I'm running the current release of GSAK on XP Pro on an AMD Athlon 64 system with no problems.

Has anyone run into problems with running GSAK on PC using the AMD 64 Athlon chipset using XP-Pro for and OS. The splash page loads and then become unresponsive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank.

I have just about tracked all these type of problems down to virus scanners software running.

The fix is to disable the GSAK installation folder from real time protection in your scanning software

Please also see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1389954 and

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1297746

Okay, I have less than 36 hours to creat maps for a planned road trip. Downloaded GSAK. When I start it up I get a real nice perpetual hour glass and task manager says not responding. I closed just about every windows progam. I have XP Pro. Any suggestions? oh, and I tried the remove and reinstall method too.

Okay, I have less than 36 hours to creat maps for a planned road trip. Downloaded GSAK. When I start it up I get a real nice perpetual hour glass and task manager says not responding. I closed just about every windows progam. I have XP Pro. Any suggestions? oh, and I tried the remove and reinstall method too.

Pleas see the first post previous to your question :laughing:

Okay, please translate, does that mean disable virus protection during installation?

Please read the posts referenced in that post.

You do not have to install GSAK again.

If you wish, you can try disabling your virus protection, run GSAK, then once GSAK is running, enable it back again. However, I still recommend you disable "real time" scanning of the GSAK install folder. Different virus scanning software define "real time" scanning differently, but basically it is the option where all files are checked when you try to open them. This is not the same as when files are checked in batch or scheduled scan (weekly or monthly for example). There is no need to disable/ignore the GSAK folder for this option

Okay, I am very confused by the reference to disable real time virus scanning. How do you do that? Or how do you do it for one folder? The comma delimiting reference was from the article that sent me to your product. Is there anything else I need to do with the gpx file before I import it once this installs?

GH, disabling real-time scanning varies depending on exactly what virus scanner you're using. Normally in the options under real-time scanning, you'll see something like "exclusions" or "do not scan these files" and if you follow that along you'll see how to do it. Alternately, if you're in a rush, you could just shut down your virus scanner altogether while you're getting GSAK going, and re-enable it after you close it.

Once it's running, just import the GPX file directly using the File/Load GPX/LOC dialog. Navigate to your GPX file from there and accept the defaults. GSAK will read the native format right in, and you'll have a real pretty list of caches.

This is a bit of a hunch, but it turns out that when I loaded GSAK it was actually before I had loaded Norton Internet Security. (Just upgraded my box and it was time to transfer apps... and of course spend some time reconfiguring...) Turns out that today I gave it another shot and it runs fine. What I noticed is that I had opted (though I am not sure if wise) to turn off the Microsoft firewall and run Norton's instead. GSAK does appear to want to connect through the internet so maybe the hang-up we are experiencing has something to do with the firewall configuration. Just a possibility...

Okay,  well I have uninstalled and reinstalled with Norton disabled.  i still have the hourglass.  Any more suggestions.  I will try it on my laptop and see if it works there.

It's not a question of disabling Norton AV during the install. You have to disable Norton AV real time protection when you run GSAK (or disable real time scanning - called "Auto Protect" by Norton, of the GSAK folder or at least the exe file). In essence, the virus scanner is doing an infinite scan when GSAK starts up, which is why you get the perpetual hourglass.

In Norton Antivirus 2005:

1) click on the "Options" button

2) Under "System", click on "Auto Protect"

3) Click on "Exclusions"

4) Click on "New" and navigate to the GSAK folder (probably c:\Program Files\GSAK).

5) Click OK and then OK again.

This should solve your problem, if it's Norton Antivirus (which as Clyde said, it usually is!).

Is there anyway to only show only the icons that my GPS can support,

I have a Garmin etrex (Yellow one), and when I upload the waypoints via GSAK I have many different choices.

Can these choices be restricted to only the icons I have available, it would make life easier.

I see that there is a garmin.txt file, can this be edited to remove the unavailable icons?

Thanks

Gary

Is there anyway to only show only the icons that my GPS can support,

I have a Garmin etrex (Yellow one), and when I upload the waypoints via GSAK I have many different choices.

Can these choices be restricted to only the icons I have available, it would make life easier.

I see that there is a garmin.txt file, can this be edited to remove the unavailable icons?

Yes, but when you get it just the way you want it be sure to keep a backup outside the GSAK install folder. The file garmin.txt may be overridden with the next update.

In a future update I will address this issue making this easier and more transparent for the user.