GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I wouldn't expect Google maps, nor USAPhotomaps (through Terraserver) to start providing maps or aerial photos of other countries soon. Few countries make that data available for free, if it's even available at all. You can't provide what doesn't exist, or isn't provided. If you want to see maps and aerial photos of your country, then you need to talk to your government, not Google.

I hope this hasn't been asked before (in which case please feel free to shout at me):

I just got a new 60cs (1000 waypoints!), so I registered GSAK (having played with it unregistered for a few weeks) because it's clearly going to be essential!

My database contains my 280 caches found, 15 placed, and also the 80-plus waypoints which I uploaded from my Geko 201 (now for sale). I uploaded all of those to my new GPSr, all is fine.

Today I went out and placed a coupleof caches. So as far as I was concerned, my GPSr now contains 4 or 5 more waypoints than GSAK (cache, car park, etc). I told GSAK to get the WPs, assuming that only the new ones would change anything.

Oops! Apparently every WP I uploaded got a new name. I presume this is the "smart name". So most of them appeared twice in the database.

It wasn't too much of a problem to clean them up, because they all had the "other" type icon, and almost none of my existing WPs had that. But it was a surprise...

I can see two ways that might prevent this. Maybe they already exist ?

1. A rule to tell GSAK to derive the smart name from the WP name (GCxxxx), not the title of the cache

2. A rule to tell the WP import function not to create "similar" waypoints - whatever that might mean. (I think the previous idea might be easier to implement!)

Is there a general setting like "Smart name always = <value>" where I could set <value> to, say, %code ?

Thanks

Nick

I hope this hasn't been asked before (in which case please feel free to shout at me):

I just got a new 60cs (1000 waypoints!), so I registered GSAK (having played with it unregistered for a few weeks) because it's clearly going to be essential!

My database contains my 280 caches found, 15 placed, and also the 80-plus waypoints which I uploaded from my Geko 201 (now for sale). I uploaded all of those to my new GPSr, all is fine.

Today I went out and placed a coupleof caches. So as far as I was concerned, my GPSr now contains 4 or 5 more waypoints than GSAK (cache, car park, etc). I told GSAK to get the WPs, assuming that only the new ones would change anything.

Oops! Apparently every WP I uploaded got a new name. I presume this is the "smart name". So most of them appeared twice in the database.

It wasn't too much of a problem to clean them up, because they all had the "other" type icon, and almost none of my existing WPs had that. But it was a surprise...

I can see two ways that might prevent this. Maybe they already exist ?

1. A rule to tell GSAK to derive the smart name from the WP name (GCxxxx), not the title of the cache

2. A rule to tell the WP import function not to create "similar" waypoints - whatever that might mean. (I think the previous idea might be easier to implement!)

Is there a general setting like "Smart name always = <value>" where I could set <value> to, say, %code ?

Thanks

Nick

GSAK uses the CODE to determine if a waypoint exists in the database. If you want to download waypoints from your GPSr and have used smart names then you will get duplicated waypoints as you describe.

If you don't want this to happen then when you generate the waypoints to your GPSr in the first place use %code for the waypoint code rather than %smart

If you don't want to loose the functionality of having smart names in your GPSr then I suggest you download from your GPSr to a "temp" database, then just select the waypoints you want and use the "Database=>Move/Copy" option to copy just those waypoints to your main database.

GSAK was designed with GC.com in mind and to work with hand held GPS's that are used for geocaching.  I would have a hard time caching without GSAK.

I couldn't agree more as I use it primarily for geocaching. As I stated in the post just prior to yours I was trying to glean from others who might be recording geodashes in GSAK as well. Doesn't seem like such an odd question to me. :o

sorry -

I read right through your geoDash and only saw geoCache.

cc\

I have a database for the caches in my area. It is simply the .gpx file from a pocket query loaded with no other waypoints entered. It shows my caches found as I have logged them at gc.com. In the bottom right corner in the counts it shows (after today's .gpx import) 161 found. Yet when I run a filter on my found caches (GSAK default) it shows 141 waypoints. I know it can't be 161, that's too high. 141 sounds right (I have found caches that are not in this particular database and my total cache finds are 151). Any ideas why the discrepancy? Do the .gpx/zip files from gc.com ever arrived corrupted?

Groundspeak allow some caches to have multiple founds on a cache (event cache for example). GSAK calculates your found count by adding up all your found logs.

What this means is that there is at least one cache in your database where you have logged more than one find (intentional or not). You can track these down using the "Log" filter.

Thanks!

If you don't want to loose the functionality of having smart names in your GPSr then I suggest you download from your GPSr to a "temp" database, then just select the waypoints you want and use the "Database=>Move/Copy" option to copy just those waypoints to your main database.

That's what I'll do - thanks!

What happens when you Add to Location when you right click on a waypoint row?

It adds it to your defined "locations", which you can set as a center point using the "locations" drop down. If you want to see for yourself, go ahead and try it. To delete it, you just go to Tools>Options>Locations and edit it out of the locations list.

Edit: It's useful if you have a waypoint that you want to be able to use as a center point on a regular basis, e.g. I have my sister-in-law's house in another state, which we visit a couple times a year, as one of my locations. When we visit, I download a fresh pocket query for the area, use the dropdown to set her house as my center point in GSAK, and can see the nearest caches to her home.

You can also manually type the location in the locations list in Tools>Options>Locations, but the right click does it for you if you already have the waypoint in your database!

Edited by Kai Team
How do I use it?

I anticipated this question (after I posted) and edited by original post while you were writing it (see above)! Too bad I didn't think of that before I originally posted my first answer. :o

Edit: Just realized I answered the "why would I use it" but may not have answered your question on "how" to use it - right click on the GSAK search bar (just above the grid view headings) and choose "customize search bar". Check the "locations" box. You can move the box around if you want, then click "OK".

Now you should have the locations drop down in your search bar - just click the dropdown, select the location, click on the "miles" heading in the grid and your waypoints will sort by distance from that location.

Edited by Kai Team
I'm sure this is already on the to-do list: any plans for Earthcache support in the list of cache types ?

What version are you running?

EarthCache support was introduced way back in 4.2.0 (released 21st October, 2004)

When using the [Edit Currenet Waypoint] window, is it possible to increase the selection on the drop down menu for "Type" (of waypoint) ?

My selection now is all types of Geocaching icons and "Other" anyway to add the symbols for house, trailhead and Mine? I'm using a Garmin 72.

When using the [Edit Currenet Waypoint] window, is it possible to increase the selection on the drop down menu for "Type" (of waypoint) ?

My selection now is all types of Geocaching icons and "Other" anyway to add the symbols for house, trailhead and Mine? I'm using a Garmin 72.

Please see this post

Okay, I've downloaded a hundred or so caches in the Oklahoma area and its been a couple of months since I used them. Now I want to update them with the latest info. How do I do that. Also, I thought it might be at the "global replace" area but all I did there was manage to convert all of the cache types to one type. how do I get them back to the way they were?

I'm sure this is already on the to-do list: any plans for Earthcache support in the list of cache types ?

EarthCache support was introduced way back in 4.2.0 (released 21st October, 2004)

5.1.4, build=10. <_<

When I'm editing a cache, here are the available type icons in the drop-down list, in order:

Traditional, Multi, LetterBox, CITO, Event, Locationless, Virtual, Web Cam, Mystery, Benchmark, Other.

I was expecting to find "Earthcache" there. (Maybe it appears if I load a GPX file, but I'm editing some .LOC files of caches I want to visit.)

Nick

Edited by sTeamTraen
Okay, I've downloaded a hundred or so caches in the Oklahoma area and its been a couple of months since I used them. Now I want to update them with the latest info. How do I do that. Also, I thought it might be at the "global replace" area but all I did there was manage to convert all of the cache types to one type. how do I get them back to the way they were?

I'll be interested to learn about that also. I spent more than an hour looking for two caches the other day. I hadn't updated caches in that part of town for a month . . . and it turns out both caches had gone missing since the last found logs I had in my "Palmie." <_<

Edit to add appropriate quote . . .

Edited by idiosyncratic

Easily done, if you're getting these through a PQ. Simply open the new PQ into the database with your old waypoints that you want to update. The new material, including logs will automatically update the old information. You should get the proper icons back, too (alternatively for icons, you could restore from the last backup).

You do have to keep an eye open for recently archived caches, as these are not available via PQ. People have different routines, but they usually involve filtering for any waypoints that have *not* been updated, identifying any likely suspects in the remaining list, and then checking the online url with the right-click customized url to verify status.

5.1.4, build=10. :anicute:

When I'm editing a cache, here are the available type icons in the drop-down list, in order:

Traditional, Multi, LetterBox, CITO, Event, Locationless, Virtual, Web Cam, Mystery, Benchmark, Other.

I was expecting to find "Earthcache" there. (Maybe it appears if I load a GPX file, but I'm editing some .LOC files of caches I want to visit.)

Nick

Yes, it is supported in the GPX files but it looks like the Earth Cache type is missing from the edit dialog. I will fix this in the next release.

However there is a work around to fix this for you now using the global replace option.

1. Clear all user flags

2. Set user flag for the cache(s) you want to convert to type Earth Cache

3. Set filter "User flag = set"

4. From the main menu select "Database=>Global Replace"

5. From the replace drop down box select "Cache type"

6. From the with drop down box select "Earth"

7. Click on the "Replace" button

Edited by ClydeE

I'm getting wrong symbols when I open GPXSONAR although the symbols are correct in Mapsourse created file and in my Vista. FOr example I had selected Live Theater for Multi's. I get that in Mapsourse and Vista by get a ? mark in gpxsonar. With virtuals, I selectred parachutes which I get in Mapsourse and Vsta but get a circle with a slash through it in gpxsonar. The geocache not found symbol is OK for regular caches in all. What am I doing wrong?

Any plans for adding the ability to press a key in the list and have GSAK go to that first letter of caches? I have a list of around 1000 or so and going from B to H can take a little bit of going up and down.

Originally that is how the name search once worked.

However, feedback indicated that users wanted more. Try using the name search box to set a filter of waypoints of interest

I'm getting wrong symbols when I open GPXSONAR although the symbols are correct in Mapsourse created file and in my Vista.  FOr example I had selected Live Theater for Multi's.  I get that in Mapsourse and Vista by get a ? mark in gpxsonar.  With virtuals, I selectred parachutes which I get in Mapsourse and Vsta but get a circle with a slash through it in gpxsonar.  The geocache not found symbol is OK for regular caches in all.  What am I doing wrong?

Different products and GPSrs use different symbols. GPXSonar can't be expected to support all the symbols used by Magellan, Garmin, MapSource, Mapsend, Memory Map, et al. I suspect GPXSonar only supports the symbols used to describe the default cache types as designated by Groundspeak.

To make sure you are sending the default Groundspeak cache type symbols to GPXSonar via the GPX export from GSAK, make sure you uncheck the box "Make symbols same as last GPS send"

Edited by ClydeE
It had been working correctly before I reformatted my computer and upgraded to 5.1.4. All the symbols were correct then in gpxsonar.

That is only a recent addition, so previously you did not have this option to set or unset.

So the question is, when you uncheck that box are the icons correct?

Yes, it is supported in the GPX files but it looks like the Earth Cache type is missing from the edit dialog. I will fix this in the next release.

However there is a work around to fix this for you now using the global replace option.

Of course, I could also go and find it. Then it would turn up in my "found" PQ. :blink:

Thanks

Nick

Another of what we used to call, when I worked s/w development, a WIBNI ("Wouldn't It Be Nice If"):

WIBNI you could select X caches and edit them interactively (to the extent that it makes sense) as one. For example, if I have ten caches with the container "Unknown", I could select them all and just change the container, or the name of the placer.

The other fields would either be permanently grey (eg the WP name, because it doesn't make sense) or temporarily grey (because I haven't said I want to set them all to the same value).

I imagine this can be done today with a macro, but an interactive construction to do it would be... nice. It would, however, probably be a substantial chunk of programming.

Another of what we used to call, when I worked s/w development, a WIBNI ("Wouldn't It Be Nice If"):

WIBNI you could select X caches and edit them interactively (to the extent that it makes sense) as one.  For example, if I have ten caches with the container "Unknown", I could select them all and just change the container, or the name of the placer.

The other fields would either be permanently grey (eg the WP name, because it doesn't make sense) or temporarily grey (because I haven't said I want to set them all to the same value).

I imagine this can be done today with a macro, but an interactive construction to do it would be... nice.  It would, however, probably be a substantial chunk of programming.

You can already do this now :blink:

That is what the "Database=>Global Replace..." option is for.

Just select the waypoints you want to change using the user flag, then filter on "User flag = set". Alternatively, there may already be some commonality in the set of waypoints you want to change, so any filter that selects your required waypoints can be used.

The global replace works only on the current sub set, so you won't be updating all the records in you database if you set a filter first.

Edited by ClydeE
You can already do this now :laughing:

That is what the "Database=>Global Replace..." option is for.

*doh* - smacks head - if I'd gone home and implemented your fix to my Earthcache problem from above, I would have found this before I asked. As it was I just found it, so I've come back here to see if I could edit my question, but you'd already replied, so I am revealed as an impatient fool. But thanks anyway. :lol:

It had been working correctly before I reformatted  my computer and upgraded to 5.1.4.  All the symbols were correct then in gpxsonar.

That is only a recent addition, so previously you did not have this option to set or unset.

So the question is, when you uncheck that box are the icons correct?

No. But when I reload GPX file back into GSAK, the symbols are coorect indicating that GSAK is creating the correct symbols. Mapsourse and GPXTOMAPLET is OK too so I gues I've got a new gpxsonar problem.

I hope this is an ok place to post this. I am pretty new to caching and extremly computer stupid. I have a garmin legend and have downloaded gsak. I have successfully loaded one cache into gsak, but when I try to send to my gps I keep getting an error that says it "can't init com 2. I have double checked and I am hooked to com 2, and my control panel says it's working normally. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Advtrskr

I have the same problem. I just bought a new notebook pc and they don't put RS-232 serial ports on them any longer. I bought a SIIG USB to Serial cable and my Street Atlas sees my Garman Etrex Vista and Etrex (yellow) fine. Street Atlas also sees my DeLorme Tripmate fine through this cable. My Device Manager say's everthing is operating properly. However, GSAK on my new laptop renders the error message "can't init com 2 ( and any other available com ports)". I tried checking and unchecking the Use USB box in GSAK GPS Setup. When using GSAK on my old Notebook "P233 clunker running XP Pro" I can send waypoints to my GPSs just fine direct through it's RS-232 serial port. I figure it might be just a hardware or OS problem but I don't know where to go to fix it. New notebook is a Dell Inspiron 1000, Win XP os. GSAK is 5.1.4 Build 10.

Suggestions anybody?

Jerry alias KD5OM

yes -

first make sure that if you have a PDA you disable your serial sync setup and quit any other program that might be using the serial port.

When you are in your GSAK serial setup screen change to magellan and see what serial ports the drop down says you have available. You are trying for COM2 but this may not be the correct port.

Sounds like you have the GPS setup properly because the other programs use it. But make sure it is in Garmin mode.

then check out these two links -

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1161097

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...ndpost&p=974744

let us know how you do -

=======================

edit to add -

some people have had trouble with USB serial adapters - mine is a Radio Shack. SIIG is an old company in the pc peripheral business and makes quality stuff. Have you been able to use this device for anything else?

Did you follow the instructions carefully for installing this adapter? They can be picky and if you do it wrong it just won't work. I had to install RS software BEFORE! plugging in the adapter. Try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. You'll have to do that from the Device Manager - USB section. More than one person here got their USB adapters working only after removing and reinstalling it.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
yes -

first make sure that if you have a PDA you disable your serial sync setup and quit any other program that might be using the serial port.

When you are in your GSAK serial setup screen change to magellan and see what serial ports the drop down says you have available. You are trying for COM2 but this may not be the correct port.

Sounds like you have the Legend setup properly because the other programs use it. But make sure it is in Garmin mode.

then check out these two links -

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1161097

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...ndpost&p=974744

let us know how you do -

=======================

edit to add -

some people have had trouble with USB serial adapters - mine is a Radio Shack. SIIG is an old company in the pc peripheral business and makes quality stuff. Have you been able to use this device for anything else?

Did you follow the instructins carefully for installing this adapter? They can be picky and if you do it wrong it just won't work. I had to install software BEFORE! plugging in the adapter. Try uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. You'll have to do that from the Device Manager - USB section. At least one person here got their USB adapters working only after removing and reinstalling it.

cc\

I suppose you're writing to me, JALBA alias KD5OM.

I have been tearing and reasembling PCs for 20 years and I chose SIIG because in the past, their stuff always worked the first time.

As I shared, I tested this cable installation with my Street Atlas mapping program and three different GPSs and it works on all three.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, re-mapped the com ports through the Properties Dialoge box.

I wish Garmin made a USB cable for the Etrexes.

Thank you for the fast reply.

Jerry

I have been tearing and reasembling PCs for 20 years and I chose SIIG because in the past, their stuff always worked the first time.

As I shared, I tested this cable installation with my Street Atlas mapping program and three different GPSs and it works on all three.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, re-mapped the com ports through the Properties Dialoge box.

Well, with 20 years in pc's you gotta know what you are doing. Sorry for the basic questions - gotta start somewhere. I have liked SIIG for a long time. Seems strange it works for others but not the Legend. Have you tried reinstalling GSAK. There was a previous person here that got it working after reinstalling GSAK.

OT but are you a HAM operator - KD5OM sounds like a call sign.

HELP I just started using Cachemate and GSAK with my new palm Tungsten E when I download a pocket querry and load it into GSAK when I try to put it on the pda all i can ever get to transfer is 1 waypoint out of 150 listed on GSAK please someone tell me what im doing wrong

Clyde/All: if I enter Corrected Coordinates, but don't Lock the record, will the new coordinates be overwritten by incoming GPX files? I've been locking everything when I make any changes, just in case, but am wondering if this is an unnecessary step if I'm only using the CC dialog.

HELP I just started using Cachemate and GSAK with my new palm Tungsten E when I download a pocket querry and load it into GSAK when I try to put it on the pda all i can ever get to transfer is 1 waypoint out of 150 listed on GSAK please someone tell me what im doing wrong

Not sure what the problem might be here... First off, is your Cachemate a registered version or the trial? The latter will only import 10 records at a time, though this doesn't explain why you're only getting 1.

I assume you're using the File Menu/Export/Cachemate PDB File... dialog to do the export - this should export every record in your current database view to the PDB file. Be sure you have the "Install to Palm after conversion" box checked; this will insure that what's getting sent to the PDA is the file you're actually exporting.

I'm not sure what else to check. Further details about the exact steps you take to send the records to the Palm may be needed.

Clyde/All: if I enter Corrected Coordinates, but don't Lock the record, will the new coordinates be overwritten by incoming GPX files? I've been locking everything when I make any changes, just in case, but am wondering if this is an unnecessary step if I'm only using the CC dialog.

They will not be overwritten, no need to lock the cache to keep the corrected coordinates.

Check the waypoint name definition on the export window, the most common reason for your problem is that all caches are using the same name thus the last cache transferred is the only one you'll get.

I have run into this one a few times before. In all cases it was because the box that says "You can build the waypoint name using special tags" had been inadvertently changed to a literal (or blanked out), therefore producing the same name for all caches and then you only get one in CacheMate.

You must use a special tag here that will generated a unique waypoint name. The two most common are %code and %smart. %code is the shipped default with GSAK and I recommend using until you are more familiar with special tags

Edited by ClydeE

I got a new 60CS to replace a stolen GPS V. I have always used the following to export to the Mapsource as well as directly to the GPS:

%drop2-%con1,%typ1-%dif1,%ter1-%bug%notGC%code

Note the dashes. On the GPS V and Mapsource, these dashes show(ed) up, for some reason on the 60 CS they do not. Any idea what i may have configured wrong in either GSAk or the 60 CS?

I got a new 60CS to replace a stolen GPS V. I have always used the following to export to the Mapsource as well as directly to the GPS:

%drop2-%con1,%typ1-%dif1,%ter1-%bug%notGC%code

Note the dashes. On the GPS V and Mapsource, these dashes show(ed) up, for some reason on the 60 CS they do not. Any idea what i may have configured wrong in either GSAk or the 60 CS?

Yes, Please see this post

Clyde/All: if I enter Corrected Coordinates, but don't Lock the record, will the new coordinates be overwritten by incoming GPX files?  I've been locking everything when I make any changes, just in case, but am wondering if this is an unnecessary step if I'm only using the CC dialog.

They will not be overwritten, no need to lock the cache to keep the corrected coordinates.

That is correct. This is the whole purpose of corrected coordinates. It allows you to change the coordinates for a waypoint, without worrying about having a GPX file changing them back again (but all other information is updated)

You should really only use the "lock" flag when you don't want any of the information for a waypoint overriden (except logs - logs are always added/updated regardless of the setting of the lock flag)

Well, with 20 years in pc's you gotta know what you are doing. Sorry for the basic questions - gotta start somewhere. I have liked SIIG for a long time. Seems strange it works for others but not the Legend. Have you tried reinstalling GSAK. There was a previous person here that got it working after reinstalling GSAK.

OT but are you a HAM operator - KD5OM sounds like a call sign.

I will do the unistall/re-install of GSAK. I have no experience with a USB to RS-232 serial cable. I was curious just how well something like this might work. I also don't have a lot of experience with Windows XP but I'm learning. I will report on the findings.

The OSs get a bit more complicated with every release. I cut my teeth on LDOS & then MSDOS back in the days of the Z80. How things have changed!

I did find some very enlightening FAQs at:

http://www.bb-elec.com/technical_library.asp#RS232

Yes I'm a Ham. KD5OM. This makes my thirtieth year pounding brass. Go to http://www.kd5om.com

73s de Jerry KD5OM

hey clyde thanks for bringing us gsak as it helps us out a lot more then we know

my problem is i use %code when exporting to ms&t and when exporting to html however recently %code for html comes up with numbers 1 through 958 as that is how many caches i am exporting i checked and double check and its says %code so its real hard for me to find the cache description because of this i found out about the master index and that does the same but its a little slower and when i am out in the field i would like to use minimal time on the ppc

weew which leads me to a suggestion for the future any way we can export to ms&t a link with like on the pushpin so when i tap the pushpin it sends me directly to the cache page it seems to me that this is what the master index essentially does but would like it to be on the pushpin dont know if its possible but hey you never know especially with everything that you already have come up with

hey clyde thanks for bringing us gsak as it helps us out a lot more then we know

my problem is i use %code when exporting to ms&t and when exporting to html however recently %code for html comes up with numbers 1 through 958 as that is how many caches i am exporting i checked and double check and its says %code so its real hard for me to find the cache description because of this i found out about the master index and that does the same but its a little slower and when i am out in the field i would like to use minimal time on the ppc

weew which leads me to a suggestion for the future any way we can export to ms&t a link with like on the pushpin so when i tap the pushpin it sends me directly to the cache page it seems to me that this is what the master index essentially does but would like it to be on the pushpin dont know if its possible but hey you never know especially with everything that you already have come up with

Robert has answered the second part of your question so I will just answer the first part.

Please see this post