GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

This software is freezing continuously since I downloaded it just earlier today. I am running a new Dell with all of the bells and whistles and my windows version is XP professional, Media Center edition. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad in Texas

I had the same problem yesterday and found that I was running McAfee and Windows firewalls. I removed the Windows version and GSAK is running perfectly. I don't know if this is helpful but that solved my problem.

Good luck!

I'm exporting the "to find" caches in an area to my PDA (.prc format) and also to Memory Map. So if "name of current centre point" is not available as a variable I'll just set up three different Export settings - no big deal.

Thanks for putting me right, Kai Team!

You're welcome.

I'm not familiar with a way to export from GSAK to a PRC file, but you can export to PDB, which will be read by Cachemate, or to HTML, which can be read by a number of PDA programs. Memory Map export creates a CSV file.

In either case, if you want to name the file after your center point, you can do it manually in the export dialog. I can't think of a way to do it automatically, but that may be my limitation, rather than GSAK's! :laughing:

This software is freezing continuously since I downloaded it just earlier today. I am running a new Dell with all of the bells and whistles and my windows version is XP professional, Media Center edition. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad in Texas

It could also be your virus scanner that's hanging up.

Clyde recommends exempting the GSAK folder, or at least the program (exe), from "real time" virus scanning. See this post.

I just upgraded to 5.1.3. GSAk opens, I can export to my PDA, but i get the following error every time I try to send to my GPS:

"List index out of bounds (0)."

Then GSAK shuts down.

I tried downloading it again, no luck.

Any help?

Thanks.

I have 5.1.4 on both my desktop and laptop. I was getting the exact same error on the laptop when trying to export a MapSend WPT file.

The export works fine on the desktop.

I saw a later post on an unrelated problem where Clyde suggested doing a backup of GSAK and restoring it on the other computer. I gave that a shot and it worked great for my problem.

I am not sure if this is a question or a enhancement request. :unsure:

Is there a way to, possibly from the right click drop down menu, directly download a GPX file?

The reason I ask is that GC.com currently does not include Archived caches in the GPX PQ. To keep my DB clean what I currently do is a sort of all unfound caches prior to the date of the last weekly GPX PQ. In other words after today's GPX 6-APR, I sort to find all unfound on or before 30-Mar.

I then right click on them each individually, go to them online and DL the GPX so they then show as Archived in my DB. I then, either once a month or immediatley, use the filter to show all Archived and erase them, since if they come of of Archive they will show up again in the normal PQ.

Yes, it's time intensive and yes, most of the steps above may be able to be done thru macros if I could ever get the hang of them. Having this feature, however, would not only be a time saver, it should make other maintenance (i.e. making sure you have the latest logs before walking out the door) easier.

I don't think the special tags help text you quoted is referring to "RUNPGM" when it says "and custom Programs".

Ahh, of course, perhaps I should read more carefully... :unsure:

could be a suggestion for the export routines to have the files saved as %code or something....

Clyde recommends exempting the GSAK folder, or at least the program (exe), from "real time" virus scanning.  See this post.

Do you have any idea how to do this on McAfee? I've spent the last 10 minutes looking at this program and can't see where to exempt chosen applications.

Open the VirusScan Console. Right Click on the "On-Access Scanner". Choose "Properties".

Select "All Processes" on the left side, then select the "Detection" tab. On that screen you will see a rdio button called "Exclusions". Click that and you will be take to the screen that allows file and folders to be excluded. In that screen choose the "Add" button.

It should be self explanatory from that point. If not, let me/us know.

I am not sure if this is a question or a enhancement request.  :unsure:

Is there a way to, possibly from the right click drop down menu, directly download a GPX file?

AFAIK There is currently no way to right click and download a GPX file direct.

To deal with Archived caches I do something similar to you.

I use a filter to select all the caches that had a GPX file update in the last week.

I then use the "Online waypoint URL" link in the Split Screen View to go directly to the cache web page and check if it has in fact been archived. If it has I can download the GPX file direct from the page.

Probably as many steps as your solution but it is an alternative.

PS. In GSAK V5.2.0 there will be a right click menu to 'Set cache status'. :D

Just wondering, recently some notes of mine were deleted on a cache. When I import that cache again, will those notes get removed from GSAK?

When answering this post, I've assumed you meant "Finds", not the literal "notes" you indicated. If you indeed meant "notes", I'm not sure that the suggestions below will work. I'd love to have confirmation or correction from someone else if they can offer it.

If I understand the way things work properly, this information should remain in GSAK if you select the following import options:

• Don't clear the database before loading the new file
  • Select newer only for the database update options
  • Select found only for the found status update option

I am not sure if this is a question or a enhancement request. :blink:

The reason I ask is that GC.com currently does not include Archived caches in the GPX PQ. To keep my DB clean what I currently do is a sort of all unfound caches prior to the date of the last weekly GPX PQ. In other words after today's GPX 6-APR, I sort to find all unfound on or before 30-Mar.

I then right click on them each individually, go to them online and DL the GPX so they then show as Archived in my DB. I then, either once a month or immediatley, use the filter to show all Archived and erase them, since if they come of of Archive they will show up again in the normal PQ.

Yes, it's time intensive and yes, most of the steps above may be able to be done thru macros if I could ever get the hang of them. Having this feature, however, would not only be a time saver, it should make other maintenance (i.e. making sure you have the latest logs before walking out the door) easier.

you can download a gpx file from any cache page if you are premium member

if you can get to the cache page you can download the pgx.

just look for the gpx link - either click it or right click it.

I am not sure if this is a question or a enhancement request.  :blink:

I'm not sure if Clyde could do this even if he wanted to - geocaching.com terms of use prohibit mining data from their site, and this might be considered in that category.

I use a similar procedure as you and Motley Crew - filter on caches not updated in the last PQ (in the last week, in my case), then manually look at each one through the online link, then change the status if necessary.

FYI, GSAK currently distinguishes between temporarily "unavailable" and permanently "archived" caches. You can set this using the F3 key (each press of the key cycles through available/ unavailable/ archived status) or by right click, "toggle archive/unavailable status". The problem is that if you have your caches filtered by those available, it disappears from your view as soon as you change the status to anything else. For this and other reasons (as Motley Crew said above) Clyde will be adding a right click, "Set Cache Status" option to the next release which will make this a one step process (there will be a drop down where you can directly choose any of several status options).

I mention the distinction between unavailable and archived because on the GSAK Tools>Options>General tab, you can check "Message when archived\unavailable cache becomes available" and GSAK will alert you, but I suspect this only happens if the cache already exists (as unavailable) in your database. So, you can delete the archived ones, but I leave the unavailable ones!

Edited by Kai Team
II mention the distinction between unavailable and archived because on the GSAK Tools>Options>General tab, you can check "Message when archived\unavailable cache becomes available" and GSAK will alert you, but I suspect this only happens if the cache already exists (as unavailable) in your database.  So, you can delete the archived ones, but I leave the unavailable ones!

... as does GC.com which is the reason that I run a PQ for 'Temp' disabled caches every now and again.

A bit of an unrelated note, but may be of use to some; since Google Maps has added satellite pictures, here's a GSAK URL to show a cache location using the satellite view directly:

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat,%lon&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

Remove the &t=k on the end to just show the regular map view. Still working on reliable, no-third-party-app-required pushpins.

I'm not sure if Clyde could do this even if he wanted to - geocaching.com terms of use prohibit mining data from their site, and this might be considered in that category.

I thought about that before writing the email and I don't think it is. It would be for a listing you already have in a PQ, otherwise there would be nothing to right click on in GSAK.

If it's a grey area, I would understand staying away from it, however it is really no different than what I am doing now, just saving about 3 mouse clicks on each.

A bit of an unrelated note, but may be of use to some; since Google Maps has added satellite pictures, here's a GSAK URL to show a cache location using the satellite view directly:

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat,%lon&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

Remove the &t=k on the end to just show the regular map view. Still working on reliable, no-third-party-app-required pushpins.

... sadly, like the 'normal' Google maps, doesn't work for UK caches :blink:

Wait, you mean there's cachers in other countries? I thought only USians were allowed to use GPS and satellite photography.

Actually, I'm confused - I thought their satellite coverage was basically worldwide... ?

In all seriousness, Google has made a practice of covering every base there is to be covered. I'm sure they'll be adding worldwide mapping of similar scale and quality as what they've done for most of North America already.

Hello Clyde and all,

First posts to this forum, I tried to search but the search always brought up 0 so I'm hoping this hasn't been asked to death..

I had to reinstall my GSAK, due to issues with my PC, and when I load in a new GPX file from a pocket query.. my miles are all screwed up.

I know for a fact, before I had to install, one of my locations said : 3.9 miles, now it says: 4097.9 Miles

And all the locations are like that.. I know that none of these are 4,000 miles away.

I've tried rebuilding the DB's, deleted the DB's re-importing.. Changing from KM to Miles .. nothing seems to have worked.. Sorry if this has been asked before.. I remember I had this problem when I first got GSAK a long time ago, but then I just changed from Miles to KM and back to Miles and it fixed it.. .but not this time..

Thanks

Dave

Nope. I mean notes...

Your 'user notes' should be saved in your back up files.

AFAIK any 'user notes' should not be overwritten by imported gc.com GPX files.

Guess I should have specified. I mean notes I've logged on the cache page, not user notes....

I thought about that before writing the email and I don't think it is. It would be for a listing you already have in a PQ, otherwise there would be nothing to right click on in GSAK.

If it's a grey area, I would understand staying away from it, however it is really no different than what I am doing now, just saving about 3 mouse clicks on each.

The difference is that the listing you already have in GSAK came from authorized PQ's generated by gc.com - i.e. gc.com "pushed" the data to you, GSAK did not "pull" it from gc.com. In the scenario you propose, GSAK could be seen as "pulling" data from gc.com.

Other sites and programs have been prohibited from pulling data from the gc.com website, even though the same data is available to users through the website. It's not the data itself, but how you get it, that matters to gc.com.

It is a gray area - either Clyde or, ultimately somone from gc.com, will be the final authority on this - and I'd certainly like that capability in GSAK - I was just mentioning a possible barrier!

There are several strains of the 12. If yours is one that speaks D103s (and most do) the answer is:

static const char *d103_icons[16] = {

"dot",

"house",

"gas",

"car",

"fish",

"boat",

"anchor",

"wreck",

"exit",

"skull",

"flag",

"camp",

"circle_x",

"deer",

"1st_aid",

"back-track"

};

Who wants a piece of me on Garmin Protocol Trivial Pursuit? :-)

Anyone knows whats the names of the 16 icons in Garmin GPS 12 is? I am trying to let GSAK set diffrent icons in my GPS.

/Anders

It appears that you may be able to call up the waypoint names by "deleting waypoints by symbol" (see page 19 of the GPS 12 Manual). You may have to enter a waypoint for each symbol to then have it display the list with the name of each symbol when you go to delete by symbol (don't know, since I don't have a GPS 12).

Edit: Robert beat me to it while I was looking up the GPS 12 manual! I wouldn't enter the trivial pursuit contest with him! :D:D:D

Edited by Kai Team
Is it possible for me to change the display to show the bearing in degrees on GSAK, rather than N, SE etc?

Currently no. Up until now I haven't had anyone request this as there hasn't been a need to get that granular. GSAK does actaully internally calculate the direction in degrees then converts to the cardinal directions.

I'm currently finishing up a program that converts GPX format Geocaching waypoint into iFinder format.  It goes beyond what GPSBabel currently does (or can do) for that particular format.

My question to you is:  Did you get permission from Groundspeak to use their cache type icons?  How did you get it?  How hard was it to get?

I got the icons from their web page describing cache types.  I had to do some heavy resizing and redrawing of the icons to get them down to a 20x20 pixel format, so while they are not the exact icons, they certainly count as "derivative" work.

I’m not 100% sure of the exact definition of derived work, but my understanding is that if you keep the same “look and feel” as the Groundspeak icons you will need their permission to use them. I too have resized and touched up icons, but they still have the same look and feel as the geocaching.com ones and would therefore appear to be breaching copyright by using them without permission.

Basically you will need to email Groundspeak stating what your application is, how it will be used, and ask for permission. When/if permission is granted you will then need to include something like “Cache icon graphics, Copyright 2005, Groundspeak Inc, used with permission. GSAK displays this in the Help=>About dialog, and there is also a reference in the help file.

Edited by ClydeE
I'm currently finishing up a program that converts GPX format Geocaching waypoint into iFinder format.  It goes beyond what GPSBabel currently does (or can do) for that particular format.

My question to you is:  Did you get permission from Groundspeak to use their cache type icons?  How did you get it?  How hard was it to get?

I got the icons from their web page describing cache types.  I had to do some heavy resizing and redrawing of the icons to get them down to a 20x20 pixel format, so while they are not the exact icons, they certainly count as "derivative" work.

I’m not 100% sure of the exact definition of derived work, but my understanding is that if you keep the same “look and feel” as the Groundspeak icons you will need their permission to use them. I too have resized and touched up the icons but they still have the same look and feel as the geocaching.com ones and would therefore appear be breaching copyright by using them without permission.

Basically you will need to email Groundspeak stating what your application is, how it will be used, and ask for permission. When permission is granted you will then need to include something like “Cache icon graphics, Copyright 2005, Groundspeak Inc, used with permission. GSAK displays this in the Help=>About dialog, and there is also a reference in the help file.

welcome back Clyde -

Clyde.. I keep getting a "corrupt version" popup and then it asks me if i want to back up the files.. if i click backup it backsup the files and closes gsak.. if i just say cancel it will continue working.. i've deleted gsak like 3 times and installed the newest version.. but no luck...any help on this would be great. also.. i'm wondering if there is a way that i can just update a current PQ on gsak without waiting from a new pq from gc.com. or do i just have to delete all my old waypoints/geocaches and load a new (currently updated) PQ?

Private mail sent. Problem resolved.

In 5.1.4 build 10,if you run a macro in debug, the skip doesn't seem to skip the command - a bit of a bummer when I'm wanting to skip the export to my gps when its not attached and i have to wait for it to timeout :-)

Using XPsp2.

Yep, this one is a bug in the skip options. Fixed in the next release.

I am not sure if this is a question or a enhancement request. :D

To my knowledge there is no way to calculate the URL required to download the GPX file. Perhaps when the “sandbox” is up and running we will be able to do this, but at the moment I can’t see how. There may also be issues with item 5 of the Groundspeak terms of use.

Just wondering, recently some notes of mine were deleted on a cache. When I import that cache again, will those notes get removed from GSAK?

No, the notes will not be deleted. If you do need to have the notes deleted you can delete the cache and reload the GPX file or you can purge the logs via the Database=>Purge logs option. GSAK 5.2 will also make this easier by allowing you to delete an individual log.

Edited by ClydeE
I don't think the special tags help text you quoted is referring to "RUNPGM" when it says "and custom Programs".

Ahh, of course, perhaps I should read more carefully... :D

could be a suggestion for the export routines to have the files saved as %code or something....

Yes, Enhancements made to the macro language in version 5.2 will enable you to do this.

... sadly, like the 'normal' Google maps, doesn't work for UK caches :D

nope but the following do:-

UKSatView+++=http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?lat=%lat&lon=%lon&icon=x&scale=5000

UKSatView++=http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?lat=%lat&lon=%lon&icon=x&scale=10000

UKSatView+=http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?lat=%lat&lon=%lon&icon=x&scale=25000

UKSatView-=http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?lat=%lat&lon=%lon&icon=x&scale=50000

UKSatView--=http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?lat=%lat&lon=%lon&icon=x&scale=100000

UKSatView---=http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?lat=%lat&lon=%lon&icon=x&scale=200000

Edited by DomHeknows

Anybody adapting GSAK to geodashing (or should I say "adapting geodashing to GSAK!)?

Side note: I tried to search for discussions on this topic and this thread showed in the search results but I had no luck finding which of the 14 pages of this thread contained the text I was searching for. How does one search threads like this that are VERY long for a specific word?

I've contemplated using it as my own record of my Geodashing history...copying each waypoint and report into a dashing database. I've only done a couple of records so far, and have only attempted one dashpoint in the last year or so (maybe longer).

I've contemplated using it as my own record of my Geodashing history...

Yeah, I'm using the same way so far. It's very handy for planning the hunt with the new feature in GSAK for showing a waypoint in Doug Cox's USAPhotomaps program.

I just thought I'd throw the question out there to see if I'm using GSAK to it's fullest with regard to geodashing.

Anybody adapting GSAK to geodashing (or should I say "adapting geodashing to GSAK!)?

Side note: I tried to search for discussions on this topic and this thread showed in the search results but I had no luck finding which of the 14 pages of this thread contained the text I was searching for. How does one search threads like this that are VERY long for a specific word?

hmmm... I find that a rather odd question. GSAK was designed with GC.com in mind and to work with hand held GPS's that are used for geocaching. I would have a hard time caching without GSAK.

This is the first sentence on the GSK web page -

"GSAK is the all in one Geocaching and waypoint management tool. "

- so I'd say you don't have to do any adopting at all - in either direction. They are made for each other.

cc\

I have a database for the caches in my area. It is simply the .gpx file from a pocket query loaded with no other waypoints entered. It shows my caches found as I have logged them at gc.com. In the bottom right corner in the counts it shows (after today's .gpx import) 161 found. Yet when I run a filter on my found caches (GSAK default) it shows 141 waypoints. I know it can't be 161, that's too high. 141 sounds right (I have found caches that are not in this particular database and my total cache finds are 151). Any ideas why the discrepancy? Do the .gpx/zip files from gc.com ever arrived corrupted?

Edited by The4B's
I have a database for the caches in my area. It is simply the .gpx file from a pocket query loaded with no other waypoints entered. It shows my caches found as I have logged them at gc.com. In the bottom right corner in the counts it shows (after today's .gpx import) 161 found. Yet when I run a filter on my found caches (GSAK default) it shows 141 waypoints. I know it can't be 161, that's too high. 141 sounds right (I have found caches that are not in this particular database and my total cache finds are 151). Any ideas why the discrepancy? Do the .gpx/zip files from gc.com ever arrived corrupted?

Groundspeak allow some caches to have multiple founds on a cache (event cache for example). GSAK calculates your found count by adding up all your found logs.

What this means is that there is at least one cache in your database where you have logged more than one find (intentional or not). You can track these down using the "Log" filter.

GSAK was designed with GC.com in mind and to work with hand held GPS's that are used for geocaching.  I would have a hard time caching without GSAK.

I couldn't agree more as I use it primarily for geocaching. As I stated in the post just prior to yours I was trying to glean from others who might be recording geodashes in GSAK as well. Doesn't seem like such an odd question to me. :(

Side note:  I tried to search for discussions on this topic and this thread showed in the search results but I had no luck finding which of the 14 pages of this thread contained the text I was searching for.  How does one search threads like this that are VERY long for a specific word?

I am using it for gc.com, the few dashpoints I've done and the terracaches also - in one database (when I tried geodashing I imported into another database temporarily, since there are so many dashpoints - I only brought over the ones I was going to attempt). On some multis, I also copy the main cache waypoint to additional waypoints of the form GCXXXX-n and correct the coordinates as I find them (on caches which aren't solved ina single outing).