GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Just a quick note. On the exported Delorme File, it picks the icon as "GeocacheFound", and the actual icon name was "Geocache Found" (with a space). I manually edited the text file, but I just wanted to point it out.

Also, with older versions of Street Atlas you have to download the symbol update for it to even have the geocache icon. :0

Hi Clyde

Is it possible for me to change the display to show the bearing in degrees on GSAK, rather than N, SE etc?

Many thanks

Lisa

Not Clyde, but I'm pretty sure that isn't changeable at this point. The calculations needed to provide the cardinal directions are significantly simpler than the calculations to give an exact bearing; with a large database I'm thinking that computing the bearing would slow things down significantly.

I'm curious as to why the directions aren't "good enough"? Are you trying to do some plotting of waypoints or something?

Clyde,

I'm currently finishing up a program that converts GPX format Geocaching waypoint into iFinder format. It goes beyond what GPSBabel currently does (or can do) for that particular format.

My question to you is: Did you get permission from Groundspeak to use their cache type icons? How did you get it? How hard was it to get?

I got the icons from their web page describing cache types. I had to do some heavy resizing and redrawing of the icons to get them down to a 20x20 pixel format, so while they are not the exact icons, they certainly count as "derivative" work.

I'm trying to do some trip planning with GSAK. I've found information about how to create the filter I want here . Basically filter out all of the caches in a region which none of us has found.

This all works fine assuming your GSAK database has all of the found logs from the other people specified in the filter. This is not currently the case for me since I purge logs frequently.

If I create a PQ for a certain set of caches, email that to the other user(s) and have them run that PQ under their accounts I'm assuming that these .gpx files should include their logs. If I import their .gpx files into my GSAK database I should have their logs assuming I constrain the filter to the same area covered by the PQ's I created. Two questions:

1) Anyone tried it? Does it work?

2) Will pulling someone elses .gpx file into my database mess up any of my stats. Specifically will this mess up my found counts or does GSAK use the user ID in the logs to determine if I found it vs the found/not found status in the .gpx file.

I'm guessing if 2) is an issue I can do this in a separate database.

GO$Rs

Clide

I'm from South Africa and would like to pay for your program but we cannot get paypal in South Africa. I would suggest you open a www.setcom.com or www.iKobo.com payment system as well so that people from countries that do not have or cannot get paypal can buy your program as well.

If I create a PQ for a certain set of caches, email that to the other user(s) and have them run that PQ under their accounts I'm assuming that these .gpx files should include their logs.  If I import their .gpx files into my GSAK database I should have their logs assuming I constrain the filter to the same area covered by the PQ's I created.  Two questions:

1) Anyone tried it?  Does it work?

Yes they do include the found logs for the requesting person. If the person has changed the name they use on Geocaching.com, be sure to use the GC ID number for the sorting. I use it to show caches along a route that none of us have found.

2) Will pulling someone elses .gpx file into my database mess up any of my stats.  Specifically will this mess up my found counts or does GSAK use the user ID in the logs to determine if I found it vs the found/not found status in the .gpx file.

GSAK does use the user ID for the found count, so you can import them all without issue.

GSAK does use the user ID for the found count, so you can import them all without issue.

So I played around with this and got it to work. Everything works as expected, you just need to make sure that when you do the GPX load that under "Found status update options" you check "never". That'll prevent GSAK from taking the found information out of the other person's GPX file (if they've found a cache you haven't). Instead it'll take the found status from the log entries themselves.

Everything works as expected, you just need to make sure that when you do the GPX load that under "Found status update options" you check "never".

Hmmm, I am without GSAK at the moment so I was going from memory. But I thought you could tell it to only use your GC ID number to count cache finds, but I very well could be wrong. Guess I should refrain from trying to be Clyde when I don't have access to a PC with GSAK :mad:

Dan, you're correct. Under Tools/Options/General you can specify that GSAK only use your gc.com ID number to parse the logs for found and placed caches.

That said, g-o-cashers is certainly doing the safe thing by checking the Never Update option for found caches; that'll ensure that stuff doesn't get intermixed and cause a need to restore a backup or something, without having to worry about whose files are getting loaded.

Oh, and for Clyde and Pasha,

Here is a web page that describes how to calculate bearing using Haversine functions.  The programming code, in Javascript, is also included.

Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. I'd be further interested to hear from Clyde exactly how he determines the cardinal direction now - if it's just a matter of using greater-than/less-than, very simply, or if he's doing the Haversine thing and just displaying the cardinal direction. Having never paid much attention in class, I didn't know it was that (relatively) simple to determine exact numbers; any competent programming language is going to have those functions.

My guess would actually be that he's already doing the calculations; after all, he's displaying the (reasonably) exact distance.

Just a note to one and all.

I am currently travelling on family business at the moment. I have very limited Internet access and time.

I will answer all unanswered questions when I get back.

Thanks for your patience

Clyde

That said, g-o-cashers is certainly doing the safe thing by checking the Never Update option for found caches; that'll ensure that stuff doesn't get intermixed and cause a need to restore a backup or something, without having to worry about whose files are getting loaded.

Its more than a safety thing I think. Here's a summary of the settings I used to import someone else's GPX file in order to get their logs in my database w/o messing up my find counts. This is very handy if you are trying to do hunt planning with multiple people. Once the log info is in your database you can create a log filter to show you all the caches which no one in the group has found:

- Tools->Options->Advanced: Check "Interrogate Logs for Founds/DNF". This forces GSAK to use log interrogation to determine your finds. Seems to be the default.

- Tools->Options->General: Select "Use gc.com login ID" and fill in your gc.com login ID under "Method for matching placed and found caches". During log interrogation this will force GSAK to make exact matches on only your logs -- this is more of a safety thing to prevent you from picking up finds from others who have similar names.

- File->Load GPX/LOC: Select "Never" under "Found Status Update Options". This is required. If you don't select this you'll pick up the other person's finds in your database from the Found/Not Found status of the caches in the GPX file.

The combination of these three settings seem to force GSAK to determine finds from your and only your found logs.

It would be helpful to add this information to this help page because it is a very helpful planning tool.

GO$Rs

Does anyone know a quick way to convert a GSAK database to a Microsoft Excel spread sheet? I went on a geo trip with power cachers that use Excel spreadsheets. I really liked not having to fumble with my PDA while hiking.

I did do a search first but came up empty handed.

Bill,

Edited by Kit Fox
Does anyone know a quick way to convert a GSAK database to a Microsoft Excel spread sheet? I went on a geo trip with power cachers that use Excel spreadsheets. I really liked not having to fumble with my PDA while hiking.

If you export your database to MS Streets & Trips CSV format, you should easily be able to open the CSV file into Excel.

Clyde,

Help!

We have a problem sending waypoints from GSAK to the GPSr.

We have a Magellan SportTrak Map

Compaq computer running Windows XP Professional

Purchased copy of GSAK and downloaded version of EasyGPS

We have never, ever been able to download the waypoints from geocaching.com to the GPS on this computer. We have both programs, EASYGPS and GSAK and can't get it to work. However, I have EasyGPS loaded on my work computer, which is also running Windows XP Professional, and I have no problem downloading the waypoints to the GPSr.

I know that the COM1 port works on the home computer. I performed the firmware update for the GPSr without any problems.

I have check, double checked and triple checked the following settings, making sure that they matched on both the GPSr and the software:

1. Longitude/Latitude

2. Coordinate settings

3. Baud Rate

4. NMEA off

Here's the error messages that we receive. First one from EasyGPS:

No Data was received from the GPS!

(Error #22)

You should quit this program and turn your GPS off before proceeding.

If you need technical assistance, please visit

http://www.easygps.com/support.asp

Details of this error have been logged to

d:\program files\EasyGPS\EasyGPS_Message_Log.txt

Here's the error message that we receive from GSAK:

Error sending waypoints:

MAGPROTO: No Data Received from GPS

Needless to say, I have become extremely frustrated beyond belief. Yes, I could continue to take the GPSr to work and download waypoints, but that's not what I want to do, nor should I be doing.

Can you give me some advice before I toss the GPSr and the computer out the window in a tantrum? I would be most appreciative

Sincerely,

"The Mrs" of Mr and Mrs Hydrogeologist

:o

We are having the same exact problem with the same exact error messages. Tried different cables, different ports, and different computers with two different GPS's.

I had an old version of GSAK, which worked a couple of time and it started doing the same exact thing. Upon download of the GSAK program, it works like a charm. Then, cut it off... Start it back up for the next pocket query and it starts all over again.

Are we going to have to unistall and download the GSAK program every time we want to download waypoints to the GPS every time we want to go geocaching?

I also spoke with someone in Atlanta that is having the same exact problem.

Any other suggestions??? Anyone get this problem fixed?

Thanks in advance,

BBB

New error message. I receive this message on a version of 4.1 and the current version.

gsakerror3gu.jpg

The message was received while trying to upload waypoints to the GPS while enabling the debug mode.

The last time we encountered problems with downloading waypoints, the debug mode was the option that kicked in, but isn't working now.

BBB

Bill,

Hi Bill

In addition to the MS Streets & Trips export you can use the Memory Map export as this is also in CSV format and may/may not contain the info you need.

Does anyone know a quick way to convert a GSAK database to a Microsoft Excel spread sheet? I went on a geo trip with power cachers that use Excel spreadsheets.  I really liked not having to fumble with my PDA while hiking.

Bill,

Deleted: double post!

Edited by Motley Crew
New error message. I receive this message on a version of 4.1 and the current version.

{image cut}

The message was received while trying to upload waypoints to the GPS while enabling the debug mode.

The last time we encountered problems with downloading waypoints, the debug mode was the option that kicked in, but isn't working now.

BBB

That's a tough one. My first guess would be that something else is using the COM port; only one program at a time can use it. Make sure that anything else that connects to your GPS (like the firmware update thing, Palm Hotsync stuff, whatever) is shut down prior to running GSAK. Don't run both GSAK and EasyGPS at the same time, as it could be that they're fighting each other over the COM port.

My second guess is that the COM port that the GPSr is using is not the one you think it is - if you reinstall, and it works, and then you come back the next day, and it doesn't, then try the other available COM ports. It could be that you have something else on this machine that makes use of COM ports and causes a "reshuffling" of which is which.

If neither GSAK nor EasyGPS can send anything to your GPSr, I don't think it's GSAK's or EasyGPS' fault. It must be something hardware-related on this machine. Hard to say though.

Does anyone know a quick way to convert a GSAK database to a Microsoft Excel spread sheet? I went on a geo trip with power cachers that use Excel spreadsheets.  I really liked not having to fumble with my PDA while hiking.

If you export your database to MS Streets & Trips CSV format, you should easily be able to open the CSV file into Excel.

That worked great. Thank you very much!

{image cut}

BBB

That's a tough one. My first guess would be that something else is using the COM port; only one program at a time can use it. Make sure that anything else that connects to your GPS (like the firmware update thing, Palm Hotsync stuff, whatever) is shut down prior to running GSAK. Don't run both GSAK and EasyGPS at the same time, as it could be that they're fighting each other over the COM port.

My second guess is that the COM port that the GPSr is using is not the one you think it is - if you reinstall, and it works, and then you come back the next day, and it doesn't, then try the other available COM ports. It could be that you have something else on this machine that makes use of COM ports and causes a "reshuffling" of which is which.

If neither GSAK nor EasyGPS can send anything to your GPSr, I don't think it's GSAK's or EasyGPS' fault. It must be something hardware-related on this machine. Hard to say though.

I would agree but the fact that we have tried on two different computers makes me think it's not a hardware problem. Maybe something to do with the GPS's themselves but the same problem with two different GPS's too? I have checked and switched com ports and nothing works.

Please Help!

BBB

you already know the gps works on your work computer with the program you have there.

what does the Device Manager say about the port?

What does GSAK say about what ports are available?

try this test for the serial port using Hyperterminal -

=======================================

Hyperterminal Test

The following test writes to the serial port and reads from the same port (make sure you have a loopback configuration set up as described in the Serial Communication Starting Point page):

Select Start>>Programs>>Accessories>>Hyperterminal.

Double-click on the Hypertrm icon.

If you are asked if you would like to install a modem, select No.

You are prompted to select an icon to represent the connection you are about to define. Choose any one, and name the session.

In the next Pop-Up menu, choose direct to COMx where x is the number of the COM Port you are testing.

Set the flow control setting to None. You may leave the other settings in the next dialog box, though you can increase the speed if you like.

Select File » Properties from the menu bar, select the Settings tab, and then push the ASCII Setup button.

Check the option for Echo typed characters locally.

Start typing. If you see double characters (that is, you see two characters for every one you type), the serial port is setup correctly and is functional.

Edited by CompuCash

well just re-read your first message - where you say the port works for upgrading software in the gps. I have a sportrak also.

The port works! That means that something that the gps programs are doing is wrong.

Lets go back to both programs and which COM ports are available. You used the same cable with the upgrade so you actlually know that all three hardware parts work - serial port - cable - and gps.

So what we are left with is what the programs are doing and what the settings are. Lets leave your GPS settings alone for now and assume you have done it so many times that they really are right. Besides that you did it at work and it worked properly.

So lets look at the program settings. Let's use GSAK for now. Assuming that you have the proper BAUD rate (incidentally please use 9600 for teting purposes). As a side note - 9600 is a good medium speed rate that all items should be able to use comfortably. Using too high a baud rate can cause problems. So what are we left with? Choosing the correct COM port. GSAK should give you a list of available ports that it (AND WINDOWS) think are available. What does it offer for choices? It shows three ports in my list (1-3-5) 1 is open for use - 3 is the dialup modem - and 5 is my USB serial adapter. I have a weather station attached to com1 and did not want to deal with plugging and unplugging. If you have multiple ports available try different ones - you can't assume that Windows has them arranged like you think they should be...

Have you tried a USB serial adapter? Radio Shack for about $35.

--------------------------

added -

if you are technically inclined - check this link -

http://www.brainz90.karoo.net/comtest.htm

you need to build a loop back tester and the wiring is shown. This should be a Radio Shack item for less then $5.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

gsakerror3gu.jpg

(Hi, BBB.)

I had exactly this problem on Sunday, the very day I was trying to release GPSBabel 1.2.5.

I was testing with a 330. Well, my 330 can be crotchety so I tried with the STMap. I tried two different computers running two different OSes. Same problem. I could turn on debugging and enable NMEA and see sentences coming back.

Turns out that the transmit data line in my cable was bad. So I was sending the command and if the unit had ever gotten it, I'd have gotten the response. Unfortunately, due to a bad cable, that wasn't happening and I was seeing exactly what you're seeing now.

What you're seeing is GPSBabel "shouting out" to the GPS. The OS didn't return any error that the "shout out" failed, but we didn't get an answer back.

When a conversation just isn't happening, it's hard to tell if it's becuase

A) You're mute.

:D Your partner is deaf.

C) Your partner is mute.

D) You're deaf.

The various tips offered by others for debugging Windows serial ports sound like good trees to shake, too.

"Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying..." (R. Waters.)

Bill,

This is an easy one so I will answer quickly

In addition to the other answers please see item 13 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

This method will allow you to select and order the fields in the spread sheet.

Rober -

He said he updated the software on the GPS -

Now of course the software may not be looking for responses and all it did was dump the new stuff, but that doesn't seem reasonable to me. Of course who knows what their software people do?

Of course I am assuming that since this is a new unit the cable is good - not necessarly a valid assumption. So you may have something going here.

cc\

G'day Clyde,

I just upgraded to a Garmin 60CS and GSAK. I loaded a LOC file into GSAK and tried sending it to the GPS. I set up to use USB. I have the latest drivers and firmware. All appears to go successfully, but there's no waypoints in the receiver. Any Ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Bill C

This is getting rather OT for GSAK, but humor me.

The pinouts of the Magellan connector for that generation make it pretty easy to loop back on the "business" end. The TX and RX data lines are the two outermost pins. (The two that are the furthest from the center and thus, each other.) This means the power lines are the innermost two and if you connect them together, bad things will happen.

If I run GPSBabel with nothing connected to the port or the unit powered off, I see exactly what you're reporting:

gpsbabel -D9 -i magellan -f /dev/ttyS0

GPSBabel Version: 1.2.5_beta03202005-rich

WRITE: $PMGNCMD,HANDON*70

WRITE: $PMGNCMD,VERSION*28

MAGPROTO: No data received from GPS.

(Since this thread is mostly Windows people, your serial port will look more like "COM1" than "/dev/ttyS0".)

If I connect those two outer pins (I used the back PCI bracket cover from a Dell which had a groove in exactly the right position to cuddle up to the ridges on the connector) I see GPSBabel getting back exactly what it sent - and GPSBabel reacting violently to hearing only its own voice and not valid responses from a GPS:

gpsbabel -D9 -i magellan -f /dev/ttyS0

GPSBabel Version: 1.2.5_beta03202005-rich

WRITE: $PMGNCMD,HANDON*70

WRITE: $PMGNCMD,VERSION*28

READ: $PMGNCMD,HANDON*70

ACK WRITE: $PMGNCSM,70*62

COMM ERROR: Expected 28, got 00READ: $PMGNCMD,VERSION*28

ACK WRITE: $PMGNCSM,28*6F

COMM ERROR: Expected 28, got 00READ: $PMGNCSM,70*62

COMM ERROR: Expected 28, got 70READ: $PMGNCMD,VERSION*28

COMM ERROR: Expected 28, got 70READ: $PMGNCSM,28*6F

READ: $PMGNCMD,VERSION*28

READ: $PMGNCSM,28*6F

MAGPROTO: No data received from GPS.

That is how you can tell if the problem is the GPS or the cable...

(And when Clyde is back on the bricks, I'm going to point him at this thread as he had a report that looked very much like my second case, implying that TX an d RX in the cable were shorted or there was some internal loopback turned on below us...

G'day Clyde,

I just upgraded to a Garmin 60CS and GSAK.  I loaded a LOC file into GSAK and tried sending it to the GPS.  I set up to use USB. I have the latest drivers and firmware. All appears to go successfully, but there's no waypoints in the receiver.  Any Ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Bill C

Clyde is on a bit of a holliday on some family business.

I have the same setup -

Make sure that you have the USB box checked in the setup dialog.

When you do the transmit do you see a DOS box that shows the count and counts down the caches?

you will see the red bar move as it does the build then the DOS box opens -

you won't see anything in the DOS box unless it is connected - it just goesw away and then says it is done.

some elementary stuff - make sure the GPS is on - when you plug in the cable do you see the connected icon in the status bar at the top of the GPS display?

How many caches are you trying to send?

when you lookin the 60 (press the find button and then wpts) do you mean the list is empty - or does it say there are no wayponts? Forgot which.

Edited by CompuCash
This is getting rather OT for GSAK, but humor me.

The pinouts of the Magellan connector for that generation make it pretty easy to loop back on the "business" end. The TX and RX data lines are the two outermost pins. (The two that are the furthest from the center and thus, each other.) This means the power lines are the innermost two and if you connect them together, bad things will happen.

Sorry, help me draw a picture here. Not really wanting to accidently fry the computer.

So, I am supposed to connect the outer two pins on the GPS cable with a wire? of some sort? Specific gage?

With cable connected to computer? And DO NOT connect the two inner pins! Bad things, really scary.

Thanks,

Katy

aka. Better Half

Quick question from a novice user. I "fouled" one of my databases. I have now two databases for an area of found and not found caches. I do not want to populate the latter with all my found caches, only those found in the last few weeks, then add them to the not found database. I'm sure there is an easy way to do this, but I'm a dumby at this.

Thanx, SJC

I have now two databases for an area of found and not found caches. I do not want to populate the latter with all my found caches, only those found in the last few weeks, then add them to the not found database.

I don't quite follow what it is that you want to do, but in general the way to move caches into different data bases is with user flags.

Edit: See the next post for an easier approach if you just want to move caches by the date you found them.

First, sort the database that you want to move caches from by a criteria that will separate them. For example, to sort the caches found in the last few weeks, sort on the "Found By Me" date column by clicking the heading (clicking again reverses the sort order). If "Found by Me" isn't showing in your grid view, go to Tools>Options>Display and check off "Date Found by Me".

Next, mark the caches you want to move using the user flags. You can do this manually, one at a time (by placing a check in the user flag column, which has a silhouette of a person standing as the heading), or you can go to User Flags>Set for Next nn Records, where "nn" is the number of caches you want to mark.

Next, filter by user flag = set. (Search>Filter>General, uncheck "User Flag: Not Set".

Finally, move the caches to the other database by going to Database>Move/Copy Waypoints, selecting the destination database (which must already exist) and move or copy (depending on which you want to do).

Edited by Kai Team

Or, an even easier method I just thought of:

Go to Search>Filter>Dates and set "Date Found by Me" to "On or After" and fill in the cut off date (e.g. a few weeks ago). Click on "Go".

Next, move the caches to the other database by going to Database>Move/Copy Waypoints, selecting the destination database (which must already exist) and move or copy (depending on which you want to do).

A similar approach will work for other criteria besides the date you found the cache (i.e. you can sort or filter the database by other criteria, then set user flags, then copy or move the flagged waypoints).

Edited by Kai Team

I'm attempting to import Field Notes from GPXSonar. I am running Pocket PC 2003 Pro Second Edition. I can genterate the GSAKNote.txt file and sync it to my laptop just fine but GSAK will note import the file into notes. I have GSAK looking at the correct folder. When I click on Import nothing happens. Is there an issue between GSAK and Pocket PC 2003 Pro Second Edition?

I am running GSAK 5.1.4 Build 10.

I am running GPXSonar version 1.3.1

I was able to do this with out a problem using Packet PC 2003 Prem. First Edition.

Here is a sample of a test Field Note that was generated by my PDA. As far as I can tell it is the same format as was generated by Pocket PC 2003 Prem First Edition.

GCN1BT IsaacsPa Date: 2005-04-03<br>Type: Found it.<br>Actual Coords: N 0° 0.000 E 0° 0.000<br>Text: testing

Thank you,

Steve

I have all the waypoints for michigan, along with all the locationless. A couple of weeks ago I went to chicago and retireved the closest 20 miles, so  I could hit a few.  Well now the chicago files are integrated with the entire GSAK database, and I would like to remove them, and not one at a time is there a way to do this?

Filter on all waypoints in Illinois and delete them.

Sounds simple, but do you want to delete 150 caches one at a time? Hence my question. How can I do it in bulk, or multiple files, or whatever you want to call it.

Set a filter that incorporates the Illinois waypoints, like distance between XX miles and XX miles.

Then GSAK brings up only those waypoints. You can then right click any one of them and chose to delete all waypoints in the filter.

I did something similar to this after putting a bunch of waypoints for the a proposed trip in my GPSr.

Set a filter that incorporates the Illinois waypoints, like distance between XX miles and XX miles.

Then GSAK brings up only those waypoints. You can then right click any one of them and chose to delete all waypoints in the filter.

I did something similar to this after putting a bunch of waypoints for the a proposed trip in my GPSr.

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much, that made it much simpler. I knew there had to be a way!!

Clyde.. I keep getting a "corrupt version" popup and then it asks me if i want to back up the files.. if i click backup it backsup the files and closes gsak.. if i just say cancel it will continue working.. i've deleted gsak like 3 times and installed the newest version.. but no luck...any help on this would be great. also.. i'm wondering if there is a way that i can just update a current PQ on gsak without waiting from a new pq from gc.com. or do i just have to delete all my old waypoints/geocaches and load a new (currently updated) PQ?

I'm attempting to import Field Notes from GPXSonar. I am running Pocket PC 2003 Pro Second Edition. I can genterate the GSAKNote.txt file and sync it to my laptop just fine but GSAK will note import the file into notes. I have GSAK looking at the correct folder. When I click on Import nothing happens. Is there an issue between GSAK and Pocket PC 2003 Pro Second Edition?

I am running GSAK 5.1.4 Build 10.

I am running GPXSonar version 1.3.1

I was able to do this with out a problem using Packet PC 2003 Prem. First Edition.

Here is a sample of a test Field Note that was generated by my PDA. As far as I can tell it is the same format as was generated by Pocket PC 2003 Prem First Edition.

GCN1BT IsaacsPa Date: 2005-04-03<br>Type: Found it.<br>Actual Coords: N 0° 0.000 E 0° 0.000<br>Text: testing

Thank you,

Steve

I believe we got this figured out. When we setup the GPX Export from GSAK the default waypoint name was %Code, %Smart thus the Smart Name was being included with the GC Number. When we exported the Field Notes from GPXSomar the first field contained the GC Number and Smart Name. When we attempted to import the field note with GSAK it never found a match.

When exporting a GPX File that will be used with GPXSonar you need to make sure to set the Waypoint Name to %Code.

From help file: You can use special tags in waypoint names, descriptions, custom URLs, and custom Programs.

Can anyone tell me the syntax for using special tags in RUNPGM? What I want to do is create a file with the name of my current centre point

The following just creates a file called %centre.prc :lol:

RUNPGM pgm="C:\GPSBabel.exe" parms=-i gpx -f "C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\babel.gpx" -o palmdoc -F C:\%centre.prc

Thanks! John

hello all,

I have recently downloaded the software GSAK.

I am having a problem and I was hoping you could help me resolve it. I

am trying to export the files to my National Geographic TOPO software.

The problem is that TOPO need the file to be in a TXT. file but the

program puts it in a TPG file I can't seem to get the files to get into

TOPO. Please help me out.

Thanks,

The Redmond Family

hello all,

I have recently downloaded the software GSAK.

I am having a problem and I was hoping you could help me resolve it. I

am trying to export the files to my National Geographic TOPO software.

The problem is that TOPO need the file to be in a TXT. file but the

program puts it in a TPG file I can't seem to get the files to get into

TOPO. Please help me out.

Thanks,

The Redmond Family

On the TOPO! File menu should be a choice to either open a tpg file (older versions) or merge a tpg file (later versions). At least this is what I'm seeing on my 3.4.3 version.

Do you have a version where these choices do not appear?

I am attempting to get GSAK 5.1.4 Build 10 running properly on my laptop with Windows XP Home Edition. When I try to enter the coordinates for my Home location under "options" "Loc" I press OK and GSAK locks-up which then requires my ending the task via Windows task manager.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone tell me the syntax for using special tags in RUNPGM? What I want to do is create a file with the name of my current centre point

Clyde's away right now, but in looking at the RUNPGM syntax in the help file (RUNPGM <pgm="ProgramName.exe" [<parms=Parameters>] [<Wait=No|Yes>]), I don't think the special tags help text you quoted is referring to "RUNPGM" when it says "and custom Programs".

Also, the "Centre" tag doesn't read your current center point (which would be necessary to export it), it sets it.

What kind of file are you trying to create (i.e. txt, csv, gpx, prc?), and why? Maybe one of us can suggest another way to do what you want!

gsakerror3gu.jpg

(Hi, BBB.)

I had exactly this problem on Sunday, the very day I was trying to release GPSBabel 1.2.5.

I was testing with a 330. Well, my 330 can be crotchety so I tried with the STMap. I tried two different computers running two different OSes. Same problem. I could turn on debugging and enable NMEA and see sentences coming back.

Turns out that the transmit data line in my cable was bad. So I was sending the command and if the unit had ever gotten it, I'd have gotten the response. Unfortunately, due to a bad cable, that wasn't happening and I was seeing exactly what you're seeing now.

What you're seeing is GPSBabel "shouting out" to the GPS. The OS didn't return any error that the "shout out" failed, but we didn't get an answer back.

When a conversation just isn't happening, it's hard to tell if it's becuase

A) You're mute.

:o Your partner is deaf.

C) Your partner is mute.

D) You're deaf.

The various tips offered by others for debugging Windows serial ports sound like good trees to shake, too.

"Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying..." (R. Waters.)

I am happy to report the problem is solved! After extensive testing of just about everything we could test it seems that two seperate data cables were both found to be bad at the same time, who would have figured! Boy what a relief, well at least all we have to do is get a new cable unstead of something major!

Thanks for all the great support and help sent our way on this technical adventure!

BBB

I don't think the special tags help text you quoted is referring to "RUNPGM" when it says "and custom Programs".

Ahh, of course, perhaps I should read more carefully... :(

I'm exporting the "to find" caches in an area to my PDA (.prc format) and also to Memory Map. So if "name of current centre point" is not available as a variable I'll just set up three different Export settings - no big deal.

Thanks for putting me right, Kai Team!