GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I've got about 200 waypoints loaded in GSAK, but the info for each one is not up-to-date -- no info on cache type, location, ratings, etc. Is there a way to do a mass update of the waypoints in GSAK?

did you load GSAK with LOC files or gpx files?

LOC files have little content. You have to be a premium member in order to get gpx files or to get PQ's with up to 500 caches in them.

My this forum moves quickly!

I clicked on the "Check All" button on the cache search results and did a mass download that way. I realized I could go into the individual cache pages and download a more detailed file that way, but for 200 waypoints that would be entirely TOO time consuming. Yes, I am a premium member, so downloading pocket queries, instead, would be best?

Hi!

In the earlier Version of GSAK (afair below 5.1) it was possible to send Waypoints with a - (dash) in the waypoint name. Since then this ability seems to be lost. Is there any Configuration setting where this can be changed back?

Just for records: I use a Garmin eTrex legend.

Second point: It is possible to get other languages for GSAK? I am willing to do a translation to german.

cheerio

Lairsdragon

If you missed it point 1 was answered by Robert Lipe here

As for you second point - sorry, GSAK is only available in English. One day when I have nothing to do I will add other languages :rolleyes:

Any chance of adding a parking symbol to the type of cache?

Sorry, with the flurry of posts lately I managed to overlook this and the one above.

Better late than never :rolleyes:

User defined cache types and symbols (graphics) is on "the list"

This will enable you to define your own cache types and allocate your own graphics to them.

Unfortunately this is one of the "non trivial" changes, so no promises to when it will appear.

Another question on using another computer that is networked to one using the GSAK data:

Is there a way to use the same setup options on a networked computer as are used on the source computer's setup options where the data files are stored?

Or do I need to change each field manually to match?

I know that you cannot have two GSAKs open at the same time. I am opening and saving the data file via a network and only saving it on one computer.

Another question on using another computer that is networked to one using the GSAK data:

Is there a way to use the same setup options on a networked computer as are used on the source computer's setup options where the data files are stored?

Or do I need to change each field manually to match?

I know that you cannot have two GSAKs open at the same time. I am opening and saving the data file via a network and only saving it on one computer.

Yes.

You will first need to map a network drive to the shared drive on the other computer. (let us call this drive g: )

Now just install GSAK on the second computer to drive g: making sure to select the same installation folder as the other computer.

Is there any support to create files for the Whistler GPS units?

There is no explicit support in GPSBabel for anything involving Whistler and this is the first request for such a thing that I can recall in all my years in Babelsville.

Send sample files, any pertinent doc you have, and offers for beer (I drink stouts) to the GPSBabel mailing lists. csv formats are pretty easy to stamp out these days. Binary formats remain substantially harder.

No problem. We will look at the files created first to what they are. I was the one you helped with the first xmap imports (Thanks again by the way). Even if the file is binary we will figure out the details of the file format before we contact you with offers of beers in hand ;-) We both used to program in the Commodore 64 days so we can handle a Hex editor pretty well, but lost interest in programming when the Amiga came out.

Actually I guess the GPS is fairly new and I have to admit the ability to landscape the map, compact flash storage for detailed maps and waypoints, and USB support for under $100 really has me very interested. If it has better memory card management I may just pick one up for myself.

That is unless it is like the stupid Delorme format that just adds "Begin" and "End" to the file in order to use extra hard drive space  :D

I've long been puzzled by that. Some of the Delorme products document that as required and some don't. Evidently, the xmap products require it. (That's the GPSBabel format called "xmap") The Street Atlas & Topo products document it as required, but some of the products actually choke on it if it's there. So GPSBabel actually leaves the BEGIN/END decorations out of the (admittedly poorly named) "csv" and "saplus" formats as it appears to be MORE compatible with the menagerie of DeLorme products than following their recommendation. It's a real mess.

...stuff like this is WHY I drink stouts.

I understand. Hmmm I wonder if they are ISO 9000 certified? If so then maybe they could get them to follow the standard, or at least cause a paper pusher a bad day :rolleyes:

Edited by Dan_Edwards
Not sure if this is a GSAK issue or a PQ issue.

Looking in GSAK, all .gpx files loaded 3/24/05 and later are almost 2000 miles from my home coords even though all are in MI. Anything loaded 3/22/05 and earlier are ok.

Have you tried selecting Database, Repair/Defrag?

Hi Clyde.  I love GSAK and am a registered user (in my wife's name since she had the paypal account). 

My question is, what do I need to do in order for the HTML filename index to match my GPSr names, and be in the right order in my palm?

For instance, there's a local cache here named "The Beach".  Since I use smart names for my GPSr it removes the word "The" and lists it as just "Beach".

When I couldn't find the cache page on my Palm under the B index I was confused, until I found it under the T index, listed as "The Beach".

So the next time I made the HTML files I used smart names on those as well.  Fortunately it removed the word "The" from the front.  Unfortunately it kept it listed under the T index. 

Is there a way to have the HTML use smart names and put them in order using the new names?  Is there a check box I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!

Hmm I tried this and it worked as expected. A cache named "The Swamp" correctly showed up under the "S" index.

When you say "the next time I made the HTML files I used smart names on those as well" how did you do this?

To make it work as expected all you should need to do is place %smart in the "Waypoint Code" box

The way I made the smart names in the HTML index was to use the %smart tag in the Waypoint Code box as you suggested, like so:

5d0cefd5-a34d-403f-924b-85792f8a7ded.jpg

When I look at the name index, all of the caches that begin with the word "The" are still listed in the T index, but without the word "The" on them. In the index below you can see that "The Beach" and "The End Of The Line", as well as others, are all in the T index but have names that start with something other than T.

e3f7434a-276a-407a-aa5f-e0fac1199b8d.jpg

The image above is the Name index. When I create a Waypoint Code index it puts the smart names in alphabetical order, but then it doesn't break them up by letter so it's not possible to jump to the T caches (or any other letter) like the Name index does.

It's got to be something simple that I'm not doing, either a check box or something like that. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Have been using this for a while and only recently found this post :rolleyes: Question, would it be possible to add hot keys for some routine commands?

For instance Edit Waypoint and add waypoint, and then a alt-f to take you to found, or hotkeys for lat/longitude etc...

Thanks for an unbelievably helpful tool, would just help me since I like to use my mouse as little as possible!

Hi Clyde.  I love GSAK and am a registered user (in my wife's name since she had the paypal account). 

My question is, what do I need to do in order for the HTML filename index to match my GPSr names, and be in the right order in my palm?

For instance, there's a local cache here named "The Beach".  Since I use smart names for my GPSr it removes the word "The" and lists it as just "Beach".

When I couldn't find the cache page on my Palm under the B index I was confused, until I found it under the T index, listed as "The Beach".

So the next time I made the HTML files I used smart names on those as well.  Fortunately it removed the word "The" from the front.  Unfortunately it kept it listed under the T index. 

Is there a way to have the HTML use smart names and put them in order using the new names?  Is there a check box I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!

Hmm I tried this and it worked as expected. A cache named "The Swamp" correctly showed up under the "S" index.

When you say "the next time I made the HTML files I used smart names on those as well" how did you do this?

To make it work as expected all you should need to do is place %smart in the "Waypoint Code" box

The way I made the smart names in the HTML index was to use the %smart tag in the Waypoint Code box as you suggested, like so:

image1, removed see orignal post

When I look at the name index, all of the caches that begin with the word "The" are still listed in the T index, but without the word "The" on them. In the index below you can see that "The Beach" and "The End Of The Line", as well as others, are all in the T index but have names that start with something other than T.

image2 - removed, see original post

The image above is the Name index. When I create a Waypoint Code index it puts the smart names in alphabetical order, but then it doesn't break them up by letter so it's not possible to jump to the T caches (or any other letter) like the Name index does.

It's got to be something simple that I'm not doing, either a check box or something like that. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

The screen shots you provided indicate you are using an old version of GSAK. Please download the latest version from http://gsak.net and that should fix your problem.

I'm going senile, I think.

Was it possible to filter by container in a prior version? Let's say that today I only want to see Regular and Locationless caches, because that's what's on the agenda. Two days from now, I think it shall be Micro and Virtuals.

I went through the filter screens, the online help, and this forum, didn't see a reference.

If it's not possible, *could* it be possible, Clyde?

Was it possible to filter by container in a prior version? Let's say that today I only want to see Regular and Locationless caches, because that's what's on the agenda. Two days from now, I think it shall be Micro and Virtuals.

I went through the filter screens, the online help, and this forum, didn't see a reference.

You cn do a PQ that searches only those. You can also click the container column and it will group them by container size.

Also, ref my issue above I tried repair/defrag but it did not fix the problem.

you are NOTE senile but you may be blind <grin>

check the OTHER tab in the filter dialog -

Looking in GSAK, all .gpx files loaded 3/24/05 and later are almost 2000 miles from my home coords even though all are in MI. Anything loaded 3/22/05 and earlier are ok.

Click on the "Home" tool bar button to force GSAK to recalculate distances from home. Are they now OK?

Would anyone know how to transfer more then 1 waypoint @ a time from GSAK to a Cachemate file? I am using the latest version of GSAK 5.1.4 and now have the Registered version 4.0.3 of Cachemate. Once I set my filter(s), I have about 10 waypoints, I then go to "File", "Export", "CacheMate PDB File..." but, each time I "Generate" the "Install to Palm after Conversion feature" it will only generate the last waypoint on the list? Am I doing DUMBthing Wrong? :laughing:

Would anyone know how to transfer more then 1 waypoint @ a time from GSAK to a Cachemate file? I am using the latest version of GSAK 5.1.4 and now have the Registered version 4.0.3 of Cachemate. Once I set my filter(s), I have about 10 waypoints, I then go to "File", "Export", "CacheMate PDB File..." but, each time I "Generate" the "Install to Palm after Conversion feature" it will only generate the last waypoint on the list? Am I doing DUMBthing Wrong? :laughing:

I get an unable to locate instapp.exe error -- filter has 32 caches in it

without the install box checked I get a 234K file - opened with an editor and it had a lot of different caches in it.

not sure what to tell you from there. I'm using 5.1.4 too.

When you call up the dialog to export to cachemate, have a look at the box that says "you can build the waypoint name using tags". I suspect you have cleared this out, or replaced with a literal rather than a special tag.

The default setting here is %code

However, if later down the track you want to get adventurous please see "Special tags" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs10300.htm

Looking in GSAK, all .gpx files loaded 3/24/05 and later are almost 2000 miles from my home coords even though all are in MI.  Anything loaded 3/22/05 and earlier are ok.

Click on the "Home" tool bar button to force GSAK to recalculate distances from home. Are they now OK?

That did the trick, thanks.

Would anyone know how to transfer more then 1 waypoint @ a time from GSAK to a Cachemate file? I am using the latest version of GSAK 5.1.4 and now have the Registered version 4.0.3 of Cachemate. Once I set my filter(s), I have about 10 waypoints, I then go to "File", "Export", "CacheMate PDB File..." but, each time I "Generate" the "Install to Palm after Conversion feature" it will only generate the last waypoint on the list?  Am I doing DUMBthing Wrong? :laughing:

without the install box checked I get a 234K file - opened with an editor and it had a lot of different caches in it.

Either instapp.exe is now missing from your computer or the registry setting that points to this file is corrupt.

I recall this problem before, and think it was fixed by reinstalling the activesync software (or whatever software is responsible for the instapp.exe file)

When you call up the dialog to export to cachemate, have a look at the box that says "you can build the waypoint name using tags". I suspect you have cleared this out, or replaced with a literal rather than a special tag.

Thanks Clyde you are a GENUIS :unsure::laughing::rolleyes: !!

For some reason the word "Cachemate" was in that box.

With Help like this @ 12 Midnight on the East Coast your product is worth every penny.

I don't think I would have gotten results this fast with a Large Corporation!

KEEP UP THE OUTSTANDING WORK!

Thanks so much! <_<

Would anyone know how to transfer more then 1 waypoint @ a time from GSAK to a Cachemate file? I am using the latest version of GSAK 5.1.4 and now have the Registered version 4.0.3 of Cachemate. Once I set my filter(s), I have about 10 waypoints, I then go to "File", "Export", "CacheMate PDB File..." but, each time I "Generate" the "Install to Palm after Conversion feature" it will only generate the last waypoint on the list?  Am I doing DUMBthing Wrong? :laughing:

Either instapp.exe is now missing from your computer or the registry setting that points to this file is corrupt.

I recall this problem before, and think it was fixed by reinstalling the activesync software (or whatever software is responsible for the instapp.exe file)

Ahhh... that's pretty obvious then as I don't have a Palm -

just trying to dupe his setup.

Thanks Clyde you are a GENUIS :unsure::laughing::rolleyes: !!

For some reason the word "Cachemate" was in that box.

With Help like this @ 12 Midnight on the East Coast your product is worth every penny.

I don't think I would have gotten results this fast with a Large Corporation!

KEEP UP THE OUTSTANDING WORK!

Thanks so much! <_<

I keep asking him when the heck he sleeps (I'm on the west coast) -- but he never answers me -

<grin>

How do I get the lon and lat of a location that I find using the Mapquest address feature? I want to see what caches are near the hotel were I will be staying.

Also, is there is a better way to get this lon and lat for known addresses, please advise.

Thanks

-Cole

Clyde is in a different time zone, one of the zones in Australia, so at midnight here it's near the middle of the day there. Just don't expect him to respond in the middle of the day here. :laughing:

Grailseekers, the ability to receive pocket queries is the only benefit of premium membership, so yes, you should be using them. You can set up several of them, to get up to 500 caches each, and deliver the files to your mailbox daily. You don't even have to go to geocaching.com, just check your mail, save the attachments, and open them in GSAK. Get them in zip format, and GSAK will open those files directly.

Was it possible to filter by container in a prior version?  Let's say that today I only want to see Regular and Locationless caches, because that's what's on the agenda.  Two days from now, I think it shall be Micro and Virtuals.

you are NOTE senile but you may be blind <grin>

check the OTHER tab in the filter dialog -

(Sigh)

If it were any clearer it would have jumped off the screen, slapped me a few times, and run off with my car.

Thanks for pointing it out to me. Me and my white stick are grateful.

Is there a way to remove a mass of files from the datatbase?

Several ways - all involve filtering or setting the user flags for the waypoints you want to delete, then going to Waypoint>Delete and choosing the appropriate option (i.e. "All Wapoints in Filter" or "All User Ticked").

For example, you can manually set the user flag for each waypoint you want to delete, then Waypoint>Delete>All User Ticked, or

If you have them sorted so that the waypoints you want to delete are all grouped together, you can click on the first one, then go to User Flag>Set for Next nn Records, where nn is the number of caches you want to flag, then Waypoint>Delete>All User Ticked, or

If the waypoints you want to delete have something in common (type, date placed, date found, etc), you can filter on that criterion and then choose Waypoint>Delete>All Waypoints in Filter.

Edit: Clyde was faster than I was - I obviously assumed the question related to deleting waypoints, which may not be correct!

Edited by Kai Team

Clyde,

Thanks again for the fantastic job you are doing on GSAK. I just purchased a 60CS and would like to be able to show the lat and lon of a cache in decimal minutes in the notes section on the GPSr. Specifically, just the last three digits to conserve space. I can see that there is a tag for lat and lon in decimal degrees but not in decimal minutes. Am I missing something or is this not available?

Clyde,

Thanks again for the fantastic job you are doing on GSAK. I just purchased a 60CS and would like to be able to show the lat and lon of a cache in decimal minutes in the notes section on the GPSr. Specifically, just the last three digits to conserve space. I can see that there is a tag for lat and lon in decimal degrees but not in decimal minutes. Am I missing something or is this not available?

Sorry, there currently no available tag that would provide this information.

Clyde is in a different time zone, one of the zones in Australia, so at midnight here it's near the middle of the day there. Just don't expect him to respond in the middle of the day here.

ya - I know - that's what I mean - he always seems to answer me no matter what the time is here -

tnx

cc\

HINT:

If you are updating an individual cache directly from the cache page you don't need to download the GPX file and then upload it to GSAK. Just click the download icon and use the "Open with" -option and the GPX data is inserteted directly to GSAK. Works at least with Firefox browswer.

Maybe this is a commonly known method but a new one to me :laughing:

HINT:

If you are updating an individual cache directly from the cache page you don't need to download the GPX file and then upload it to GSAK. Just click the download icon and use the "Open with" -option and the GPX data is inserteted directly to GSAK. Works at least with Firefox browswer.

Maybe this is a commonly known method but a new one to me :laughing:

Yes, this works for firefox, but unfortunately not with Internet Explorer.

For a tutorial on how to download a GPX/LOC file from the cache page with any browser please see http://gsak.net/help/hs11500.htm

Hi Clyde,

I am using GSAK 5.1.4. I am exporting from GSAK in CSV format (via Memory Map icon) and importing into MM, using cutom icons (dunno if that is relevant). All the display values are set to 1 so that labels are hidden when they are imported into MM. Obviously I can easily edit the CSV file but is an extra step when messing about with the custom icons. Is there any way of setting the export so that labels are shown?

I am using version 4.2.4 of MM - the below quote is taken from the help file of MM.

I don't know if newer versions of MM have chaged the inverted logic.

"Display is an integer that controls the "Show label" flag. A value of 1 does not show the name, a value of 0 does. (The logic got inverted, somehow)"

Thanks

Rodz

Hi Clyde,

I am using GSAK 5.1.4. I am exporting from GSAK in CSV format (via Memory Map icon) and importing into MM, using cutom icons (dunno if that is relevant). All the display values are set to 1 so that labels are hidden when they are imported into MM. Obviously I can easily edit the CSV file but is an extra step when messing about with the custom icons. Is there any way of setting the export so that labels are shown?

I am using version 4.2.4 of MM - the below quote is taken from the help file of MM.

"Display is an integer that controls the "Show label" flag. A value of 1 does not show the name, a value of 0 does. (The logic got inverted, somehow)"

Curretnly no, but I can change this in the next release.

However, If there are any other MM users out there that can see this would be a problem for the version they are running please let me know.

Another words, is there any MM users that the current exports does actually "show label"

However, If there are any other MM users out there that can see this would be a problem for the version they are running please let me know.

Another words, is there any MM users that the current exports does actually "show label"

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Could it be included as an user option in the export dialog? This would leave if flexible, although I guess this would be more work for you!

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Could it be included as an user option in the export dialog? This would leave if flexible, although I guess this would be more work for you!

Yep, might be the best way to go then it will keep all camps happy.

Hi Clyde,

Hi Clyde

My MM set up (V4.4.0) does not currently show 'labels'. (By 'Labels' I'm assuming we're talking 'Show name' which displays the waypoint name alongside the icon. It's the field before the GCxxxx in the csv file).

If/when you implement this is would be nice to make it a 'user' selected option as, in my case, I use %Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter). This produces quite a large 'Name' on MM which obscures parts of the map - also the names can overlap each other. This becomes more apparent when you zoom out and have quite a few waypoints showing.

See below for an example ...

noname.jpg

Edited to add: While I've been looking at this and replying you've already answered my query Clyde :rolleyes:

Edited by Motley Crew

Hello Clyde:

Thanks for this very well designed and maintained program. I use it a lot and want to say I preach the bennifits whenever I get the chance. I would like to ask a question concerning the export function under the File menue, specifically for exporting to an SD card for the Magellan. I have a card reader and the function works great, however I would like to limit the export to something less then 500 WPs. I have looked at the Filter function and do not see an easy way to limit the number to the first 500 from a choosen or selected centerpoint. I have been loading groups of waypoints to the SD card centered on locations that I travel to on occasion. I have them named by the city closest to the location. I was originally using the GPS waypoint upload and limiting the upload to 475 (25 left to accomidate user entered waypoints) the process is slow because you have to upload the data then save it to the card then delete the data and then upload the next set. You get the picture. If the export function had a way to limit the output to the card to some selected number, like the waypoint upload to the GPS, it would saveral steps in getting the data to the card.

Cheers

Muddler

Muddler, what you are looking for is on the menu under "User flags." Choose the "Set for nest nn records" option to flag the number you want, and then set (or change) your filter to include only the waypoints with the user flag=set.

Now you can export all the waypoints in your filtered set as usual.

Edited to sharpen menu choice

Edited by embra
Hello Clyde:

Thanks for this very well designed and maintained program. I use it a lot and want to say I preach the bennifits whenever I get the chance. I would like to ask a question concerning the export function under the File menue, specifically for exporting to an SD card for the Magellan. I have a card reader and the function works great, however I would like to limit the export to something less then 500 WPs. I have looked at the Filter function and do not see an easy way to limit the number to the first 500 from a choosen or selected centerpoint. I have been loading groups of waypoints to the SD card centered on locations that I travel to on occasion. I have them named by the city closest to the location. I was originally using the GPS waypoint upload and limiting the upload to 475 (25 left to accomidate user entered waypoints) the process is slow because you have to upload the data then save it to the card then delete the data and then upload the next set. You get the picture. If the export function had a way to limit the output to the card to some selected number, like the waypoint upload to the GPS, it would saveral steps in getting the data to the card.

Cheers

Muddler

Yes, you can do this now for any export.

1. Sort your database in the required Sequence

2. Clear all user flags (F7)

3. From the main menu, User Flags=>Set for next nn records, enter 475

4. Now set a filter on "User flag = set"

You now have a subset of just the first 475 waypoints that you can use in any of the export options

Please also see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

Is there a way to remove a mass of files from the datatbase?

Not sure I understand the question. Are you really asking "Is there a way to remove a mass of waypoints from the datatbase"?

Please explain

I have all the waypoints for michigan, along with all the locationless. A couple of weeks ago I went to chicago and retireved the closest 20 miles, so I could hit a few. Well now the chicago files are integrated with the entire GSAK database, and I would like to remove them, and not one at a time is there a way to do this?

I have all the waypoints for michigan, along with all the locationless. A couple of weeks ago I went to chicago and retireved the closest 20 miles, so  I could hit a few.  Well now the chicago files are integrated with the entire GSAK database, and I would like to remove them, and not one at a time is there a way to do this?

Filter on all waypoints in Illinois and delete them.

HINT:

Maybe this is a commonly known method but a new one to me <_<

Thanks for the tip . . . it also works with my Opera browser. :unsure: