GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

How do I backup / restore this database to my other computer?  I see the restore function and I see five GSAKautoX.zip files in the Backup directory. 

Do I have to restore all 5 of these zip files in the backup directory one by one onto my other computer?

Thanks!

From the help file .... :grin:

GSAK keeps a rolling copy of your most 5 recent backups. The backup files are named GSAKAuto1.zip, GSAKAuto2.zip, .... GSAKAuto5.zip.

Just copy the relevant file (e.g GSAKAuto1.zip is the most recent auto-backup) to your 2nd computer. Then on the 2nd computer, select File/Restore ... and the relevant file name.

Or, alternatively use File/Backup... and select a backup folder and name of your choice, then copy that one to your 2nd computer. Then on the 2nd computer select File/Restore ... and the relevant file name.

Edited to add 'Restore' instructions.

Edited by Motley Crew

Hi Clyde

I'm not sure if this is a bug or the way Debug is supposed to work. When in "DEBUG Status=on" mode you get three options before every command, Execute, Skip or Stop. If the command acts directly on the data base, i.e. "FILTER Name=Virtual" or "DATABASE Name=Default" the filter changes no matter which option is chosen, Execute or Skip (Stop works fine). If the command acts on an Export function, i.e. EXPORT Type=SNT Settings=40V File="C:\Documents and Settings\Don\My

Documents\Streets&Trips\Geocaches\CSV Files\40V.csv" it works as advertised. This is also true of the RUNPGM command, it Executes or Skips as expected. Is this a bug or by design? I haven't had the need to use many of the other commands as yet, so don't know how they act in the Debug mode. Oh, and this happens on both my desktop running Win XP and on my laptop running Win 98SE.

Thanks for an absolutely fantastic geocaching tool and time saver, I wish I'd discovered this months ago!

Hi Clyde

I have a question. When I try and export a gpx file and create a mapsource file the file GSAK creates is a mpeg file. I can't seem to find out why.

Thanks

Well, the problem is likely with your file associations and not with GSAK. .GPX files are basically text files, as are Mapsource .MPS files. If you export a GPX or MPS file and then double-click it, and it comes up in Windows Media Player or some such, that doesn't mean it's an MPEG file, it means that Windows has that particular file extension set to open in the media player. Try exporting your file, then right-click on the exported file and choose "Open with..." then "Choose Program". In the following dialog you can pick the program that you'd rather open your GPX/MPS files with, instead of Media Player. There's also a checkbox to force your files to open with that program in the future.

Hope that helps and that I'm understanding your problem correctly.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or the way Debug is supposed to work. When in "DEBUG Status=on" mode you get three options before every command, Execute, Skip or Stop. If the command acts directly on the data base, i.e. "FILTER Name=Virtual" or "DATABASE Name=Default" the filter changes no matter which option is chosen, Execute or Skip (Stop works fine). If the command acts on an Export function, i.e. EXPORT Type=SNT Settings=40V File="C:\Documents and Settings\Don\My

Documents\Streets&Trips\Geocaches\CSV Files\40V.csv" it works as advertised. This is also true of the RUNPGM command, it Executes or Skips as expected. Is this a bug or by design? I haven't had the need to use many of the other commands as yet, so don't know how they act in the Debug mode. Oh, and this happens on both my desktop running Win XP and on my laptop running Win 98SE.

Thanks for an absolutely fantastic geocaching tool and time saver, I wish I'd discovered this months ago!

When id debug mode the skip option should skip (not execute) that command.

Short answer is that this is a bug and I can replicate the behaviour.

Thanks for picking it up. It will be fixed in the next build.

Is it possible to manually set the status of a cache to Unavailable ?

Right-click on the cache, choose Toggle Available/Unavailable status.

A minor point, but in the latest versions of GSAK it's "Toggle Cache Archive/Unavailable Status", because GSAK now has the ability to distinguish between (temporarily) unavailable caches and (permanently) archived caches.

Right clicking on the cache and choosing "Toggle..." will change the cache from Available to Unavailable, repeating the process will change it from Unavailable to Archived.

Edit: "Unavailable" changes the background color of the code field, "archived" puts a strikeout line through the code.

Yes, this is now a 3 way toggle (Available=>Temp unavailable=>archived, see help).

I find the quickest and easiest way to do this is using the F3 key

I am finding a problem with this: most of the time when I use GSAK I am running a filter that shows only the caches that are available. If I want to change the status to "archived", then first toggle removes it from the screen so that I cannot apply the toggle a second time to mark it as archived.

I would suggest a change: off the right-click menu change

"Toggle...status" to an item entitled "Set cache status to:" that expands to another drop-down that explicitly offers all three possibilities:

"unavailable"

"archived"

"active"

I suggest leaving the F3 functionality the way it is (3-way toggle).

Hi Clyde. I love GSAK and am a registered user (in my wife's name since she had the paypal account).

My question is, what do I need to do in order for the HTML filename index to match my GPSr names, and be in the right order in my palm?

For instance, there's a local cache here named "The Beach". Since I use smart names for my GPSr it removes the word "The" and lists it as just "Beach".

When I couldn't find the cache page on my Palm under the B index I was confused, until I found it under the T index, listed as "The Beach".

So the next time I made the HTML files I used smart names on those as well. Fortunately it removed the word "The" from the front. Unfortunately it kept it listed under the T index.

Is there a way to have the HTML use smart names and put them in order using the new names? Is there a check box I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!

I am finding a problem with this: most of the time when I use GSAK I am running a filter that shows only the caches that are available. If I want to change the status to "archived", then first toggle removes it from the screen so that I cannot apply the toggle a second time to mark it as archived.

I would suggest a change:  off the right-click menu change

"Toggle...status" to an item entitled "Set cache status to:" that expands to another drop-down that explicitly offers all three possibilities:

"unavailable"

"archived"

"active"

Sounds reasonable to me

Edited by ClydeE
Hi Clyde. I love GSAK and am a registered user (in my wife's name since she had the paypal account).

My question is, what do I need to do in order for the HTML filename index to match my GPSr names, and be in the right order in my palm?

For instance, there's a local cache here named "The Beach". Since I use smart names for my GPSr it removes the word "The" and lists it as just "Beach".

When I couldn't find the cache page on my Palm under the B index I was confused, until I found it under the T index, listed as "The Beach".

So the next time I made the HTML files I used smart names on those as well. Fortunately it removed the word "The" from the front. Unfortunately it kept it listed under the T index.

Is there a way to have the HTML use smart names and put them in order using the new names? Is there a check box I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!

Hmm I tried this and it worked as expected. A cache named "The Swamp" correctly showed up under the "S" index.

When you say "the next time I made the HTML files I used smart names on those as well" how did you do this?

To make it work as expected all you should need to do is place %smart in the "Waypoint Code" box

"unavailable"

"archived"

"active"

Sounds reasonable to me

Clyde,

I encounter the same difficulty and want to second this feature change(thanks!).

As long as you're looking at changing this menu item, might I suggest expanding it just a bit: add "Found" and "Not Found" to the right click "Set Cache Status To" dropdown, and make it so that selecting "Found" via the right click also checks the "Found" column and adds today's date!

I know, I'm never satisfied! ;)

"unavailable"

"archived"

"active"

Sounds reasonable to me

Clyde,

I encounter the same difficulty and want to second this feature change(thanks!).

As long as you're looking at changing this menu item, might I suggest expanding it just a bit: add "Found" and "Not Found" to the right click "Set Cache Status To" dropdown, and make it so that selecting "Found" via the right click also checks the "Found" column and adds today's date!

I know, I'm never satisfied! :tired:

Just to clarify.

If you click in the found (or DNF) check box GSAK automatically updates the status, and the corresponding date to the current date.

If you double click here, GSAK amtomatically updates the the status, and provides a calender for you to select the date.

Knowing this, do you still feel there is a need for these two options on this new drop down (it is no problem to add them, just trying to save clutter)

Just to clarify.

If you click in the found (or DNF) check box GSAK automatically updates the status, and the corresponding date to the current date.

If you double click here, GSAK amtomatically updates the the status, and provides a calender for you to select the date.

Knowing this, do you still feel there is a need for these two options on this new drop down (it is no problem to add them, just trying to save clutter)

Also to clarify - the current functionality is great! I didn't know that double clicking brings up a calendar because I usually log the same day, so a single click is all I've used - it works well and is very easy.

I suggested adding the other two "cache status" choices because I use right click menus a lot in Windows (it's a default instinct at this point when I'm not sure how to do something) and assume others might look for it there, and because I was thinking that as soon as you implemented the three choice drop down, someone would ask "why aren't the other cache statuses there?"!

Personally, it's a very minor thing - if it seems like it will add too much clutter, I wouldn't miss it. I'd much rather have the three choice drop down for availabe\unavailable\archive!

I suggested adding the other two "cache status" choices because I use right click menus a lot in Windows (it's a default instinct at this point when I'm not sure how to do something) and assume others might look for it there, and because I was thinking that as soon as you implemented the three choice drop down, someone would ask "why aren't the other cache statuses there?"!

Hmm, I take your point - and think it is enough to convince me to tip the scales in favour of adding them. :tired:

I had originally thought to request a broader status change capability, but I have learned that things happen incrementally and I didn't want to push my luck with things that would be nice but are not as important to me. Being able to change other status characteristics rapidly seems inevitable. Thanks, Clyde, for being so open to suggestions. - Hynr.

Hi ClydeE, et al

I'm a very happy customer of GSAK that wants to see if it's possible to do something... this may be a half GSAK and half GPSBabel question for all I know. :anibad:

I'd like to export to multiple individual text files. Similar to the HTML output option, but without most of the HTML formatting... I'd like the files to be individually named (by waypoint or whatever).

And then... I'd love it if I could go further and get the same index type files like the HTML output, but with only simple linking.

Why? (you may well ask...) well... I've got this toy called an iPod... and I learned that it can do some stuff that may not be obvious: http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/secrets/se...actor/index.php

If it can be done, (or even partway done - where I can finish it myself) I'd love it. Being a programmer myself, I could do it, but if it's already done, or simple for someone to do, then I'd rather not!

Thanks in advance

I don't think so. Although I haven't played with it yet. Since it's not natively supported in GSAK I haven't tried it too far yet.

In addition, I'd rather have the links through a main "index" document like the html type.

Alan

[edited typo]

Edited by LeBuckZoo

OK Robert,

The "Custom Export" option in GSAK allows me to try the vcard option, but I'm not sure that I've got the command line right.

For instance, I'm not sure how to get multiple .vcf files (one for each cache, for instance) or even if I really need them (it appears that I do, but I'm not sure).

[edit - answered my own question, I don't need multiple files]

-----

Edited and added following comments

Now I've played with it, and this does seem to work, but it's still not as optimal as a mini-html file. The indexes that Clyde includes in those really makes it cool! I was hoping that maybe he could just add a checkbox to the HTML export for use this way?

Alan

PS BTW, The iPod crashes with more than 2000 contacts in it - I didn't put that many into my query, it just thought there were that many in the vcf file.

Edited by LeBuckZoo

I noticed something new and odd today. I am using version 5.1.4. I right clicked on a waypoint and selected "Show Online - In Browser" and I get taken to the Mapquest page for that cache and not the geocaching.com page. Is it me and my settings or ...

Thanks.

I noticed something new and odd today. I am using version 5.1.4. I right clicked on a waypoint and selected "Show Online - In Browser" and I get taken to the Mapquest page for that cache and not the geocaching.com page. Is it me and my settings or ...

Thanks.

Every waypoint in GSAK allows for an associated URL.

When you take the option "Show online in browser" GSAK opens your browser at that URL

If you are loading GPX or LOC files from geocaching.com this URL field in GSAK is automatically populated witht he corresponding link to the cache at gc.com

However, it your waypoint is from another source (manual addition for example) this field may be blank (right mouse click, select edit to check). When the URL is blank, GSAK defaults to showing the waypoint position using MapQuest

OK Robert,

The "Custom Export" option in GSAK allows me to try the vcard option, but I'm not sure that I've got the command line right.

For instance, I'm not sure how to get multiple .vcf files (one for each cache, for instance) or even if I really need them (it appears that I do, but I'm not sure).

[edit - answered my own question, I don't need multiple files]

-----

Edited and added following comments

Now I've played with it, and this does seem to work, but it's still not as optimal as a mini-html file. The indexes that Clyde includes in those really makes it cool! I was hoping that maybe he could just add a checkbox to the HTML export for use this way?

Alan

PS BTW, The iPod crashes with more than 2000 contacts in it - I didn't put that many into my query, it just thought there were that many in the vcf file.

The indexing etc is done using HTML, but your original post was asking about text files. I can't see how the indexing would work for text files.

Does the ipod support HTML or not?

Does the ipod support HTML or not?

Sort of...

according to the article posted:

These tags are limited to line breaks (<br>), opening and closing paragraph marks (<p> and </p>, respectively), and a tag for creating titles (<TITLE>The Title You Want</TITLE>).

Normal HTML rules don’t apply: a <p> tag, for instance, doesn’t create a space after a paragraph. You need to use a <p> and a <br> tag, as we do here, or use two <p>s or two <br>s.

in addition it supports the <a> tag...

<a href="folder name/note name">the link text</a>.

The link I gave earlier: http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/secrets/se...actor/index.php gives the details on this.

Alan

Hi - I have been using GSAK for several months as a registered user and like it a lot. Thanks for all the updates and improvements. My question is concerning "user flags" in GSAK and "bookmarked" caches in Cachemate for my palm. Is there any connection between these - can the user flags in GSAK become bookmarks in cachemate? Thanks, Stevoreno

Thanks.

Every waypoint in GSAK allows for an associated URL.

When you take the option "Show online in browser" GSAK opens your browser at that URL

If you are loading GPX or LOC files from geocaching.com this URL field in GSAK is automatically populated witht he corresponding link to the cache at gc.com

However, it your waypoint is from another source (manual addition for example) this field may be blank (right mouse click, select edit to check). When the URL is blank, GSAK defaults to showing the waypoint position using MapQuest

You learn something new everyday. Thanks.

What does ipod do with tags that aren't on that list? Does it just ignore them? If so, matters of ugliness aside (and not handling <p> _and_ <br> is just lame) wouldn't GSAK's existing HTML output work?

If extra tags make the ipod tank in some way and there's an expectation that GSAK parse the potpourri of HTML-like substances that appear in the PQs and decompose them into ipod-ese I pray for Clyde's sanity that he has the good judgement to walk away. :-)

Sorry if this one has been asked before but I'm wondering when you'll be supporting the new Garmin .gdb format?

Please see this post

There are two extra things that factor in that demotivate me even more on .gdb.

A) Mapsource versionsthat read/write .gdb still handle .mps just fine and the existing .mps support in GPSBabel (and thus, GSAK) is, after a mere 2 1/2 years, pretty robust now. About the only thing you gain from .gdb over .mps is the ability to associate a link with a waypoint.

B) Mapsource versions that read/write .gdb also handle GPX which is an open, documented standard that Garmin can't gratituously break at whim. GSAK & GPSBabel support GPX Very Well for this reason.

So I really don't see the motivation to chase Garmin's tail on .gdb. Do you?

(Be prepared to back any "yes" answer with the resources to either do the development or fund it.)

Hey ClydeE, great program, couldn't live without it, would still be a bargain if it was 5 times the price.

Don't know if you're looking for extra features to implement (can there be many left?) but:

I often look at a cache & in the description field there are additional co-ordinates giving, eg: for parking or something like that. Before I do these caches I add an extra waypoint with a descriptive name eg: "Big Cache Parking" so that that WP appears on my map. Rather than me type these co-ords in, it would be great if I could right click on a cache and select "Extract WP's", and GSAK would attempt to extract the additional WP's as extra caches with some sort of reasonable description attached.

Thanks for listening...

Hey ClydeE, great program, couldn't live without it, would still be a bargain if it was 5 times the price.

Don't know if you're looking for extra features to implement (can there be many left?) but:

I often look at a cache & in the description field there are additional co-ordinates giving, eg: for parking or something like that. Before I do these caches I add an extra waypoint with a descriptive name eg: "Big Cache Parking" so that that WP appears on my map. Rather than me type these co-ords in, it would be great if I could right click on a cache and select "Extract WP's", and GSAK would attempt to extract the additional WP's as extra caches with some sort of reasonable description attached.

Thanks for listening...

Yep, this one is on "the list"

I have been told it is a bit of a *black art* to get it right, but the initial offering will pull out the most obvious waypoints and I will work on the algorithm from there.

When will this happen? Well, where would the fun be if I removed the anticipation <_<B)

While I understand that GSAK is tradionally used for geocaching, it also grabs non-GC Waypoints that I have in my Garmin.

So my question is, is there a way to mark a 'cache' so that it won't be sent to the unit?

It looks like you can specify the range you want to send, but it would be nice to be able to flag particular caches as 'Do Not Send'. That way you could continue to have them there and just not have them sent.

Why would I want a non-GC in GSAK? Because then I can use other tools likes points of reference, etc.

My Home coordinates are listed as a Waypoint, but everytime I send, it creates a new one called Home1 with a different icon etc.

Am I missing something obvious?

-D

While I understand that GSAK is tradionally used for geocaching, it also grabs non-GC Waypoints that I have in my Garmin.

So my question is, is there a way to mark a 'cache' so that it won't be sent to the unit?

It looks like you can specify the range you want to send, but it would be nice to be able to flag particular caches as 'Do Not Send'. That way you could continue to have them there and just not have them sent.

Why would I want a non-GC in GSAK? Because then I can use other tools likes points of reference, etc.

My Home coordinates are listed as a Waypoint, but everytime I send, it creates a new one called Home1 with a different icon etc.

-D

What I wound up doing was to create a filter which only has active caches on it, and marked my other non-GC waypoints as not available.

So then I switch to the active filter before sending.

Is that the right way?

-D

This is what filters are for.

All you need to do is find something that all these waypoints have in common. The most obvious choice in this scenario is cache type. That is, I would suggest when you add these waypoints to the GSAK database you give them a cache type of "Other" (you are probably already doing this)

Now when you send waypoints down to your GPS just set a filter that excludes the "Other" waypoint type

How?

1. Click on Search=>Filter

2. Click on the "Other" tab

3. Remove the tick from the "other" check box

4. Click on GO

You now have a subset of waypoints that excludes the cache type of "Other"

When you take the option to send to your GPS only these waypoints will be sent.

If just cache type is not enough, then take a look at all the options available in the filter dialog - I'm sure you will be able to come up with the required criteria to omit these waypoints.

What does ipod do with tags that aren't on that list? Does it just ignore them? If so, matters of ugliness aside (and not handling <p> _and_ <br> is just lame) wouldn't GSAK's existing HTML output work?

If extra tags make the ipod tank in some way and there's an expectation that GSAK parse the potpourri of HTML-like substances that appear in the PQs and decompose them into ipod-ese I pray for Clyde's sanity that he has the good judgement to walk away. :-)

Unfortunately, it displays them... it doesn't tank... it just shows all of the tags EXCEPT the few it recognizes as text. In other words, I see

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<style type='text/css'>

When I open an html file.

What's different is that the name of the file in the iPod is not listed, but the title (from the <title>Cache Name</title> tag) is, and whenever an <a> tag is present, it does show as a link.

If Clyde has the "good judgement to just walk away" I wouldn't be upset. As I said, I'm also a programmer and will write an HTML stripper for the iPod if I need to myself. I was just wanting to know if it was easy for Clyde to do.

Thanks again for the comments.

Alan

Unfortunately, it displays them... it doesn't tank... it just shows all of the tags EXCEPT the few it recognizes as text. In other words, I see

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<style type='text/css'>

When I open an html file.

What's different is that the name of the file in the iPod is not listed, but the title (from the <title>Cache Name</title> tag) is, and whenever an <a> tag is present, it does show as a link.

If Clyde has the "good judgement to just walk away" I wouldn't be upset. As I said, I'm also a programmer and will write an HTML stripper for the iPod if I need to myself. I was just wanting to know if it was easy for Clyde to do.

Thanks again for the comments.

Alan

Not necessarily difficult, but it would be a non trivial task. Also, at this stage I have the total requests of 1 for this feature - sorry :(

Unless the situation changes dramatically, I feel my energy is better spent adding other features that are more widely asked for. Not much help to you, but I also suspect future versions of the Ipod will have more standard HTML support.

Not necessarily difficult, but it would be a non trivial task. Also, at this stage I have the total requests of 1 for this feature - sorry 

Unless the situation changes dramatically, I feel my energy is better spent adding other features that are more widely asked for. Not much help to you, but I also suspect future versions of the Ipod will have more standard HTML support.

As I said, no problem! Just thought I'd ask!

Alan

Not necessarily difficult, but it would be a non trivial task. Also, at this stage I have the total requests of 1 for this feature

2 :ph34r:

But since I use Cachemate for right now, its not that big a deal to me. But that does have me thinking about having one less electronic device with me while hiking since I always have my iPod.

Wait me *not* carry a device if I can at all! Thats like saying Magellan will start releasing firmware updates as often as Garmin!

Edited by Dan_Edwards

ClydeE wrote:

Unless the situation changes dramatically, I feel my energy is better spent adding other features that are more widely asked for.

Well... like I said... I'm a programmer. :ph34r:

I built a cheap and dirty app that converts the HTML output from GSAK to the format that an iPod likes to see. Yes, it does the cross linking etc.

You can get a very beta version at http://www.topcats.net/Software

I decided to have it convert any htm file that it finds in the source directory into an ".hpd" file. This file is designed to work in the iPod's Notes folder.

Limitations: The iPod will only handle 1000 files and it will only display the first 4K worth of data. (Hey, remember that an iPod is supposed to be a music playing device... I don't really want to hear any whining about these limitations. :ph34r: )

:ph34r: There's no documentation. I built it for me! But, it should be relatively straightforward to use.

I'm listing it here in case other requests for it come up.

Thanks again for the great software!

Alan

Alan

Just an FYI: Latest build (5.1.4.10) doesn't appear to be restoring current 'centre point' when you reload a filter you saved with the option checked. Not sure why. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: My bad, I guess it is reloading the 'centre point' its just not updating the Locations drop down with the saved 'centre point.' I guess thats for good reason, DISREGARD.

Edited by pcmike

I often look at a cache & in the description field there are additional co-ordinates giving, eg: for parking or something like that.  Before I do these caches I add an extra waypoint with a descriptive name eg: "Big Cache Parking" so that that WP appears on my map.  Rather than me type these co-ords in, it would be great if I could right click on a cache and select "Extract WP's", and GSAK would attempt to extract the additional WP's as extra caches with some sort of reasonable description attached.

Thanks for listening...

Yep, this one is on "the list"

I have been told it is a bit of a *black art* to get it right, but the initial offering will pull out the most obvious waypoints and I will work on the algorithm from there.

When will this happen? Well, where would the fun be if I removed the anticipation ;):huh:

Looks like one enterprising GSAK user has come up with his own work around for this.

Try adding the following custom URL to GSAK

Co-Ord Grabber=http://boulter.com/gps/grabber/grabcoords.php?url=www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=%code

Clyde,

Great program! I'm still on the learning curve. I've run into a problem with GSAK that I need your help with. I have Norton Anti Virus 2004. When I try to do a full system scan with "scan within compressed files" turned on Norton bombs out when scanning the GSAK folders. The Norton error says "unable to scan because critical error occurred during the scan". If I turn the "scan within compressed files" option off then Norton completes the scan without a problem. Do you have any idea what's going on here? Thanks, Eric

I know it's already been discussed, but can't find it :huh:

How do I export only a selected number of caches? Let's say my database has 500 entries, but I only want to export the closest 200 to my centre point to TomTom or CacheMate.

Thanks!

John

Clyde,

Great program! I'm still on the learning curve. I've run into a problem with GSAK that I need your help with. I have Norton Anti Virus 2004. When I try to do a full system scan with "scan within compressed files" turned on Norton bombs out when scanning the GSAK folders. The Norton error says "unable to scan because critical error occurred during the scan". If I turn the "scan within compressed files" option off then Norton completes the scan without a problem. Do you have any idea what's going on here? Thanks, Eric

Yea, Norton is not up to the task of reading the gsak.exe file (compressed using the excellent free software http://upx.sourceforge.net/)

However, you can exempt certain files and/or folders from being scanned, so I would just exempt any GSAK compressed files that Norton barfs at.

Note: Futher to this, as I have had reports of "strange" behaviour with some virus scanning software and real time protection. I would recommend that everyone exempts the GSAK folder from real time scanning/protection. You will find this will make GSAK quicker and more stable.

I wasn't sure where to ask this question...so here goes..

I see on GSAK theres a spot for "user notes" which is really useful. Anyone know if these can be exported into a garmin 76CS? I tried writing some test notes and they didnt seem to be..... I appreciate any help...

(Did a forum search and came up empty)

Edited by mantis7

All I can get the 60 to accept is 30 characters of the cache name and hider.

I have GSAK set for cache name, by, dif and ter. -- not enough characters.

If there is a way to get more I'd like to know too.

When you select a waypoint under find - there is a screen with a Note field. This is what I am referring to.

cc

1. I just reinstall after my computer had to be reformatted. I can't seem to find

%dist as one f the specials that give the cache distance from home. What happened to it?

2. I've restored my archived files but when I now update I'm getting duplicates of all the caches. What am I missing?

Tks Alan