GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I'm having trouble uploading waypoints from GSAK. I have a page with 50 waypoints,but I only want to upload 4 of them, which are in the middle of the page. I have used the (clear all user flags) & then checked the 4 that I want to upload. I then checked (set for filter only) & all the waypoints have a checkmark.I can't seem to get the 4 that I want into my GPS. I'm sure it's something simple,but I can't seem to figure it out.

Nearly got it right. Just the last step is wrong (don't do the set for filter only bit) . You should be just setting a filter on User flag = set, then you will have a subset of just those 4 caches to send to your GPSr

Please also see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm.

I'm still not sure what you mean by (user flag equals set) I guess I am getting closer if I have got it down to the last step. Thanks for the help

After setting the user flags for the waypoints you want to download to your GPSr, click on Search>Filter, or press Ctrl-F, or click on the Filter button on the toolbar (looks like a magnifying glass over a piece of paper), whichever is easiest for you.

On the general tab of the "Set Filter" dialog, to the right of "User Flag Set", UNcheck the "Not Set" box. Click the "Save" button and name this filter "User Flag = Set". Click "Go".

This will filter the database so that only the waypoints with the user flag set are showing, and only those caches will then be downloaded to your GPSr when you "send waypoints".

Since you saved the filter, in the future you can just choose "User Flag = Set" from the "Select a Saved Filter" drop down and then send only your marked waypoints to the GPSr.

Thanks a ton for explaining this process step by step! Works like a champ,now that I know how to do it. I've still got a lot to learn, but at least I'm over this hurdle.Thanks again!!

BUG.

I was trying to talk a friend through the setup for MapSend and mSD waypoint generation. Selecting the icons for waypoints the icons didn't match the name.

For example the Box name had a camping icon next to it. I don't remember it being like this when I first installed GSAK. I haven't looked at the icons since I installed 'till I needed to explain the process to my friend. The crossed box had the Ariel icon next to it. ect... Not all of them were mismatched though.

This is very strange. I have no other reports of this problem.

What do you mean by "MapSend and mSD"? (or more to the point, what is mSD)

Are you saying you see the problem in MapSend or mSD or both ?

I think Leatherman is referring to Magellan SD card Protocol (mSD is on the toolbar button for that).

I'm seeing the same phenomenon in my setup (working the latest beta build). It appears that from the end of the icon list up to "shooting" things match up alright. From "scuba" lines up with the RV icon, and everything on up is off by one in this fashion.

BUG.

I was trying to talk a friend through the setup for MapSend and mSD waypoint generation. Selecting the icons for waypoints the icons didn't match the name.

For example the Box name had a camping icon next to it. I don't remember it being like this when I first installed GSAK. I haven't looked at the icons since I installed 'till I needed to explain the process to my friend. The crossed box had the Ariel icon next to it. ect... Not all of them were mismatched though.

This is very strange. I have no other reports of this problem.

What do you mean by "MapSend and mSD"? (or more to the point, what is mSD)

Are you saying you see the problem in MapSend or mSD or both ?

I think Leatherman is referring to Magellan SD card Protocol (mSD is on the toolbar button for that).

I'm seeing the same phenomenon in my setup (working the latest beta build). It appears that from the end of the icon list up to "shooting" things match up alright. From "scuba" lines up with the RV icon, and everything on up is off by one in this fashion.

WOW :lol: Sorry, yes I can see this now. I don't know how this got by for so long without anyone picking it up :unsure:

GSAK 5.1.3 sorted the icon names in alphabetical sequence, but the actual associated icons are still in number sequence.

I can fix this, but the question is which way to jump

Options are:

1. Leave the icons and names in numerical sequence (the way they were before 5.1.3 - I don't own a Magellan but I think this is the same sequence as shown in your GPSr) Anyway, if you look at the actual icons (pictures), that is the order I am referring to.

2. Sort the icon names alphabetically (and make sure the icons (pictures) match the names)

If you have an opinion on this and can spare the time and energy, could you please email me your comments to clyde at gsak.net (rather than clogging up this thread)

Edited by ClydeE

it wasn't like this before clyde - I was recenty changing the icons in both my magellan ( you told me about saving the files -- and I found the bug) but they are a real mess right now - in both sections -

as a matter of fact - looking at my saved icons - these are not even correct any more. I didn't notice because I have not done any upload changes to the gps lately.

it wasn't like this before clyde - I was recenty changing the icons in both my magellan ( you told me about saving the files -- and I found the bug) but they are a real mess right now - in both sections -

as a matter of fact - looking at my saved icons - these are not even correct any more. I didn't notice because I have not done any upload changes to the gps lately.

I'm not quite sure I understand.

It should only be the little icon/pictures in GSAK that are wrong.

That is, if the name of the icon says "house" then the house icon should be sent down to MapSend and your GPS. It is just that if you look at the corresponding icon/picture in GSAK is is showing the "golf" icon.

Are you saying this is not the case?

sorry - guess I was not clear -

before the last update the icons matched the title - I had reported a bug or two that related to this area so I was quite familiar with them.

both drop down lists are off but that makes sense since they likely use the same list.

I am not sure what is actually misplaced but my selections in the two boxes for basic and advanced icons are not what I had picked and saved.

Adv. shows shooting and 4 arials - [ I believe it is the name that is wrong - not the icon ] I had chosed the large city icon and it shows shooting and two concentric rings - don't know what shooting is supposed to look like.

Basic says crossed square but shows the tent for camping - I had chosen crossed square.

some of them are correct like the tree for park and the binocs for sightseeing.

OK, back again with another problem.

I've just purchased GSAK, and I'm really glad I did. But now, whatever I do it asks if I would like to back up my databases and then closes itself. If I try to load a pocket query, if I try to filter caches, whatever I do it closes. I have the newest version and have put in my code to show that I bought it.

I can't live without it!

Awkward Socks

OK, back again with another problem.

I've just purchased GSAK, and I'm really glad I did. But now, whatever I do it asks if I would like to back up my databases and then closes itself. If I try to load a pocket query, if I try to filter caches, whatever I do it closes. I have the newest version and have put in my code to show that I bought it.

I can't live without it!

Awkward Socks

??? :wacko::lol::unsure:

"Tools=>Send debug info to Clyde" then email me the tracking number

Hi. I have a question that's probably been asked a dozen times, but can't seem to find a answer on this topic. I don't understand how to use GSAK/Mapsource to create a Mapsource file that contains icons that show "cache type." E.g., I want to see a symbol (icon) for a micro-cache rather than the default "traditional" cache icon. I've played around with the Mapsource settings ("cache type only") and see an airport symbols (etc.) assoicated. Then I tried copying some custom icons I found somewhere and put these in various GSAK directories, I created a GarminOther.txt file and entered "000; traditional" I put a bitmap (filename "000") both in the main GSAK directory and the images directory. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The problem I'm having may be with Mapsource ... not understanding how to display these custom icons.

Does anyone have a link to specific instructions (idiot proof, because there's something I'm not understanding) to do this. E.g., "here are some wonderful icons I used and this is exactly what I did to have these icons show up on Mapsource and a 60cs..."

Thanks in advance.

Hal

Well, it's working this morning. I didn't do anything. A few days ago it was saying something about being corrupted, and I needed to update it (I just had). Yesterday it would close when I was loading the queries. But this morning, for some reason, it has started working again. I can still send the stuff if you want it, Clyde.

Awkward Socks

Hi...

I have three questions, one of which is related to a previous discussion we've had. I'm a registered/paid user of GSAK.

(1) The Magellan GPSr (at least the SporTrak) will only give a description to 200 waypoint (even though it accepts 500 waypoints). Is there any way (via GSAK) to "decide" which waypoints get descriptions. For example, I'd like to give the 200 caches that are closest to my home coordinates a description, but at the same time, I'd like to fill the whole GPSr with waypoints (even if the next 300 don't have descriptions).

(2) Is there any way to have GSAK limit the waypoint upload to the 200 closest caches, without physically going through and checking the user checkbox myself?

(3) GSAK accurately lists my cache finds as finds, but it doesn't recognize my webcam finds automatically. Additionally, every time I download a new GPX file, the webcams that I personally marked as "found" become unmarked again. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks (as always) for all of your efforts!

-steve0mania

Can't help with question 1. For 2, there's a couple ways to limit your GPSr transfer to a certain number; the easiest to do manually is to just get your list in order, and to use the From and To boxes at the top of the "Send Waypoints to GPS" dialog. To do it as part of a macro, you can get your list sorted how you want, and then use the USERFLAG command to set flags on the first 200 waypoints, and then the FILTER command to use the "user flag = set" filter to only show those 200.

For 3, if you open the Edit Waypoint Properties for your waypoint, down towards the bottom of the dialog is a "Lock" checkbox. Check that, and this waypoint will not be overwritten by any data from a GPX import, regardless of your import settings.

Hope that helps.

The Magellans will give the comments to the FIRST 200 with comments. I'm pretty sure that GSAK gives them to GPSBabel in the order you see them on the screen, so if you sort by increasing distance from home, the file GSAK gives GPSBabel (and therefore what GPSBabel gives the GPS) will insure the 200 you're most likely to hunt will contain the comments.

I've ordered waypoint xfers to my Magellans this way - for this very reason - for years (albeit not with GSAK) for this very reason.

And if GSAK doesn't sort in this way, you can do it behind GSAK's back via the 'custom GPSBabel' epxort by building a radius filter before writing them downstream.

Semi-automatic logging -  I understand directions for logging one cache offline, but if I want to log more than one, do I have to create my own macro (which I don't have a clue how to do)  or can I just log an entire days caches offline at once, and then somehow log them on line?

Thanks!

You can enter a whole days worth of cache logging offline then use the "semi automatic logging" feature to log your cahces when you get online.

A a macro would help to make this process more automated (you still can't do the lot with just one click of a button) and GSAK even comes shipped with a very basic macro that will do this for you. So you don't really have to understand how to write a macro, just add a button with this macro to the tool bar.

Now all you need to do is set a filter for the caches you logged offline, then you can click on the new button you just created to log thes caches online (all be it one at a time)

For more information please see http://www.gsak.net/help/hs38020.htm

I read the help file and think I understand, but how do I add a button for the macro that is supplied by GSAK? How do I enable that macro?

Also I remember reading about this- but I can't find it any longer---- After exporting GSAK to html and then using Plucker to load into my PDA-- how to I get images to show up (like spoilers) in my PDA?

Thanks for all your help!

I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what....

I got ot Macro buttons configuration, Macro Button is called Macro 1, Button Text I made OL, Button description I put Log Cache, Macro File Name I put c:\gsak\macros\LogCache.txt Then I clicked SAVE. Is this the correct macro file name? I'm not sure what you meant when you said allocate the LogCache.txt file and configure the settings. I'm thinking what I just did above is what you meant. I then dragged the button to the toolbar.

Then I entered the 5 caches I found today offline, got online, and selected the button that I created (OL) I get the following message:

The macro file that you have allocated to this button does not exsist (may have been moved or deleted. The file this button is looking for is c:\gsak\macros\LogCache.txt

Please help, Thanks!!

I've set up a macro to: select a database, load the gpx/zip file(s) (pocket query file) for that database, export the html files, export Mapsource mps files. It then repeats the process for for all 10 of my databases. It works great and saves me a ton of time compared to doing it manually.

Is there anyway to evaluate the gpx file for a particular load to see if it has changed since the last time the macro was run and, if not, skip that file and move on to the next? I know I can set up a filter to compare if a waypoint has changed but is there a way to evaluate the gpx file so it doesn't even start the loading procedure? My pocket queries arrive on different days of the week due to groundspeaks 5 PQ/day limitation. So sometimes I run the macro and only some of the gpx files are new since I last ran the macro. It would be nice to skip the files that have not changed.

Edited by The4B's
Hi...

I have three questions, one of which is related to a previous discussion we've had. I'm a registered/paid user of GSAK.

(1) The Magellan GPSr (at least the SporTrak) will only give a description to 200 waypoint (even though it accepts 500 waypoints). Is there any way (via GSAK) to "decide" which waypoints get descriptions. For example, I'd like to give the 200 caches that are closest to my home coordinates a description, but at the same time, I'd like to fill the whole GPSr with waypoints (even if the next 300 don't have descriptions).

(2) Is there any way to have GSAK limit the waypoint upload to the 200 closest caches, without physically going through and checking the user checkbox myself?

(3) GSAK accurately lists my cache finds as finds, but it doesn't recognize my webcam finds automatically. Additionally, every time I download a new GPX file, the webcams that I personally marked as "found" become unmarked again. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks (as always) for all of your efforts!

-steve0mania

I believe questions 1 and 2 have been answered for you (basically, just sort your data by distance and you should be good to go). However, if you need further clarification please ask.

As for question 3, please see this post

I've set up a macro to: select a database, load the gpx/zip file(s) (pocket query file) for that database, export the html files, export Mapsource mps files. It then repeats the process for for all 10 of my databases. It works great and saves me a ton of time compared to doing it manually.

Is there anyway to evaluate the gpx file for a particular load to see if it has changed since the last time the macro was run and, if not, skip that file and move on to the next? I know I can set up a filter to compare if a waypoint has changed but is there a way to evaluate the gpx file so it doesn't even start the loading procedure? My pocket queries arrive on different days of the week due to groundspeaks 5 PQ/day limitation. So sometimes I run the macro and only some of the gpx files are new since I last ran the macro. It would be nice to skip the files that have not changed.

You can't do this natively in GSAK.

However, a creative user would be able to get around this by first writing an external program or batch file which did the compare and if the files were the same then just delete the file before GSAK sees it. Basically to impliment this in a bat file all you would need is a command line compare utility that returns an error code after comparing two files if they are different. A google search should be able to track such a utility down.

You could even include this batch file at the very start of your GSAK macro using the RUNPGM macro command.

I got ot Macro buttons configuration,  Macro Button is called Macro 1, Button Text I made OL, Button description I put Log Cache, Macro File Name I put c:\gsak\macros\LogCache.txt  Then I clicked SAVE.  Is this the correct macro file name?  I'm not sure what you meant when you said allocate the LogCache.txt file and configure the settings.  I'm thinking what I just did above is what you meant.  I then dragged the button to the toolbar.

Then I entered the 5 caches I found today offline, got online, and selected the button that I created (OL)  I get the following message:

The macro file that you have allocated to this button does not exsist (may have been moved or deleted.  The file this button is looking for is c:\gsak\macros\LogCache.txt

Please help,  Thanks!!

You are nearly there :P

The macro file LogCache.txt resides in the macro folder of the install folder of GSAK on your computer. So you will need to track down the path to where you installed GSAK (Just right click on the GSAK icon on your desktop and select Properties to see where GSAK is located.

If you just selected the defaults when you installed GSAK then the path is "C:\Program Files\GSAK" so in this case the file name for your macro1 would be C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\LogCache.txt

Edited by ClydeE

I got ot Macro buttons configuration,  Macro Button is called Macro 1, Button Text I made OL, Button description I put Log Cache, Macro File Name I put c:\gsak\macros\LogCache.txt  Then I clicked SAVE.  Is this the correct macro file name?  I'm not sure what you meant when you said allocate the LogCache.txt file and configure the settings.  I'm thinking what I just did above is what you meant.  I then dragged the button to the toolbar.

Then I entered the 5 caches I found today offline, got online, and selected the button that I created (OL)  I get the following message:

The macro file that you have allocated to this button does not exsist (may have been moved or deleted.  The file this button is looking for is c:\gsak\macros\LogCache.txt

Please help,  Thanks!!

You are nearly there :P

The macro file LogCache.txt resides in the macro folder of the install folder of GSAK on your computer. So you will need to track down the path to where you installed GSAK (Just right click on the GSAK icon on your desktop and select Properties to see where GSAK is located.

If you just selected the defaults when you installed GSAK then the path is "C:\Program Files\GSAK" so in this case the file name for your macro1 would be C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\LogCache.txt

Got it --- Thanks.

Just one more question--- I'm assuming (I know what happens when you assume) that now that I have filtered the caches I did the logs for offline, I just highlight one, hit my macro button, paste and submit. And, then do the same for each one individually??

This is a great program and I really appreciate all the support you give (especially to those who aren't that computer savvy!

Got it --- Thanks.

Just one more question--- I'm assuming (I know what happens when you assume) that now that I have filtered the caches I did the logs for offline, I just highlight one, hit my macro button, paste and submit. And, then do the same for each one individually??

Yep, you got it :P

You can't do this natively in GSAK.

However, a creative user would be able to get around this by first writing an external program or batch file which did the compare and if the files were the same then just delete the file before GSAK sees it. Basically to impliment this in a bat file all you would need is a command line compare utility that returns an error code after comparing two files if they are different. A google search should be able to track such a utility down.

You could even include this batch file at the very start of your GSAK macro using the RUNPGM macro command.

Instead of managing all the input files like i used to (I don't know why I would keep copying the originals to my PDA every time, even though I only used my hitlist), what I do is bring the GPX files in and delete them. So there are never any old GPX files to worry about. I guess if I absolutely did want to keep them, I would move them to another directory with overwrite anyway. This would be a much simpler process than worrying about determining dates and stuff. SO I guess what I'm saying is that you could also do it after bringing in the files, and always keeping your inbound folder clear.

From GSAK, I automatically export only the GPX files I want to a separate folder.

(With the 5.2 beta, I'm rocking and rolling - I don't even use Outlook anymore - I've got a separate gmail for just GPX files, a button which brings all the emails in, and a button which does the export/maplet/mightysync - two clicks - which could even be one. Y'all are going to freaking love 5.2!!!!!!!!!)

Yeah, I had 4 different macros set up to import the PQ, export the PDB, export to GPS, etc. Just for fun, I cut/pasted them all together, did some condensing, and stuck it all on one macro button. I don't usually use it, since the PDA doesn't need updates very often, but it's sure a gas when I do. Wheee! Clyde, you should stick A-for-Automated somewhere in the acronym.

It has been a while since I used this macro (that did work fine a while back) but now I am getting this error:

Error in Macro at line: 11

Export Type=TXT File=C:\DeLorme Docs\Draw\Yuma.txt"

Error=>Export Type is nvalid:TXT

Macro will now abort

(yes, invalid is spelled nvalid, in the message)

What is wrong?

PS: I am trying to export a file to be opened in Topo USA as a draw file.

Edited by wornout
It has been a while since I used this macro (that did work fine a while back) but now I am getting this error:

Macro will now abort

What is wrong?

PS: I am trying to export a file to be opened in Topo USA as a draw file.

Please see the help file for the valid export types.

But to cut to the chase the line for Topo USA should be:

Export Type=DEL File="C:\DeLorme Docs\Draw\Yuma.txt"

Macro will now abort

What is wrong?

PS:  I am trying to export a file to be opened in Topo USA as a draw file.

Please see the help file for the valid export types.

But to cut to the chase the line for Topo USA should be:

Export Type=DEL File="C:\DeLorme Docs\Draw\Yuma.txt"

OK, I see it has changed from TXT to DEL, thanks Clyde.

BTW, I did go to the 'help', 'contents' 'index' before writing. The first entries that show up in that window, in the #2 Click the index...., are ".CSV .GPX .LOC .MPS .MXF .PDB .PSP .TPG .TXT .WPT .ZIP", but no .DEL. So I didn't search anymore and just wrote here. After I got your answer above, I did go to the 'FIND' tab and see that is where I should have gone in the first place.

Thanks again for the great GSAK program.

Minor Bug.

Some of the dialog boxes don't appear correctly at different screen resolutions. For example I'm at 1280 x 1024 and the first import screen show part of the hidden "advanced" form options at the bottom.

This is just a minor thing. I haven't played around with GSAK enough to know if any of the dialog boxes actually aren't functional because of the resolution display diifferences, but when you get bored (HA!), you might want to check out how GSAK looks at different resolutions.

Great program!

Minor Bug.

Some of the dialog boxes don't appear correctly at different screen resolutions. For example I'm at 1280 x 1024 and the first import screen show part of the hidden "advanced" form options at the bottom.

This is just a minor thing. I haven't played around with GSAK enough to know if any of the dialog boxes actually aren't functional because of the resolution display diifferences, but when you get bored (HA!), you might want to check out how GSAK looks at different resolutions.

Great program!

Hmm, I run at the same resolution and don't see this.

Could you please send me a screen shot.

Have you set you system settings such that your screen font is something larger than normal?

Not sure if this has been covered or not, but I had an issue with the columns in GSAK turning black when I clicked on the heading to sort them. Since I have a custom color scheme on my XP laptop, I figured it was related to this, but I didn't have a chance to figure it out til this morning.

Seems the columns use the "message box" font but the background color from "tooltip" when the header is clicked to sort. In my case, since I had a black background on my tooltips and a black font in my message boxes, the entire column just turned black when I sorted it!

hope this helps someone.

happy GCing,

~daxe

Wel I am looking at the 2003 & 2004 versions as described on Amazon, and it kind of scares me. Most are "ripping" Microsoft for selling a very poor product.

My goal is to create a street map for my PALM that can be referenced when driving to the closest point for the cache. It looks like 2004 has pocket maps that work with the palm. I am trying to be paperless.

Is there a better way to do this?

S&T has a module for Pocket PC, but not for Palm. (I'm sure that's totally unrelated to the fact that MS sells the OS on Pocket PC but not Palm devices.)

I found the differences between 2003, 2004, and 2005 to be extremely incremental. Yes, there are some map updates. If they charged $100 for an upgrade (like Magellan or Garmin) I'd have had a cow. Since you can often find S&T for around $20 or less if you're willing to play the rebate game, the upgrade treadmill is less painful.

The following macro ran fine until I upgraded to version 5.1.4. The problem occurs when it reaches the line to start the "My Found Caches (GSAK Default) filter. I get an I/O error 1392. Any ideas??? I added the Debug command after the problem began. I have also found the same error occurs with a manual GPX export of the same filter. Any help would be appreciated.

DEBUG Status=On

LOAD Settings="Default" database="Main"

DATABASE Name="Main" Action=select

CENTRE LOCATION="Home"

FILTER Name="000-025 Miles"

EXPORT Type=GPX File="H:\GPX Data\000-025_Miles.gpx"

ENDFILTER

FILTER Name="026-050 Miles"

EXPORT Type=GPX File="H:\GPX Data\026-050_Miles.gpx"

ENDFILTER

FILTER Name="051-075 Miles"

EXPORT TYPE=GPX File="H:\GPX Data\051-076_Miles.gpx"

ENDFILTER

FILTER Name="My Found Caches (GSAK Default)"

EXPORT Type=GPX File="H:\GPX Data\Found.gpx"

EXPORT Type=WPT File="K:\Dan\My Documents\Geocaching Files\GPXData\Found Caches.wpt"

EXPORT Type=SNT File="K:\Dan\My Documents\Geocaching Files\GPXData\Found Caches.csv"

ENDFILTER

FILTER Name="Unfound Caches"

EXPORT Type=GPX File="H:\GPX Data\Home-50Miles.gpx"

EXPORT Type=WPT File="K:\Dan\My Documents\Geocaching Files\GPXData\Unfound Caches.wpt"

EXPORT Type=SNT File="K:\Dan\My Documents\Geocaching Files\GPXData\Unfound Caches.csv"

ENDFILTER

EXIT

The following macro ran fine until I upgraded to version 5.1.4. The problem occurs when it reaches the line to start the "My Found Caches (GSAK Default) filter. I get an I/O error 1392. Any ideas??? I added the Debug command after the problem began. I have also found the same error occurs with a manual GPX export of the same filter. Any help would be appreciated.

I/O error 1392 is a system error with the text "The file or directory is corrupt and non-readable"

So I don't think it is the filter that is the problem but rather the export you are trying to do.

I get the feeling the file "H:\GPX Data\Found.gpx" is corrupt on your system and now GSAK can neither overwrite it nor delete it, hence the error.

Try deleting the file manually using windows explorer first or perhaps try exporting with a different name.

Hey ClydeE

Recently a number of the caches in my area have been pulled to make room for some newer caches. I have already found them and want to get rid of them from my list. However if I do that my "Found" count goes down. Is there a way to get rid of the archived caches but still keep my numbers, and make room for newer caches?

Thanks

Shifty

Hey ClydeE

Recently a number of the caches in my area have been pulled to make room for some newer caches. I have already found them and want to get rid of them from my list. However if I do that my "Found" count goes down. Is there a way to get rid of the archived caches but still keep my numbers, and make room for newer caches?

Thanks

Shifty

The easiest way would be to create another database, call it My Finds, and Move (Database=>Move/Copy Waypoints...) your found caches into it. That way you get record of all your finds, but can keep your main database 'clean'.

Filters are handy for this too. You can set up a filter of active, unfound caches to see what's available to hunt, without seeing any of your finds.

Hey ClydeE

Thanks

Shifty

It might help to ask why you want to get rid of them in your default GSAK database? Why do you need "to make room"?

"It might help to ask why you want to get rid of them in your default GSAK database? Why do you need "to make room"?"

Just dont wanna look at em.:) Personal preferance kinda thing. If the caches have been pulled. there is no reason for me to have them around anymore. Might as well delete them

"It might help to ask why you want to get rid of them in your default GSAK database? Why do you need "to make room"?"

Just dont wanna look at em.:) Personal preferance kinda thing. If the caches have been pulled. there is no reason for me to have them around anymore. Might as well delete them

I keep all my found caches in a "Found" database. My default database is only for my local "Not Found" only. Essentially my current working set. When I log my finds I mark them as found in GSAK, hit the filter to only see those marked as found, then move them all to my "Found" database.

Filter the waypoint/s you wish to delete.

Then select 'Waypoint', 'Delete', 'All waypoints in filter', 'Also stop futire imports adding back in' and press the 'OK' button.

This should accomplish what you desire.

edited to add: You can also do the same by right clicking on a waypoint and selecting the above sequence.

Edited by Motley Crew

Yes, the filtering works good. I was just wondering if there was a way to click on the column header to sort by cache status.

For example, all the archived would appear first, then disabled, then found, then not found ... or something like that.

Thanks.

John

Also... is there a way to list the caches by MY find date?

I'm trying to reconcile the CG.com list (which is sorted by my find date) and the GSAK database. I'm one cache off and trying to figure out which one is not in GSAK.

If you have "my found date" showing in the grid (list) view, just click the header of that column. Per Windows convention, clicking the column header again reverses the sort order.

OK... very cool... can add lots of columns I didn't see. The "found by me" is perfect.

So now I've spent 1.5 hours reconciling the CG.com and GSAK listings for my found caches.

How do I backup / restore this database to my other computer? I see the restore function and I see five GSAKautoX.zip files in the Backup directory.

Do I have to restore all 5 of these zip files in the backup directory one by one onto my other computer?

Thanks!

Edited by robotman

I/O error 1392 is a system error with the text "The file or directory is corrupt and non-readable"

So I don't think it is the filter that is the problem but rather the export you are trying to do.

I get the feeling the file "H:\GPX Data\Found.gpx" is corrupt on your system and now GSAK can neither overwrite it nor delete it, hence the error.

Try deleting the file manually using windows explorer first or perhaps try exporting with a different name.

Thanks Clyde. Something was definitely corrupted. I deleted the file as you suggested, but ultimately I had to format the SD memory card to solve the problem. All is well now. Thanks again!

How do I backup / restore this database to my other computer?  I see the restore function and I see five GSAKautoX.zip files in the Backup directory. 

Do I have to restore all 5 of these zip files in the backup directory one by one onto my other computer?

Thanks!

No. Each time an automatic backup is done, it's named '1', the old '1' named '2' and so on, the old '5' is deleted. This gives you 5 generations of backup. All you need is to restore the latest backup file to your other computer.