GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I have been trying for days to get my Ique M5 to be reconized by GASK. What the heavens am i doing wrong here?? :ninja:  :ninja:  :P  :ninja:

just what is it you are trying to do?

Unless I have missed something I dont' think GSAK interfaces directly with a PDA - is for sending receiving to/from the GPS.

You can creat HTML and convert to PDA then you should be able to download whatever you want directly to the PDA - either directly or with the memory card.

Make sure that you don't have some other program using the Serial port. That is if you are using a program to upload to the PDA make sure you have your sync disabled.

Edited by CompuCash

Clyde, one thing you might want to consider is adding support for exports to plucker, like you do for cachemate. Now I realize for cachemate you just execute the single conversion program under the covers. I also know that this program is included in the installation package for GSAK. Whereas plucker's distiller "program" is really a bunch of python scripts as well as python itself and consists of 800+ files taking up 25+ Megs. If your installation package installed it everytime it would use up a lot diskspace for someone not using plucker However I would think that potentially you could spot the fact plucker has been installed and then allow exports to it.

Now this is more for other people than me. For myself I wrote a macro, which triggers an export to HTML then uses the RUNPGM macro command to run the plucker distiller against the HTML GSAK created.

Like I said, it is just a thought.

(snip)

How about a way to support multiple GPSes for sending waypoints as opposed to having to reconfigure for a different one?

(snip)

GSAK already supports this now! :mad:

When you send waypoints to your 60cs just click on the "Save" button and give the settings a meaningful name ("60CS" is hard to fault)

(snip)

Nice work!

Guess I need to modify my "click the bolt, hit enter" sequence from now on. :( Pulled it up, and sure enough.. I'll try to pay closer attention next time.

B)

We have noticed that when GSAK exports to a deLorme SA file, the icon option for found geocaches is output to the file as "GeocacheFound", but the deLorme programs icon list seems to expect "Geocache Found" as the icon name (a space separates the words). Even the GSAK documentation shows the icon name with a space in the name. Are we missing something or this this something that needs to be changed in GSAK?

We have noticed that when GSAK exports to a deLorme SA file, the icon option for found geocaches is output to the file as "GeocacheFound", but the deLorme programs icon list seems to expect "Geocache Found" as the icon name (a space separates the words). Even the GSAK documentation shows the icon name with a space in the name. Are we missing something or this this something that needs to be changed in GSAK?

Hmm, it would appear Delorme have been inconsistent here (or I have been given a bum steer by another user).

Another user that had Delorme Topo5 brought to my attention that the icon name "Geocache Found" (with the space) did not work and it should be changed to "GeocacheFound" (without a space) which does work in Topo5.

Can someone else with Topo5 confirm/deny this for me please?

The work around to fix this is to edit the file Delorme.txt (in the install folder of GSAK) with notepad or your favourite text editor and change as required.

(snip)

How about a way to support multiple GPSes for sending waypoints as opposed to having to reconfigure for a different one?

(snip)

GSAK already supports this now! :D

When you send waypoints to your 60cs just click on the "Save" button and give the settings a meaningful name ("60CS" is hard to fault)

(snip)

Nice work!

Guess I need to modify my "click the bolt, hit enter" sequence from now on. :lol: Pulled it up, and sure enough.. I'll try to pay closer attention next time.

:D

If this is something you do often then I suggest you write a macro for each and add tool buttons. Then you can click on the corresponding tool button and not have to press enter or think about it :D

Taking the example above the simple macro for the 60cs would be

EXPORT Type=GPS Settings="60CS"

How about an enhancement to combine or allow the user to use multiple abbreviation sets. The US and Canada sets are not mutually exclusive they can be used together since they don't reuse the same ones.

GSAK can do this now! :lol:

The box that contains these abbreviations is updatable. You can add your own or change any of the existing.

The buttons for the various countries are just to save you some time keying them up and currently relplace what is already in the box.

So if you wanted to combine USA and Canada:

1. Click on the USA flag button

2. Copy* the contents of abbreviations box to the clipboard

3. Click on the Canada flag button

4. Paste* (from the clipboard) to the end/bottom of the abbreviations box

*The abbreviations box conforms to the standard windows methods for copy and paste (Ctrl-C then Ctrl-V) but let me know if you don't know how to do this

Hey Clyde,

The other day i tried to export a GPX file and put it onto my laptop. The file converted fine but when I loaded it onto my laptop none of my found information was transferred. I re ran it and looked for a way to set it up so it would and I couldn't. I couldn't find any way to modify how the files were exported or imported. I wound up copying the backup file from my desktop and loading it to my laptop. Then used the restore function. Most of my found caches were shown in yellow then. How can I make this easier? I thought I had done this a long time ago and it worked. let me know what you think or if you need more info.

Thanks.

Hey Clyde,

The other day i tried to export a GPX file and put it onto my laptop. The file converted fine but when I loaded it onto my laptop none of my found information was transferred. I re ran it and looked for a way to set it up so it would and I couldn't. I couldn't find any way to modify how the files were exported or imported. I wound up copying the backup file from my desktop and loading it to my laptop. Then used the restore function. Most of my found caches were shown in yellow then. How can I make this easier? I thought I had done this a long time ago and it worked. let me know what you think or if you need more info.

Thanks.

It sounds like your laptop has not been configured correctly to identify you as the "finder and hider" of caches

In Tools=>Options=>General make sure you have the "method for matching hidden and found" caches filled out correctly. For more information see the help file or view this section online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

You can download individual .gpx files from geocaching.com if you're a premium member, but that's the hard way to do it.  GSAK will accept them however you get them.  Set up a pocket query, though, and make sure you select .zip format.  GSAK will open the .zip file directly, no need to unzip it if you don't want to.  You can drag-and-drop or select the File Open menu in GSAK, and select either a single file or an entire folder of files, either .gpx, .zip, or both.

I guess what I'm asking is if I can create a pocket query based on the waypoints I already have downloaded. I have over a hundred waypoints from EasyGPS as .loc files, but most of them are hand picked. I didn't just say "download all caches within 5 miles of X coord." That I could reproduce as a Pocket Query easily. So is there a way I can download or update the waypoints I already have?

You can use any of the standard Garmin icons.  You select the ones you want on the dialog that comes up when you select Send to GPS.  The ones listed are the defaults, but you can change them.

Is there a way to show the Garmin icons *in* GSAK?

You can download individual .gpx files from geocaching.com if you're a premium member, but that's the hard way to do it.  GSAK will accept them however you get them.  Set up a pocket query, though, and make sure you select .zip format.  GSAK will open the .zip file directly, no need to unzip it if you don't want to.  You can drag-and-drop or select the File Open menu in GSAK, and select either a single file or an entire folder of files, either .gpx, .zip, or both.

I guess what I'm asking is if I can create a pocket query based on the waypoints I already have downloaded. I have over a hundred waypoints from EasyGPS as .loc files, but most of them are hand picked. I didn't just say "download all caches within 5 miles of X coord." That I could reproduce as a Pocket Query easily. So is there a way I can download or update the waypoints I already have?

You can use any of the standard Garmin icons.  You select the ones you want on the dialog that comes up when you select Send to GPS.  The ones listed are the defaults, but you can change them.

Is there a way to show the Garmin icons *in* GSAK?

Groundspeak have a new feature called "bookmarks" that would suit this request perfectly. Unfortunately you can not do a PQ for a bookmark list - yet, it is coming. So unless you can devise a PQ that covers all these waypoint you are kind of stuck.

To see a list of the garmin icons, GPS=>Send waypoints, then click on the "change" button, then click on the "icon" drop down box.

Another method would be just to view the file "garmin.txt" located in the install folder of GSAK

OK... I'm a few days behind. And still confused with the whole "offline" webpage thing.

My question again:

>> If you split the main screen of GSAK, on the bottom appears an offline copy of the webpage for the highlighted cache. I was wondering how does this offline database of webpages get updated?

Motley said this is updated with new GPX files, but I don't think so since this "offline" database contains images from the online webpages. Am I missing something? When / how does this "offline" webpage database update with the images from the online webpages?!

Thanks.

John

OK... I'm a few days behind.  And still confused with the whole "offline" webpage thing.

My question again:

>> If you split the main screen of GSAK, on the bottom appears an offline copy of the webpage for the highlighted cache. I was wondering how does this offline database of webpages get updated?

Motley said this is updated with new GPX files, but I don't think so since this "offline" database contains images from the online webpages.  Am I missing something?  When / how does this "offline" webpage database update with the images from the online webpages?!

Thanks.

John

The GPX files (and hence the offline pages shown by GSAK) do not contain any images - only text (except for a few fixed images like the difficulty stars and cache type etc).

It is the text that is updated (any changes to the cache information + new logs) when you load a new PQ

Ok, I hear you asking - then why does the offline view show pictures. The answer here is that the GPX files (and hence GSAK offline view) does contain the links to the image files. So if you happen to be online at the time of displaying the offline page you will see the pictures. If you were not connected to the Internet (Laptop in your car for example) you would not see these pictures.

Edited by ClydeE

I have done this before but can't figure it out now. I want to open up a directory in Mapsource from GSAK. I tried to export to mapsource and it already has a mps file to create that is from the last time I did this. It is from a different directory and not the one I need. How do I open up a new directory in GSAK and get it to display on mapsource? Thanks.

I have done this before but can't figure it out now. I want to open up a directory in Mapsource from GSAK. I tried to export to mapsource and it already has a mps file to create that is from the last time I did this. It is from a different directory and not the one I need. How do I open up a new directory in GSAK and get it to display on mapsource? Thanks.

I know it would be eaiser to give you the answer direct. However, bear with me as you may be able to find other answers to your questions this way.

Open the MapSource dialog then click on the help button. Now move your mouse over the picture of the dialog. Notice the cursor shows the "hand" symbol - this means that where your mouse is currently located there is help about this section of the dialog. So move your mouse to the file name section, then left mouse click. You will find your answer there.

That is the first thing that I tried and it didn't help me a bit. In the mps file to create box is the following info. This is from the last time I got this to work for a directory called Nashville. C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff Hartman\Desktop\GSAK Files\Nashville.mps I have since created a new directory called Norcross. I tried to change the Nashville to Norcross and it came back with the message, you can not create file here, that folder does not exist. I am not sure how to make that folder. Like I said, I have a directory called Norcross and it has 250 caches in it. It has been saved in GSAK. I am confused.

When I load a GPX file (downloaded from geocaching.com) for a specific cache I already have in a database, I expect that GSAK will update the information if I have GSAK setupped to Database ALWAYS update option.

Why does GSAK doesn't update nothing(Cache type,Description, logs)? I don't know ...

If I use a ZIP(GPX) file that comes from a pocket query , that works ...

What I am doing wrong ?

(I am using 5.1.3B10)

That is the first thing that I tried and it didn't help me a bit.  In the mps file to create box is the following info.  This is from the last time I got this to work for a directory called Nashville.  C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff Hartman\Desktop\GSAK Files\Nashville.mps  I have since created a new directory called Norcross.  I tried to change the Nashville to Norcross and it came back with the message, you can not create file here, that folder does not exist.  I am not sure how to make that folder.  Like I said, I have a directory called Norcross and it has 250 caches in it.  It has been saved in GSAK.  I am confused.

I think you are confusing file names with folder/directory names.

Nashville.mps is a file name not a directory. So your statement "I got this to work for a directory called Nashville" just doesn't make sense looking at the path you have provided.

If you want to create a MPS file called Norcross.mps then just change your path above at the end to this name (another words, substitute Nashville.mps with Norcross.mps)

Edited by ClydeE
When I load a GPX file (downloaded from geocaching.com) for a specific cache I already have in a database, I expect that GSAK will update the information if I have GSAK setupped to Database ALWAYS update option.

Why does GSAK doesn't update nothing(Cache type,Description, logs)? I don't know ...

If I use a ZIP(GPX) file that comes from a pocket query , that works ...

What I am doing wrong ?

(I am using 5.1.3B10)

The information you describe not being updated implies you are downloading a LOC file and not a GPX file.

Single GPX files should upate GSAK with all the relevent information (like Cache type,Description, logs)

If you are sure your are downloading single GPX files then could you please:

1. File=>Backup and select just the database you are having the issue with (also make sure you tick the "settings" box

2. Email me the generated zip file, together with the GCXXXX code of at least one cache you believe you have a problem with. (please describe what information in the GSAK database you would expect to be changed by loading this GPX file)

I have done this and got the message  you can not create file here, that folder does not exist.  Do I have to save the directories as files?

If it is saying the folder does not exist then this implies you have since deleted that folder.

Another words at some stage you had a folder on your desktop called "GSAK Files". From this message it would appear you have deleted that folder.

If you haven't then the implication is one of the other folders in that path is missing, or you have inadvertantly change the folder path (perhaps a typing error)

You must enter a valid folder before GSAK can place a mapsource file in it. The best way to do this is by using the little folder icon as per the help file, because that is a windows dialog that will only show your valid file paths

Edited by ClydeE
I tried to send this to you but I got an error message that says, Directory path does not exist. You must create the file in a valid directory/path.

That is correct. You must select a valid path. Please select a valid path to place your Mapsource file in.

The path quoted above is no longer valid (for the possible reasons I have described). So select another folder (Desktop is an easy one that springs to mind) or use windows explorer to create a special folder to hold these files.

Is it possible to manually set the status of a cache to Unavailable ?

Right-click on the cache, choose Toggle Available/Unavailable status.

A minor point, but in the latest versions of GSAK it's "Toggle Cache Archive/Unavailable Status", because GSAK now has the ability to distinguish between (temporarily) unavailable caches and (permanently) archived caches.

Right clicking on the cache and choosing "Toggle..." will change the cache from Available to Unavailable, repeating the process will change it from Unavailable to Archived.

Edit: "Unavailable" changes the background color of the code field, "archived" puts a strikeout line through the code.

Edited by Kai Team
Is it possible to manually set the status of a cache to Unavailable ?

Right-click on the cache, choose Toggle Available/Unavailable status.

A minor point, but in the latest versions of GSAK it's "Toggle Cache Archive/Unavailable Status", because GSAK now has the ability to distinguish between (temporarily) unavailable caches and (permanently) archived caches.

Right clicking on the cache and choosing "Toggle..." will change the cache from Available to Unavailable, repeating the process will change it from Unavailable to Archived.

Edit: "Unavailable" changes the background color of the code field, "archived" puts a strikeout line through the code.

Yes, this is now a 3 way toggle (Available=>Temp unavailable=>archived, see help).

I find the quickest and easiest way to do this is using the F3 key

Ya. I don't have it on my work machine, so I was going from memory - thanks for clarifying. I plan on trying the "install on my USB keychain" thing tonight and see how that works out; there've been a couple of occasions where I wanted to update something to Cachemate but didn't have my laptop here... as my work machine has an IR port I'll be able to be truly mobile.

Semi-automatic logging - I understand directions for logging one cache offline, but if I want to log more than one, do I have to create my own macro (which I don't have a clue how to do) or can I just log an entire days caches offline at once, and then somehow log them on line?

Thanks!

Semi-automatic logging - I understand directions for logging one cache offline, but if I want to log more than one, do I have to create my own macro (which I don't have a clue how to do) or can I just log an entire days caches offline at once, and then somehow log them on line?

Thanks!

You can enter a whole days worth of cache logging offline then use the "semi automatic logging" feature to log your cahces when you get online.

A a macro would help to make this process more automated (you still can't do the lot with just one click of a button) and GSAK even comes shipped with a very basic macro that will do this for you. So you don't really have to understand how to write a macro, just add a button with this macro to the tool bar.

Now all you need to do is set a filter for the caches you logged offline, then you can click on the new button you just created to log thes caches online (all be it one at a time)

For more information please see http://www.gsak.net/help/hs38020.htm

Sorry if has been brought up.

Trying to save to MPS (mapsource) format with the new release and Mapsource says the file is not valid.

Not a very helpful error message by MapSource, but every time a user has had this issue with GSAK it is because duplicate waypoint names are being sent down to it.

The problem is usually a combination of your waypoint name tags and what you have set for maximum characters. For example if you have used %name as the first tag for your waypoint name, but you have set your maximum characters to 20. Then if the first 20 characters of any two cache names you export are the same you will get duplicate waypoints. Similar problem even if you are using %smart which generates unique names, but you have have set the maximum length shorter than your smart name length.

I'm having trouble uploading waypoints from GSAK. I have a page with 50 waypoints,but I only want to upload 4 of them, which are in the middle of the page. I have used the (clear all user flags) & then checked the 4 that I want to upload. I then checked (set for filter only) & all the waypoints have a checkmark.I can't seem to get the 4 that I want into my GPS. I'm sure it's something simple,but I can't seem to figure it out.

I'm having trouble uploading waypoints from GSAK. I have a page with 50 waypoints,but I only want to upload 4 of them, which are in the middle of the page. I have used the (clear all user flags) & then checked the 4 that I want to upload. I then checked (set for filter only) & all the waypoints have a checkmark.I can't seem to get the 4 that I want into my GPS. I'm sure it's something simple,but I can't seem to figure it out.

Nearly got it right. Just the last step is wrong (don't do the set for filter only bit) . You should be just setting a filter on User flag = set, then you will have a subset of just those 4 caches to send to your GPSr

Please also see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm.

Edited by ClydeE

So I have GSAK installed on my little USB drive now. It works fine on this machine, but I'm wondering if I'll have to actually "install" it on my other machines so that the various file associations and libraries get put in the right place? Or is all that stuff in the installed folder (in this case, on the USB drive) so that I can just run it from the drive and have everything where it's supposed to be in relation to the .exe already...

Can't wait to get to work tomorrow to test it out. First time I've felt that way about going to work in months. Thanks Clyde. :)

So I have GSAK installed on my little USB drive now. It works fine on this machine, but I'm wondering if I'll have to actually "install" it on my other machines so that the various file associations and libraries get put in the right place? Or is all that stuff in the installed folder (in this case, on the USB drive) so that I can just run it from the drive and have everything where it's supposed to be in relation to the .exe already...

Can't wait to get to work tomorrow to test it out. First time I've felt that way about going to work in months. Thanks Clyde. :)

Strictly speaking you should install GSAK on the target computer as well (to the memory stick again is ok). This will make sure file associations are restored and dlls and other required files are correctly placed in your Windows system folder.

You could try just running the Gsak.exe file directly from the USB drive (let me know how you get on) but I think the database engine will choke, because it is fussy about some of the files being correctly stored in the windows system folder.

Semi-automatic logging -  I understand directions for logging one cache offline, but if I want to log more than one, do I have to create my own macro (which I don't have a clue how to do)  or can I just log an entire days caches offline at once, and then somehow log them on line?

Thanks!

You can enter a whole days worth of cache logging offline then use the "semi automatic logging" feature to log your cahces when you get online.

A a macro would help to make this process more automated (you still can't do the lot with just one click of a button) and GSAK even comes shipped with a very basic macro that will do this for you. So you don't really have to understand how to write a macro, just add a button with this macro to the tool bar.

Now all you need to do is set a filter for the caches you logged offline, then you can click on the new button you just created to log thes caches online (all be it one at a time)

For more information please see http://www.gsak.net/help/hs38020.htm

I read the help file and think I understand, but how do I add a button for the macro that is supplied by GSAK? How do I enable that macro?

Also I remember reading about this- but I can't find it any longer---- After exporting GSAK to html and then using Plucker to load into my PDA-- how to I get images to show up (like spoilers) in my PDA?

Thanks for all your help!

I read the help file and think I understand, but how do I add a button for the macro that is supplied by GSAK? How do I enable that macro?

1. Right mouse click on the tool bar and select "Macro buttons configuration"

2. Allocate the "LogCache.txt" file to one of the 10 available macro buttons, configure the settings, then click on save.

3. Right mouse click again on the tool bar and select "Customize tool bar"

4. In the category section click on "Macros"

5. Drag the button you configured in step 2 to the tool bar

6. Click on OK, to get out of tool bar customization

Also I remember reading about this- but I can't find it any longer---- After exporting GSAK to html and then using Plucker to load into my PDA-- how to I get images to show up (like spoilers) in my PDA?

Yes, as did I. Unfortunately I don't use plucker so I can't remember the exact steps myself. Basically it involves changing some settings in plucker (depth and/or something else?) but unless you get these settings right it can slow your plucker generation dramatically. Hopefully, someone that uses plucker to do this will be able to chime in here.

Edited by ClydeE

Is it possible to save/retrieve the current "user flags" like, for instance, the filters. I use them to mark caches that I want to do in the future and find it limiting that there can only be one set. Is there another way to "bookmark" several sets of caches for further use?

Cheers

Roolku

Is it possible to save/retrieve the current "user flags" like, for instance, the filters. I use them to mark caches that I want to do in the future and find it limiting that there can only be one set. Is there another way to "bookmark" several sets of caches for further use?

There is not really a "native" way of doing this like the filters but there is a work around that will get the job done.

1. Set The user flags as required

2. Set a filter on user flag = set

3. Export this sub set to a GPX file (or LOC file it doesn't really matter)

Now, when ever you want to set the user flags to exactly match the subset above, load in the GPX/LOC file generated in step 3 with the following settings (see the red arrows):

Note: These settings allow you to just set the user flag in the database - nothing else in the database is added/changed

load1.png

Edited by ClydeE

Feature Suggestion:

I was thinking it would be nice if when one selected a picture to add to a 'user note' if GSAK made a copy of that picture and stored it somewhere else to access it, rather than use the original file.

Reason being, is I've got a site that I can get aerial photos from for large portions of Alberta. When I save the website that has the picture on it, that file will always have the same name, regardless of what area I'm looking at. If I want to keep the file around, I have to manually change the file name to something different, otherwise when it comes time to save another file, it will be overwritten. If GSAK were to save the file with an internally generated name, to a directory within the GSAK folder, it would save me some hassle. Come to think of it, the same situation would apply if I wanted to save the "mapquest" maps.

Anyways just a thought.

Nearly got it right. Just the last step is wrong (don't do the set for filter only bit) . You should be just setting a filter on User flag = set, then you will have a subset of just those 4 caches to send to your GPSr

Please also see item 8 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm.

I'm still not sure what you mean by (user flag equals set) I guess I am getting closer if I have got it down to the last step. Thanks for the help

I'm still not sure what you mean by (user flag equals set) I guess I am getting closer if I have got it down to the last step. Thanks for the help

After setting the user flags for the waypoints you want to download to your GPSr, click on Search>Filter, or press Ctrl-F, or click on the Filter button on the toolbar (looks like a magnifying glass over a piece of paper), whichever is easiest for you.

On the general tab of the "Set Filter" dialog, to the right of "User Flag Set", UNcheck the "Not Set" box. Click the "Save" button and name this filter "User Flag = Set". Click "Go".

This will filter the database so that only the waypoints with the user flag set are showing, and only those caches will then be downloaded to your GPSr when you "send waypoints".

Since you saved the filter, in the future you can just choose "User Flag = Set" from the "Select a Saved Filter" drop down and then send only your marked waypoints to the GPSr.

Edited by Kai Team

BUG.

I was trying to talk a friend through the setup for MapSend and mSD waypoint generation. Selecting the icons for waypoints the icons didn't match the name.

For example the Box name had a camping icon next to it. I don't remember it being like this when I first installed GSAK. I haven't looked at the icons since I installed 'till I needed to explain the process to my friend. The crossed box had the Ariel icon next to it. ect... Not all of them were mismatched though.

BUG.

I was trying to talk a friend through the setup for MapSend and mSD waypoint generation. Selecting the icons for waypoints the icons didn't match the name.

For example the Box name had a camping icon next to it. I don't remember it being like this when I first installed GSAK. I haven't looked at the icons since I installed 'till I needed to explain the process to my friend. The crossed box had the Ariel icon next to it. ect... Not all of them were mismatched though.

This is very strange. I have no other reports of this problem.

What do you mean by "MapSend and mSD"? (or more to the point, what is mSD)

Are you saying you see the problem in MapSend or mSD or both ?