GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

This can be pasted into Tools..options...HTML  to allow you to view the waypoint by Google maps (stil in Beta but I plain like their look).. i think this works OK, will switch to a fully zoomed view.

Google maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat%2C%lon&&hl=en&spn=0.005,0.005

Does not seem to work in Australia. If you zoom out on the Google map it soon becomes obvious that it is yet another US-only service.

In a previous version of GSAK (prior to 5.1.2 - not sure how old) when I exported the database as HTML (File>Export>HTML Files...) or CTL-H, all the cache pages had a URL containing the GCxxxx code as part of the URL (eg .../GCABCD.HTML). This seems to have been replaced by a number unrelated to the cache code (eg. .../42.HTML). This is not very useful to me because I used to be able to go from one cache to the next by just over-typing the new GC code in the URL. Now I always have to go to the next cache page via the "Waypoint Code" in the "Master Index". This is MUCH slower and quite annoying to have to do.

Am I missing an option somewhere? How do I change the generated HTML to create URLs with GCxxx.html instead of nnn.html?

Please see this post

In a previous version of GSAK (prior to 5.1.2 - not sure how old) when I exported the database as HTML (File>Export>HTML Files...) or CTL-H, all the cache pages had a URL containing the GCxxxx code as part of the URL (eg .../GCABCD.HTML). This seems to have been replaced by a number unrelated to the cache code (eg. .../42.HTML). This is not very useful to me because I used to be able to go from one cache to the next by just over-typing the new GC code in the URL. Now I always have to go to the next cache page via the "Waypoint Code" in the "Master Index". This is MUCH slower and quite annoying to have to do.

Am I missing an option somewhere? How do I change the generated HTML to create URLs with GCxxx.html instead of nnn.html?

Please see this post

Hi Clyde,

Thanks for the response. Your link does not help because it refers to HTML addresses with waypoint NAMES giving problems with question marks, etc. However, you used to allow Waypoint CODES (eg GCMMYR or GC9331, etc) to be used. These are controlled codes as used by GC.com and do not have any special characters in them.

I understand that there may be other geocaching sites with different schemes that might cause a problem, but if I only use GC.com then it would be really nice to have a user option to select GCxxxx.HTML as the final part of the URL address.

Lastly, which tags to you use to export both the waypoint code (GCXXXX) and it's name without the name of the individual who placed the cache?

You can use these tags:

%gcid %Name

The name of the individual would be: %By

I just found the Special Tags in the Help file or I would have been asking the same question or one similar.

I wanted the GCid to be sent to the comment field when I send a waypoint to the GPS. I got it now with

%gcid %Name by %By

:rolleyes:

Please see this post

Hi Clyde,

Thanks for the response. Your link does not help because it refers to HTML addresses with waypoint NAMES giving problems with question marks, etc. However, you used to allow Waypoint CODES (eg GCMMYR or GC9331, etc) to be used. These are controlled codes as used by GC.com and do not have any special characters in them.

I understand that there may be other geocaching sites with different schemes that might cause a problem, but if I only use GC.com then it would be really nice to have a user option to select GCxxxx.HTML as the final part of the URL address.

Though the post does reference the term "name" I was indeed refering to the waypoint code.

There is also the issue of being able to add/change the waypoint codes for parking spots, multis, etc (right mouse click). So for consistency, and to ensure all HTML file names are valid, the numbering system had to be invoked.

Sorry, can't please everyone.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a LOC downloaded from a Bookmark List to update the user flags in my GSAK database without destroying all the good data already there from my daily Pocket Queries.

So far I'm not having good results... Anyone have any ideas?

I would simply like to set the user flag of all caches in the loc file (and therefore the bookmark list).

I tried it (in the USA) and it took me to the correct map for the area, but did not display any marker for the cache. I used a few caches with known locations and they would be at the center of the map when it first appears, but it's hard to keep track of where the cache would be when you pan or zoom.

Is this normal behavior for this site or should it be showing a marker for the waypoint?

Seems to be.. I've seen it requested a few times, that they use crosshairs or somesuch to actually show the center of the map.

This is still a Google beta, but those maps (unofortunately, USA only still :rolleyes: ) are SO nice to zoom / pan. And you can do a google.com websearch for businesses over the visible map area (!)

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a LOC downloaded from a Bookmark List to update the user flags in my GSAK database without destroying all the good data already there from my daily Pocket Queries.

So far I'm not having good results...  Anyone have any ideas?

I would simply like to set the user flag of all caches in the loc file (and therefore the bookmark list).

Certainly, you can do this.

Take a look at this post

Though it does refer to Cachemate GPX files, the same thing applies to loc files. All you need to do is follow step 1 in that post

Edited by ClydeE

So far I'm not having good results...  Anyone have any ideas?

Certainly, you can do this.

Take a look at this post

Though it does refer to Cachemate GPX files, the same thing applies to loc files. All you need to do is follow step 1 in that post

Thanks Clyde.... that did the trick!

I have an interesting situation here...I use GeoToad to grab caches in my region nightly. GeoToad produces a .gpx file. I import these into GSAK, but some elements of data don't appear to import.

When I (lightly) compare the .gpx output file vs the sample.gpx file included in the gsak package, the files *look* similar, but certain data (container, last found, last log..etc) don't import - even though they appear to be properly wrapped with the appropriate xml tag.

Any thoughts? I can provide you with my output files if need be.

Again, awesome program! Thanks!

PS - Apologies to all if this was discussed before, I searched for a few hours and couldn't find anything - a direct to the appropriate thread would be appreciated.

Hmm, I haven't looked at the Goetoad files for a while so something might have changed.

Could you please email me one of these files so I can interrogate. Thx.

Hi Clyde, Done...should be in yer inbox.

Thanks for looking into this!

Brad

http://bratandtesty.blogspot.com

I'm having a great time with GSAK, thank you very much.

One question. Is it possible to use the same database on two networked computers? I have my office in my home and I have GSAK running on both. I use my office computer during the day and then switch to the laptop in the family room after work.

I realize that I can restore a backed up database from one to the other, but I thought maybe there was a way to simply have both computers access the same database all the time.

Thanks,

RT

I'm having a great time with GSAK, thank you very much.

One question. Is it possible to use the same database on two networked computers? I have my office in my home and I have GSAK running on both. I use my office computer during the day and then switch to the laptop in the family room after work.

I realize that I can restore a backed up database from one to the other, but I thought maybe there was a way to simply have both computers access the same database all the time.

Thanks,

RT

Yes, you can do this, but not simultaneously. Just make sure you exit GSAK in your office before you start it up again on your Laptop.

That is, GSAK is not multi user. Is is ok to share a GSAK database (you can set this up via the "Database Folder" in Tools=>Options=>General) with several computes on a network - you just can't have each computer sharing the database at the same time.

Edited by ClydeE

We have placed some caches but we have changed the name of who they are placed by, so they don't all say by "The4B's". How can I get these other caches to show up as ours (with green background) in GSAK? I've changed the owner's name myself so it appears fine until I do the next GPX upload. Then it gets overwritten with the new information and looks like someone else's cache that I have not found. I do like to get the updates so I get the up to date off-line view updated. Thanks.

We have placed some caches but we have changed the name of who they are placed by, so they don't all say by "The4B's". How can I get these other caches to show up as ours (with green background) in GSAK? I've changed the owner's name myself so it appears fine until I do the next GPX upload. Then it gets overwritten with the new information and looks like someone else's cache that I have not found. I do like to get the updates so I get the up to date off-line view updated. Thanks.

This is where you need to tell GSAK to match you by geocaching.com ID number rather than name (via Tools=>Options=>General).

When you change your name, your Geochaing.com number does not alter and is the best choice for matching in this situation.

For more information refer to the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

This is where you need to tell GSAK to match you by geocaching.com ID number rather than name (via Tools=>Options=>General).

When you change your name, your Geochaing.com number does not alter and is the best choice for matching in this situation.

For more information refer to the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs7690.htm

Thank you! :rolleyes:

I have created a database on GSAK that keeps track of all the geocaches that I have found (over 500 and so can't be done with a single PQ) including those that have been archived. But I am having some trouble in figuring out how to get the most recent updates added in using pocket queries. I tried in the PQ to check the box "updated in the last week", but then this gives me an unwanted time restriction and will not update when checking the Always option. My caches are located worldwide, so I highlight the "None" option under States/Provinces. This PQ gives me the correct total number but does not give me the most recent logs. Is there a way I can do this without running over the limit of 500 for a PQ?

I'm seeing strange behavior related to the scroll bar. (I'm running 5.1.2)

I have a database of around 380 caches/benchmarks. When I open it, and then using the scroll bar, page down until the "elevator" reaches the bottom, I'm not really at the bottom of the list. If I click on the down arrow in the scroll bar it appears there are over half of my caches still left to display. When I open another database of around 100 caches (no benchmarks) the scroll bar behavior is correct. When I open another database of around 350 benchmarks only, the incorrect behavior happens.

Coult it be related to benchmarks?

That is, GSAK is not multi user. Is is ok to share a GSAK database (you can set this up via the "Database Folder" in Tools=>Options=>General) with several computes on a network - you just can't have each computer sharing the database at the same time.

Thanks, Clyde. Don't know why that simple step didn't occur to me before, but I have it working now. I understand that I can't be working on both computers at the same time, but I really haven't figured out a good way to be in two places at once anyway. Once I figure out how to do that, watch out world!

RT

I'm seeing strange behavior related to the scroll bar. (I'm running 5.1.2)

I have a database of around 380 caches/benchmarks. When I open it, and then using the scroll bar, page down until the "elevator" reaches the bottom, I'm not really at the bottom of the list. If I click on the down arrow in the scroll bar it appears there are over half of my caches still left to display. When I open another database of around 100 caches (no benchmarks) the scroll bar behavior is correct. When I open another database of around 350 benchmarks only, the incorrect behavior happens.

Coult it be related to benchmarks?

No, unfortunately this one is a known quirk of how the underlying database engine interfaces with the grid dispaly and the scroll bar. Many factors are involved but it depends on the size of the database and the sequence the records are sorted.

This PQ gives me the correct total number but does not give me the most recent logs. Is there a way I can do this without running over the limit of 500 for a PQ?

I don't quite understand this. Why would it not give you the most current logs?

That is, what is your basis for saying the most current logs are not included witht he GPX file generated by this PQ?

This PQ gives me the correct total number but does not give me the most recent logs.  Is there a way I can do this without running over the limit of 500 for a PQ?

I don't quite understand this. Why would it not give you the most current logs?

That is, what is your basis for saying the most current logs are not included witht he GPX file generated by this PQ?

Sorry, my mistake, Clyde. I was misled by two things. One was assuming that the "Last GPX" column prints out the present date of my latest PQ when you check the "Always Update" option upon loading. So when I sorted on that column, I got a whole bunch of old dates ! The other thing was failing to notice that archived and locationless caches do not get updated by the PQ. The logs for active "regular" caches were all OK and updated correctly except for those that had not been found or annotated since the previous PQ. No wonder you were confused by my question ! Thanks very much. Bill

Hello Clyde

do you consider to make GSAK multilingual, e.g. German and other languages?Maybe other users and also myself will help you to translate the different windows.

Chris

Yes.

However, I will confess this is not a high priority on my "to do" list. There are many more features I will be adding before this happens.

I guess it comes down to supply and demand and at the moment the GSAK user base is predominately English speaking. That is not to say I don't have non English speaking users and I appreciate their support. However, at this point in time I am directing my efforts into adding/updating features that will be useful to the majority of GSAK users.

Feature request...

It would be nice if I could have benchmark counts (finds/notfinds) separated from cache counts.

Hmm, the problem I see here is where does this end? Separate counts for Terracaching.com caches? GpsGames.org? GeoDashing? This list goes on. This is really what databases are for.

Most users in this situation just create a new database and place the benchmarks in that. Now all your found/not found counts are correct just for benchmarks.

If for some reason your really must have your benchmarks and geocaching data in the same database, then I suggest you save filters to separate them and add macro buttons to the tool bar to invoke these filters. Now your benchmark counts are only one mouse click away.

I loaded my pocket query into GSAK, deleted a couple of caches, then downloaded it into my Palm Tungsten E. When I checked it with Cachemate I found that I had some complete records, and some not so much. Some records had the cache name, coords, and that 's about it. No description, hint, etc. Anyone know what went wrong?

I loaded my pocket query into GSAK, deleted a couple of caches, then downloaded it into my Palm Tungsten E. When I checked it with Cachemate I found that I had some complete records, and some not so much. Some records had the cache name, coords, and that 's about it. No description, hint, etc. Anyone know what went wrong?

The caches with the missing information sound like they have been loaded in your GSAK database using LOC files. Please see items 2 and 10 of the GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

I've been using PC's since the early 80's, in all that time I don't think I have ever bothered to read a 'Version History' when I update a software title, ...until now. GSAK is the first time I actually look forward to reading it just to see what wonderful new features or what minor little bugs got added and fixed.

This might sound like a trivial thing to some of you but being a software engineer myself I have always hated writing these things, for the first time I realize there are actually people out there who might use them.

Thanks Clyde for this ever improving, wonderfully helpful software.

I have search for this topic but actually found nothing on this ...

Is there a way to filter out the caches that I was FTF (First to Find) ?

Thanks

OpusTerra

Until it bubbles up to the top of Clyde's "list", have you thought about using the "User Data" field? I code an "F" in that field for my FTF's and then it's a simple filter.

Steve

Thanks

OpusTerra

Until it bubbles up to the top of Clyde's "list", have you thought about using the "User Data" field? I code an "F" in that field for my FTF's and then it's a simple filter.

Steve

I was thinking about a programmatic way to do the job of selecting the FTF for me, but in the meanwhile I can cycle thru my found caches and update manually the user data to indicate a kind of FTF status.

Good suggestion, thanks!

Currently no, but I will add this to "the list".

That would be a good trick when GSAK database doesn't contain the log of the real FTF of geocache.

Thanks

OpusTerra

Steve

I was thinking about a programmatic way to do the job of selecting the FTF for me, but in the meanwhile I can cycle thru my found caches and update manually the user data to indicate a kind of FTF status.

Good suggestion, thanks!

Finding a way of 'programmatically' doing this might be difficult as (AFAIK) there is no indication of a FF in the PQ GPX file - it might well require a custom GSAK field. If anyone can come up with an automatic way then I'm sure Clyde can :blink:.

(PS. I also use and 'F' in the user data area for this purpose.)

Finding a way of 'programmatically' doing this might be difficult as (AFAIK) there is no indication of a FF in the PQ GPX file

Unfortunately this is correct. The only way to currently do this 'programmatically' is to interrogate the logs and if the "oldest" found log is yours then it is a FTF for you.

However, as AllenLacy pointed out, there is one major flaw with this approach. The GSAK database needs to be populated with ALL found logs for this cache (or at the very least a found log that is older than yours if one exists). You only get the last 5 logs (plus your own) in a PQ, but GSAK does accumulate logs, so it really depends when you started populating the GSAK database as to how successful this method would be.

So to add this feature properly I would really need to add a new column (FTF) and allow the user to control the status (and allow filtering). I could allow the above method to indicate 'possible" FTF but then it would be the responsibility of the user to update the FTF column to get this 100% correct.

Edited by ClydeE
I've been using PC's since the early 80's, in all that time I don't think I have ever bothered to read a 'Version History' when I update a software title, ...until now. GSAK is the first time I actually look forward to reading it just to see what wonderful new features or what minor little bugs got added and fixed.

This might sound like a trivial thing to some of you but being a software engineer myself I have always hated writing these things, for the first time I realize there are actually people out there who might use them.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am glad someone reads that stuff :blink: (the help file is actaully a very significant cost in time, and like all programmers it is something I hate doing :blink: )

BTW for those that hadn't realized (perhaps you have your automatic update notification turned off) version 5.1.3 has just been released (though don't get too excited as it is just a maintenace release)

For a list of changes please see the version history

To download please click on the link in my sig.

I just upgraded to 5.1.3. GSAk opens, I can export to my PDA, but i get the following error every time I try to send to my GPS:

"List index out of bounds (0)."

Then GSAK shuts down.

I tried downloading it again, no luck.

Any help?

Thanks.

Tools=>Options=>Send debug info to clyde

Then please email me the tracking number

I had problems with the version I originally downloaded. Everytime I opened it, it would end up "Not Responding." I downloaded a newer version and it is now working, but I have no idea how to start.

(I'm also downloading the latest version right now.)

I've never worked with database programs before and really don't have a clue how to manipulate the 120 caches I have in GSAK at present. I created a new database for "Found" but I don't know what to do now.

Do you have a very simple exercise you can walk me through so I can get an idea what this program does.

I'm successfully using Cachemate with my Palm and I've had no problems downloading the waypoints to my Garmin Vista, but I am at a total loss looking at this program. :blink:

YA!!

What he said !!

I've never worked with database programs before and really don't have a clue how to manipulate the 120 caches I have in GSAK at present. I created a new database for "Found" but I don't know what to do now.

Do you have a very simple exercise you can walk me through so I can get an idea what this program does.

I guess one of the problems now is that GSAK can now do so much, all the options can be bewildering.

However to provide a "simple exercise" we really need to know what it is you want GSAK to do for you?

That is, what is the area you are struggling to come to terms with (Searching the database, exporting to cachemate, loading in new data, using the menu)

Also a good starting point is "Getting started" in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs32570.htm

Clyde,

I don't know if anyone has asked so I'll ask anyway. Do you have or do you plan to have a version of GSAK that will run on Windows Pocket PC software that would sync up with the desktop version?. That would be really great, cool, wonderful, useful, ... you get the picture. I was caching today with someone using GPX sonar on a pocket PC. It’s nice but it’s just not the same.

Let us know.

Never having worked with a database program before, I honestly don't know what I want the program to do. I'm willing to learn if it can be useful for me, but I just don't have a clue what a database can do. :(

I guess I would like to know how to move the caches I have found to the "Found" database so they are not in the list of 120 caches anymore. Is that something GSAK does?

I don't know if anyone has asked so I'll ask anyway. Do you have or do you plan to have a version of GSAK that will run on Windows Pocket PC software that would sync up with the desktop version?. That would be really great, cool, wonderful, useful, ... you get the picture. I was caching today with someone using GPX sonar on a pocket PC. It’s nice but it’s just not the same.

I am sorry to say the answer is no.

One of the problems is that much of the power of GSAK just can't be ported to the Pocket PC, so only a sub set would get there and this is sure to disappoint many.

I regard GPX Sonar very highly and would have to say it is the best Geocaching app for the Pocket PC. I really think I would struggle to come out with anything that would surpass GPX Sonar and you can't beat the price.

Never having worked with a database program before, I honestly don't know what I want the program to do. I'm willing to learn if it can be useful for me, but I just don't have a clue what a database can do. :(

I guess I would like to know how to move the caches I have found to the "Found" database so they are not in the list of 120 caches anymore. Is that something GSAK does?

Filters (Search=>Filter) allow you see and work with just about any subset of information in your database.

However, if you really want to move these over to another database then use the "Database=>Move/copy waypoints" option

....I guess one of the problems now is that GSAK can now do so much, all the options can be bewildering....

Bingo!

Right now I just use it to consolidate my finds from single cache GPX files. That probably doesn't use much of it's power but nothing else did the job.

When I'm ready to work with Navicache filtered through GPSBabel into GPX files ... I'll fork over the money and start asking questions.

I get a message that says "Sorry this filter contains '0' waypoints, the filter will not be set." I have put check marks in front of the caches I have found. How else to I designate those caches as ones I have found?

Sorry I'm such an idiot . . . :(

I get a message that says "Sorry this filter contains '0' waypoints, the filter will not be set." I have put check marks in front of the caches I have found. How else to I designate those caches as ones I have found?

Sorry I'm such an idiot . . . :(

Your found status will be automatically updated if you are loading GPX files from Geocaching.com (requires premium membership). However, if you want/need to update them manually you can do so, just click your mouse in the check box of the found column see pic below

filter6.png

Do not confuse this with the user flag

filter7.png

Now, if you just want a subset of your found caches then Seach=>Filter and set as per the picture below

filter5.png

I have also noticed that occasionally the information doesn't get from GSAK to Cachemate. I know the data is in GSAK, and I use a standard saved export setup, but now and then the description, etc just doesn't get to Cachemate. Usually a new export works just fine. Others have this problem too, but I have no idea where the problem is - GSAK, Cachemate, or somewhere in between.

To add to the Google Maps discussion earlier, I'm crossposting this from a different thread since it's only useful via GSAK:

I've just been futzing around with some of the various Google Maps hacks out there, and I've managed to cobble together a GSAK custom URL that will show you your cache, with pin marker, via Google Maps. This goes to a wrapper script on my site that loads the map in an IFRAME, but don't worry, you're not sending any information beyond that freely available in the cache listing (name, waypoint, lat/long). It works but is very simplistic at this point:

Google Maps=http://massivebraincase.org/gmaps/?title=%code|lat=%lat|lng=%lon|desc=%name

Let me know what you think.